Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Joou no Oh
3. Can't say I know anything about what it's like to be gay in Ireland, but I am sorry to hear that people put you through bullshit over there too. neutral

People, in many ways, are not as epic as we could be.

Bashful Member

Halael
I wasn't on board with OP until I read (from OP or someone early on) that preference is determined by socialization. If the socialization is racist (which is not deniable), then it makes sense that any preference stemming from that socialization would be racist in nature.
Likewise, fetishizing a race (only being attracted to blacks or asians) is also racist, as it reduces people to their skintone.
I'd also like to hear POCs opinions about internalization of these preferences. You know, non-white people who only date white people.

As a native guy that passes pretty well, this is extremely interesting to me.

Bolded for emphasis, as that's one of the main points behind the reason why this issue exists.

Ah.. as for the internalization.. This is my personal take on it here so:

It's... well.. It reminds me of an experience I had, talking to a black man who was my older sister's hubby's cousin (or was it brother? I can't remember) and the whole time he and my sister were talking about dating he harped on about how he didn't like -and in his words "Couldn't Stand" Black Women because they were too bossy and angry and high maintainance -basically, he was listing off the jezebelle/sapphire stereotypes as if he was reading from a textbook. He then went on in the same vein to proudly proclaim that he only dates white women because "they're compliant and easy to get along with, they don't give me trouble like Black Women do. They don't question you and get on your case they just quiet." It made me so hurt and angry that when my sister introduced me I instantly took him to school on it.

Anyway, point of that story is this: This kind of thing is all kinds of wrong for a lot of reasons, and it makes me sad -and not because of any of that "white people are taking our Black Women/Men" stuff. No. It makes me sad because it's internalized racism like you said. Point Blank. It's Internalized and it's manifesting as dating preferrence, in the same way internalized racism manifests in white people "preferring" or fetishizing PoC.

It's bad enough when you have to deal with hate coming at you from the outside, but when you have to witness it from the inside -when you have to deal with it from within? It's absolutely destructive. I would wish it on noone.

Bashful Member

Culdra
Joou no Oh
Culdra
Topic still alive? Whatever. I'm probably one of the few people that think their isn't nearly enough diversity in humanity, especially to be "that bias" over one group in your OP. However, people like what they like and that's it. For me, it strongly depends on their facial structure and body, than their skin care. Some women fit well in a number of skin colors (light, tan, and dark) and manage to find them attractive, then some just don't.

As for culture/personality, I find very little depth there, pretty shallow. Can't really see how someone could experience a fangirl/fanboy attraction to that, but that's just me. That's pretty much why I was never into relationships.
"Topic still alive? whatever" What, you expected it to just die and vanish and everybody would suddenly stop talking about it forever?

In answer to the bolded, that's never where it ends hence why this topic exists. Just sayin. confused

1.Aww, too bad. But anyway, I didn't see a point of rationalizing with the issue, which is why I came off as apathetic.2. Sexuality isn't logical to me and by adding racial preference to that, you have like 1/10 chance of changing them on that subject. 3.I think people need to learn some apathy, because they aren't really a special case to go out your way for, but whatever. Carry on.

1. But if you were truly apathetic towards the issue you wouldn't care enough to post, let alone say what you said and say it in the way that you said it.

There's apathy, and then there's lack of empathy.

2. It's not logical to you, okay I understand that *nod*, though you realize that disqualifies your assumption that "adding racial prefference" reduces the chances of the topic being understood. I also find it troubling that you'd say "adding"... Noone's adding anything, the racial aspect has been there for as long as racism has been around. It's just that we're becoming increasingly aware of all this.
I'm also going to point out the many posts that refute your claim that little-to-noone will get it. As well as the fact that this topic even exists. (and this is far from the only one on the internet, mind.)

3. Or in other words... You don't care about the issue as it dosen't affect you (you've made this pretty clear), so noone else should, either. That's... pretty disturbing. Apathy is silent comply, it has been a silent agent in the furthering of oppression, and the very last thing any of us should do is be apathetic to the othering, oppression and subsequent sufffering of others.
Apathy is social necrosis.

Bashful Member

MudsharkIncident
some peoples dicks and vaginas like different things

1.that's not necessarily a person being racist unless they do say something like "I think [x] men/women are ugly/unattractive"

They might just not generally find them attractive, although i think it's silly to assume you might never be attracted to a man/woman of w/e race, but that's different as it's not blurting out a ridiculous notion that an entire race is unattractive. Because it doesn't mean they find them unattractive. 2.It just means they generally don't get as turned on from looking at them, if they do at all.

So they just date who they're attracted to.

I tend to have a thing for darker skin. (not any particular race though) It's not that I find them any better as people. For some reason I just have a thing for it. It's just something I noticed at one point. Although it doesn't mean I actively seek anyone out over anyone else based on that or something because personality is more important and I'm not necessarily unattracted to people who don't have that trait.
If I'm attracted to someone and enjoy their personality I'll date them.

1. From what I understand of this, you're saying it's okay as long as they're not saying it out loud? But what about the fact that it's thier thoughts (which are negatively influenced by racist stereotypes and portrayals) that become those actions? I'm trying to get at what you mean bottom-line wise.

2.(underlined) The problem though is that they're still relying on lumping them into a monolithic group, and it still dosen't address the why. Basically, "people like certain skin colours/traits/whatever other stereotype/assumption" isn't where the 'conversation' ends, it's where it begins

Bashful Member

Saiuu
Joou no Oh
Saiuu
I think that your conceptual analysis of racism is off, and that is why you think that it is racist to have some preference for a certain race in terms of physical attraction. Why this is so is because while it is racial discrimination, it is not unjust racial discrimination.

First, to clarify what is meant by the term discrimination, simply look at the denotation free of any negative connotations. It simply means to make a judgement or determination between two things. Now, discrimination under these terms is certainly not necessarily bad or unjust; I am very discriminating when it comes to color. I can't stand the color of light brown, while I absolutely love red. Therefore, when I discriminate against clothes, I'm discriminating against them on the basis that I prefer one color over the other, which most would not bat an eye about.

Now, as this relates to the subject at hand, we can determine whether the discrimination of racial physical preference is just or unjust. Some would say that it is unjust on the basis that it uses the color of one's skin as a factor in the determination of anything, however, this is false. People have come to be very afraid of using race as a factor of discrimination due to the real unjust discriminations on the basis of race that occured in the past and exist to some degree in the present. However, this does not mean that race is always an unjust factor, and in the case of physical racial preference, it is just. Just like it is perfectly just for me to have a favorite color, it is alright for me to have this kind of a preference so long as it is constrained like other physical qualities. Racial discrimination in the workplace is just as unjust as discriminating against someone in the workplace because they are ugly; physical qualities in that sense generally do not make one a more efficient, smarter, or otherwise better worker. However, likewise as it is just for me to discriminate against someone who has giant boils all over the body and looks like a prune in treating them as ugly or unattractive, it is perfectly just for me to us the color of someone's skin as a marker of attractiveness.

A little caveat, though, about all of this. It must always be kept in mind that even if racial preference in terms of physical appearance is a just discrimination, that absolutely does not mean that race can at all be used justly in cases of non-aesthetic, non-physical appearance judgements, as was stated earlier. I restate this because someone is likely to go and try manipulate this argument into something that it is not.

In summary, racial preference in terms of only matters of physical attractiveness is a just a discrimination and therefore it is not racism. However, race likewise can not be used when it is a trivial quality to the value at hand.

Jus... what?
Alright, I read this entire block of disgustingness and you know what this boils up to?

> Coming into a Black Issues (PoC) thread to tell the PoC that thier definetion of the oppression targeting them is wrong.
SWPD because they explained it well enough
G. If you go into an anti-racist discussion and start trying to claim the colloquial definition that "racism is simply viewing or treating others differently based on race", you're going to get a negative reaction. Stick to "racism = prejudice + power". Anti-racists aren't going to take it well if you wander in halfway through the debate and start trying to make them abide by your definition rather than the commonly accepted "prejudice + power". Imagine if everyone in a classroom was chatting about a particular subject and then someone walked in and said, "No! You're all doing it wrong! The REAL definition is ABC and I don't care that all the rest of you think it's XYZ!" -- do you think that would go over well? Of course it wouldn't; the newcomer would be considered rude. (Also, making an appeal to Dictionary.com is not going to work. Pointing out that the colloquial definition is how Webster's Dictionary defines racism is not going to make anti-racists suddenly say, "Wow, you know what? You're right! I never realized it, but now that Webster's has backed you up, I see that you're totally right and racism really is just judging people based on their skin color!" Actually, they may say that, but they'd be saying it sarcastically.)

> Attempting to diassociate a pejorative from it's meaning.
Are you kidding me? This is both Abuser Logic and Oppressor Logic all rolled up into one ******** package, and it's sad that I had to tackle this already in a thread on suicide only to see it here. Not surprised, but disgusted all the same.

>Trying to equate "not liking a certain colour" to latent racism based on overt and subtle negative messages on PoC fed to us throughout our lives. See the OP as it's already throughly explained.

You do not get to walk into a PoC space, and then dictate what thier oppression means to them. Let alone set the rules on what kind of racism is okay from what isn't. NO form of racism is ever okay. Period. Full stop.
1.If you actually understood even the basics of my post, you would have recognized that I wasn't trying to change the definition of racism, I was trying to make it more precise and better. 2.No one would say that is racist for doctors to tell people of darker skins to make sure that they are getting enough vitamin c without making a big deal about vitamin c to someone as white as snow since this is a just discrimination upon the basis of skin color since it is a scientific fact that those of darker skin have a high chance that they won't be getting enough vitamin c in the winter. In the same style of argument, it is also not racist to tell that person who is white as snow that they need to use a very high spf sunscreen in the summer while perhaps telling a person of darker complexion that they only need a lower spf sunscreen.

3.All of that are instances in which there is just discrimination, but not racism. 4.A case in which there is unjust discrimination and thus racism would be if so and so who is black with equal skills makes less money than a white person in the same company working in the same position. Clearly, color of skin most likely has little real bearing on job performance, and therefore this discrimination is baseless and thus it is racism, and indeed, almost all discrimination on the basis of color of skin fall into the category of racism since it is not really relevant in most discussions. 5. What I am arguing is that in the case of say dating preferences, color of skin is equivalent discrimination wise to other physical attributes and thus is just if you say that it is just to judge someone when it comes to dating at least partially on the basis of physical attractiveness.

6.You may argue that when it comes to love and dating, physical appearance isn't relevant, and thus race is not relevant, but that does not change the fact that they are still equal factors under these circumstances.

7.P.S. I doubt you'll read most of this, but I hope you read this. Intelligent people write out long posts because we want to make sure that our points come across absolutely clearly and that we are not misunderstood. It seems that in this goal I have failed as evidenced by your gross misunderstanding of my argument.

1. You were trying to make it more "precise and better" for yourself in that it would allow you to excuse racism. I read it all, I read it thrice. It still comes to the conclusion of "it's not racist if you look at it from the perspective of erasing the reality from the word itself.
It depends entirely on erasing the reality of PoC in order to de-tooth the word, and create a false two-tier system in which "non-harmful racism" exists.
C'mon, even Lemongrab can't begin to tell you just how unacceptable that is.

2. What...? What does that have to do with attempting to re-write racism as not-racism, and Black People are no less likely to have a vitamin C deficiency than anyone else, unless you're including factors like food deserts and other economical factors. Also, the entire carribean would like to have a word with you.
But seriously, this has nothing to do with the abouve, so I won't be addressing it further.

3. That's not discrimination, period. That's trying to give medical help according to a patient's specific needs. Again, this does not correlate with racism via racial preferrence.

4. In reply to the bolded, little? Really? Try none.
And to the underlined? ALL. emotion_facepalm

5. Skin colour carries a historical weight, it cannot be equated with "other physical attributes" as a broad term. People need to stop trying to push this lie.
If you are judging someone's attractiveness based on skin colour, you are dehumanizing them and assimilating them into one big-a** lump like the Borg. Period.

6. Look, you know what i'm pointing out already -race Not generalized physical aspects like arms and legs and clothes and all that other crap. Physical Appearance as a general term, which carries no historical, bloodied, fetishized weight, is NOT the same as race as a dating factor. Ever. It is a part of the general term, yes, however the general term is not synonymous with it.

7. I don't appreciate your implied low expectations of me. stare And as someone who has a really, REALLY BAD habit of writing extremely long posts when I want to explain something, anything at all? I share your pain -that being said I have to say this as well: I've read excruciatingly long posts from equally excruciatingly terrible people. And they were nowhere near intelligent. (be they willfully ignorant, a member of one of the bigot group types(google it) or just plain sociopathic towards PoC)

So i'll try to make my point simple, I have a severe problem with your notion that racism can be seperated into any sort of not-racist racism. That is basic disassociation and it's especially horrible to bring that into a thread where it's already clear context is that racism, in all of it's forms, is harmful.

Bashful Member

Moronical
1.I just don't find the general physical features of black people attractive. It has nothing to do with a subliminal hatred for that specific race. In my case it's just too bad that a certain "race" posses physical traits I do not find attractive. I should not have to be considered a racist solely for having preferences that has no valid correlation to racism. 2.Also, for everyone who claims that everyone has subconsciously been encouraged by society's standards to find black people unattractive. If someone who has lived under a rock their whole life steps into the world and doesn't find all "races" equally beautiful, then what do you make out of that? Also, by that logic, everyone would find their society's ideals beautiful, which is false.

1. Please see the first post.

2. And that hypothetical is still severely flawed on a few fronts... For one thing I can easily get into why you can't put "someone living under a rock" into a situation like the one you illustrated, but then i'd be fighting straw men. So i'll just say this:
Hypotheticals aren't a valid invalidation of reality.

Bashful Member

CuAnnan
Joou no Oh
3. Can't say I know anything about what it's like to be gay in Ireland, but I am sorry to hear that people put you through bullshit over there too. neutral

People, in many ways, are not as epic as we could be.
Sadly, sadly. emotion_facepalm

Also, Captcha?! Getouttaere! *punts*

Shameless Mystic

[.Nurse Joy.]
Joou no Oh
[.Nurse Joy.]
Joou no Oh
[.Nurse Joy.]
I dont necessarily think its racist.. If it really IS racist, Im not sure that I care.

I still think its just a preference. Some people like tall, dark and handsome, some people like curvy women, some people like fair skin and some prefer tan or dark. I prefer brown hair over blonde. Who cares....

Huh-huh. Lovely.
Please go take your self-absolving dump somewhere else. Don't do it here. :/

1.At least Im not screaming racism where there is none. 2. You cant force people to change what they find attractive because they may not have any control over it themselves. Its instincts, that split second when you look at somebody and subconsciously decide whether theyre attractive or not is nearly automatic. Its not the equivalent of calling somebody racist names or oppressing someone just because of their race.

3.We're talking about sexual attraction. I highly doubt that you have no preferences... even if it comes to personality you have to have some kind of preference, And, according to your logic, if you have some kind of preference then youre being discriminatory.

4.Arent physical traits due to race just other traits just like everything else? But oh, nobody wants to be thought of as a racist, so they have to change their sexual preferences just to please YOU?

Ahhh, no.

1. Correction: I'm calling out racism where you see none. Which says plenty about both how much you notice it and how much it affects you.

2. In the context of talking about racism, all forms of "That's The Way It Is/We Can't Help That/We Have No Control Over That" are very common ways to excuse problematic behaviour, and that is definetely not how instinct works. See the first post. All of it. Links included. I'm not going to waste my e-time and energy repeating something that's been explained nine-thousand-and-one times already.
Also, racism affects all levels of society, it affects both the public perception and the personal perception. Every way that you view the world around you is tinted by it, so it can be both very obvious, and extremely subtle.

3. Interesting that you try to both assume and tell me that I even have a preferrence to begin with, in an attempt to pre-emptively paint me as a hypocrite. I see your sliminess :3 it's not gonna happen.
And just so we're clear, sexual attraction is very much also included in all of the things affected by racism. Racial fetishization is called racial fetishization for a reason, afterall. *raised brow* We're not talking about sexual orientation, either.
And also, personality is not equivalent to racial discrimination. Just figured i'd burn that straw man for you now rather than later.

4.Yup, I know how far you read and how much you took in of this, which was none of it and zero. It's not about you, so trying to turn it on me isn't gonna work. Again, read the first page, and make a reply if or when you're ready to actually discuss this with some humanity and talk about the subject instead of trying to turn this thread into a fingers-in-ears racism apologist derail like a few other posters have already tried to do.

Okay, if you have no preference then you have to be bisexual, and have no physical or personality preferences.
Just... stop talking to her. She's an idiot, she really is. I try so hard not to throw that word around, but it's like she doesn't actually realize how stupid she sounds, so she might as well dig herself deeper into the hole of sounding stupid. She is, precisely, the same brand of person as those pushing the 9/11 truth movement, just pointing fingers at different things.
Joou no Oh
MudsharkIncident

1.that's not necessarily a person being racist unless they do say something like "I think [x] men/women are ugly/unattractive"

They might just not generally find them attractive, although i think it's silly to assume you might never be attracted to a man/woman of w/e race, but that's different as it's not blurting out a ridiculous notion that an entire race is unattractive. Because it doesn't mean they find them unattractive. 2.It just means they generally don't get as turned on from looking at them, if they do at all.

I tend to have a thing for darker skin. (not any particular race though) It's not that I find them any better as people. For some reason I just have a thing for it. It's just something I noticed at one point. Although it doesn't mean I actively seek anyone out over anyone else based on that or something because personality is more important and I'm not necessarily unattracted to people who don't have that trait.

1. From what I understand of this, you're saying it's okay as long as they're not saying it out loud? But what about the fact that it's thier thoughts (which are negatively influenced by racist stereotypes and portrayals) that become those actions? I'm trying to get at what you mean bottom-line wise.

2.(underlined) The problem though is that they're still relying on lumping them into a monolithic group, and it still dosen't address the why. Basically, "people like certain skin colours/traits/whatever other stereotype/assumption" isn't where the 'conversation' ends, it's where it begins

I'm glad you're just trying to understand, otherwise I'd just tell you you're taking what you want out of my post. It's not a concious decision. It's something that, yes, is probably rooted in w/e just like most sexual desires.
It does not mean it's because they don't find another race "good enough" or that they're trying to discriminate.

A discussion about why one has their desires/attractions based on both behavior and physical traits is where this really begins. I don't disagree with that.
I mean, the conversation could be interesting if it was about that as opposed to "your preferences are racist and this is why."

Racism might play a role in someone's reason, but I highly doubt it does for everyone that just has a d**k that gets hard more often for people with x traits.
Basically the "why" is not necessarily racism. It is not always based in what would define racism. Whether it is outright or closet.
Joou no Oh
Moronical
1.I just don't find the general physical features of black people attractive. It has nothing to do with a subliminal hatred for that specific race. In my case it's just too bad that a certain "race" posses physical traits I do not find attractive. I should not have to be considered a racist solely for having preferences that has no valid correlation to racism. 2.Also, for everyone who claims that everyone has subconsciously been encouraged by society's standards to find black people unattractive. If someone who has lived under a rock their whole life steps into the world and doesn't find all "races" equally beautiful, then what do you make out of that? Also, by that logic, everyone would find their society's ideals beautiful, which is false.

2. And that hypothetical is still severely flawed on a few fronts... For one thing I can easily get into why you can't put "someone living under a rock" into a situation like the one you illustrated, but then i'd be fighting straw men. So i'll just say this:

I did read the first post... By your logic, everyone should also be bisexual even though they have never felt any form of attraction to one of the sexes. Because if a homosexual man tells a girl who asks him out that he is gay, he is taking away her right to individualism? Also, no one is saying that all black people look the same just because they're not attracted to black people. You think we got divided into different ethnic groups for nothing? A Black skulle does not look like a white skull, nor like an asian skull. That however doesn't mean all black people look exactly the same but they still share the same ethnical characteristics. Two caucasians could look extremely different but still both be identified as caucasians etc. As stated before It's not dehumanising to feel less attracted to certain skin tones and facial structures, it's called preferences, something you as a human have too.

I still believe someone could be fully uninfluenced by society and its oppression and not be attracted to a certain race but okay.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Moronical
Joou no Oh
Moronical

I did read the first post... By your logic, everyone should also be bisexual even though they have never felt any form of attraction to one of the sexes. Because if a homosexual man tells a girl who asks him out that he is gay, he is taking away her right to individualism? Also, no one is saying that all black people look the same just because they're not attracted to black people. You think we got divided into different ethnic groups for nothing? A Black skulle does not look like a white skull, nor like an asian skull. That however doesn't mean all black people look exactly the same but they still share the same ethnical characteristics. Two caucasians could look extremely different but still both be identified as caucasians etc. As stated before It's not dehumanising to feel less attracted to certain skin tones and facial structures, it's called preferences, something you as a human have too.

I still believe someone could be fully uninfluenced by society and its oppression and not be attracted to a certain race but okay.
No, Don't compare this to sexuality. It assumes that some black people can't be gay and still face the same "black people r ugly" thing that strait black people have to deal with. People keep doing this and all it does is put the argument back at square one.

And the bolded makes no sense. Black people actually do have various looks (people of all races do). You wouldn't know that if you've never bothered to meet any.

Bashful Member

MudsharkIncident
Joou no Oh
MudsharkIncident

I'm glad you're just trying to understand, otherwise I'd just tell you you're taking what you want out of my post. 1. It's not a concious decision. It's something that, yes, is probably rooted in w/e just like most sexual desires.
It does not mean it's because they don't find another race "good enough" or that they're trying to discriminate.

2.A discussion about why one has their desires/attractions based on both behavior and physical traits is where this really begins. I don't disagree with that.

1. Except it is a consious decision. When someone says that they're attracted to/preffer [X] people, or that they don't go for/wouldn't date/don't find [X] people attractive, that is a consious thought and choice. Now, the unconsious part does exist BUT this is the thing... the reason why people say these things is not because it's some sort of "helpless subconsious" thing that they're born with, it's because we live in a racialized society that overtly and subtly tells us what to think about, how to treat, how to grade people based off thier race. Tells us how other races are(stereotypes, see page 1 for examples) And that especially falls under dating as well as sexual attraction. Again I refer you to fetishization and deliberate avoidance of Black Women. This isn't about individual people -we're talking millions whenever someone says what I just referred to abouve. Millions lumped into one blob of a group. That is racism.

The messages can be so subtle that you don't catch on until someone else points it out for you.

2. Referring to the crossed-out, that's not what I said. it's about pointing out why desires and attractions based on racial discrimination, is racist. Hence the context of this thread and all.

This answers all your other short-posts as well, so i'm not going to include them in this reply.
And finally this conversation could be interesting -for you- if it were about something else, but it's not. It's about something that affects millions of people and is a problem, and the whole "it should be about this" tone makes me suspisious. If it isn't interesting for you why are you really here then?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff