Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I'm coming back when exams are done, but wait, there's TWELVE seasons of Xena? I'm just starting to get into the show, but I thought there was only six!
No, you're right. There's six.
It's just they were released (over here anyway) in half-season boxsets. smile
Miss-dark8607

Also, I think DC should do what Marvel did. Create "Ultimate series" for W. Woman. Like it or not Marvel's Ultimate series helped first time readers get into the major Marvel worlds (Hell I finally kind of got into FF for once) and was pretty fresh for some long time fans. (I'm kind of in the middle there) So I suggest getting a team of writers and artists together and just make a couple of series bring back Woman Woman to her roots and make it simple enough for first time viewers.

That's my suggestion as a newer DC reader.

They were gonna do this with "All-Star Wonder Woman." Unfortunately, the writer/artist, Adam Hughes, suffered a broken hand and it seems to have indefinitely delayed the project. Whether it will ever see the light of day, whether as originally intended or repackaged somewhere else, is up to speculation.
Kay_Challis

I wonder if giving her a city and making her street level might be more fun if we didn't get rid of Themiscrya, but just made it a bit more interesting and messy. Then made it the city.

Let's turn it into somewhere that feels like people live there. And conspire, and study, and buy and sell, and take holidays. It's a place that's been devastated and rebuilt - or taken out of the material plane and returned - dozens of times; it must be layered with the strata of civilisation and dusted with traces of heaven. It should be less like island-of-the-boring-people-who-stand-around-looking-statuesque, and more a complex island-based city state...

Some alleyways haven't been completely restored to materiality and those who walk those streets risk turning into ideas. The ghosts of desecrated temples drift through the night air, settling in open spaces or possesing mundane buildings, filling grocery stalls and kanga stables with a sudden and inexplicable sense of the ineffable.

Sinister forces work to reactivate the sleeper units of metahumans who've lain dormant since the secret Rome/Carthage superhero arms race in the first century BC. BDSM tourists in scintillating fetishware flock to the island's now welcoming shores, where they brush shoulders with the staff of the Tartarus Embassy and the teams of archeologists who're struggling to make sense of finds that carbon date as older than the universe.

I like the idea.

Sounds like what they attempted to do with Aquaman. Giving him Sub-Diego as the street level city while keeping Atlantis as the lost messy place under the control of shady mages, trying to rebuild itself after a time displacement and the obsidian-dark age.

OYL when they went Kamandi with it all. They even had the archeological teams sharing room with ghosts and everything.

It didn't seem to have worked then. Of course, Wonder Woman is more popular and gets more good faith than Aquaman.

Kay_Challis
Scott Free
The big thing is that Wonder Woman's back story is completely unrelatable compared to Batman and Superman. Superman is an immigrant made good. Batman is a man who has taken a tragedy to become the pinnacle of humanity. What's Wonder Woman? Someone made from clay who came to a Man's world?

The origin actually provides a nifty way to make the Trinity make sense. Though again the gender politics are an obstacle, as going this way with Feminist Icon Wonder Woman would be a horrible thing to do.

But... You've got Superman, the god. You've got Batman, the human who's made himself into a god. Then you've got Wonder Woman, the thing that's made itself into a human.

The 'trinity' depicts the ladder by which base matter ascends to the divine!
You know after I typed that, I started realizing that as bizarre as her origin was to me there was something really, really fascinating about it to me. Of anyone in this thread, you've made the most sense out of it.

Kay_Challis
Virgil Hawkins
I preface this by admitting I am really ******** drunk.

Give her a city. Get rid of Themiscrya. Get rid of ALL the Greek Gods stuff, Make her street level for a year, helping kids and rape victims and kittens in trees.

Although not drunk, I still managed to misread that as "helping kids rape victims and kittens in trees."

I wonder if giving her a city and making her street level might be more fun if we didn't get rid of Themiscrya, but just made it a bit more interesting and messy. Then made it the city.

Let's turn it into somewhere that feels like people live there. And conspire, and study, and buy and sell, and take holidays. It's a place that's been devastated and rebuilt - or taken out of the material plane and returned - dozens of times; it must be layered with the strata of civilisation and dusted with traces of heaven. It should be less like island-of-the-boring-people-who-stand-around-looking-statuesque, and more a complex island-based city state...

Some alleyways haven't been completely restored to materiality and those who walk those streets risk turning into ideas. The ghosts of desecrated temples drift through the night air, settling in open spaces or possesing mundane buildings, filling grocery stalls and kanga stables with a sudden and inexplicable sense of the ineffable.

Sinister forces work to reactivate the sleeper units of metahumans who've lain dormant since the secret Rome/Carthage superhero arms race in the first century BC. BDSM tourists in scintillating fetishware flock to the island's now welcoming shores, where they brush shoulders with the staff of the Tartarus Embassy and the teams of archeologists who're struggling to make sense of finds that carbon date as older than the universe.

I'm thinking of a tone somewhere between the Verinas/Pullo segments of Rome, World of New Krypton, Pretsky's later V. I. Warshawski novels and Prospero's Books.

Wonder Woman: BLOOD ON THE STREETS OF PARADISE!

You know I think this is the best way that Wonder Woman could go. How better to be an ambassador for a country than have that country an actual active part of the world? I completely agree with you on this Richard and your stance on Themiscrya. Sure it's an offshoot of Greek and Hellenistic culture but it's also an offshoot of Greek culture that hasn't been culturally contaminated by the fall of that civilization and it's incorporation into Roman/Christian/Renaissance etc. ideas. How would those ideas have developed in the interim free of that contamination? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have stagnated in such a way as everyone since from Perez forward has portrayed this society as behaving. It would could a lot towards explaining why they have things like an invisible jet or a purple ray.

So the question now becomes if Themiscrya and Paradise Island are present active in today's world then what role does Wonder Woman play in society and as part of the Trinity?

The answer? Wonder Woman becomes the Themiscryan archaeologist discovering "Man's World" and seeing how and why it differed from where Themiscrya developed. Wonder Woman from I can tell in her early years was more so than Batman and Superman really rooted in the pulps with the blatant sexuality and surreal settings and villains that she constantly faced. Have Wonder Woman go on jungle adventures with an archaeology team (thus providing her with a unique supporting cast) fighting forgotten elder gods intent on subjugating mankind to their alien pre-universe ideas or mad. ancient cultures that are twisted reflections of the peace and prosperity of Themiscrya.

Diana though is a warrior though. She's the gray area between Superman's upholding of the law and Batman's quest for justice (and there is a difference between law and justice). In between her archaeological expeditions pit her against mad scientists, Nazi baronesses, and psychic dwarves (I swear these are all actual Wonder Woman villains). Have the ideas of the Greek Gods be present but hold off on fully showing them unless it matters. She's someone who has to make those decisions about gray areas.

What needs to be done is make Wonder Woman an interesting character in her own right instead of being Superman who is female and is really, really into Greek mythology.

If anything above all else, Wonder Woman needs to be an adventuress fighting the strange, mad things lying between the gods and aliens that Superman fights and the madness of men that Batman faces.

Jonah Hex

They were gonna do this with "All-Star Wonder Woman." Unfortunately, the writer/artist, Adam Hughes, suffered a broken hand and it seems to have indefinitely delayed the project. Whether it will ever see the light of day, whether as originally intended or repackaged somewhere else, is up to speculation.
With Bob Schreck, the editor of the All-Star line no longer at DC, there has been a lot of wild speculation that this project may never see the light of day since the All-Star line is pretty much kaput.

8,075 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Let's look at this from a different direction.

Where has Wonder Woman 'worked' for you?

For instance, did she really click for you in "New Frontier?" Or in JLU? Or the 70's live-action series? Or even (god help you), All-Star Batman & Robin?

When you think of all the different versions of Wonder Woman, what bits and pieces do you say "Hey, that was pretty damn cool?"

For me, it's the previously mentioned "Wonder Woman teams up with avatars of other pantheons to fight evil." This was less about Wonder Woman the woman/golem/person and more about the sort of crazy greek god sword and sorcery epic-ness that can be so fun. Gail did a bit of it when Wonder Woman teamed up with Beowulf. THAT really worked for me.
Hartley Rathaway

For instance, did she really click for you in "New Frontier?" Or in JLU? Or the 70's live-action series? Or even (god help you), All-Star Batman & Robin?

When you think of all the different versions of Wonder Woman, what bits and pieces do you say "Hey, that was pretty damn cool?"

For me, it's the previously mentioned "Wonder Woman teams up with avatars of other pantheons to fight evil." This was less about Wonder Woman the woman/golem/person and more about the sort of crazy greek god sword and sorcery epic-ness that can be so fun. Gail did a bit of it when Wonder Woman teamed up with Beowulf. THAT really worked for me.
You know honestly, I think that New Frontier has been the only time that she's worked for me as a character. That scene where she was in Vietnam and had helped those women who had been kept prisoner just summed up so much about her character for me.

Dangerous Visionary

GLJordan
fashioned from clay and brought to life by the grecoroman gods, Diana, daughter of Queen Hippolyte, left her home to help make the outside world a better place.
she is a member of the Justice League of America.

That explains so much but so little. As a newcomer its just really confusing and doesn't perk my interests at all. I mean let's use Bats as an example again but just using like you did the bare basics:

Bruce Wayne/Batman: Orphan at young age when he's parents were violently killed at gunpoint in the streets of Gotham, Bruce Wayne uses his money, gadgets, and street smarts to strike terror and fear as a vigilante known as Batman on the city's criminal element. He is the Dark Knight of Gotham.

See that's appealing. What you said not so much for first timers like myself. As I'm like "huh"? I mean what if you're a kid and haven't had Geek/Roman studies yet? I know I forgot most of the Geek/Roman gods and goddess myself.

I know she isn't supposed to like Batman or Superman. Each hero is different in their own way but still. Wonder Woman should be more appealing and yes the big question is why isn't she? Is it because her origin is too complex or do we make it more complex than it should be.

Dangerous Visionary

Jonah Hex
Miss-dark8607

Also, I think DC should do what Marvel did. Create "Ultimate series" for W. Woman. Like it or not Marvel's Ultimate series helped first time readers get into the major Marvel worlds (Hell I finally kind of got into FF for once) and was pretty fresh for some long time fans. (I'm kind of in the middle there) So I suggest getting a team of writers and artists together and just make a couple of series bring back Woman Woman to her roots and make it simple enough for first time viewers.

That's my suggestion as a newer DC reader.

See that would had been great as I read and liked All-Star Superman so it really would have worked for DC benefit had that happen. Oh and does Wonder Woman have a collection of her greatest stories? You know like Batman, Superman, and hell even The Joker? As those collections are also good for first time readers like myself.

Dangerous Visionary

Veronica Cale
Kay_Challis

I like the idea.

Sounds like what they attempted to do with Aquaman. Giving him Sub-Diego as the street level city while keeping Atlantis as the lost messy place under the control of shady mages, trying to rebuild itself after a time displacement and the obsidian-dark age.

OYL when they went Kamandi with it all. They even had the archeological teams sharing room with ghosts and everything.

It didn't seem to have worked then. Of course, Wonder Woman is more popular and gets more good faith than Aquaman.

I have to say I like this idea as well as it would make her story a bit easier. Plus, yeah I don't want to retake or relearn about Geek/Roman gods and goddess again. Once was enough I think.
Miss-dark8607
GLJordan
fashioned from clay and brought to life by the grecoroman gods, Diana, daughter of Queen Hippolyte, left her home to help make the outside world a better place.
she is a member of the Justice League of America.

That explains so much but so little. As a newcomer its just really confusing and doesn't perk my interests at all. I mean let's use Bats as an example again but just using like you did the bare basics:

Bruce Wayne/Batman: Orphan at young age when he's parents were violently killed at gunpoint in the streets of Gotham, Bruce Wayne uses his money, gadgets, and street smarts to strike terror and fear as a vigilante known as Batman on the city's criminal element. He is the Dark Knight of Gotham.

See that's appealing. What you said not so much for first timers like myself. As I'm like "huh"? I mean what if you're a kid and haven't had Geek/Roman studies yet? I know I forgot most of the Geek/Roman gods and goddess myself.

I know she isn't supposed to like Batman or Superman. Each hero is different in their own way but still. Wonder Woman should be more appealing and yes the big question is why isn't she? Is it because her origin is too complex or do we make it more complex than it should be.

I was reading the myths for fun long before I studied them in school
Hartley Rathaway

75 to 85 and early Perez
Hartley Rathaway

Off the top of my head.... Perez' early stuff (the origins and first few arcs), and Rucka's run. To a lesser extent I liked Heinberg's run, but that was more for Circe being WW than Diana (and imo the super-spy secret identity is crap), as well as some of early on in Simone's run. I also liked her in New Frontier and JLU, but that wasn't always a spotlight on her like her own comic is.

I like the Greco-Roman stuff, the Pantheons, the Amazons and the whole "race of warriors" schtick, as well as how Diana can be the most understanding, loving, and compassionate woman on the planet... but is still a warrior of the highest degree.
Sorce
Off the top of my head.... Perez' early stuff (the origins and first few arcs), and Rucka's run. To a lesser extent I liked Heinberg's run, but that was more for Circe being WW than Diana (and imo the super-spy secret identity is crap), as well as some of early on in Simone's run. I also liked her in New Frontier and JLU, but that wasn't always a spotlight on her like her own comic is.

I like the Greco-Roman stuff, the Pantheons, the Amazons and the whole "race of warriors" schtick, as well as how Diana can be the most understanding, loving, and compassionate woman on the planet... but is still a warrior of the highest degree.
Personally of the DC Trinity, I think Wonder Woman is the one least in need of a secret identity. If you look at here character and you look at her personality, I don't think it suits her at all. Diana is royalty. She grew up as royalty. The only time a secret identity has ever served her is when she was competing as Wonder Woman. Diana might occasionally go out in secret and with a disguise but not all the time. I always picture her as someone who has no problem letting the world know she's Wonder Woman. The whole secret identity just doesn't seem to suit her in my opinion.
d. morris
The whole secret identity just doesn't seem to suit her in my opinion.
I agree; but the reboot is all about how Diana is a Golem that doesn't know what it's like to be human, so the secret identity is so she can learn about humanity. Though I kind of dropped the book a while ago so Gail may have (hopefully) gotten away from that undercurrent.

Though since Batman is the one that set up the secret ID, it's plausible that he'd make her a spy.... I guess.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff