Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Nymph

God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
The-Real-Youth
God Emperor Akhenaton
The-Real-Youth
No, we don't need more video games with the "overly-sexualized-female-character" stereotype. It's ostracizing the female gaming community and reinforcing sexist potrays of women.

C'mon guys, did Harley Quinn really need to wear that revealing nurses' outfit in Arkham Asylum?

Sexualizing women is not sexist. Humans are sexual and that is the reason why we aren't extinct.
There's a difference between being sexual, and being sexualized. I'm not saying it's wrong to be seen as attractive or engage in sexual activities. The point I was trying to make is how women are usually nothing more than something nice to look at in video games, and they usually have no character value whatsoever, except for either being trophies or sidekicks.
Sorry to tell you this, but the end game is sex for humans. That includes the fact that both men and women are nothing more than objects to look at.

Yes, that clearly makes it okay to reduce women to objects to look at and masturbate over.

If you don't like it, then become a lesbian.

I see you have a poor grasp on sexuality, too.

Yes, it's that simple. rolleyes Don't bother trying to change a mindset in hopes that both sexes can view each other as something beyond a vehicle for procreation. Just go gay.

I pity any female you date since the concept of treating women like human beings seems to be beyond your grasp. I can see it now; "What baby? What do you mean you have feelings and stuff like an actual person. You're just here for my sexual gratification."
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
The-Real-Youth
There's a difference between being sexual, and being sexualized. I'm not saying it's wrong to be seen as attractive or engage in sexual activities. The point I was trying to make is how women are usually nothing more than something nice to look at in video games, and they usually have no character value whatsoever, except for either being trophies or sidekicks.
Sorry to tell you this, but the end game is sex for humans. That includes the fact that both men and women are nothing more than objects to look at.

Yes, that clearly makes it okay to reduce women to objects to look at and masturbate over.

Yes, it's that simple. rolleyes Don't bother trying to change a mindset in hopes that both sexes can view each other as something beyond a vehicle for procreation. Just go gay.

I pity any female you date since the concept of treating women like human beings seems to be beyond your grasp. I can see it now; "What baby? What do you mean you have feelings and stuff like an actual person. You're just here for my sexual gratification."

I do treat women as human beings. The problem is that you assume human beings are anything but sex objects. Technology, civilization? ******** it. They would not exist without procreation.

Feral Nymph

God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
The-Real-Youth

I do treat women as human beings. The problem is that you assume human beings are anything but sex objects. Technology, civilization? ******** it. They would not exist without procreation.

So, in your mind, there's no point to life except for procreation. That's rather sad. One of the fascinating things about humans is that they can rise above that and understand that while continuing the species is an important process, there's more to life then that. Well, most do. You seem hung up on the procreation bit.
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist

So, in your mind, there's no point to life except for procreation. That's rather sad. One of the fascinating things about humans is that they can rise above that and understand that while continuing the species is an important process, there's more to life then that. Well, most do. You seem hung up on the procreation bit.

You have too much faith in humanity then

Feral Nymph

God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist

Uh, what? Just because you and a good portion of the male gamer population can't move beyond the sex doesn't mean the entire human population is like that. Nor do I think we should collectively bow down to you and your ilk's idea that women are just sex objects (please find me a video game version of a male character who is as sexualized as Bayonetta)

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist
God Emperor Akhenaton
Pessimist

Uh, what? Just because you and a good portion of the male gamer population can't move beyond the sex doesn't mean the entire human population is like that. Nor do I think we should collectively bow down to you and your ilk's idea that women are just sex objects (please find me a video game version of a male character who is as sexualized as Bayonetta)

I think (just guessing) what he is really trying to say is that it's completely natural and healthy for someone to be attracted to a fictional character, and seeing a fictional character as a "sex object" is okay to a certain extent. It's not like the fictional character is going to be offended ... it's fiction.

Human sexuality is very complicated. We are creatures that will find sex in anything. Shoot, I'm often attracted to women and some men in elaborate Victorian/Rococo inspired dresses ... because well ... I like dresses. I don't feel bad about looking at a dress on a mannequin, imagining all the sorts of women or men that could wear the dress, or imagining it on myself, or just laying on a bed hugging the fabric to myself (yeah I am odd, I know). I don't feel bad knowing that if I buy that dress I'm mostly buying it because of my own sexual thoughts. When I buy a romance novel, I don't feel bad knowing the only reason they sell at all is because of the stupid sex scenes implied. I don't feel bad knowing that I might get hot and bothered over the juicy scenes.

I don't feel bad when I purchase a video game that clearly has some scantily clad beautiful women characters. Since my favorite video games happen to come from Japan, I've noticed many of these female characters, even when scantily clad, are still powerful and complicated characters (I wonder why it seems more common in Japanese games). Some of these powerful women are in non-Japanese games I've seen and or played. Here are some games I've known of with powerful female characters who often look rather sexy.

Elfaria from Odin Sphere
Velvet also from Odin Sphere
Alma from F.E.A.R. (well at least as an adult she's fairly hot, and NAKED!)
Many female characters from Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Bayonetta from Bayonetta (lol I had a conversation with someone about her in this thread)
One or two from the God of War series

Yeah, sometimes women in video games are just meant to be eye candy and not major characters. So what? Just don't buy the game if you don't want to be exposed to that. The sex appeal is just another way to make a game more interesting. Sex appeal makes a lot of things interesting, and people will buy stuff they don't need because of the sex appeal. A game can certainly be good without eye candy, depending on the game. Usually those are the best games out there, usually, not always. It is all subjective. I know of one game that didn't rely on sex appeal ... Deadly Premonition. It was considered to be one of the most horrible games out there, but thanks to the entertaining story, it's a cult classic. It's still a terrible game with horrible controls and really stupid and easily defeated enemies, and unlimited ammunition. As if the game wasn't easy enough! Video game designers and producers and such basically go into the bag of tricks about how to what makes a game good, and the bag of tricks about how to make a game sell. You want a game to be good? Well design it nicely. Want it to sell? That's trickier.

Devoted Genius

8,775 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
God Emperor Akhenaton
You find it degrading because culture condemns sexual females. You can't change nature more than you can stop a lava flow.
As I've said, I'm not saying it's wrong for a woman to be sexual, but to be seen as nothing more than sexual. As in, a breathing ********. Is this a hard concept to understand?

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie

I think (just guessing) what he is really trying to say is that it's completely natural and healthy for someone to be attracted to a fictional character, and seeing a fictional character as a "sex object" is okay to a certain extent. It's not like the fictional character is going to be offended ... it's fiction.

Human sexuality is very complicated. We are creatures that will find sex in anything. Shoot, I'm often attracted to women and some men in elaborate Victorian/Rococo inspired dresses ... because well ... I like dresses. I don't feel bad about looking at a dress on a mannequin, imagining all the sorts of women or men that could wear the dress, or imagining it on myself, or just laying on a bed hugging the fabric to myself (yeah I am odd, I know). I don't feel bad knowing that if I buy that dress I'm mostly buying it because of my own sexual thoughts. When I buy a romance novel, I don't feel bad knowing the only reason they sell at all is because of the stupid sex scenes implied. I don't feel bad knowing that I might get hot and bothered over the juicy scenes.

I don't feel bad when I purchase a video game that clearly has some scantily clad beautiful women characters. Since my favorite video games happen to come from Japan, I've noticed many of these female characters, even when scantily clad, are still powerful and complicated characters (I wonder why it seems more common in Japanese games). Some of these powerful women are in non-Japanese games I've seen and or played. Here are some games I've known of with powerful female characters who often look rather sexy.

Elfaria from Odin Sphere
Bayonetta from Bayonetta (lol I had a conversation with someone about her in this thread)

Yeah, sometimes women in video games are just meant to be eye candy and not major characters. So what? Just don't buy the game if you don't want to be exposed to that. The sex appeal is just another way to make a game more interesting. Sex appeal makes a lot of things interesting, and people will buy stuff they don't need because of the sex appeal. A game can certainly be good without eye candy, depending on the game. Usually those are the best games out there, usually, not always. It is all subjective. I know of one game that didn't rely on sex appeal ... Deadly Premonition. It was considered to be one of the most horrible games out there, but thanks to the entertaining story, it's a cult classic. It's still a terrible game with horrible controls and really stupid and easily defeated enemies, and unlimited ammunition. As if the game wasn't easy enough! Video game designers and producers and such basically go into the bag of tricks about how to what makes a game good, and the bag of tricks about how to make a game sell. You want a game to be good? Well design it nicely. Want it to sell? That's trickier.

That seems like a bit of a stretch, but whatever.

And, yes, that was me who you were talking about with when it came to Bayonetta. And, no, I didn't buy the game precisely because I found the trailers that did nothing but outline her in-your-face sex appeal offensive.

Were this a more two-way street, I wouldn't be complaining as much. But I'm still not seeing examples of male characters who are presented on screen as nothing but sex appeal. And, no, big musclely characters like Kratos, anyone from GoW, etc are not made for sex appeal. They're still created with the male gamer in mind, and serve to make the gamer feel powerful.

There's a mindset in the general male gaming community that publishers should cater exclusively to them, never mind anyone else who wants to play. This mindset is one that they need to get over, because more people are entering the gaming community, and it's no longer in the publisher's best interests to cater solely to them. And this is not the first time it's happened with the cry for bigger breasts in DoA (no, not buying that, either). When Mass Effect 3 finally threw in homosexual options, there was backlash from the gaming community, and Bioware finally ignored them. So this is not an impossible task.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Elfaria from Odin Sphere

That seems like a bit of a stretch, but whatever.

And, yes, that was me who you were talking about with when it came to Bayonetta. And, no, I didn't buy the game precisely because I found the trailers that did nothing but outline her in-your-face sex appeal offensive.

Were this a more two-way street, I wouldn't be complaining as much. But I'm still not seeing examples of male characters who are presented on screen as nothing but sex appeal. And, no, big musclely characters like Kratos, anyone from GoW, etc are not made for sex appeal. They're still created with the male gamer in mind, and serve to make the gamer feel powerful.

There's a mindset in the general male gaming community that publishers should cater exclusively to them, never mind anyone else who wants to play. This mindset is one that they need to get over, because more people are entering the gaming community, and it's no longer in the publisher's best interests to cater solely to them. And this is not the first time it's happened with the cry for bigger breasts in DoA (no, not buying that, either). When Mass Effect 3 finally threw in homosexual options, there was backlash from the gaming community, and Bioware finally ignored them. So this is not an impossible task.

Blegh I hate it when I forget who I had a conversation with ... my stupid memory!
It is an odd truth, though, that because many game designers are male, you will see a lot a boobage. Plus, people tend to believe that gamers are automatically male, so they think of a male gamer to design a game for.

Strange, I don't find the lack of sexualized male characters to be offensive. I'm not sure why. I've found many male characters to be sexually attractive without an obvious attempt at making them sexy by the designers. I just never thought of it.

I'm still not quite offended by the mindset; it's pretty harmless. It's also something that seems to be slowly changing. I keep seeing excellent new independent games and excellent not so independent games. There are so many genres and characters. The amount of obviously sexualized women seems rather low to me, but then again I haven't done a survey of all the video games out there.

In the case of DOA, the fans asked for larger breasts. It's an odd request, but I respect it. It's a harmless thing. Why not give it to them? Besides, boobs are fun to look at.

Fashionable Bibliophile

9,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
It's just a damn game. Why do you people even care? stare
If you are so offended by big boobs in videogames, then by all means go and make your own games. The game designers are mostly male, and if the designer feels that big boobs are attractive, there's a high chance that he will make the female characters "well equipped". Most games even don't have this issue, since if you've ever played Dead or Alive, you might be aware that the entire series has always been more about boobs and ridiculous "boob-physics" rather than the actual fighting. They even made that DOA Beach Volley game that is basically just boobs playing volleyball. Because of this, the series can not be considered as the norm but rather as the odd one out.

Besides, most female gamers are not that disturbed about big boobs or over sexualization in general. So if they can play the same games as the males, why start fixing something that is not even broken? It doesn't matter to the majority of gaming population, male or female, so it doesn't matter to the designers.

But I can see your point. Even if it is not an issue, why not at least try to make the games more gender neutral. To this, I can only say that look at the movies and especially action movies. They have been around way longer than video games, and you still don't see a proper female protagonist that is not either a damsel in distress or a tomboyish c**t who hates men just because they have penises. This is because writing a proper female character is not that easy. Sure, some women who think themselves as strong and independent might like the tomboy more, since she's kicking a** and taking names, but the male viewers and I'd imagine some female viewers, will feel that she's just being a total c**t. The damsel in distress however appeals to the male mindset more, since it's a familiar story that has been told a thousand times. Some women might resent this, but most don't even think about it that way, making it more lucrative for investors. The "strong independent woman" as I'll call it now just to make a clear point what is considered as such these days (read: c**t) is too risky as it's almost every time written badly, especially when making an action movie.

It's the exactly same thing in games. The male dominated gaming industry makes games that will sell and since most gamers, regardless of gender, will buy the game with the big boobs, there is no reason to risk sales by trying to make a strong, independent female character that is not overly sexualized nor a total jerk.

On a side note, I feel the reason why games (and movies, at least for some parts) are not gender neutral, is because the gaming industry (nor the movie industry) is not that gender neutral. Thus: if you want it the way you say you want it, go and make it yourself and if you're not able to do it yourself, encourage more women to aim for game design, programming, directing, writing and such and you might see change coming your way.

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie

Blegh I hate it when I forget who I had a conversation with ... my stupid memory!
It is an odd truth, though, that because many game designers are male, you will see a lot a boobage. Plus, people tend to believe that gamers are automatically male, so they think of a male gamer to design a game for.

Strange, I don't find the lack of sexualized male characters to be offensive. I'm not sure why. I've found many male characters to be sexually attractive without an obvious attempt at making them sexy by the designers. I just never thought of it.

I'm still not quite offended by the mindset; it's pretty harmless. It's also something that seems to be slowly changing. I keep seeing excellent new independent games and excellent not so independent games. There are so many genres and characters. The amount of obviously sexualized women seems rather low to me, but then again I haven't done a survey of all the video games out there.

In the case of DOA, the fans asked for larger breasts. It's an odd request, but I respect it. It's a harmless thing. Why not give it to them? Besides, boobs are fun to look at.

Heh, it's okay.

I think a key difference is that I don't find it as harmless as you do, and I don't see much evidence of it changing. A big part to me is that it's not equal opportunity. It's pretty much limited to women only. And when someone does try to make a change, there's a frequent backlash, further reiterating that gaming is still, to a point, a boys-only club, and there are many who do not want to change that. It's also a very pervasive mindset that I feel frequently leaks over from video games (which are on the grand scale of things, rather harmless) into daily life.
The-Real-Youth
God Emperor Akhenaton
You find it degrading because culture condemns sexual females. You can't change nature more than you can stop a lava flow.
As I've said, I'm not saying it's wrong for a woman to be sexual, but to be seen as nothing more than sexual. As in, a breathing ********. Is this a hard concept to understand?

Women are more than that but.

1. Dressing sexually is not demeaning.

2. The human end game is sex anyway

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Heh, it's okay.

I think a key difference is that I don't find it as harmless as you do, and I don't see much evidence of it changing. A big part to me is that it's not equal opportunity. It's pretty much limited to women only. And when someone does try to make a change, there's a frequent backlash, further reiterating that gaming is still, to a point, a boys-only club, and there are many who do not want to change that. It's also a very pervasive mindset that I feel frequently leaks over from video games (which are on the grand scale of things, rather harmless) into daily life.

Perhaps this is why games like Amnesia the Dark Descent and Darksiders are so popular. There is no silly "omg boobage so do you like this?" going on. It's a very ... I want to say pure game. It doesn't rely on cliches with its plot. They are as original as an art form can be (considering that originality in artwork is basically impossible, and Darksiders has a Judeo/Christian basis in it).

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Heh, it's okay.

Perhaps this is why games like Amnesia the Dark Descent and Darksiders are so popular. There is no silly "omg boobage so do you like this?" going on. It's a very ... I want to say pure game. It doesn't rely on cliches with its plot. They are as original as an art form can be (considering that originality in artwork is basically impossible, and Darksiders has a Judeo/Christian basis in it).

Oh, I freaking LOVED Amnesia, bought it and I can't wait for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. I do support companies that create games that don't focus so much on female sexualization, and I try not to support companies that do, hence why I didn't and won't purchase Bayonetta/DoA/etc. Unfortunately I'm just one annoyed gamer, and you essentially neutralize my lack of support by picking up those games. ;P (You are, of course, well in your rights to buy whatever you feel like, and I'm not attacking you for that, simply pointing out that one consumer can't change an industry alone)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff