Welcome to Gaia! ::

HeIIoKrissy
It's a stupid question and it has a simple answer.

A woman [person], regardless of her [their] circumstances or profession is, in fact, a woman [a ******** person, enough said. Who gives a s**t about their gender/sex]. She [or he or any human being] should be provided the same legal protection from rape, abuse, and murder as anyone else.

But it completely stumps me how over 80% of women in the prostitution industry have been raped and almost none of them go reported. For the most part, women [and men] are afraid of being arrested. But even the ones that do go to the police are laughed at, and are told they deserved it.

So does a prostitute deserve to be raped?

For reference, here are some startling statistics that demonstrate how serious a problem this really is:
* Prostitutes are raped, on the average, eight to ten times per year
* 78% of 55 women who sought help from the Council for Prostitution Alternatives in 1991 reported being raped an average of 16 times a year by pimps, and were raped 33 times a year by johns.
* women in prostitution have a mortality rate 40 times higher than the national average.

I was wrong, there isn't just one stupid question in this thread but there's two.

The first is the title of this thread, and the second is "So does a prostitute deserve to be raped?"

Seriously? I mean really? This question is so stupid it deserves no serious response.

I corrected some statements in your post
Yeah this is a bit off-topic perhaps but do you want to see prostitutes treated with human dignity, and put them in a situation where they can go to the police without legal repercussion?

Then how about this brilliant idea, just ******** legalize prostitution, take it out of private hands completely and have it be a government service. Have prostitutes be hired of government employees, have the prostitution industry be government controlled so there is no incentive for the owners to cut corners to increase profits.

Have prostitution be regulated and controlled by the government, the prostitutes can be regularly tested for STD's, you can have hired body guards at every prostitution store (or whatever you want to call it) so they can throw out the guy who abuses the female prostitute.

Keeping prostitution illegal is what allows this kind of bullshit to continue. By keeping it illegal you are only continuing the suffering of women who otherwise would have a much more comfortable life. The prostitutes would be much more safe, as would the customers, the money gets taken out the hands of the criminals and the tax money can be used to finance some welfare program to try and reduce poverty and thus give these women a better opportunity to not even be prostitutes in the first place.

That said though I do have to say that even though I do advocate legalizing prostitution that does not mean I think it's morally acceptable. I actually do think the idea of paying a woman to have sex with you is ******** up, I think there is something morally wrong with that. And yes I know the woman is consenting blah blah blah, I get that. But the thing is that of the women who are prostitutes, how many of them actually want to be a prostitute? How many women are prostitutes only because they are super desperate and have little to no other options? I'll tell you, just about all of them. If the women who are prostitutes had the financial opportunity to do something else, they would quit prostitution.

So in a way prostitutes actually are indirectly forced into being prostitutes, it's true they are not being forced in a direct sense by any human being and I do think that's an important distinction. But at the same time they are indirectly forced because they have to make money to keep themselves alive and they have no other options. So I mean really, how legitimate is a prostitute's consent when she has the choice to ******** a bunch of men or be homeless and probably get killed or something? That to me does not sound like a fair and legitimate "consent" and thus that's why I personally would never have sex with a prostitute or have sex with a woman for any favor. It's just ******** up in my opinion, I'd much rather die a virgin and a ******** loser than do that and I'll do it with some god damn pride thank you very much.

But I do think the idea of trying to get rid of prostitution entirely is a ******** pipe dream that only a delusional idealist could possibly believe is a legitimate stance. The problem is that too many men are desperate and want to have sex, the problem is that a lot of women will never understand this because they refuse to acknowledge that there's differences between the sex's. They have the delusional mindset that the sex's are only different because of the environment (which is utter crap) and that if we only teach men how to behave that prostitution will go away. It won't happen, it's situations like these where acknowledging sex differences would actually help, because then we could actually solve this problem in a practical way instead of having these ridiculously ludicrous goals that will never become reality.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Mae Lovelyn
apathetic frost165
Chieftain Twilight
apathetic frost165
The serious part of me says yes. The funny part of me says no, you can only rob them

it's not funny. nothing about that is funny.
Neither are dead babies but those jokes can be pretty funny. What is the difference between a truck full of dead babies and a truck full of bowling balls? I can unload a truck of dead babies with a pitch fork. It is called dark humor.

I'm guilty of laughing at dead baby jokes. And initially, I thought this thread would be about that one prostitute joke of whether or not it would be rape or shoplifting. I have been told my dark humor is not appreciated. redface

I'm certainy horrified by it. I am not amused. I find it not only disgusting, but unethical and socially dangerous.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Sopiyu
No one deserves to be raped., unless they are a rapist themselves. [emote removed]

But prostitutes are doing something risky and they need to know that s**t like that can happen. It's not right, but it happens.

I fixed it for you.

Lavish Loiterer

Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
apathetic frost165
Chieftain Twilight
apathetic frost165
The serious part of me says yes. The funny part of me says no, you can only rob them

Neither are dead babies but those jokes can be pretty funny. What is the difference between a truck full of dead babies and a truck full of bowling balls? I can unload a truck of dead babies with a pitch fork. It is called dark humor.

I'm guilty of laughing at dead baby jokes. And initially, I thought this thread would be about that one prostitute joke of whether or not it would be rape or shoplifting. I have been told my dark humor is not appreciated. redface

I'm certainy horrified by it. I am not amused. I find it not only disgusting, but unethical and socially dangerous.

Well I'm certain you're not the only one who feels that way. And it's fine if it makes you uncomfortable. My humor just differs from yours.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
apathetic frost165
Chieftain Twilight
apathetic frost165

Well I'm certain you're not the only one who feels that way. And it's fine if it makes you uncomfortable. My humor just differs from yours.

it's not really fine, though.... it's far more serious than just being a difference of humour. jokes like that about rape and sex work (whether individually or together) perpetuate rape culture, as well as sexism. and frankly, jokes about violence of any kind (theft, murder, rape, abuse, so on) encourage both the decensitization of cruel and callous behavior, and also foster the idea that violence and cruelty are petty and/or entertaining.

the fact that people can be easily triggered by jokes like these, after having experienced or witnessed trauma or other extremely stressful situations, is harmful both mentally and emotionally. peoples' psychological health is on the line, here. this is severe ableism.

words hurt. language and culture shape eachother, and guide eachother. if we are ever going to change our culture to something better we have to change our thoughts, our words, and our behaviors. joking about terrible things sends the message that terrible things are trivial. and they just aren't trivial.

Lavish Loiterer

Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
apathetic frost165

it's not really fine, though.... it's far more serious than just being a difference of humour. jokes like that about rape and sex work (whether individually or together) perpetuate rape culture, as well as sexism. and frankly, jokes about violence of any kind (theft, murder, rape, abuse, so on) encourage both the decensitization of cruel and callous behavior, and also foster the idea that violence and cruelty are petty and/or entertaining.

the fact that people can be easily triggered by jokes like these, after having experienced or witnessed trauma or other extremely stressful situations, is harmful both mentally and emotionally. peoples' psychological health is on the line, here. this is severe ableism.

words hurt. language and culture shape eachother, and guide eachother. if we are ever going to change our culture to something better we have to change our thoughts, our words, and our behaviors. joking about terrible things sends the message that terrible things are trivial. and they just aren't trivial.

Jfc. Seriously, Twilight? I was trying to agree to disagree with you in order to avoid a lengthy post of why you're offended that the brand of humor I have is shared with others and thus it's a major social problem

I get it. You don't like. Others don't like. I like it. Others like it. I quoted you to avoid the monstrous circle-jerk that's going to continue while you fire away about how insensitive and thoughtless words will hurt people's feelings.

So what?

I don't exist to cater to the feelings of others. I am not obligated for every person that may or may not get offended by the things I type or say. And it's not like I point to a random person on the street and scream a dead baby joke at them in the hopes that they'll understand it's a joke and they'll laugh. That's rude and definitely not something I get a kick out of. There is a thing called tact and I've learned the hard way how to utilize it.

HOWEVER if I'm in a group of like-minded individuals that fully understand that the things we say in jest really are a serious matter and yet we laugh anyway, then I will continue to do so in the company of those individuals.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
apathetic frost165

Jfc. Seriously, Twilight? I was trying to agree to disagree with you in order to avoid a lengthy post of why you're offended that the brand of humor I have is shared with others and thus it's a major social problem

I get it. You don't like. Others don't like. I like it. Others like it. I quoted you to avoid the monstrous circle-jerk that's going to continue while you fire away about how insensitive and thoughtless words will hurt people's feelings.

So what?

I don't exist to cater to the feelings of others. I am not obligated for every person that may or may not get offended by the things I type or say. And it's not like I point to a random person on the street and scream a dead baby joke at them in the hopes that they'll understand it's a joke and they'll laugh. That's rude and definitely not something I get a kick out of. There is a thing called tact and I've learned the hard way how to utilize it.

HOWEVER if I'm in a group of like-minded individuals that fully understand that the things we say in jest really are a serious matter and yet we laugh anyway, then I will continue to do so in the company of those individuals.

you should know by now that I am the kind of person who will speak up. I don't want to agree to disagree on this. I see it as a big problem that needs to be addressed. and I get that you don't see it that way. but that doesn't change my opinion, or my sense of social responsibility.

and by the way, I have no idea what "jfc" means. could you explain that, please? sweatdrop I'm terrible with acronyms.

Lavish Loiterer

Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight

So what?

you should know by now that I am the kind of person who will speak up. I don't want to agree to disagree on this. I see it as a big problem that needs to be addressed. and I get that you don't see it that way. but that doesn't change my opinion, or my sense of social responsibility.

and by the way, I have no idea what "jfc" means. could you explain that, please? sweatdrop I'm terrible with acronyms.

I don't care what I should know by now. I care that someone who sent me a friend request should also accept that if I choose to agree to disagree then it should also be respected. I am not trying to CHANGE your opinion. Your opinion is fine because it's yours. Hence the circle jerking going on here! I was stating how I feel and you were stating how you feel. That should have been the end of it and yet you persist to gnaw at it like it's not enough for you that you are unable to change MY opinion.

If you want to pursue a discussion with me over why my brand of humor is so extremely offensive to you then you and I both know it won't go anywhere. It isn't going anywhere now. So clearly state what it is you're after in this conversation with me. What's your end goal besides "Mae MUST accept and agree with my stance on this" because that's the vibe I'm getting from this conversation. And it's certainly not appreciated even if it's unintentional.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight

So what?

I don't care what I should know by now. I care that someone who sent me a friend request should also accept that if I choose to agree to disagree then it should also be respected. I am not trying to CHANGE your opinion. Your opinion is fine because it's yours. Hence the circle jerking going on here! I was stating how I feel and you were stating how you feel. That should have been the end of it and yet you persist to gnaw at it like it's not enough for you that you are unable to change MY opinion.

If you want to pursue a discussion with me over why my brand of humor is so extremely offensive to you then you and I both know it won't go anywhere. It isn't going anywhere now. So clearly state what it is you're after in this conversation with me. What's your end goal besides "Mae MUST accept and agree with my stance on this" because that's the vibe I'm getting from this conversation. And it's certainly not appreciated even if it's unintentional.

just as you have no obligation to care about your impact on others (which frankly is a dubious thing to claim you have no obligation to do), I have no obligation to simply agree to disagree with you.

you want to not have a debate about this. I want to have a debate about this. to not talk about it is to do nothing about it. that goes completely against my belief that something needs to be done about it.

now, you don't have to agree with me. but I have every right to bring it up. if you don't want to engage in this debate, you don't have to. but I will talk about it with somebody, even if that person is not you. because this does need to be talked about.

Lavish Loiterer

Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight

So what?

just as you have no obligation to care about your impact on others (which frankly is a dubious thing to claim you have no obligation to do), I have no obligation to simply agree to disagree with you.

you want to not have a debate about this. I want to have a debate about this. to not talk about it is to do nothing about it. that goes completely against my belief that something needs to be done about it.

now, you don't have to agree with me. but I have every right to bring it up. if you don't want to engage in this debate, you don't have to. but I will talk about it with somebody, even if that person is not you. because this does need to be talked about.

You really don't let go, do you?

You'll continue even if it gets you ignored and constantly turned away because you reach beyond the point of annoyance into outright badgering. I don't know if I find that admirable or aggravating. Maybe a mix of both.

Find someone else to debate with then since neither of us are likely to change our stance in the matter.

Super Fairy

11,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Chieftain Twilight
Sopiyu
No one deserves to be raped., unless they are a rapist themselves. [emote removed]

But prostitutes are doing something risky and they need to know that s**t like that can happen. It's not right, but it happens.

I fixed it for you.

Even a prostitute agreed with me that there are risks to the job. And it's not right, but it happens. It's a fact. A serial rapist is a piece of s**t that I won't mind if they get raped.
Fixed.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Valtiel the Watcher
OP: Hey do all of you agree that terrible things are terrible

Everyone Else: Yes

Ok that was fun.
I think no one can argue that rape is bad, even when it happens to prostitutes.... In fact that might be even more sad. I mean how loaded does a question have to be?

Now if you want to ask as to what can be done about this? should prostitution be legalized so that prostitutes would be eligible for legal benefits or would that contribute to the overall problem of human trafficking etc etc etc...
itd be better to deal with cops than to have to go to a pimp when all hes gonna care about is gettin paid for it

Lonely Friend

I think a better question would be, based on a prostitute's social heirarchy and need for money would those power dynamics and circumstances mean that having sex act with a prostitute would be non consensual?

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight
Mae Lovelyn
Chieftain Twilight

So what?

You really don't let go, do you?

You'll continue even if it gets you ignored and constantly turned away because you reach beyond the point of annoyance into outright badgering. I don't know if I find that admirable or aggravating. Maybe a mix of both.

Find someone else to debate with then since neither of us are likely to change our stance in the matter.

that's right, I don't.

and as you wish.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas