Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Lady Kayura
Taking things out of context is a poor way to debate. If you read a whole work of literature, it makes more sense. Of course, this is implying that after reading it, thought occurs and some sort of understanding is reached. I think, however, that's asking far too much from people.

uuuum. most of those are pretty clear.

unless the next verse says "...jk"
Lady Kayura
Taking things out of context is a poor way to debate. If you read a whole work of literature, it makes more sense. Of course, this is implying that after reading it, thought occurs and some sort of understanding is reached. I think, however, that's asking far too much from people.
How can slavery, murder, and sexism be justified by reading the entire bible?

What context could those passages possibly be in to make them right in society's general standards today?
ok rawr, u r taking just phrases and dont understandin the whole thing
did u read the whole thing? i doubt it
u just go and take what u want to start bullshitting
and im gettin tired of ur ignorance
here is my response to each of the phrases u "analized" ( conviniently )

Levitico 25: 35-55 (sorry, i have the bible in spanish but its the same )

in this part talks about doin good to ur brother. The point is, it said before that phrase: "if someone comes and sells to you cuz of their debts, treat em as guests and after everything paid, returned em to their family" meaning that: slaves of that time where cuz of the need, and for that doesnt mean u have to be rude with em. It was like a job that time if u didnt knew.

Timoteo 2: 1-15

Again u didnt read it all xD Talks about doin good for God. First of all i`ll teahc u a bit of history, my dear rawr: Women in that time where xtremely under man`s control, and no, that didnt had to do with God, but with man`s mentality those days. So, after that sentences u put, it says that she has to learn to listen. Just like Jesus` mother, learn to listen what God says and keep it in their heart. It didnt said: treat em shitty, or anything like that. Women werent aoud to teach since man wouldnt listen, cuz of machismo ( i dunno the world in english, sorry ).

Salmo 137: 1-9

GOSH! i did laugh alot when i read it complete, cuz once again u didnt read it all xD!
Its talking about cities!!!! pfft!
Its talking about soemone who is heading to Sion, and they cam efrom Jerusalen
later on they say about the daughther of Babilonia ( a CITY! ) and its says it will be destroid
later it says ur phrase that u take it as if it was taking of humans.... xD

Oseas 14

so know im starting to think u look at this on internet and thats why u didnt got the chance to read it, since theres no 16 versicle on chap 13, that phrase is from chap 14, versicle 1.
its like God`s punishment, since before Christ, God was seen like punishing and not compassive from humans... believe me it didnt meant literally, and it was a way of sayin bad things would happen. But it didnt said its ok to abort or anything

Exodo 21 1- 11

Its very clear to me u dont understand historically what was goin on that time. Its causes us confussion ( well, for u it does ) since nowadays its wrong to be slaves. But that time, as i said before, was like a job: a way of payin debts. If u continue to read it says if she doesnt marry ayone of the family, she might be free to go.

ay rawr, i dunno what to say to u anymore
all this things ur posting its cuz ur finding a way to justify why u cant understand
but as i said in some of ur last threads: it not my, not ay other catholic or christian that u havent had God in ur life.
Stop sayin stuff just to contradict religion, real atheist dont really care about our stuff and concetrate on theirs, u should do that too if u dont really wanna hear reasons, and just gonna take what its good for u and that helps u contradict
As I respect ur desition of not believin, plz respect mines of believin
Cuz i do kow about this and its clear u dont even care about reading the whole thing
and just to end: if u really wanna do soemthing, do it for urself and dont search stupid stuff on internet, get the reaserch urself! ad maybe u can read and undestand why they r sayin that
also some history courses might be ok for u xD
Queeny of Hearts

in this part talks about doin good to ur brother. The point is, it said before that phrase: "if someone comes and sells to you cuz of their debts, treat em as guests and after everything paid, returned em to their family" meaning that: slaves of that time where cuz of the need, and for that doesnt mean u have to be rude with em. It was like a job that time if u didnt knew.

Again u didnt read it all xD Talks about doin good for God. First of all i`ll teahc u a bit of history, my dear rawr: Women in that time where xtremely under man`s control, and no, that didnt had to do with God, but with man`s mentality those days. So, after that sentences u put, it says that she has to learn to listen. Just like Jesus` mother, learn to listen what God says and keep it in their heart. It didnt said: treat em shitty, or anything like that. Women werent aoud to teach since man wouldnt listen, cuz of machismo ( i dunno the world in english, sorry ).

GOSH! i did laugh alot when i read it complete, cuz once again u didnt read it all xD!
later on they say about the daughther of Babilonia ( a CITY! ) and its says it will be destroid

Oseas 14

so know im starting to think u look at this on internet and thats why u didnt got the chance to read it, since theres no 16 versicle on chap 13, that phrase is from chap 14, versicle 1.
its like God`s punishment, since before Christ, God was seen like punishing and not compassive from humans... believe me it didnt meant literally, and it was a way of sayin bad things would happen. But it didnt said its ok to abort or anything

Exodo 21 1- 11

Its very clear to me u dont understand historically what was goin on that time. Its causes us confussion ( well, for u it does ) since nowadays its wrong to be slaves. But that time, as i said before, was like a job: a way of payin debts. If u continue to read it says if she doesnt marry ayone of the family, she might be free to go.

all this things ur posting its cuz ur finding a way to justify why u cant understand
but as i said in some of ur last threads: it not my, not ay other catholic or christian that u havent had God in ur life.
Stop sayin stuff just to contradict religion, real atheist dont really care about our stuff and concetrate on theirs, u should do that too if u dont really wanna hear reasons, and just gonna take what its good for u and that helps u contradict
Cuz i do kow about this and its clear u dont even care about reading the whole thing
and just to end: if u really wanna do soemthing, do it for urself and dont search stupid stuff on internet, get the reaserch urself! ad maybe u can read and undestand why they r sayin that
It's difficult to take you seriously when you don't type out your "you's" and "are's."

But, yes, the bible made sense during the time it was written, but it doesn't anymore. Slavery, murder of children, and sexism isn't alright in this day and age.

And if you use the bible as a history book, I feel sorry for you. There is some historical context, but it's not, in any way, an accurate depiction of history. I mean, most of what's written about Jesus was written by someone who never met him, and lived long after he died.
those passages were written in much, much older times. society was different.
& besides, i dont think those texts were meant to be taken literally. it's more of a "read between the lines" thing.

5,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
The Bible went through a lot of hands before it reached us. Undoubtedly, many of those hands significantly changed the text.
if you remember when this was written you might understand that this stuff was okay. stare
You are possibly the only person on my friends list
Who wont shut the ******** up about something, whether it be
about some stupid high school bullshit, Religion, or you whining about
Gold.
Seriously, Grow the ******** up.
varavex
You are possibly the only person on my friends list
Who wont shut the ******** up about something, whether it be
about some stupid high school bullshit, Religion, or you whining about
Gold.
Seriously, Grow the ******** up.

agree xD
he`s the only person on my friendlist who does it
Religion is pure crap and evil, most of the wars are started because of religion. And why? because they take the Bible, Koran or what ever to seriously. The bible and such is just a guideline to live a good life to love the ones you care about and to be a good neighbor and such.
There is no god the only god is you. You are the one who has to lead your life not some sort of God who you cannot see or has not been proven that he/she/it excists.
Blitzkrieg Beauty
Queeny of Hearts

Oseas 14

Exodo 21 1- 11

It's difficult to take you seriously when you don't type out your "you's" and "are's."

But, yes, the bible made sense during the time it was written, but it doesn't anymore. Slavery, murder of children, and sexism isn't alright in this day and age.

And if you use the bible as a history book, I feel sorry for you. There is some historical context, but it's not, in any way, an accurate depiction of history. I mean, most of what's written about Jesus was written by someone who never met him, and lived long after he died.

its not that i take it all historical but it has soemthing 2 show us for us now.
Doesnt mean we r gonna have slaves, but what about employees?
if it says that time they shouldnt treat people badly, we should do the same
and i type as i want =)
oh, and it does has to do knowing the situation that time to understand what thye r writting about, like in any other book. He`s reading the old testament where Jesus wasnt born yet. And also hes not reading it completely
Ryujin_masamune
Religion is pure crap and evil, most of the wars are started because of religion. And why? because they take the Bible, Koran or what ever to seriously. The bible and such is just a guideline to live a good life to love the ones you care about and to be a good neighbor and such.
There is no god the only god is you. You are the one who has to lead your life not some sort of God who you cannot see or has not been proven that he/she/it excists.

actually.... no
governants take excuses to make war and take what they want from em
i saw that on class xP
so they wont care if they take a religious excuse.
unless they r radicalist as musulman ( or however is said in english )
and as i said to rawr, its not my fault u havent met him yet
so dont say taht something doesnt exists cuz u havent had the experience =)

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
That fairy tale book is so out dated.
Queeny of Hearts
Ryujin_masamune

actually.... no
governants take excuses to make war and take what they want from em
i saw that on class xP
so they wont care if they take a religious excuse.
unless they r radicalist as musulman ( or however is said in english )
and as i said to rawr, its not my fault u havent met him yet
so dont say taht something doesnt exists cuz u havent had the experience =)

I just don't believe in something that is not proven or i cannot see. At first people thought God lived in the clouds and that the clouds were heaven but we have gone beyond that and there is no god there. No i refuse to let my live be controled by something that i can't prove it excists as a matter of fact i won't let my live be controled by anything or anyone.
Alaois
As you were, I was

aren't those all Old Testament?
As I am, you will be

Christians still follow the old testament to some degree ....See Leviticus 18:22 razz .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff