Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Ring-a-ding-ding...

Kyousouka

Yeah, I think I really need to lop some things out of my story too, especially because a couple of years ago I started getting really obsessed with minute details & hows thing would realistically work, and ended up having the first few pages just describing the hallucinogenic properties of a type of berry and why it was central to elf culture - and ain't nobody got time for that xD

Anda, I will do C:

Kaxen

Eeee, I know what you mean with stopping before you've even started, I have so many ideas that I really like at first, butthen the planning gets out of hand and I lose interest xP

I'm finding that I'm doing a lot better now that I actually have scheduled time during the week for working on art, writing and other creative stuff though (like Monday, Tuesday & Thursday I do at least 5 hrs of webcomic stuff, Wednesday I do at least 5rs of general writing stuff, my Fridays are for animation - as are the latter ends of all the other days of the week, need to practice for my course xP - and weekends are anything I feel like doing on the day) - so maybe give something like that a try?

Xiam

It must feel pretty weird to be near the end of something you've been working on for so long surprised
How long did you work on your other finished webcomic?
Also, I checked out Power Rush, and I think it's safe to say you now have a new reader C:

...we have a winner!

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Emerlia
Xiam

It must feel pretty weird to be near the end of something you've been working on for so long surprised
How long did you work on your other finished webcomic?
Also, I checked out Power Rush, and I think it's safe to say you now have a new reader C:

Hooray, new reader!

It took me about two years to finish Melody & Macabre. But yeah, it's weird to finish every time.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Emerlia
Eeee, I know what you mean with stopping before you've even started, I have so many ideas that I really like at first, butthen the planning gets out of hand and I lose interest xP

I'm finding that I'm doing a lot better now that I actually have scheduled time during the week for working on art, writing and other creative stuff though (like Monday, Tuesday & Thursday I do at least 5 hrs of webcomic stuff, Wednesday I do at least 5rs of general writing stuff, my Fridays are for animation - as are the latter ends of all the other days of the week, need to practice for my course xP - and weekends are anything I feel like doing on the day) - so maybe give something like that a try?

Yeah. Having a schedule helps. I think it's why I was a bit more on top of things during school since I've been hellbent on having 3 day weekends all the time. xD

...except then I'd stumble whenever I end up crying over my watercolor homework. herp derp. >_>

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
How long have you been working on your current comic?
It's hard to say. i started uploading godsend to the internet in january of 2010, but we'd been working on it long before that.

Have you written other comics before this one?
godsend's a collaboration, but yes i have, and i will again. i miss it, actually, intensely.

Is there a planned end in sight with your current comic?
yep! well, there's a planned end, anyway. it's still a long, long way off though.

Any plans for other comics after your current?
oh yes. actually, since godsend's a webcomic, i tend to work on other projects alongside it. i'm wrapping up a horror short now, have another book on the side, and have promised some time to another writer i admire for next year. gonna die doin this s**t.

Invisible Regular

Having a comic that I want to keep working on... it feels good.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
i don't know if this is appropriate, but what the heck! is anyone up for a link exchange?
User Image

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
i don't do link exchanges. i link stuff if i personally read through it and decide my readers might be interested. otherwise, the links section becomes an unreliable mishmash.

Shadowy Phantom

I'm with megrar. I link to comics that I both admire and think would be of interest to the readers of the comic.
As a reader, I prefer to see that type of links, too. It's pretty easy to tell when an artist has carefully selected which comics they're linking, and when they're doing link exchanges. The latter tends to make for a useless links page.

If you want a nice link page, make a curated one of great comics your readers will like. If you want traffic, advertise (it doesn't have to cost money). Link exchanges make for mediocre links pages, and they drive very little traffic even from popular sites, compared to dedicated ads and features.
Oh hai, I just discovered this forum XD

- [Comic that still has no confirmed name yet] has been in my head for about 4 years now. I first came up with the idea near the tail-end of high school/start of college, made an attempt at it, but then got burned out halfway through the prologue. As of a few months ago I've resurrected it and have been putting serious effort into it. Currently I am writing out the plot/story, doing some historical/scientific research (it's a sci-fi comic with some historical references) and figuring out what direction I want to take it in. I really want to produce a really good quality comic so I'm going to put a lot of thought and effort during the planning stages. It's taking forever but I'm hoping it will be well worth it.

I've made attempts but they were very poorly planned and quickly abandoned because I rushed into it, didn't know what I was doing, and my art was not good enough to produce a quality comic anyways, lawl.

Yes, there is going to be a definite end to the comic. I'm not planning on stringing this along forever or filling it with a whole bunch of filler. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Not at the moment. I'm intending on getting into the concept art/gaming industry, but who knows, I may change my mind and just do comics all the time!
would like to start this thread up again.

So what are you guys' thoughts on the current state/trend of using kickstarter to fund a project?
I'm looking up info and past articles for a future one shot I'd like to create.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I've funded a few projects on Kickstarter. A few anthologies, some stuff from comic artists I've liked, and a glow in the dark dinoflagellate container shaped like a dinosaur because tumblr talked me into it.

It seems like a decent way to organize preorders and stuff for stuff.

I dunno... I don't think I'm internet-famous and non-flaky enough to do a kickstarter yet so I don't think very much about it from the creator side of it.
Oh man I didn't even notice this thread last time I came to check out this little section of the forums! Seems like by the dates things get posted.. it really is a slooow and quiet side of the forums too XD

Quote:
So what are you guys' thoughts on the current state/trend of using kickstarter to fund a project?

As long as you're willing to put all the work into it, I think it's a good way to get things funded such as getting your comic funded for a print version (Which can be expensive and isss usually better when its done in bulk with lots of pre-orders) I hear it's a good way to get your comic a little more known too.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
I finally dared to start own comic, and I do feel super nervous because I am first time author and artist.
I do have certain issues with writing a dialogue since I am not native English speaker and decided to go with show, don't tell approach. I was wondering if anybody has any reading suggestions for comics that approach the storytelling mostly by showing?

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Cetriya
would like to start this thread up again.

I think Kickstarter is great for small projects. Personally I try to only fund projects if they are for individuals or small groups, I am not a fan of already established studios or companies using kickstarter. I think on thing that most people don't realize is that if they add a ton of perks, the amount of time and money it will take to make and deliver everything. So if you choose to do perks make sure it is something viable on a larger scale than what you anticipate (like a computer wallpaper sent out by email) or you put a limit onto the amount you can make (like doing a set number of prints, so you only have to order one stack at most). Perks are awesome to draw people into your project but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them getting out of hand really fast.

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
A little more than a year.

Yep but they didn't last as long as my current strip Bleach and Cloth nor were as regular (at least one new strip a week).

No as it is a comic strip (as in he he ha ha stuff not plot heavy epic) not a piece of long fiction with a set start and end which is what my literary stories Exodus of Expectations (EoE) and The War or the Pilgrimage (WoP) are for.

Nope. I am fine current work combo of Bleach and Cloth, figure drawing, and chipping away at EoE and WoP.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff