Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Dabbler

nouveau sereph
So, I'm watching the first episode of the new season of Breakin In, and the computer hacker dude is, well, breaking in to this b***h's email account. He's been burned for this already, and his boss (Christian Slater) reminds him to back off man, you don't wanna get duped twice in one day!

He responds, basically, to chill. He is, in fact, behind seven proxies.

Edit: Oh, and before anyone jumps in and tries to say how retarded the show's writers must be for such a grade school mistake, probably including some sort of strained metaphor including murder/death/their Goddamn period, and then later, when I tell them otherwise, trying to write it off as they were just having a bad day - it was clearly dropping a reference to the meme. I just thought it was cool, and that you guys should know that.
I am known for my period metaphors..
Gabriel Faust
Neiu
I know it sounds very unlikely that something isolated virtually in an HDD would damage a PC's components, but there is a possibility no doubt, and I shall explain this theory.

Now knowing that 90% of Windows users are unaware of UAC policys', we can safely assume they are running as an admin account. Now, if they were to acquire a virus from one of the many methods around, this is something that can be abused very often.

So once aquired, say the person running the grand scheme was more of the anarchist rather than an identity/informaiton theif. They can potentionally access your computers system controls like turning your fan very low/off, clocking all your hardware to above dangerous levels, and like an Nvidia thermi, start a house fire or just generally melt your motherboard, like the initial i7's.
That sharp whizzing sound of a high velocity projectile was the sound of military grade laughery flying over your left ear.

We're no strangers to the computing world and this is our mostly offtopic thread.

Would being seriously offtopic in a jokingly offtopic thread be offtopic? smile
nouveau sereph
So, I'm watching the first episode of the new season of Breakin In, and the computer hacker dude is, well, breaking in to this b***h's email account. He's been burned for this already, and his boss (Christian Slater) reminds him to back off man, you don't wanna get duped twice in one day!

Edit: Oh, and before anyone jumps in and tries to say how retarded the show's writers must be for such a grade school mistake, probably including some sort of strained metaphor including murder/death/their Goddamn period, and then later, when I tell them otherwise, trying to write it off as they were just having a bad day - it was clearly dropping a reference to the meme. I just thought it was cool, and that you guys should know that.
What is "Breaking In"?

Shameless Enabler

It's a pretty funny show about a security firm who does penetration testing for corporations. Christian slater is in it, and he is a tiny bit insane.
Neiu
Darkphantom
Sonic Offline
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS emo
Albert Einstein's relativity virus. It's a new and highly dangerous virus using the power supply of most modern computers and CPUs uses the core to synthesis and fire a beam of positrons that corrode the internal components of your computer... The fact that positrons have such low mass makes this possible.

Dunt yu know?
Totally true I'm not lying rolleyes

I know it sounds very unlikely that something isolated virtually in an HDD would damage a PC's components, but there is a possibility no doubt, and I shall explain this theory.

Now knowing that 90% of Windows users are unaware of UAC policys', we can safely assume they are running as an admin account. Now, if they were to acquire a virus from one of the many methods around, this is something that can be abused very often.

So once aquired, say the person running the grand scheme was more of the anarchist rather than an identity/informaiton theif. They can potentionally access your computers system controls like turning your fan very low/off, clocking all your hardware to above dangerous levels, and like an Nvidia thermi, start a house fire or just generally melt your motherboard, like the initial i7's.
You don't even need admin rights. Although the range of things you can do does increase once you have admin or root privileges. I remember there being a lot of contention over people bricking their apple 'i' devices by flipping registers that should not be flipped so they could get a .01% speed improvement. There is also the case for widespread devastation through methods like stuxnet attacking SCADA systems.

I had the chance to talk to a SCADA system software dev recently in person. It was quite informative. Alas he also said, "It's not our fault if people put these systems on the Internet" which I feel like I should agree but it is a bad expectation.
nouveau sereph

Did they make a GUI interface using visual basic to track the IP address?

Shameless Dabbler

29582351c3
nouveau sereph

Cracked has an article. By the way, is that a 12 core you have there?
Final Fantasy Bandit
29582351c3
nouveau sereph

I don't like cracked. I do however like this.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
29582351c3

Interesting sea of Korean writing. Shame I can neither speak nor read it. I can spot it (Korean MMOs helped a lot here) but I otherwise know nothing about the language.
Lanackse-Kanvae
29582351c3

Interesting sea of Korean writing. Shame I can neither speak nor read it. I can spot it (Korean MMOs helped a lot here) but I otherwise know nothing about the language.
Er, what? You mean the Matrix "Code"? That ain't no Korean.

User Image
Lanackse-Kanvae
29582351c3

Am i seeing the same things as you guys? I get a video in a horribly low resolution.

Dangerous Trader

Final Fantasy Bandit
29582351c3
nouveau sereph

You know, it's reasonable to think you've just been Gibson'd. BOfH would routinely give crap explanations of what he was about to do.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
psychic stalker
Lanackse-Kanvae
29582351c3

Er, what? You mean the Matrix "Code"? That ain't no Korean.

User Image

Some of it looked distinctly Korean. I was half asleep and without my caffeine. I swear I'm totally addicted. Why isn't there rehab for caffeine addiction?

Ahhhh the BOfH...... nostalgia...... must re-investigate sometime.
Lanackse-Kanvae
29582351c3

I was referring to the nmap scan at the power plant.
Lanackse-Kanvae
Some of it looked distinctly Korean. I was half asleep and without my caffeine. I swear I'm totally addicted. Why isn't there rehab for caffeine addiction?

Ahhhh the BOfH...... nostalgia...... must re-investigate sometime.
Last time i was on withdrawal from caffeine the symptoms lasted a couple hours and were mostly unproblematic (light headache, tiredness and stuff like that). Willpower is the only thing that could pose a problem.
Besides, caffeine and the fluids it comes in are not nearly as unhealthy as other things for which rehab exists.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff