Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guys--I order my doll tonight. SO EXCITE. Then on Friday I can order her eyes and outfir and face protector for when I send her to Fin and yegads I am so overwhelmed with a sense of happiness. I've had it tough lately, and I know a doll won;t fix my troubles, but it will certainly make it a bit brighter out there in that big, dark world.
Which brings me to the question: Why do you love bjd's so much? How does it bring enlightenment into your life, if any?
For me...well, I have always loved toys and dolls and was very sad when it was time to "grow up" and give my toys away. I had nothing to really turn to when things got dark as a teen. When I was a kid I would use my imagination and play with toys and for those few moments everything was okay. But, as a teen, I had nothing. I turned to writing and anime and such, but it didn;t bring me the joy I had experienced as a child playing with something tangible. When I discovered bjd's it was like a lightbulb went off, but then I thought I would never be able to afford one. Well, two years ago, in a sudden fit of mania, I decided I was going to collect toys and nobody could stop me, so in came the MLP and MH and such and I was DELIGHTED. So, when I saw a pic of a bjd online again, I knew it was to be. And I was old enough to handle my own money and buy one. Now I get so much joy out of just being with Willow...writing about her, dressing her, taking photos, even just staring at her. I want a whole house full of these wonderful little things that make me so happy.
So, yeah. Dolls. they make me happy.

Kinedel's Wife

Divine Kitten

Finlet

There's a sweet little old lady in the apartment next door to us with a dog of her own who's gonna watch him for me. 4laugh

---------------
yum_strawberry yum_strawberry yum_strawberry

Sparkly Genius

Congrats, Kelpie! And good question! I might just do a video about it... but well the short answer to why I like the dolls specifically is they are just so aesthetically pleasing to me. Like I look at them and I am just like BAM, look at that gorgeous thing that is exactly my taste in things that look good to me! lol
I'm assuming your question is dealing with why I like BJDs as a doll specifically and not why I love the hobby. The social aspect of the hobby is what draws me in, but the reason why I would keep the dolls even if I was the only doll collector on the planet is because I just love love love how they look when I have styled them perfectly to my taste.

Sparkly Genius

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Hmm.. Why do I like the dolls/Hobby?

Let's see. I was introduced to them by a friend, who in turn learned about them from someone at a con many a years ago. She bought and had three dolls before I had mine, and I looved playing with them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get one when she was still really interested--Her mother bought all of hers [all five of hers] where as I had to pay and earn mine on my own.
I loved the way they looked. What you could do with them. I've always been heavier---and love cosplaying. But I don't like.. cosplaying myself so much because I'm bigger. My dolls gave me the freedom to do some cosplaying without worrying about my own self image.
I had no one really to talk to about hte hobby, despite another friend of mine [Hagu and davids owner] buying Hagu at the same time as I bought REn. WE lost contact for a little bit since she was dorming for school and honestly, all of my friends dropped contact with me while they were at school.
So, with not really having many friends here, it gave me an outlet. I have spurts of depression, and the dolls make me happy. When sick, I always lay around with REn. He's very comforting to me. And honestly, when I'm in a bad mood, sitting there, changing, dressing and just playing in general cheers me up.
My sister is really really dramatic and I'm starting to hate her for it. [my oldest one.] And it was funny--I was talking to my parents about her [Long story] and I let out the quote 'why can't people just have an easy life and just want to collect dolls like me?' And they laughed. But I don't drink nor smoke--so I take my dolls as a way of 'rewarding' myself for that behavior, I guess? Smokings bad for you, and I've seen...things happen through drinking I never would want to put upon myself. Thus, I do neither.
I've always been a type of creative person at that. Whether it be writing or drawing. The dolls are a great way to get a character off of a piece of paper and into life at that.

TLDR: I love the outlet the dolls give creativity wise, and they make me just happy in general with how beautiful they are. I use them to heal my bad moods.

Fluffy Prophet

@Kelpie: grats on your doll! I love bjd's for so many reasons, oh man I'll have to get more into it later. But as for why I love dolls in general.. when I was a kid I had several hand surgeries, and after one of them, there was a really nice old lady that worked at the hospital, and she gave me a [now] 200 year old doll. I should really ask my Mom why she was giving away her collection to hospital kids... anyway, I stared at that doll while I recovered, and it was a big comfort to me. I was alone a lot in the hospital.
here's the doll in back of one of my Monster high custom dolls: Deviantart

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Well, Fin.

If you chose your centaur...
Maybe you'll get to chose one of these, too
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Luts is releasing more tan skin tones.

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Anyways! So today I'm either coming home to do some sewing [since I owe people some things! Still.. >> I've still been sewed out since I got Sora and Nova. I did soooo much sewing RIGHT before they arrived, up until the seconds I opened their boxes. And then once the day after. ]

OOORRR Going to try a little room reorganiing. I've been trying to do that for a while, but... then I started to play Legend of mana again, and it didn't ...work out good on my end. And all it makes me want to do is cosplay my dolls as the hero and heroine of the game. SOOO...whatever. lol.

Kinedel's Wife

Divine Kitten

Well, guys, it's about an hour before I head out for A-Kon. So excited! I can't wait to see all the goodies they'll have! heart

---------------
yum_strawberry yum_strawberry yum_strawberry

Fluffy Prophet

@ Fate: that sounds awesome, I played legend of mana but so long ago that I forget. That sounds a little tough to have a friend who's Mom buys her dolls for her. Not that it's a bad thing, everyone has different budgets, but I know I would feel jealous. I made Fizz earn all her money for her dolls.

Oh Luts, why do you have to rock so hardcore? There have been dolls that I fell in love with but just accept that it won't be mine, like Elemanders and Wind elves, Asleep eidolon mermaids and senior delf Yuri. But this unicorn.... it's different. It's really up there with Genesis and Heidi for me.

My dolls are like: "So an amnesiac, a tattoed lady, an automaton, zombie, vampire, angel, and centaur walk into a bar and...." yeah, that sounds about right.

Sparkly Genius

Oh no! All that pretty tan skin... Luts you are killing me! Makes me want to go back on my RS purchase and just order me some more Luts... Oh god lol

Tipsy Dabbler

6,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Interview tomorrow morning! I'm excited.

I have almost finished a dress for Sabine using the sleeves technique I learned at the Mugmort Melees a couple weeks ago, but I'm having a little trouble: my sewing machine decided to throw it's tension off. Won't even do straight stitch right, at this point. I can't figure out if it's too loose or too tight... when a spool is getting low on thread, does that usually affect the tension? Anyway, hand sewing takes forever so I'll finish it Saturday.

I'm really excited for Aldrich, I hope he makes it here without a hitch up this time. Anyone got any idea for a kind of shirt to make him though? I've already made him green microsuede shorts like the shorts I made for Ciel's Borealis...

Fluffy Prophet

@ Eludya: if the bobbin thread is too low it actually does affect the tension. If that isn't all, the first thing to check is for dust and thread bits in with the bobbin case, then most of the time it's the little screw on the boobin, loosen it if the bottom thread is too tight, tighten it if the bottom thread is too loose. If that's not it then the most likely culprit is the top thread tension, or maybe needing oil. I hope that might help a little.

@ Spore: Which kid delf was calling to you? they have a very different look than resinsoul.

Undead Witch

13,950 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Generous 100
Depending on how things go I think I still might want to get another Kid delf.. I owned one in the past, but she wasn't for me..

original fat-handed immature body x-x

Fluffy Prophet

Is it my imagination or all we all going kid-delf crazy?
I've been sketching how I'd want my unicorn to look... darnit that's not a good sign.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff