Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Willow Of Darkness
ChiyuriYami
Omorose Panya
Back from a loonngg hiatus! Vixianna suggested that I post this to Gaia, and I figured, hey, why not? So here goes throwing my post to the wolves!
---

So. You're one of those people, huh? Someone who is not attracted to black women ***. Well, guess what? I'm going to tell you straight up and to your face: That's racist. What's that? "It's just a preference!" you cry in face-saving desperation? Well, yes, kind person, it is "just" a preference. But guess what? Preferences can be, and often are, racist.

How is it racist, you ask? You're anticipating some kumbaya PC mumbo jumbo about equal opportunities and loving and being nice to everyone, aren't you? Or some Major Butthurt from me (a black woman) because I'm super ugly, no? At the end of the day, I'm just pissed because I can't get a date, right?

Wrong. I'm not here to tell you that you need to broaden your horizons and date black women. Really, if you think that we are unattractive, then please do us a favor and don't date us. No, s**t, okay? We have enough to deal with without having to add you and your egregious quest to prove to yourself that you're Not Racist to our list of daily to-do's. No, I'm here only to explain to you how your "just a preference" is racist and will leave it at that. Promise.

So, how exactly is it racist? *drumroll* Because it relies on the sentiment that all black women (and black people, really), look the same—typically the asexual/desexualized, mammy caricature that was mainstreamed during slavery and to this day remains one of the top caricatures black women are portrayed as (alongside jezebel and sapphire), among others).

In reality, whiteness has the most stringent physical criteria: out of all the races, it is the most difficult to be considered white because a smaller combination of physical characteristics grants one whiteness. Contrast that with blackness: One can have any trait and be considered black. One can have any skin tone and be considered black—but not white; any hair texture and be considered black—but not white; any eye shape and be considered black—but not white; any nose shape and be considered black—but not white. At most, one might be considered “mixed” (in a tragic mulatto kind of way) if one has “attractive” traits, because all fully black women look the same, and that look is socially understood as the pinnacle of ugliness. If a black woman has a "valued" trait—e.g. blue eyes, angular nose, naturally straight hair, blonde hair—and, really, if she is not that pinnacle of ugliness, then she must have “white blood” in there somewhere or it just doesn’t work. It is simply beyond comprehension.

Our understanding of race is not mere happenstance; we as a society have spent centuries constructing the concept of race around “whiteness”— around who gets to be perceived and treated by greater society as full human beings and citizens. Part of that involves allowing white people to be recognised as a diverse set of unique individuals, despite being the least physically diverse by design; and not as clones, which is how we tend to perceive and treat black people, despite being the most physically diverse by design, and other racial minorities. That is how people are able to both think and say that they are not attracted to black women without social strife, and that is why society does not catch that it is inherently racist.

And make no mistake: it is racist.

*** I'm speaking in relation to black women in America because I am most knowledgeable about negative racial preference in that context, and, as far as I can tell, this reasoning is used mostly against black women; however, feel free to talk about this in relation to any other racial group in any other country.

I hope you do know that your logic can be also used to say that Heterosexuality and homosexuality is Sexist?...

Correct. It is discrimination on the basis of sex.

Personnaly, I prefer to not think in that direction.. It's a matter of preferance. I sure wouldn't like to be called a "colorist" just because I hold a preferance for the color purple and painted my room purple, wear mostly purple clothing and want purple hair..

Devoted Explorer

ChiyuriYami
The Willow Of Darkness
ChiyuriYami
Omorose Panya
Back from a loonngg hiatus! Vixianna suggested that I post this to Gaia, and I figured, hey, why not? So here goes throwing my post to the wolves!
---

So. You're one of those people, huh? Someone who is not attracted to black women ***. Well, guess what? I'm going to tell you straight up and to your face: That's racist. What's that? "It's just a preference!" you cry in face-saving desperation? Well, yes, kind person, it is "just" a preference. But guess what? Preferences can be, and often are, racist.

How is it racist, you ask? You're anticipating some kumbaya PC mumbo jumbo about equal opportunities and loving and being nice to everyone, aren't you? Or some Major Butthurt from me (a black woman) because I'm super ugly, no? At the end of the day, I'm just pissed because I can't get a date, right?

Wrong. I'm not here to tell you that you need to broaden your horizons and date black women. Really, if you think that we are unattractive, then please do us a favor and don't date us. No, s**t, okay? We have enough to deal with without having to add you and your egregious quest to prove to yourself that you're Not Racist to our list of daily to-do's. No, I'm here only to explain to you how your "just a preference" is racist and will leave it at that. Promise.

So, how exactly is it racist? *drumroll* Because it relies on the sentiment that all black women (and black people, really), look the same—typically the asexual/desexualized, mammy caricature that was mainstreamed during slavery and to this day remains one of the top caricatures black women are portrayed as (alongside jezebel and sapphire), among others).

In reality, whiteness has the most stringent physical criteria: out of all the races, it is the most difficult to be considered white because a smaller combination of physical characteristics grants one whiteness. Contrast that with blackness: One can have any trait and be considered black. One can have any skin tone and be considered black—but not white; any hair texture and be considered black—but not white; any eye shape and be considered black—but not white; any nose shape and be considered black—but not white. At most, one might be considered “mixed” (in a tragic mulatto kind of way) if one has “attractive” traits, because all fully black women look the same, and that look is socially understood as the pinnacle of ugliness. If a black woman has a "valued" trait—e.g. blue eyes, angular nose, naturally straight hair, blonde hair—and, really, if she is not that pinnacle of ugliness, then she must have “white blood” in there somewhere or it just doesn’t work. It is simply beyond comprehension.

Our understanding of race is not mere happenstance; we as a society have spent centuries constructing the concept of race around “whiteness”— around who gets to be perceived and treated by greater society as full human beings and citizens. Part of that involves allowing white people to be recognised as a diverse set of unique individuals, despite being the least physically diverse by design; and not as clones, which is how we tend to perceive and treat black people, despite being the most physically diverse by design, and other racial minorities. That is how people are able to both think and say that they are not attracted to black women without social strife, and that is why society does not catch that it is inherently racist.

*** I'm speaking in relation to black women in America because I am most knowledgeable about negative racial preference in that context, and, as far as I can tell, this reasoning is used mostly against black women; however, feel free to talk about this in relation to any other racial group in any other country.

I hope you do know that your logic can be also used to say that Heterosexuality and homosexuality is Sexist?...

Personnaly, I prefer to not think in that direction.. It's a matter of preferance. I sure wouldn't like to be called a "colorist" just because I hold a preferance for the color purple and painted my room purple, wear mostly purple clothing and want purple hair..
I hope you don't think the two are even remotely comparable.
Major Lima Charlie
ChiyuriYami
The Willow Of Darkness
ChiyuriYami
Omorose Panya
---

I hope you don't think the two are even remotely comparable.

The two what and compareble in which way?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie

Even so, as long as one does not treat a person unfairly, does it matter?

Well, aside from possibly producing situation where large sections the population have limited people attracted to them simply because of their skin colour, discourse that certain races are not as attractive does play into the wider understanding of who is valuable. People being treated unfairly can result from such understandings, especially when people say things in the vein of: "X skin colour is super ugly. I'd never be involved with someone like that."

You forgot about my statement "as long as one does not treat a person unfairly."

Which is complete fantasy which utterly ignores the issue being discussed. The point of the issue being raised is that unfair treatment does occur. You've said: "Well, it it didn't cause unfair treatment it would not matter" but this is not the reality. You are not addressing the issue at all. You are, with no regard to the points raised, creating an imaginary world where the issues do not exists. I did not forget about that statement. I contradicted it because it is wrong.

It's also complete fantasy to assume I don't date Indian people because I'm racist towards them. The issue being discussed is a non-issue. The OP herself is boderline racist.

Well, no it is not. If your are categorically refusing to date a particular race of people, you are by definition, engaged in discrimination on the basis of race, as their race is, for one reason or another, always unattractive to you. Such a person is by definition racist with regards to who they find attractive.

Of course, this doesn't mean that you are necessarily racist otherwise. However, and this is the OP's point, the discourse of which race is valuable forms how we understand people on the basis of race. A position that a given race not attractive can have likely origin in a racist discourse and will help confirm it. Furthermore, though not in all cases, as some of those who find a particular race unattractive will do as a result of internalising racist understandings, they may well have internalised other aspects of racist discourse as well.

So if I refuse to date an Irishman because I know most Irishmen are Catholic and I HATE Catholicism I am racist? This is not a logical conclusion.

Not finding a particular race to generally be attractive can have some racist reasons, but many times there is not a racist reason. Even if there is a racist reason, it doesn't really matter, although it is sad. As long as that so called racist does not say racist things, or cause anyone any other sorts of harm, nobody needs to care. As an American, I have the legal right to not be treated like s**t because of my race. I do not have the right to demand that everyone find me sexy.
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

Because finding a certain skin tone or color to be more attractive than another one is bad? Also, because everyone treats people they do not want to ******** ever unfairly? I don't want to ******** my Old Testament professor. I just don't find him to be attractive. I'm not going to act unfairly to him.

It's just the racial aspect of the concept that causes it to fall within a racist-like jurisdiction. While the concept might not be point blank within the neighborhood of racism ( given what dating and relationships tend to be ), it is certainly meandering around the outskirts, possibly thinking about moving there in the near future.

So what you are saying is that maybe possibly there is a chance that some people have a racist reason for not dating certain people.
That's not a good enough reason to start dating someone I'm not attracted to just to fit into the OP's standards.

It might depend upon the reason. Like what is it about a certain ethnic group that you might find unattractive. Is it the social stereotypes of the race that have become ingrained within you and other people that make said race unattractive, is it the complexion -- where a lighter or darker skin color is more preferable/less preferable, or the minute characteristics of the facial structure -- the nose, ears, eyes, etc? Maybe even a combination of all three.

For example, would you date either Denzel Washington or Will Smith if they were younger versions of themselves?

It does depend on the reason, and the overall treatment of the person one is not attracted to. Not sleeping with someone is acceptable. Calling a person horrible and stupid and disgusting just because of race is not.

Personally I would not date Denzel Washington or Will Smith.
That's mostly because I don't think their voices are sexy. razz Also, I don't really want to date an actor ... for a number of reasons.

Lol I'm not sure I've heard that reason too often, not dating someone because their voice wasn't sexy enough. Although now that you mention it it might be kind of difficult to be with someone with a grating voice.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

Because finding a certain skin tone or color to be more attractive than another one is bad? Also, because everyone treats people they do not want to ******** ever unfairly? I don't want to ******** my Old Testament professor. I just don't find him to be attractive. I'm not going to act unfairly to him.

It's just the racial aspect of the concept that causes it to fall within a racist-like jurisdiction. While the concept might not be point blank within the neighborhood of racism ( given what dating and relationships tend to be ), it is certainly meandering around the outskirts, possibly thinking about moving there in the near future.

So what you are saying is that maybe possibly there is a chance that some people have a racist reason for not dating certain people.
That's not a good enough reason to start dating someone I'm not attracted to just to fit into the OP's standards.

It might depend upon the reason. Like what is it about a certain ethnic group that you might find unattractive. Is it the social stereotypes of the race that have become ingrained within you and other people that make said race unattractive, is it the complexion -- where a lighter or darker skin color is more preferable/less preferable, or the minute characteristics of the facial structure -- the nose, ears, eyes, etc? Maybe even a combination of all three.

For example, would you date either Denzel Washington or Will Smith if they were younger versions of themselves?

It does depend on the reason, and the overall treatment of the person one is not attracted to. Not sleeping with someone is acceptable. Calling a person horrible and stupid and disgusting just because of race is not.

That's mostly because I don't think their voices are sexy. razz Also, I don't really want to date an actor ... for a number of reasons.

Lol I'm not sure I've heard that reason too often, not dating someone because their voice wasn't sexy enough. Although now that you mention it it might be kind of difficult to be with someone with a grating voice.

Ever heard Gary Oldman's accent he put on while playing Dracula in 1992? I know that's not his real voice, but damn I'm in love.
ChiyuriYami
The Willow Of Darkness
ChiyuriYami
Omorose Panya
---

That doesn't change the preference is discriminatory.

However, it must be said that this is not quite the target of the OP. The OP isn't contending that no-one have preferences. She has concern about how racist understandings play into who we find attractive and then how this then reflects back on how we understand race in a wider contexts. She isn't saying, although it may be discriminatory, that no-one ought to have preferences. She is arguing that preferences may be built form a racist discourse and may help confirm a racist discourse

The Willow Of Darkness
Christ the Holy Son
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Christ the Holy Son

I personaly never saw an attractive black woman who wasn't mixed or light skinned.

That does not mean that I hate black people, It's just that the physical characteristic of a dark skin tone isn't sexy to me. I don't hate Black people. I don't see how me not being attracted to specific traits makes me a racist.

I may not like the color of your yellow cap, it doesn't mean that I dislike caps and favor top hats.

Expect with regards to who you see as good looking and how this may play into how people are treated.

That analogy doesn't work. The colour is the point of concern in this discussion. This isn't about whether once finds humans or elves more attractive. This is about how people understand stand the appearance(the colour yellow in your analogy) of certain humans(caps in your analogy).

Maybe, maybe not, depends on the ethics involved with attraction(I'm not too certain of my exact feelings on this). It is, however, certainly discriminatory on the basis of race, as one is finding individuals of one skin colour to be better than individuals of another skin colour. You say such an individual is not being unfair, but such an individual has taken whole section of people out of who they might partner with simply because of their skin colour.

And, in the context of the wider discourses of race, it certainly plays into, and is likely to result, at least in part, from the wider discourses of race and how someone is valued because of their skin colour.

Exclusion of people based on having dark skin sexually doesn't mean that I find people with lighter skin to be superior.

Sure, there are some advantages/disadvantages to being conventionally attractive in the social realm. But... Whadyagonna do?

You'll either have to tip the scale into the outsider's favor or the minorities will have to adapt to the conventional standard, just as many do(I.e hair Straightening, cosmetic surgery or skin bleaching and learning the language)

Personally, I think it's more practical to favor the majority of citizens in a democracy.

Also, many women who were born with conventionally attractive traits still put on a bit of make-up so it's not all about whitey keeping people down.

In terms of what is sexually attractive it does.

Or you put in place a standard where everyone has an equal, positive place.

Is that an invitation for me to go into an explanation of how the cosmetic industry is exploitive and discriminatory? ninja

A standard where everyone has an equal stance is almost impossible, you'd have to ignore the obvious cosmetic differences between people.

I'm inviting you to explain how the cosmetics industry is negatively exploitative because I don't see how it's bad when it seeks to better people and make them look how they want to look.
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

Ever heard Gary Oldman's accent he put on while playing Dracula in 1992? I know that's not his real voice, but damn I'm in love.

This:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

With that Dracula's voice.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

This:

User Image

I just had a nerdgasm!
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

This:

User Image

I just had a nerdgasm!

Lmao yes. Then as time passes, this:

"Hunny, which cupboard did you put the tea in? Oh, there it is. Delightful." With that expression.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

This:

User Image

I just had a nerdgasm!

"Hunny, which cupboard did you put the tea in? Oh, there it is. Delightful." With that expression.

I have a confession ...
redface
I think Old Dracula in that film was cuddly and sweet ... especially with that voice.
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

This:

User Image

I just had a nerdgasm!

I have a confession ...
redface
I think Old Dracula in that film was cuddly and sweet ... especially with that voice.

Old Dracula certainly was a dreamboat. Those wrinkles, that curved, pointed nose, and those slithery, sharp talons for fingers and nails. gonk

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie

This:

User Image

I just had a nerdgasm!

I have a confession ...
redface

Old Dracula certainly was a dreamboat. Those wrinkles, that curved, pointed nose, and those slithery, sharp talons for fingers and nails. gonk

Wrinkles, not a big deal. Curvy pointy nose, not a big deal. Fingernails, they are freaking awesome. It looked like he could only hurt you with them if he wanted to. Think about it. They looked dull enough, but Dracula is very strong. With enough strength, a normal person can break their skin with dull fingernails.

Plus, awwww he was so sad ... and crazy. I wanted to hug him and tell him he'll find his true love again. x3

Okay I'm beginning to think my own sexual preferences are ******** up.
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie

You forgot about my statement "as long as one does not treat a person unfairly."

Which is complete fantasy which utterly ignores the issue being discussed. The point of the issue being raised is that unfair treatment does occur. You've said: "Well, it it didn't cause unfair treatment it would not matter" but this is not the reality. You are not addressing the issue at all. You are, with no regard to the points raised, creating an imaginary world where the issues do not exists. I did not forget about that statement. I contradicted it because it is wrong.

It's also complete fantasy to assume I don't date Indian people because I'm racist towards them. The issue being discussed is a non-issue. The OP herself is boderline racist.

Well, no it is not. If your are categorically refusing to date a particular race of people, you are by definition, engaged in discrimination on the basis of race, as their race is, for one reason or another, always unattractive to you. Such a person is by definition racist with regards to who they find attractive.

Of course, this doesn't mean that you are necessarily racist otherwise. However, and this is the OP's point, the discourse of which race is valuable forms how we understand people on the basis of race. A position that a given race not attractive can have likely origin in a racist discourse and will help confirm it. Furthermore, though not in all cases, as some of those who find a particular race unattractive will do as a result of internalising racist understandings, they may well have internalised other aspects of racist discourse as well.

So if I refuse to date an Irishman because I know most Irishmen are Catholic and I HATE Catholicism I am racist? This is not a logical conclusion.

Not finding a particular race to generally be attractive can have some racist reasons, but many times there is not a racist reason. Even if there is a racist reason, it doesn't really matter, although it is sad. As long as that so called racist does not say racist things, or cause anyone any other sorts of harm, nobody needs to care. As an American, I have the legal right to not be treated like s**t because of my race. I do not have the right to demand that everyone find me sexy.

No, it is the logically conclusion. We have two options here. If you are correct in your assumption that all Irishmen are Catholic, then, although you are doing it for the reason they are Catholic, you have completely taken all Irishmen out of who you will date. Intention doesn't matter here: the point is whether you are discriminating against Irishmen. The result of all Irishmen being Catholic is that you find all Irishmen unacceptable to date and are discriminating against all Irishmen within this context.

Alternatively, if all Irishmen are not Catholic, you will be assuming that any Irishman you come across will be Catholic not matter what, which is ethnic stereotyping, which is racist(in the form of the word we are using in this discussion). This example also gives a perfect opportunity to identify the sort of things Omorose is concerned about. You stated have the exception that an you met Irishman is going to be Catholic. Does this not give you expectations about what a given Irishman you meet will think and believe? Does this not affect how you will approach and relate to the Irishman?

This is the sort of issue Omorose is identifying. If we just dismiss preferences for people with a certain skin colour have nothing to do with racism, we ignore the discourses which build up how we understand someone because of their ethnicity and race. We ignore how we are expecting all Irishmen to be a certain kind of Catholic and how this may affect how we relate to them outside of the context of sexual attraction.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff