Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well I think from 2000-2010 it was all about webcomics. It's easy, most of the time free and you get a lot of people reading your stuff. But it was hard to make money from it. It was the alternative though compared to trying to get accepted by a publisher or dumping thousands of dollars into self print and trying to distribute it yourself.

But just as the indie boom of the 90s differed from the 80s, and the 00s differed from the 90s, the 10s is entering a new era of pay before you get, with many fund raising sites that allow people to raise money for a project as well as getting sales before it's even done. Web comics will still be a place for kids and amateurs but you gotta ride the tide.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
zaMmaP
Well I think from 2000-2010 it was all about webcomics. It's easy, most of the time free and you get a lot of people reading your stuff. But it was hard to make money from it. It was the alternative though compared to trying to get accepted by a publisher or dumping thousands of dollars into self print and trying to distribute it yourself.

But just as the indie boom of the 90s differed from the 80s, and the 00s differed from the 90s, the 10s is entering a new era of pay before you get, with many fund raising sites that allow people to raise money for a project as well as getting sales before it's even done. Web comics will still be a place for kids and amateurs but you gotta ride the tide.

I like this post a lot. Anybody who had a regularly updating we comic right before webcomics were popular is doing very well right now. But I think people should stop using that as their business model because that golden moment is long gone.

I've had friends whose artwork got "stolen" meaning posted on 9gag or some other similar site without their permission. They always get in a big tizzy over it because they want the hits it received on their site but that's not how it works. If you tr to fight the market, the market will come out on top. If I tried to just sell comics it wouldn't work. That's why I offer all of the pages for free online because that's what people want in the age of the Internet.

I think those fund raising sites like Kickstarter are a blessing. The success rate is very high if you are providing a quality product that people want to see and you really push it to your audience. I actually want to try using one to fund the printing for a hardcover, full color book (but I'm scared of failing).

Versatile Explorer

10,250 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Ring-a-ding-ding...

It's a shame this forum is pretty dead now - I'm only just getting in to it myself, seem's like it must've been a really great place once upon a time ;c

...we have a winner!

Shadowy Phantom

Emerlia
It's a shame this forum is pretty dead now - I'm only just getting in to it myself, seem's like it must've been a really great place once upon a time ;c

If you want to see it alive and well again, make quality posts. Make the kinds of posts you want to see, and they'll bring other people out of hiding. Think of it this way: if there's nothing worthwhile to respond to, why would anyone post? Someone's got to start the discussions.

I hope to have some thread-worthy content soon, myself. I'd love to get some feedback on my comic style tests, but I need to get those done first xP I was going to start them a couple of weeks back but noticed I hadn't finalised my character designs, whoops. Finished those today.
my fundraiser for my comic is live

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anxious Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
Uuuuugh, I feel like such an idiot, but I can't help myself.

So, I'm already working hard at one series, not doing such a great job at the artwork, but still pushing along. Then I come up with two new ideas which I'm struggling not to let eclipse my earlier one because I do really want to do it, but I like the ideas.

Unfortunately one is a bit of a cliche now and may retread my current comic's themes, and the one I'm most excited about, and am doing well with art and everything, might also be a cliche (but at least that's only part of the premise), and I worry that another fantasy would just get lost in the jumble.

But I mean... at least I'm not really hitting the usual European fantasy tropes... or I'm twisting them into (hopefully) new ways...

Damn, I knew I should have tried harder at developing that prehistoric fantasy.

Dapper Dabbler

7,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Xiam

You should do a story about prehistoric people who do trepanning fighting the demons/spirits they release from their patients' heads. Because there is archaeological evidence of trepanning in the neolithic era and evidence the bone healed so the patients did survive at least for a little while.

....on the medieval fantasy note. I somehow talked myself into starting a story about a medieval princess in a newly established kingdom who marries a prince-turned-vampire who lost his kingdom a few decades ago. The vampire is not a people-person for various reasons and she's a scheme-y politician. She just keeps throwing him at anyone who tries to invade their kingdom because he is stronger than ten men at least and if they tie enough plate armor onto him, he's completely out of the reach of the sunlight.

And so they practice running the kingdom since the king is often absent because he's very intent on building a castle on his neighbor's land because flipping the bird isn't offensive enough or something.

And maybe they punch out a few scheming dukes because royal intrigue.

And ever since I started watching Downton Abbey, I obsessively think about the staff in any setting that has house/castle staff

Anxious Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
Kaxen
Xiam

You should do a story about prehistoric people who do trepanning fighting the demons/spirits they release from their patients' heads. Because there is archaeological evidence of trepanning in the neolithic era and evidence the bone healed so the patients did survive at least for a little while.

It was mostly going to be about a shaman. Would hopefully have trippy things reminiscent of cave paintings and like... encounters with spirits, and whatnot.

And now he keeps showing up in all kinds of stories up in my head. A modern one where he's living in a forest within or on the outskirts of a city, or just jamming him into another story to give a different character a weird, episodic adventure that plays off like a fairy tale or a horror story.

Kaxen

That in particular is awesome and I want to see it happen. Except I didn't read "scheming" at first and would really just like to see a princess run into a court while people are just doing administrative things, go straight up to a random duke, and deck the duke slug him.

Kaxen
And ever since I started watching Downton Abbey, I obsessively think about the staff in any setting that has house/castle staff

Aaand I misread that one as a cat staff. Now I'm thinking of a crazy person who has cat butlers and s**t.

Dapper Dabbler

7,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Xiam
Kaxen

That in particular is awesome and I want to see it happen. Except I didn't read "scheming" at first and would really just like to see a princess run into a court while people are just doing administrative things, go straight up to a random duke, and deck the duke slug him.

The princess whacks the vampire with a telescope stand, so she probably isn't above decking a duke if she feels justified.

Anxious Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
Kaxen
Xiam
Kaxen

The princess whacks the vampire with a telescope stand, so she probably isn't above decking a duke if she feels justified.

Score! o/

Eloquent Explorer

Kyousouka
If you want to see it alive and well again, make quality posts. Make the kinds of posts you want to see, and they'll bring other people out of hiding. Think of it this way: if there's nothing worthwhile to respond to, why would anyone post? Someone's got to start the discussions.

I hope to have some thread-worthy content soon, myself. I'd love to get some feedback on my comic style tests, but I need to get those done first xP I was going to start them a couple of weeks back but noticed I hadn't finalised my character designs, whoops. Finished those today.

Great advice, Kyousouka. I really miss this place too. It's nice to see my favourite thread of all time has had some posts in the last month - that's more activity than I expected xD

If you're planning some new threads, I may hang around and see if I can't contribute to them. I think the answer will probably be just that - I can't contribute to them. X3 But I'll try anyway.

Ruthless Pumpkin

12,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Uhh ... wow. This thread has exploded since the last time I checked it out. That's awesome! I'm glad it's become more of a free-talk than someone trying to get free artists, haha.

Benevolent Star

15,950 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
The webcomics declined in traffic a lot. While few years ago I'd get tons of traffic for lower quality comic (art-wise), currently I get much less per update.
I asume that it is because of oversaturation of similar content that makes people move onto different platforms, but I don't think one should write off webcomics only as platform for kids and amateurs. At least not forever.

Eloquent Explorer

Chrissi Pumpkin
Uhh ... wow. This thread has exploded since the last time I checked it out. That's awesome! I'm glad it's become more of a free-talk than someone trying to get free artists, haha.

This thread being a comic studio lasted for about 2 pages x3 Unfortunately for its creator it got derailed almost instantly (I admit I was partially responsible for that) and it's been a free chat hangout ever since. You must have checked in pretty early!

Ruthless Pumpkin

12,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
enchantedsleeper
Chrissi Pumpkin

This thread being a comic studio lasted for about 2 pages x3 Unfortunately for its creator it got derailed almost instantly (I admit I was partially responsible for that) and it's been a free chat hangout ever since. You must have checked in pretty early!

Ooohhh, I just looked at the date of the original post. I guess the creator tried to enlist artists/writers again last week, and I was confusing the two threads.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff