Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Phoenix Rises Again
I am more and more confused. You have yet to point out what I did wrong or how to not 'get into fights' when others don't explain things and I try to get them to explain things? Would that tactic work on you? You didn't explain then and you aren't explaining now and I don't see how pointing that out is rude when I just want to understand the problem and be able to fix things.

Okay, first Phoenix? You're in an editing class. If you want to make a space after a question mark or whatever, just one will do. It just looks weird if you use two.

I wasn't actually trying to revive the Star Wars debate. If you don't want to think it's a space opera, that ain't none of my business. I was just using it as an example about how you're always so quick to go bananas over these things.

Now you want to know tactics? A'rite, let's talk tactics:

If you want me to explain something to you, just say:

The Phoenix Rises Again
Pardon me sir, but I do believe that I'm having a spot of trouble understanding your point. Would you be willing to help me out, and elaborate on it?

That's all. Nobody is going to get mad at you for that. I mean, if you do it too much, then people might get annoyed, but still, it'd be an improvement.

The Phoenix Rises Again
Maltese_Falcon91
EDIT:
Hey! Did you edit your last post?

I don't think I did

Then who the hell did I just quote? Do you have an evil twin or something?
Maltese_Falcon91
Okay, first Phoenix? You're in an editing class. If you want to make a space after a question mark or whatever, just one will do. It just looks weird if you use two.

At the moment, both are allowed unless the publisher says not to. Two was the usual version when I started writing and editing and some places and people still use that version. It's still a valid way of writing.

Maltese_Falcon91
I wasn't actually trying to revive the Star Wars debate. If you don't want to think it's a space opera, that ain't none of my name business. I was just using it as an example about how you're always so quick to go bananas over these things.

Asking for an explanation is going bananas? How?

The Phoenix Rises Again
Pardon me sir, but I do believe that I'm having a spot of trouble understanding your point. Would you be willing to help me out, and elaborate on it?

That's all. Nobody is going to get mad at you for that. I mean, if you do it too much, then people might get annoyed, but still, it'd be an improvement.
So I shouldn't expect people to explain things after I point out flaws they disagree with? I don't believe that makes sense. If I point out something valid you disagree with, shouldn't I expect you to be mature and explain; rather than get mad, troll, or repeat what you said? In both my editing class, every class on debate and communication, and critical thinking, I was told to do so.

I have also asked people for explanations many times, including a few days ago in this thread, as did others. It prompted the person asked to get angry. Those who ask or expect explanations should not be considered 'going bananas' or 'starting a fight'.

I still have no idea why I am at fault for expecting others to be rational and mature. I am not expecting people to know quantum mechanics, but something rudimentary and learned before one is old enough to be on Gaia.

Could you please explain the flaw you see in my reasoning. I did not get one that made sense the first time.
I'm sorry to intrude in this but I don't think these arguments are going anywhere. sweatdrop

TPRA, if more than often people start argument fights when you ask for explanations or point things out then maybe the problem is not with them. eek

Don't sweat much about it though, but if you want to avoid it maybe you should just back off when people start getting annoyed and stop pushing their buttons. Even if you do have a point and it could turn out in an interesting discussion, it's not worth it if the other part doesn't want to discuss. And a lot of arguments I've seen around here didn't have a right and a wrong, but were matter of opinion. Hope it made sense and helped somehow. sweatdrop
Mai Picklepie

Don't sweat much about it though, but if you want to avoid it maybe you should just back off when people start getting annoyed and stop pushing their buttons. Even if you do have a point and it could turn out in an interesting discussion, it's not worth it if the other part doesn't want to discuss. And a lot of arguments I've seen around here didn't have a right and a wrong, but were matter of opinion. Hope it made sense and helped somehow. sweatdrop

I have trouble telling when someone doesn't understand and is just plain mad and there's no hope of them understanding a lot.

I gave up on Tenshi, but she made her intentions very clear. Same with Rani.

I actually love discussions where both sides are right. I have a lot of fun with those on DA, but both people understand that too.

I think the problem here is that I'm online all the time, as I study and work online. If I were only online as much as other regs, there would probably be less fights.

I still think I have customer service disease. Maltese kind of showed that, as did the other two I just gave up on. If I give up on Maltese, though, I think he/she'd take offense at being considered trolling.

Edit: Maybe I should start doing what this thread is about and kicking a** and compromising with Maltese that if someone won't explain the first time they should, I'll point out they need to, then start with the emphasis the third time.
Mai Picklepie
I'm sorry to intrude in this but I don't think these arguments are going anywhere. sweatdrop

Hey man, don't worry about it. This is a public forum, and things would get pretty boring if nobody every joined a conversation. Besides, you had good points, and probably explained things better than I did.
The Phoenix Rises Again
If I give up on Maltese, though, I think he/she'd take offense at being considered trolling.

Uh, no I wouldn't. Well, I guess it depends on how you word it. If you just politely said 'Let's agree to disagree' then I would respect that. Also I'm a guy.
The Phoenix Rises Again
Maybe I should start doing what this thread is about and kicking a** and compromising with Maltese that if someone won't explain the first time they should, I'll point out they need to, then start with the emphasis the third time.

O...kay. Uh, I don't think going into things with the mindset of 'I'm going to kick some a**' is the best way to approach it. In fact it's probably the worst. Just... just be respectful and polite to others. If they don't explain something adequately, then just ask nicely. You aren't going to start fights that way.
Maltese_Falcon91

Just... just be respectful and polite to others.

That was the strategy I was trying in the first place that started so many fights.

Or are trolls just attracted to that?
The Phoenix Rises Again
That was the strategy I was trying in the first place that started so many fights.

Uh, Phoenix?
The Phoenix Rises Again
What is it with people thinking being warned they are making themselves look like they are making the wrong argument as a threat and not as the actual warning you were told it was?

You said something that is practically verbatim for a speech used at least five times in this forum by the people you are not defending and don't want to look like you're defending. A warning like that, though often sugarcoated, is a common author query--something people are paid to tell the author so they do not make such mistakes.

Don't 'enlighten' me about what I obviously wasn't talking about. That would be a tangent. I made an obviously relevant statement--that your argument was too close to something self-defeating and used by the wrong party; in fact, that very speech has been mentioned in this thread before, as has making things up and calling someone who gives warnings a troll

Also 'noob' is not lingo. It is a very common word and considered normal terminology on the internet these days.

Calm down and consider these points, please. You are doing exactly what I tried to prevent you from doing and since you made the statement that people come here for help--a comment I've made for years--you'd know that I posted in order to help.

See, you're being aggressive. And that in turn causes other people to respond with aggression. So, in layman's terms "Them's fightin words."

Just try saying something like this:
The Phoenix Rises Again
I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Look, all I'm trying to say is that people who break the rules like using that exact same speech to justify themselves breaking the rules. I can dig up some of their old posts if you really want me too.

I apologize if you think I took something you said out of context, though I'm not really clear on what your original context was. Can you explain your argument further?

The Phoenix Rises Again
Or are trolls just attracted to that?

Well... there's disagreeing with you, and then there's trolling. All I've seen so far is the former. Sometimes people get upset in the process, but there's no conspiracy of Gaians who post just to piss you off. Besides, if you think someone is trolling, just leave. They win when you respond to them.
Yes, I edited this post.

You're examples still make no sense. You are still not explaining things, as you should be. Do you intend to do that?

I never said there was a conspiracy. I said I was polite in thinking people were mature.
The Phoenix Rises Again
You haven't seen the last few pages? Not you, but Tenshi and Rani.

Nah, when I went to grab that last quote you said to Tenshi, I actually had a blindfold on.
The Phoenix Rises Again
That's why I gave up on Tenshi and Rani. And a few others.

While Tenshi was being long winded, she wasn't trolling. Rani was actually willing to live and let live. She said some stupid things, and wasn't really very good at defending herself, but she wasn't here looking for a fight.

EDIT:
Can you maybe not edit your post while I'm typing?
Tenshi was definitely trolling. She gave an essay on why using the term 'noob' made me both stupid and superior, ignoring the point that I merely asked her to reword her statement so she's have more credit to what I agreed with (this was pointed out three times). I asked her what term she wanted to use and how to rephrase it and again got a lecture about how I'm the one who made things up. She also intentionally ignored other posts to her that didn't quote her.

Rani wasn't trolling, just wasn't good at understanding. Two other people were trying to get information from her before we all said we had no reason to believe her and she agreed that was fine. That's not disagreeing, it's being a stick in the mud.

I've mentioned before I've been corrected and had civil disagreements before online before and I don't reply any differently.

I'll try to edit less in the future for you, by the way.

Edit: since you left, I can safely edit. I'm giving up on this as I'm not learning anything new.
I'm bumping this.

Also, should degrading into a severe but obvious troll over basic naming rules (in a spam thread no less) count?

I'm still curious about Tenshi's trolling..

Fashionable Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
How about trying to claim that plagiarism isn't actually plagiarism? razz
SilverRinehart66

Ah, the classics.

Do teachers know about gaia?

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
SilverRinehart66

You're talking about FallenStar, yes? xD I saw that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff