Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
So Pat Robinson, a televangelist, said that Haiti is suffering because they made a pact with the devil in the 19th century to free themselves from France and now they're paying for it. I don't get him. At first glance, its got history backing it. Or twisted history, if you really think about it.

1. Why the heck would that guy know what Haitians did? Does he chat with the devil on a daily basis? He is old...

2. Seriously? So apparently Haitians are bad people for fighting for their independence. Shoot, if America was getting bullied and taken over by France, wouldn't you go to some serious lengths to get your home back? Really? What about England and the American Revolution? What, so if something really bad happens to America, its because we fought for our independence from England against extreme odds, lucked out and won? Great, we must have made a pact with Satan too, and he's gonna turn England against us. Well, at least this one makes more sense. We're in a recession and England's gotta be pissed that its no longer a superpower. xpp

3. Back to independence. To be honest, the imperialism that many countries shared during that time wasn't exactly nice policies. What really started WWII? Japan and imperialism. Why did China eventually become Communist? Imperialism. Why is Africa always filled with fighting? Imperialism. So, if we were to think on that, then America made a deal with the devil too, since they played the imperialism game, and now we have a recession. Yeah, ok.

4. I don't get Robertson's logic overall. 9/11 happened, and it was because America had abortion, or something like that. Hurricane Katrina, and it was because of some other bad thing America did that was against the word and rules of God. So why is it abortion? Why didn't he pick something else? They're all NOT in chronological order, and they all seem to be as far-fetched as pointing fingers and blaming, aka presidential elections. Why?

Here's the actual article:

http://www.mrc.org/biasalert/2010/20100114030920.aspx

Here's a part of it that shows you what Robertson said.
Quote:
SHIPMAN: But a vengeful God has long been Robertson's weapon of choice. Ariel Sharon’s stroke? Retribution for ceding land to the Palestinians.

ROBERTSON: I'm sad to see him in this condition. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity for whose who, quote, "divide my land."

SHIPMAN: September 11, he and Jerry Falwell called it punishment for loose American morals.

JERRY FALWELL: You helped this happen.

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, I totally concur.

SHIPMAN: And Hurricane Katrina, God's anger over abortion.

ROBERTSON: We have killed over 40 million unborn babies in America. Some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or by natural disaster, could they be connected in some way?

SHIPMAN: Now, last night, Robertson's ministry tried to explain that he didn't mean to suggest this was the Haitians' fault. He was only talking about a legend. But somehow, George, I think that the Haitians won't be relying on the prayers of Pat Robertson.

And I know Keith doesn't have that great of a reputation and whatnot, but seriously? People are dying, and telling them its because their ancestors made a pact with the devil to fight for their freedom and liberty [American Revolution people! The British are coming to curse us too now!] then that's just gone too far.

Feel free to debate and disagree with me. I really just wanted this to be put out there.

To our Haitian neighbors, we all live on Earth. We all deserve the best in life. Nothing, and nobody, should stop us from getting there. I'm glad aid is going to Haiti now. It really should have been sooner.

EDIT: Japan did not start WWII. I apologize for putting my foot in my mouth in my enthusiasm to put this out there. However, Japan did start fighting with China in the Sino-Japanese war, and I read somewhere that it later merged with WWII. More or less. Thanks for the clarification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War

HELP HAITI: http://www.one.org/us/actnow/drophaitiandebt//signed.html?registered=1&petition_id=194&redirect_url=/us/actnow/drophaitiandebt//signed.html&id=1398-3763867-3BRHuUx&t=1

IMPORTANT! Voodoo is not bad. For the last time. Seriously? It's just a tribal religion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou

I quote:
Quote:
It is based upon a merging of the beliefs and practices of West African peoples, (mainly the Fon and Ewe; see West African Vodun), with Roman Catholic Christianity, which was brought about as African slaves were brought to Haiti in the 16th century and forced to convert to the religion of their owners, whilst they largely still followed their traditional African beliefs.

Sleepy Le Bone
DAMNIT PEOPLE.
its not the devil they made a pact with it was Ogun, the Loa of war.
sheesh.
read posts.

Shinzo The Merciless
livese111
PEOPLE ARE STUPID DON'T HELP THEM CUZ THEY DIDN'T HELP US ONLY FAIR

Can I kill you? Are you incompitent? Or just plain ignorant? They're a third world nation you moron. How the hell are they suppose to help us if they can't even help themselves?

About dear, sweet Pattie:

Chibi Halo
When you think about it, he's been spending the last fifty years pushing his version of severely right wing conservative pentecostal interventionist evangelical Baptist religion. In his mind only those who follow the strict letter of whatever Bible version he reads from are allowed to have good health, good fortune, good lives, good jobs, and live in safety. Apparently Roman Catholics mean nothing to him because he felt nothing over the death of the Archbishop of Haiti in the quake. He's the enemy of the entire Protestant faith because he feels they side with the Antichrist. Anything and anyone the US government is involved with, where he does not have his greedy paws in with his broadcasting and "ministry" work, is seen as enemies of God and another reason to hate our own government.

This is a man who has $8 million dollars American invested in an African gold mine in Liberia and used his annual appeals to trick people into thinking they were giving money to airlift Rwandans to Zaire in 1994. It turned out he owned, and likely still owns, suspicious mining companies under the name African Development Corporation with Zaire dictator Mobutu Sese Seko in Zaire. Hell, back in 2003 he was anti-American during the second Liberian Civil War when former President Bush supported and helped the man who ended up taking over for Liberian President Charles Taylor. It was that incident that revealed Robertson lied to people about that $8 million dollar Liberian gold mine.

Robertson is so anti-American that he's said on air that it would be a good idea for someone to go to Foggy Bottom and place a nuclear device at the State Department. He claims several times that the head of Americans United for Separation of Church and State has said fire departments in the US are banned from responding to church fires in time because of the separation of church and state. He's claimed Scotland is a land of homosexuals, openly called for the assassination of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela all because Chavez was paving the way for Communists and Muslims to take over the whole of South America, called Hinduism demonic, said people who overdo it with plastic surgery have eyes like they're Oriental, says any university professor who is liberal are "racists, murderers, sexual deviants and supporters of Al-Qaeda", believes anyone who disagrees with him is automatically a homosexual, and thinks he's so strong and invincible that he can leg press 2,000 pounds (907.2 kg). Haiti is just another in a long line of lies and deceptions he's pulled over the years. As long as he holds contracts with whomever owns what used to be his cable network The Family Channel Robertson has a place to air his programming. Even if every single local evangelical channel in the United States and the Trinity Broadcasting Network drop the 700 Club he'll still be on the air twice a day. Disney legally cannot drop him from their ABC Family lineup as long as CBN and the 700 Club are legally operational.

So a word to the wise to anyone with family members who occasionally or regularly watch his programming and want to donate to Operation Blessing's so called "Haitian Earthquake Relief Fund" tell them not to. You don't know if that money will actually go to Haiti or just be sent off to Zaire, Liberia, or make a new edition to his Virginia Beach empire. Do NOT donate anything to Operation Blessing. It may do some good work but you don't know how much of that money Robertson swindles for his African mining ventures.
I like how you think.

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
In reality, it never should be about how many people died. It's that one life that deserved the same opportunities you get, and deserve the same life. That one life who could have been your friends, your family, you. That one single soul that will never get to live again. That one life is now gone; that's what should matter. That one life, TIMES A HUNDRED THOUSAND.

NOW everything matters, doesn't it?

And btw, China apparently sent people 15 hours after the earthquake. Aid consisted of food, water, shelter, supplies, sniffer dogs, doctors, the whole nine yards. Now, that was from CCTV, the gov. run channel, so it might be propaganda. But China was crazy fast for the Sichuan earthquake, so I'm not surprised. Besides, this is a chance for China to contrast against the image that communism has. China is communist, communism is bad and cruel, so China is cruel too. Who, look international aid! And so quickly! Wow! Red scare, am I right? But it's hard to find the truth, so I don't know. I couldn't find much reference about what China did in the English newspapers and newssites.

And thanks, Alison! Nice to know that my history classes weren't in vain. I like international relations.

PS: the one thing I DID NOT LIKE about what China did was: while they were leaving to get on the plane to go to Haiti, they were waving a flag and smiling to everyone and taking the time to say goodbye and making the workers, and China basically, look great and stuff. People die in the time it takes them to walk up those steps. I greatly disapprove of that crap. Go as fast as you can, work your butt off to help, and spend the time to bask in your glory and gratitude [THAT YOU'VE NOW EARNED] later!! Really!! Not cool. It's not a surprise China did that though. Everything on the international world is a political game. You win some, you lose some.

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
read this!
Quote:
So what was Robertson referring to? The theory that Haiti is a nation built on a pact with the devil has circulated on a number of websites, each tracing back to an apocryphal tale of Haitian voodoo priests sacrificing a pig and drinking its blood in 1791 in order to secure Satan's aid in expelling the French occupation. In return, the priests are said to have promised Haiti to Satan for the next 200 years. The French were soon beat back, and in 1804, Haiti became an independent nation. But even if you believe the story (something many historians doubt), Satan's lease on the tiny island nation should have expired in 1991.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1953379_1953494_1953674,00.html

Dang! To me, that just proves my American Revolution point.
Yeah..Pat Robertson is an a**, Rush Limbaugh is an a**..and Keith Olbermann nailed them both on countdown..and i laughed as he wished he could send them both to hell...cause really? they deserve it <3
Kate Ramsey, a Caribbean scholar at the University of Miami, says that the "pact to the devil" that evangelical Christian Pat Robertson suggested led to Tuesday's earthquake is a 19th century "fabrication" meant to discredit its slave rebellion and Vodou religion.

pat robertson is just a shithead seeking attention. i got to a christian school where this guy is WORSHIPPED. which is really sad cuz when I read the bible (and want to die...) sounds like jesus loves the poor people. THAT is why i dont go to church. THAT is why faith has been lost...

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
teh_clash
Kate Ramsey, a Caribbean scholar at the University of Miami, says that the "pact to the devil" that evangelical Christian Pat Robertson suggested led to Tuesday's earthquake is a 19th century "fabrication" meant to discredit its slave rebellion and Vodou religion.

pat robertson is just a shithead seeking attention. i got to a christian school where this guy is WORSHIPPED. which is really sad cuz when I read the bible (and want to die...) sounds like jesus loves the poor people. THAT is why i dont go to church. THAT is why faith has been lost...

It contradicts itself. Bible [which was written by humans]asks for mercy and then continues to tell stories about chopping off people's hands. The fact is, if you can be nice simply because you love life and its for goodness's sake, you really don't need religion. People who need religion can't love life. I believe in greater powers, and in merciful and greater magic. I believe in life. I believe in goodness because its not fair to others if you treat them like crap or do them wrong.

Is it really that hard to get people to behave? We have to tell them they'll burn forever in eternal agony and torture just so they won't be jackasses? Really?

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
DecadentAya
Yeah..Pat Robertson is an a**, Rush Limbaugh is an a**..and Keith Olbermann nailed them both on countdown..and i laughed as he wished he could send them both to hell...cause really? they deserve it <3

Bulls-eye!! ZING~!!!

Wheezing Smoker

I saw the youtube link about that.
Made me want to barf. gonk
Orgasmic Honey Roll
So Pat Robinson, a televangelist, said that Haiti is suffering because they made a pact with the devil in the 19th century to free themselves from France and now they're paying for it. I don't get him. At first glance, its got history backing it. Or twisted history, if you really think about it.

1. Why the heck would that guy know what Haitians did? Does he chat with the devil on a daily basis? He is old...

2. Seriously? So apparently Haitians are bad people for fighting for their independence. Shoot, if America was getting bullied and taken over by France, wouldn't you go to some serious lengths to get your home back? Really? What about England and the American Revolution? What, so if something really bad happens to America, its because we fought for our independence from England against extreme odds, lucked out and won? Great, we must have made a pact with Satan too, and he's gonna turn England against us. Well, at least this one makes more sense. We're in a recession and England's gotta be pissed that its no longer a superpower. xpp

3. Back to independence. To be honest, the imperialism that many countries shared during that time wasn't exactly nice policies. What really started WWII? Japan and imperialism. Why did China eventually become Communist? Imperialism. Why is Africa always filled with fighting? Imperialism. So, if we were to think on that, then America made a deal with the devil too, since they played the imperialism game, and now we have a recession. Yeah, ok.

4. I don't get Robertson's logic overall. 9/11 happened, and it was because America had abortion, or something like that. Hurricane Katrina, and it was because of some other bad thing America did that was against the word and rules of God. So why is it abortion? Why didn't he pick something else? They're all NOT in chronological order, and they all seem to be as far-fetched as pointing fingers and blaming, aka presidential elections. Why?

Quote:
SHIPMAN: But a vengeful God has long been Robertson's weapon of choice. Ariel Sharon’s stroke? Retribution for ceding land to the Palestinians.

ROBERTSON: I'm sad to see him in this condition. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity for whose who, quote, "divide my land."

SHIPMAN: September 11, he and Jerry Falwell called it punishment for loose American morals.

ROBERTSON: We have killed over 40 million unborn babies in America. Some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or by natural disaster, could they be connected in some way?

SHIPMAN: Now, last night, Robertson's ministry tried to explain that he didn't mean to suggest this was the Haitians' fault. He was only talking about a legend. But somehow, George, I think that the Haitians won't be relying on the prayers of Pat Robertson.

And I know Keith doesn't have that great of a reputation and whatnot, but seriously? People are dying, and telling them its because their ancestors made a pact with the devil to fight for their freedom and liberty [American Revolution people! The British are coming to curse us too now!] then that's just gone too far.

Feel free to debate and disagree with me. I really just wanted this to be put out there.

To our Haitian neighbors, we all live on Earth. We all deserve the best in life. Nothing, and nobody, should stop us from getting there. I'm glad aid is going to Haiti now. It really should have been sooner.

You are one smart person. Haitians making a freaking pact with Satan? WTF? That makes no freaking sense! And if that's true and God's wrath is being so fierce, why wasn't that Manson guy struck by lightning or something? Why wasn't Hitler hit by millions of arrows from the angels?

I think It's just pure racism. Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. What is the majority there? African Americans. Why did Haiti get hit? Because a bunch of African Americans made a pact with the devil and won against France? I don't think so, Robertson.

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Pat Robinson is so cruel. How can he say such things after this? Nobody asked for things like that, everyone deserves freedom and independence, and even if their ancestors DID SOMEHOW make a deal with the devil, they certainly don't deserve this! They didn't have a say in the decision, and its certainly not fair. The whole devil thing is purely out of Haiti folklore; it's completely insane.

Quote:
Earlier, she said, one woman had run through Jacmel's streets screaming, "God, we know you can kill us! We know you're strongest! You don't need to show us!"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Some people really really REALLY deserve to get a big brick in their face. If only to stop the bullshit that pours out of their mouth.

Liberal Capitalist

10,200 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Vezild
Orgasmic Honey Roll

Quote:

You are one smart person. Haitians making a freaking pact with Satan? WTF? That makes no freaking sense! And if that's true and God's wrath is being so fierce, why wasn't that Manson guy struck by lightning or something? Why wasn't Hitler hit by millions of arrows from the angels?

I think It's just pure racism. Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. What is the majority there? African Americans. Why did Haiti get hit? Because a bunch of African Americans made a pact with the devil and won against France? I don't think so, Robertson.

Now if you look at it that way, then its a racist comment. Wow.

Original Sex Symbol

Vezild
Orgasmic Honey Roll

Quote:

.:Turkey Wang says:.

My grandma, a big time Christian, did mention they signed a pact with the devil.

Whether this be true or not, I don't think it was right for Rob to say that and I think we all should try to help out the best to our ability.
*Pictures Pat Robinson and makes angry stabbing motions in the air* Goddamn it! I hate that guy! How could people (**Christians, who say theirs is a religion of love!**) have so much HATE? People like that who honestly believe that s**t are MORONS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff