Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nightmare1
Art theft angers me more than anything. I have been stolen from, and even at thirteen, she should know that.

Heck, my 'niece' at four had a good, firm, solid grasp on the 'We ask first' rule.

EDIT: WHEE! Page 184.

Hallowed Phantom

My three-year-old brother knows how to ask first. It is not a hard concept.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Nightmare1
My three-year-old brother knows how to ask first. It is not a hard concept.

Indeed. In conclusion, a three year old would be ashamed of themselves after that. She's proud of something that would shame somebody ten years your junior?

Uhh...where's the stone? Can we please drown this kid?

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Astrid-157
Morning.

Evening.
Firlodge_the_second
Astrid-157
Morning.

Evening.

Top 'o the afternoon to ya.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
The Hardboiled Gypsy
Firlodge_the_second
Astrid-157
Morning.

Evening.

Top 'o the afternoon to ya.

Now all we need is someone to say goodnight. XD.

Hallowed Phantom

Good evening. [/close enough]
Good Twilight
gonk
Good breaking dawn, everyone!

Reason Number Symbolism - If your symbol is an object, it'd better have some use in the plot or to the character. Literature nowadays have no depth, and no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use symbols in your stories. In fact, symbols come naturally; the more you force them into a story, the more readers will realize this and turn a blind eye to it. While I realize this could just be my own personal preference, I was reading through a friend's story today.

I asked something like, "What is this [ring] for? What function does this have in the story?" because I was curious. It was random and had no relevance, in my opinon. He replies, "It symbolizes a promise made between two good friends."

Fair enough. The meaning is right. But the story wasn't about promises (*at least not yet), nor was it about two good friends. In fact, the ring was given to the character as a hand-me-down from his mother. The ring wasn't even used as a catalyst to a reminisce about his mother, nor did my friend ever intend on writing the character giving it to the other person.
*A problem with critiquing chapter by chapter, but this was the next-to-last chapter.

Symbolisms are composed of two things: a literal meaning and a deeper/metaphorical meaning.

Look at Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. Take a look at the river, which symbolizes transition. It helped Montag get away because it's flowing water. Or look at the white handkerchief in Shakespeare's Othello if you like Shakespearian plays (which I do). The handkerchief was used by Iago to deceive Othello and is symbolically the loss of Othello's composure (a meaning my student teacher rejected). But sometimes, a river is just a river or a handky is just a handky.

So... end of point.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Yes. Altough reason number don't lie.

I don't care if your ring is just random, as long as you admit it and don't pull a completely stupid reason out of a hat.
Oh, yes. By all means, don't lie about something being a symbol.

With me, if a character gives someone something and I describe it, it'll be important in the plot, or at least a side plot.

Either that or I'll say "he gave her a necklace" and never mention it again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff