Welcome to Gaia! ::

Argh. In Spanish, I have to keep reminding myself, "DON'T SAY 'PUTA.' THE WORD IS 'PUERTA.'" The former means whore/slut/b***h(using it for b***h is slang; the word for b***h is actually 'perra') and puerta means door. DX
Mink_LaLa
Argh. In Spanish, I have to keep reminding myself, "DON'T SAY 'PUTA.' THE WORD IS 'PUERTA.'" The former means whore/slut/b***h(using it for b***h is slang; the word for b***h is actually 'perra') and puerta means door. DX

LOL

... I keep saying Oppai Ippai when I'm trying to say "I'm Full" (Oppai Ippai is "Big tits" Onaka Ippai is "I'm Full" )
I've got in same sort of troubles in Sweden WAY TOO OFTEN. I mean, I'm not good in Swedish, so speaking English nearly weekly, so it's pretty natural to speak to switch in English and back to Swedish, when I don't know the actual word in Swedish. But, there's this verb, "fit" in English, and it is quite logical to bend that as "fitta"considered, what's the basic verb structure is in Swedish, yet I always manage to forget that "fitta" means the naughty bits of a woman in Swedish. rolleyes
Mink_LaLa

Try living on the Mexican border. The struggle gets harder.
Panic At The NuclearPlant
Mink_LaLa

One slip up and you could get beat up gonk

Oh I also mix up "Thanks for the meal" with "Master" in Japanese.

Gosishou sama deshita
Gochushou sama.

I might have ******** them up right there too.
Psycho Bunny Studio
Panic At The NuclearPlant
Mink_LaLa

One slip up and you could get beat up gonk

Oh I also mix up "Thanks for the meal" with "Master" in Japanese.

Gosishou sama deshita
Gochushou sama.

I might have ******** them up right there too.

Indeed...>>

....Wait....
*Grabs Japanese homework- Crap... I put the wrong thing down for Thanks for the Meal o_____O No wonder the teacher looks at me funny.
Freakin' languages, slipping people up with their similar words and different meanings. >x<

Oh, and if you want to say, for example, "at night" in Spanish, it's "por la noche," not "en la noche." En means at/on/etc., things involving location, but if I said, "Trabajo en la noche."("I work at night" ) that'd actually be wrong. :/ Though according to my professor, people will say 'en la noche/tarde/etc' but you're not actually supposed to say it that way. I guess it's like how people who are ESL tend to speak more grammatically correctly English than a native speaker.

And this all makes me scared to try to learn Japanese. D:
English is pretty forgiving language after all. I heard this one American speaking with this Finnish guy in the train and God, there were really, really odd word choices, but the American understood it pretty well. It just so funny to see, how differently non-native English speakers think, when they need to tell or describe something, what's not covered in their daily basis English. I mean, not an exception, I would be really deep s**t, if I need to something with medical or financial terms for example.
"Like what's this thing, what the...doctor guy, who fiddles your teeth and such, stabs you with this thing, like how they take heroin straight to blood circulation and then you don't feel anything on your face, and someone could punch you on the face and you won't feel a thing at the moment..."
"Dentist giving anesthetic shot that makes your face go numb?"
"Yeah, that." :B
English is sort of a freak language, when you think about it. I mean, look at words like thoroughly, perpendicular, sesquipedalian. Then there's "'I' before 'e' except after 'c' and when pronounced like a as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.'" Unless it's an exception...

Reminds me of a guy on The Daily Show who had been talking to a woman from North Korean, who had asked him if he could get her DVDs of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES to learn English. I could see how watching shows in English might help, but...why Desperate Housewives?
Empuska
English is pretty forgiving language after all. I heard this one American speaking with this Finnish guy in the train and God, there were really, really odd word choices, but the American understood it pretty well. It just so funny to see, how differently non-native English speakers think, when they need to tell or describe something, what's not covered in their daily basis English. I mean, not an exception, I would be really deep s**t, if I need to something with medical or financial terms for example.
"Like what's this thing, what the...doctor guy, who fiddles your teeth and such, stabs you with this thing, like how they take heroin straight to blood circulation and then you don't feel anything on your face, and someone could punch you on the face and you won't feel a thing at the moment..."
"Dentist giving anesthetic shot that makes your face go numb?"
"Yeah, that." :B

Yea English is one of those languages where you can pretty much drop things and mispronounce everything and still get across and be generally understood.

Japanese... Ugh some Japanese people can barely understand anything I say not because I say it wrong half the time but because once someone white opens their mouth they turn of their brains thinking whatever I say is in English even if it's NOT. But ACTUALLY say something wrong and it's like OMG END OF THE CONVERSATION I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU.
Mink_LaLa
English is sort of a freak language, when you think about it. I mean, look at words like thoroughly, perpendicular, sesquipedalian. Then there's "'I' before 'e' except after 'c' and when pronounced like a as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.'" Unless it's an exception...

Reminds me of a guy on The Daily Show who had been talking to a woman from North Korean, who had asked him if he could get her DVDs of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES to learn English. I could see how watching shows in English might help, but...why Desperate Housewives?

She probably just likes the show. New exchange student at my school watched True Blood to help her English. (She's from Slovakia)
I find European languages more confusing. So many letters! xd In Japanese, the characters almost all sound the same no matter what.
Mink_LaLa

Not alone, that British English has those "u"'s nearly everywhere, where American English doesn't have. And since at least English teachers here are strict about teaching British English in school, so it quite well ******** up those kids' vocabularies, who have more influences from American English. And vice versa, it take really, really long for me to write "color" instead of "colour", when writing HTML for example. :l
But then again, it's the plus side to be from language region that EVERY LETTER COUNTS in the word, then EVERY LETTER COUNTS, was it silent or not. I remember, when I had French in mid-school, and well, it was really "How...what...where these letters comes from?! 50% of them have to be completely useless! WHY YOU HAVE TO WRITE THE FIRST H, IF YOU DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD?!", when learning the proper writing of the words for tests. :B
That's a good question: why is it there if you don't pronounce it? XP
I never studied so long to know why. emo
But maybe it's affects the whole pronunciation, yet well, 14-year-old me rather wanted to b***h about it than want to understand these awesome aspects of French language. :B

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff