Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pierced Unicorn

31,665 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
I rarely re-visit a thread, so the quoting feature is incredibly helpful.

Even if I'm just chatting with one other person in a thread, I won't check back unless I get a quote.

And yes, I do quote in Guilds.

Loyal Lover

When I see that note in people's sig, honestly, I don't even think about it and don't quote people.
I don't care if people quote me or not. I used to not really care for quoting people, especially when quoting a lot of people at once.
When I talk to people, I prefer doing this,
@ So and So - blah blah blah.
@ MrWho'sIt - bleep bloop.
@ XxKawaiiDesuNexX - Blahblah blah.
But then again, it depends on the people around me. If I can get away with doing that I will, if not, then I'll submit to quoting people. I don't like a big fat post because I'm quoting three people. '~'
In Guilds, I don't always quote people. And I only leave a thread if I'm in the GCD. I tend to post and run when I'm here but after a while, I occasionally return the a thread I posted in and glance around before leaving again.

Lavish Lunatic

I think of quoting as e-mails with a confirmation that the user has received it. Or something like that. There's just this little notification that pops up saying; 'Hey, this user said something to you!'

So yeah, I don't think quotes are lazy, they're just useful!

But I do cut quote trees, they're just so bloody annoying!

Stellar Succubus

"I don't have time to check threads I've posted in."

Seriously?! We're playing on a dress up dolly forum site!!! How busy can we actually be?!

Why post in a topic you don't care about?! Is it because you want to have your say about a topic, but don't care about what anyone else has to say?

If you're not reading the thread unless it's to talk to you or about what you talked about, what're the chances many others are doing exactly the same thing?

Clearly, it's akin to a room full of people talking over the top of each other and hardly anyone is actually listening.

Edit: Though, as I've mentioned later in the thread, my viewpoint has shifted a little.

It's interesting to gain new insight. Thanks smile

Revered Connoisseur

I find the quote system useful for quick replies.
It'd be nice if the devs do something to the quote trees, like limiting the maximum of these in one post. Like 5 quotes per post, and then quoting again after reaching the limit would automatically remove the oldest quote in that post.
Or, forum settings when quoting a post automatically remove the content of that post after submitting. (Sometimes images, font and color styles are bothersome.)
Phew, an insane idea.

Rare

VVhip

Seriously?! We're playing on a dress up dolly forum site!!! How busy can we actually be?!

Why post in a topic you don't care about?! Is it because you want to have your say about a topic, but don't care about what anyone else has to say?

If you're not reading the thread unless it's to talk to you or about what you talked about, what're the chances many others are doing exactly the same thing?

Clearly, it's akin to a room full of people talking over the top of each other and hardly anyone is actually listening.

I don't see anyone here saying they don't read through the thread at all. In fact, most people here are saying they do quote people which means they have to read at least part of the thread in order to find something worth quoting.

Dangerous Loiterer

VVhip

Or, rather, perhaps some are from a time-zone in which replies from the American majority might come at an inopportune time? I know the reason I often haven't got time to sit around waiting for a response is because I don't see them until half-two in the morning. And, by the time I log back on at three in the afternoon, the threads have gone from three pages to thirty and there could be any number of people replying to my post with 'I agree'. If what people had to say to me was dire, they would have – or rather should have – used the quote feature. I care for what others have to say, but my first priority is not to read through twenty-eight pages to read agreements ad infinitum.

Stellar Succubus

Caerthakatha
VVhip

Or perhaps people are from a timezone where they might have many replies at an inopportune time. I know the reason I don't usually have time to sit around waiting for replies is because I don't usually get them until half-two in the morning. By that time, I don't check through threads because they've gone from three pages to thirty and there could be any number of people who have responded to my post without quoting. I'm not going to sit through twenty-odd pages to see if people have decided to respond with 'I agree'; if what they said was direly meant to be seen by me, they would have used the quote feature.

I think I should clarifiy that I'm speaking about forums such as the GCD... where there is discussion rather than shops, art posts, chatter, etc. That people seem to be too busy to listen in a topic as well as speak.

Maybe you're right, and I certainly can't begrudge a person for using the feature, I do myself. It works well for long thread, in other forums for chatter or sales or art. I have no problem with people using it. My comments speak of my mild amazement at those that state in their signature to the effect that they don't check threads once they've posted. That they're too busy.

Not sure why people post in a thread in a discussion forum if they are too busy to, or not interested in reading the posts of other people who are not directly talking to them but might have interesting insight into the topic.

NB: I'm Australian. That's pretty much the opposite timezone from anywhere else. In most discussion forums it's not too hard to keep up with topics I'm interested in. I like to read them because they're interesting!
If I'm not interested in them anymore, then it doesn't really matter if I know what people potentially responded to what I've said, because I'm not interested in discussing the topic anymore. biggrin

Edit: You edited whilst I was replying.

Stellar Succubus

Kuhle
VVhip

I don't see anyone here saying they don't read through the thread at all. In fact, most people here are saying they do quote people which means they have to read at least part of the thread in order to find something worth quoting.

As I stated in my last post, that ain't my gripe.

It's, as the OP stated, people who imply in their signatures "Once I've posted, I won't be back" as if to say they couldn't care less about the actual topic, moreso they care what others have to say in response to what they said.

It's a different style. We (myself and these others) clearly have different tastes in our approach to discussion, that is all. Thank you for enlightening me.

Rare

VVhip
As I stated in my last post, that ain't my gripe.

It's, as the OP stated, people who imply in their signatures "Once I've posted, I won't be back" as if to say they couldn't care less about the actual topic, moreso they care what others have to say in response to what they said.

It's a different style. We (myself and these others) clearly have different tastes in our approach to discussion, that is all. Thank you for enlightening me.

I don't think that's necessarily what it implies, though. I've thought about putting it in my signature before (mostly because it's currently empty and I have nothing better to put there). It's not because I don't care about the topics I post in, but I can't guarantee I'll see a person's reply if they don't quote me. Most people do quote when they reply to someone, but I've seen some people who don't and it makes me curious if I've ever missed someone's reply because of that.

It also doesn't mean I don't care about the topic. There are some threads I check back on frequently, but I certainly don't check all of them. I live in the U.S., but since I post at night, I miss out on the busier times of the day, so a thread that had two pages when I posted in it could have fifteen pages when I check again. Or it could be that I've just forgotten about posting there, or I've posted after most people are already done discussing it, or any number of other reasons, but if I didn't care about the topic I probably wouldn't have posted in it in the first place.

I'm sure there are people who don't care about anything other than what they have to say. I've seen people who can't even get past the thread title before giving up on reading the thread. However, I think that's only one of many reasons why people put something like that in their signatures.

And I've gone on way too long about this when a much shorter reply probably would have sufficed.

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
I will definitely quote in really fast-moving forums like CB, because your posts can easily be buried under several pages by the time the other person is around to respond. I also usually quote if I am replying directly to a post - like it's a specific question or ongoing conversation. I generally don't quote if I am just generally replying to something someone (or a lot of someones) say (like generally thanking people for helping out with an achievement or something), since I don't want to quote a lot of people in one post unnecessarily.

I do tend to go back and look if there are replies to posts in the slower moving forums and especially if there's a reason I'd expect a reply (like I asked a question or attempted to start a discussion) and I also get notifications when people post in threads I create, so that helps with that.

I think it's silly if people honestly never respond to anything that doesn't give a direct notification - I can understand it as a disclaimer in case they miss something, especially in a fast forum, but it seems really silly to just not ever look back to where you post.

Perfectionist

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image
I quote people a lot in forums & guilds. I want them to know that I was posting in direct response to things they said.
I think it's only fair & polite whenever I want to initiate some form of conversation with others.

I don't think I return to threads to see if people quote me anymore. I rely on site & email notifications for quote replies.

Aged Hoarder

Back in the day, it was bad form to keep quoting people. But now that it has a notice setting, I still am not used to doing it. I should really get in the habit...

Rainbow Unicorn

Since notices still tend to ********, yes I try to quot people and hope they do the same.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff