Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Codger

Indeed. Also, have you ever noticed that the free speech defense makes the WF descend with their Almighty Snarkiness Regarding Hypocrisy?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
Indeed. Also, have you ever noticed that the free speech defense makes the WF descend with their Almighty Snarkiness Regarding Hypocrisy?

Which can sometimes lift the spirits of those offended. xd

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Even I can work out that the constitution isn't meant to be set in stone - it's called an amendment for a very good reason. I know judges will rule things out as being unconstitutional but...technically, they don't have to.

No freedom is without limits - see yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater. Even if it was unlimited, well the thing about freedom of speech is that it's a tricksy beggar and it applies to everyone, not just those you agree with - otherwise it wouldn't be very free, now would it?

That's assuming you even have freedom of speech on Gaia - nope. They're inalienable in that they're unwaverable in a public place - gaia isn't a public place as much as the public come here to chat - it's more of a really big mansion where the owner does jack squat about squatters unless they're troublesome.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Even I can work out that the constitution isn't meant to be set in stone - it's called an amendment for a very good reason. I know judges will rule things out as being unconstitutional but...technically, they don't have to.

No freedom is without limits - see yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater. Even if it was unlimited, well the thing about freedom of speech is that it's a tricksy beggar and it applies to everyone, not just those you agree with - otherwise it wouldn't be very free, now would it?

That's assuming you even have freedom of speech on Gaia - nope. They're inalienable in that they're unwaverable in a public place - gaia isn't a public place as much as the public come here to chat - it's more of a really big mansion where the owner does jack squat about squatters unless they're troublesome.

There's also the reason it was made to take into consideration. The founding fathers didn't intend to stir up trouble. They wanted a peaceful change and left Holland of all places, which was known for people saying and publishing their ideas without either side behaving badly (at the time). Holland kicked them out because other countries got mad at Holland for harboring them The amendment was made to protect people against trolling behavior, not to protect it.

(Please correct my history civilly if i goofed somewhere).

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

There's also the reason it was made to take into consideration. The founding fathers didn't intend to stir up trouble. They wanted a peaceful change and left Holland of all places, which was known for people saying and publishing their ideas without either side behaving badly (at the time). Holland kicked them out because other countries got mad at Holland for harboring them The amendment was made to protect people against trolling behavior, not to protect it.

Half the time the founding fathers didn't follow their own rules anyway. 'All men are created equal', well, unless you were black, colores de libre, or native, anyway.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Half the time the founding fathers didn't follow their own rules anyway. 'All men are created equal', well, unless you were black, colores de libre, or native, anyway.

Or a woman or didn't own enough property, or didn't flaunt wealth the way they did.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3
I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

Or a woman or didn't own enough property, or didn't flaunt wealth the way they did.

Property and wealth-flaunting are valid points but technically, they never claimed that women were created equal.

On the note about 'civil' - civil wars just bug me. I know intellectually that the idea is 'War of the Citizens' - but it conjures up images of 'May I kill you, please?' and 'Certainly' which is rather at odds with the whole idea of battle.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Firlodge_3

On the note about 'civil' - civil wars just bug me. I know intellectually that the idea is 'War of the Citizens' - but it conjures up images of 'May I kill you, please?' and 'Certainly' which is rather at odds with the whole idea of battle.

You made me laugh so hard my cat freaked out.

Invisible Codger

I_Write_Ivre
Firlodge_3

You made me laugh so hard my cat freaked out.

I'm sorry I scared your cat, then.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Rule Number: Defeatist Attitude

I'm sorry, but this just pisses me all off to the seven circles of Hell. Or nine or whatever many there are. Writing is NOT easy. No one ever said it was. It takes hard work and dedication and time to get to where we all dream about. That wonderful first story is a myth. Writing something and suddenly becoming famous is so rare it might as well be a myth (with only like two or three people ever experiencing it, but some of that work was very shoddy). For the majority of us, we must hammer away at our craft until we are sick of it!

So what do kids today do? They expect it to be easy and when it's not, whine. "No one likes my work", "I don't want to work on it", "I quit". All of this pisses me off. I never went through that. Not once. The worst I ever got was "I'm not as good as so-and-so". You know what I did? I didn't throw my s**t down and quit because someone else was better (and believe me, she let me know how much better she was compared to me). I picked up my notebook and said, "I'm going to keep at this until I'm better than that b***h." Which, I am now because of that.

Whenever I read these "I suck" postes, I know all they want is someone to coddle them and kiss their boo-boos and tell them how super wonderful they are. I don't coddle anyone! Ever! Okay, newborns yes, but I'm talking about writing. If you want to get out of sucking, work at it. If it's too hard, then maybe writing isn't for you. Any idiot can write, but to hone the craft into something worthy of adoring fans? That takes hard work.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Allegiant

9,575 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Fireweed_honey

This story made me lose my fear of Slender Man.

No F*cking Joke. Should I murder her or kiss her?

--

I will track that little brat down to the Burger King she works at, figure out when she does drive through window, and do a perfect 'Fire in the hole' with a large coke.

And then I drive away screaming 'For the Writer's Forum, b*tch!'

--

Welcome to my life~

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
You spend pages upon pages arguing that no one should EVER use adverbs and speech tags together, all the while having no idea what ad hominem or the word paraphrase is.

Beloved Gawker

9,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
It was probably said already, but how about those lovely "I'll rate your story if you rate mine!!! heart heart " posts? Oh, how could I resist getting a rating of my story from such an accomplished critic?

O.G. Elder

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lack of proper respect for Gamera, Defender of the Universe and Friend to All Children.
Worry not, friends.
Together, all problems in this WF can be solved.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff