Welcome to Gaia! ::

The20
psychic stalker
The20
Edit: On a side note, do you guys happen to know the average length of file names on your systems? Just a little something i would like to know. For me it was about 20 characters (OS is Windows).
(sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p" ) | dc

I'll let you know if it ever finishes.
Thanks.
What's the t good for, though? Was that supposed to be a p?
(11:52:%)── (sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p") | dc
(21:59:%)──
Only took 2 and a half days, but there you go. 17. Across all mounted drives and both user and system directories. Probably heavily biased by both system files (less than 10 chars) and files with MD5 and SHA-1 sums for names (36 and 44, respectively), of which I have many.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
The love of learning is why I'm doing a degree via distance learning at 31 after much arguing betwixt me and the old man. He wanted me to go to a bricks and mortar uni but I knew that was liable to fail due to my trust issues and highly territorial nature.

It actually took the threat of me attending a plumbing course (he's a retired central heating engineer) for him to actually let me do the distance learning.

I confess that I often push myself far too hard (I'm often doing stuff like cleaning out the entire bathroom when I should be in bed resting) but that's something I need to learn on my own albeit with a safety net of my family's support.
psychic stalker
The20
psychic stalker
The20
Edit: On a side note, do you guys happen to know the average length of file names on your systems? Just a little something i would like to know. For me it was about 20 characters (OS is Windows).
(sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p" ) | dc

Thanks.
(11:52:%)── (sudo find / -not -path 'lost+found' -exec basename '{}' ';' | while read l; do echo -n "$l" | wc -c ; done | awk 'BEGIN{n=0;t=0} {n=n+$1; p=p+1;} END{print n " " p}'; echo "/p") | dc
Only took 2 and a half days, but there you go. 17. Across all mounted drives and both user and system directories. Probably heavily biased by both system files (less than 10 chars) and files with MD5 and SHA-1 sums for names (36 and 44, respectively), of which I have many.
Two and a half days?! I was done in 8 and a half minutes. How many HDDs do you have?

I have: 626,847 files on
- internal HDD (3 Partitions: 50 GB (Windows 7, Programs, User Folder), 100 GB (games), 140 GB (Data, User Folder from XP, pictures, music, videos, HDD images for virtual box, etc.), the system recovery partition wasn't mounted)
- DVD (GTA San Andreas, 4.04 GB (51 files, 9.14 characters per file name on average))
- external HDD (one partition: 400 GB (data, images, installer for programs, some backups, HDD images, etc.), the backup partition wasn't mounted)

Edit: Thanks by the way.
The20
psychic stalker
The20
psychic stalker
The20

Thanks.
Two and a half days?! I was done in 8 and a half minutes. How many HDDs do you have?

I have: 626,847 files on
- internal HDD (3 Partitions: 50 GB (Windows 7, Programs, User Folder), 100 GB (games), 140 GB (Data, User Folder from XP, pictures, music, videos, HDD images for virtual box, etc.), the system recovery partition wasn't mounted)
- DVD (GTA San Andreas, 4.04 GB (51 files, 9.14 characters per file name on average))
- external HDD (one partition: 400 GB (data, images, installer for programs, some backups, HDD images, etc.), the backup partition wasn't mounted)

Edit: Thanks by the way.
3.7 million files spread across 8 hard drives and 8 mount points, five of which are on a 5-way 10TB RAID-5 array.

The scriptlet was probably slow because it spawns a process for `basename` and `wc` for each of the 3.7 million files it finds. I could have made it faster with a `cut` or by doing the work in `awk`. Meh.
Saruwatari Kooji
It is because of that, I don't care what kind of abuse or allegations Akhenaton brings against me. His information is wrong and that pains me, I want him to learn(as I'm sure the others here do as well). That is why we are doing what we are. It's not because we hate him or he has pissed us off. I will admit, when he first came around, tempers flared and people got mad...myself included. It wasn't exactly right, but that's what has happened. What is truly driving us is our passion for accurate verifiable information and the desire to teach what we have learned to others.
I've tried to be really even handed throughout thus far. I've blown up a couple times, but it's hard to remain positive - or even just neutral - all the time.

He's not trolling though. I'm convinced that he just lacks experience, has an overabundance of confidence/ego/whatever, and is a little over-paranoid. It took several pages of responses just to explain that USB ports aren't connected directly to your power supply. He just seems to think he knows everything, or that every issue is black-and-white.

Hopefully he'll open his mind a little bit to outside knowledge. I'm afraid the paranoia will probably prevent that though; since we're all clearly conspiring against him and whatnot.
Minion4Hire
Hopefully he'll open his mind a little bit to outside knowledge. I'm afraid the paranoia will probably prevent that though; since we're all clearly conspiring against him and whatnot.
I don't think he will. People like him are wont to ignore anything that is outside of their frame of reference. Only time on the scale of decades will fix that.

Everyday Cat

crying

I had been looking forward to today for a WHOLE FRICKIN YEAR

The day I finally had precisely enough to pay off my car. My plan was to get home, call the bank, make payment, ?????, be done.

But the bank is closed. And for those who know how car loans work... Tomorrow I'll be a dollar short. Which means I get to wait until next payday. Which is in two weeks.

*cries into a pillow*
Scriptkitten
crying

I had been looking forward to today for a WHOLE FRICKIN YEAR

The day I finally had precisely enough to pay off my car. My plan was to get home, call the bank, make payment, ?????, be done.

But the bank is closed. And for those who know how car loans work... Tomorrow I'll be a dollar short. Which means I get to wait until next payday. Which is in two weeks.

*cries into a pillow*

LOOK IN THE COUCH. They always steal money confused

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/why-ignoring-bad-advice-in-c-t-is-a-bad-idea/t.84580885/?_gaia_t_=7564

Who wants to take bets on how long before the topic is removed and I get a ban?
Lanackse-Kanvae
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/why-ignoring-bad-advice-in-c-t-is-a-bad-idea/t.84580885/?_gaia_t_=7564

I'd be surprised if you get banned for that at all.
Morbid Gnome Does not understand the situation at all. :/
Lanackse-Kanvae

who do i have to bribe?
psychic stalker
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
So it's ok for you to be flat out wrong and/or troll other users, but it's not ok for us to return the favor to /any/ degree.

Feel free to redirect your comment of him to yourself.

Is anyone else reminded of Shard?

All I did was say that custom builds will not go away and you went apeshit and tried to rip me apart. I didn't go into this thread expecting a fight, but you took it to the next level. Not me, you. If you don't want this, then don't pick a fight with me.
That's not all you did, and you damn well know it. I didn't go apeshit, either. You're just defensive.

Obsolete, going away. I don't give a s**t and neither do you. You only care because I posted it.
No, we only care because we dislike misinformation. A fact you seem unwilling to consider.

A mistake of words where everyone blows up in my face? No. It's more than that.
God Emperor Akhenaton
psychic stalker
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
God Emperor Akhenaton
Sonic Offline
So it's ok for you to be flat out wrong and/or troll other users, but it's not ok for us to return the favor to /any/ degree.

Feel free to redirect your comment of him to yourself.

Is anyone else reminded of Shard?

All I did was say that custom builds will not go away and you went apeshit and tried to rip me apart. I didn't go into this thread expecting a fight, but you took it to the next level. Not me, you. If you don't want this, then don't pick a fight with me.
That's not all you did, and you damn well know it. I didn't go apeshit, either. You're just defensive.

Obsolete, going away. I don't give a s**t and neither do you. You only care because I posted it.
No, we only care because we dislike misinformation. A fact you seem unwilling to consider.

A mistake of words where everyone blows up in my face? No. It's more than that.
It is not more than that. You are responding as if you have a persecution complex.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff