• Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya
Pretty sure whether you find someone attractive or not has very little to do with racism.

Physical attraction is not an indication of respect, or open-mindedness, or lack of prejudice.

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright
Which assumes, wrongly, that physical attraction isn't affected by consciously and subconsciously held beliefs.

Tomas Jefferson, from what I hear, was a big connoisseur of black women. That never got in the way of him being a racist. He compartmentalized well.

Common misconception, rapists aren't always attracted to their victims.

I'd like to see proof of Sally Hemings' rape.

Me too. I was under the impression that she was his willing mistress and he spoiled her so damn much it was freaking adorable.
Blood Valkyrie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya
Pretty sure whether you find someone attractive or not has very little to do with racism.

Physical attraction is not an indication of respect, or open-mindedness, or lack of prejudice.

Which assumes, wrongly, that physical attraction isn't affected by consciously and subconsciously held beliefs.

Tomas Jefferson, from what I hear, was a big connoisseur of black women. That never got in the way of him being a racist. He compartmentalized well.

Me too. I was under the impression that she was his willing mistress and he spoiled her so damn much it was freaking adorable.

Oh come on.

Fashionable Conversationalist

11,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100
Blood Valkyrie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

And one of the sons liked his daddy enough to change his last name to "Jefferson" after abolition.

Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

I personaly never saw an attractive black woman who wasn't mixed or light skinned.

That does not mean that I hate black people, It's just that the physical characteristic of a dark skin tone isn't sexy to me. I don't hate Black people. I don't see how me not being attracted to specific traits makes me a racist.

I may not like the color of your yellow cap, it doesn't mean that I dislike caps and favor top hats.

Expect with regards to who you see as good looking and how this may play into how people are treated.

That analogy doesn't work. The colour is the point of concern in this discussion. This isn't about whether once finds humans or elves more attractive. This is about how people understand stand the appearance(the colour yellow in your analogy) of certain humans(caps in your analogy).

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The Sky Does Not Bow
Blood Valkyrie
Olya
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Oh come on.

I didn't say I was right. I said that I was under that impression.

Devoted Explorer

Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Even so, as long as one does not treat a person unfairly, does it matter?
Yes and no. No one is obligated to like anyone else, but it highlights a separate, larger problem. Stereotyping is kind of a bad thing.

Well, racism won't go away. I don't like it, but it won't go away. The best we can do is educate people and stop those who treat others unfairly. Even if these things were done perfectly, people would still find certain physical characteristics to be more beautiful, for varying reasons. Should we care, even then?
Hey, hey, leave the pessimistic defeatist attitude to the pros. It can go away. It just won't because we refuse to be intolerant of even the slightest infractions. An infraction's an infraction. Punish it.

Devoted Explorer

Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

I personaly never saw an attractive black woman who wasn't mixed or light skinned.

That does not mean that I hate black people, It's just that the physical characteristic of a dark skin tone isn't sexy to me. I don't hate Black people. I don't see how me not being attracted to specific traits makes me a racist.

I may not like the color of your yellow cap, it doesn't mean that I dislike caps and favor top hats.
Ever wonder why?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The Willow Of Darkness
Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Expect with regards to who you see as good looking and how this may play into how people are treated.

That analogy doesn't work. The colour is the point of concern in this discussion. This isn't about whether once finds humans or elves more attractive. This is about how people understand stand the appearance(the colour yellow in your analogy) of certain humans(caps in your analogy).

Because finding a certain skin tone or color to be more attractive than another one is bad? Also, because everyone treats people they do not want to ******** ever unfairly? I don't want to ******** my Old Testament professor. I just don't find him to be attractive. I'm not going to act unfairly to him.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Major Lima Charlie
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Yes and no. No one is obligated to like anyone else, but it highlights a separate, larger problem. Stereotyping is kind of a bad thing.

Well, racism won't go away. I don't like it, but it won't go away. The best we can do is educate people and stop those who treat others unfairly. Even if these things were done perfectly, people would still find certain physical characteristics to be more beautiful, for varying reasons. Should we care, even then?
Hey, hey, leave the pessimistic defeatist attitude to the pros. It can go away. It just won't because we refuse to be intolerant of even the slightest infractions. An infraction's an infraction. Punish it.

It can go away? I haven't seen any sign of it going away, mostly because, as you say, we refuse to be intolerant of even the slightest infraction. Unlike you, I don't consider race to be an infraction. I consider it to be a neutral category. I also don't think we should punish people because of their race. I'm not a racist.
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Because finding a certain skin tone or color to be more attractive than another one is bad? Also, because everyone treats people they do not want to ******** ever unfairly? I don't want to ******** my Old Testament professor. I just don't find him to be attractive. I'm not going to act unfairly to him.

It's just the racial aspect of the concept that causes it to fall within a racist-like jurisdiction. While the concept might not be point blank within the neighborhood of racism ( given what dating and relationships tend to be ), it is certainly meandering around the outskirts, possibly thinking about moving there in the near future.
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Well, aside from possibly producing situation where large sections the population have limited people attracted to them simply because of their skin colour, discourse that certain races are not as attractive does play into the wider understanding of who is valuable. People being treated unfairly can result from such understandings, especially when people say things in the vein of: "X skin colour is super ugly. I'd never be involved with someone like that."

You forgot about my statement "as long as one does not treat a person unfairly."

Which is complete fantasy which utterly ignores the issue being discussed. The point of the issue being raised is that unfair treatment does occur. You've said: "Well, it it didn't cause unfair treatment it would not matter" but this is not the reality. You are not addressing the issue at all. You are, with no regard to the points raised, creating an imaginary world where the issues do not exists. I did not forget about that statement. I contradicted it because it is wrong.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

Well, aside from possibly producing situation where large sections the population have limited people attracted to them simply because of their skin colour, discourse that certain races are not as attractive does play into the wider understanding of who is valuable. People being treated unfairly can result from such understandings, especially when people say things in the vein of: "X skin colour is super ugly. I'd never be involved with someone like that."

You forgot about my statement "as long as one does not treat a person unfairly."

Which is complete fantasy which utterly ignores the issue being discussed. The point of the issue being raised is that unfair treatment does occur. You've said: "Well, it it didn't cause unfair treatment it would not matter" but this is not the reality. You are not addressing the issue at all. You are, with no regard to the points raised, creating an imaginary world where the issues do not exists. I did not forget about that statement. I contradicted it because it is wrong.

It's also complete fantasy to assume I don't date Indian people because I'm racist towards them. The issue being discussed is a non-issue. The OP herself is boderline racist.

Devoted Explorer

Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Blood Valkyrie
Major Lima Charlie
Blood Valkyrie

It can go away? I haven't seen any sign of it going away, mostly because, as you say, we refuse to be intolerant of even the slightest infraction. Unlike you, I don't consider race to be an infraction. I consider it to be a neutral category. I also don't think we should punish people because of their race. I'm not a racist.
Wait, what? I said racism's an infraction. Race is an arbitrary distinction in-groups like to harp on in order to unify and divide.
Would it be racist if someone found Denzel Washington to be ruggedly handsome and dreamy, but didn't find those qualities within Flava Flav, even though both of them belong to the same ethnic group?

I seriously doubt that many heterosexual ladies would turn down a date with either Denzel Washington or Will Smith, even if they fall into the category of "this ethnic group isn't my type." Like an exception to the rule which I can't really explain.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ranallo Jenner
Blood Valkyrie
The Willow Of Darkness
Christ the Holy Son
Major Lima Charlie
Olya

It's just the racial aspect of the concept that causes it to fall within a racist-like jurisdiction. While the concept might not be point blank within the neighborhood of racism ( given what dating and relationships tend to be ), it is certainly meandering around the outskirts, possibly thinking about moving there in the near future.

So what you are saying is that maybe possibly there is a chance that some people have a racist reason for not dating certain people.
That's not a good enough reason to start dating someone I'm not attracted to just to fit into the OP's standards.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff