Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maiadorn
DarkReaper40k
I've never been much a fan of turning a countries flag into an outfit.

It CAN be chic, if done right...

I always thought it was weird for Wonder Woman, because she's wearing another country's flag. I feel like at some point, especially in more recent history, she would have started wearing her own flag.
Ms. Selina Kyle
I always thought it was weird for Wonder Woman, because she's wearing another country's flag. I feel like at some point, especially in more recent history, she would have started wearing her own flag.

Does Themyscira have a flag? I don't think I've ever seen it. Though I've always thought it'd be like the Mexican flag, with the Eagle holding a snake in its talons.

Except, y'know. Not a snake.

burning_eyes
DarkReaper40k
I'm sorry I've never heard someone refer to something as 'chic' what does that mean in this context?

It means something like 'Fashionable'. Or 'Stylish'. Or

User Image
Maiadorn
Ms. Selina Kyle

Does Themyscira have a flag? I don't think I've ever seen it. Though I've always thought it'd be like the Mexican flag, with the Eagle holding a snake in its talons.

Except, y'know. Not a snake.

burning_eyes
I'm sure they have a flag. They've got a nation, haven't they? You don't want someone just coming in a sticking their flag on your ground and you have to give up because you don't have one...

I always thought it was weird too that Diana was the ambassador of her nation and yet wore an American flag all the time. Cue Tony Blair joke...
The suit itself was made to honor the woman who saved Themyscira; the pattern was thought to be her "standard".

The real story Post-Crisis is that a female pilot (Steve Trevor's mother, not-so-coincidentally named Diana) crash landed on Themyscira while some monster had escaped from the prison below the island. While it was tear-assing around the island, it was killing Amazons until Diana Trevor put a bullet in it. Though during the battle, she was mortally wounded and died. Two suits were made after her death, the first one Diana Trevor was buried in, and the second was kept to honor her. That outfit later became Wonder Woman's outfit.

Of course, the Amazons didn't know it was the US flag...
Ms. Selina Kyle
I'm sure they have a flag. They've got a nation, haven't they?

True, but their nation's been knocking around since Plato was in short...whatever they had instead of trousers. And they've largely existed in a state of isolation since then. I think the idea of a bit of cloth as being symbolic of a nation is a comparitively recent development. As is the concept of a nation, come to think of it.

Quote:
You don't want someone just coming in a sticking their flag on your ground and you have to give up because you don't have one...

I don't think Izzard's Law of Territorial Larceny can apply when the invadees are a warrior race who have lots of pointy weapons, a tendency towards belligerance and, and this is the clincher for me, flying horses.

Quote:
I always thought it was weird too that Diana was the ambassador of her nation and yet wore an American flag all the time. Cue Tony Blair joke...

Alright. Tony Blair walks into a pub with a duck under his arm...

But anyway, I think the rationale behind the star-spangled knickers is that the United States sometimes comes across as having invested in its flag the kind of sentiments more usually associated with a monarch. I think the Amazon's thinking went: 'Americans like their flag, if Diana wears the flag, Americans will like Diana.'

Of course if we're having her origin as involving World War 2, then the rationale was 'How to ensure that the only people shooting at her are the Axis.'

Cue joke about the American military tendency towards accidentally shooting allies, realise joke is in poor taste, feel like a bit of a tit...
Maiadorn
Quote:
You don't want someone just coming in a sticking their flag on your ground and you have to give up because you don't have one...

I don't think Izzard's Law of Territorial Larceny can apply when the invadees are a warrior race who have lots of pointy weapons, a tendency towards belligerance and, and this is the clincher for me, flying horses.
That and Themyscira wasn't actually accessible by anyone other than the Greek Pantheon (or the Amazons) until roundabout Rucka's run. It was "mystically hidden under Zeus protection".

That's part of the point of JMS' first arc; Themyscira now all of a sudden never had that protection, so the Amazons got continually invaded and decimated. It's why Diana was raised on the run and has a "hiding in plain sight" costume.
Sorce
[Exposition]

Ah, well. That makes my above theories look like a bucket of arsewater.

Thanks Sorce. xp heart

Although that story sounds a bit sus, to me. Said monster was dispatched by conventional weaponry. None of the Amazons thought '******** it, I'll just lob a spear through it's neck'? Or even 'Say, aren't we classically famous for our skill with the bow? What say we all archery the s**t out've the ********'?

It sounds a little bit too 'America! ******** yeah!' to me, I'm afriad...
Sorce
That and Themyscira wasn't actually accessible by anyone other than the Greek Pantheon (or the Amazons) until roundabout Rucka's run.

Now look here, Sorce. If you continue to highlight the fact that I clearly don't have a bloody clue what I'm on about, I'm going to have to burst into tears and run away in a very un-masculine fashion.

Just so we're clear... stare heart
Well, Wonder Woman IS an "America! ******** yeah!" character. She was created during WWII and has always had a very strong relationship with the US Military complex.

That's like complaining that Steve Roger's costume just isn't globally tolerant enough.
Linda Lee Danvers
Well, Wonder Woman IS an "America! ******** yeah!" character. She was created during WWII and has always had a very strong relationship with the US Military complex.

That's like complaining that Steve Roger's costume just isn't globally tolerant enough.

Now you're all doing it! scream heart
Sorce
That's part of the point of JMS' first arc; Themyscira now all of a sudden never had that protection, so the Amazons got continually invaded and decimated. It's why Diana was raised on the run and has a "hiding in plain sight" costume.

Ooooooooooh, I see.

All together now: Wibbley-wobbley...
did anybody actually try to design a new costume?
I did, but I don't have access to a scanner any more.

I could describe it, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces