Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Ladykiller

It's a stupid question and it has a simple answer.

A woman, regardless of her circumstances or profession is, in fact, a woman. She should be provided the same legal protection from rape, abuse, and murder as anyone else.

But it completely stumps me how over 80% of women in the prostitution industry have been raped and almost none of them go reported. For the most part, women are afraid of being arrested. But even the ones that do go to the police are laughed at, and are told they deserved it.

So does a prostitute deserve to be raped?

For reference, here are some startling statistics that demonstrate how serious a problem this really is:
* Prostitutes are raped, on the average, eight to ten times per year
* 78% of 55 women who sought help from the Council for Prostitution Alternatives in 1991 reported being raped an average of 16 times a year by pimps, and were raped 33 times a year by johns.
* women in prostitution have a mortality rate 40 times higher than the national average.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
That's sad. Of course a prostitute can be raped. Anyone can be raped.

What's a "John" ?

Timid Ladykiller

Rape is such a small piece of the pie, as well. These women carry around a lot of money and are taken into a rooms alone with strange men.
They're such easy targets for sick men.
This is a sensitive topic for me, since my sister has been a prostitute for over two years, and yesterday she was robbed, beaten, and almost murdered by a customer.
But she is afraid to go to the police because of her profession. I can't imagine being tortured, strangled, threatened with a gun for hours and not be able to do anything about it.

Timid Ladykiller

Shark Bacon

What's a "John" ?

A john is a term commonly used for the customers who pay for prostitutes.

Bunny

Yes, it's rape and some prostitutes are easy targets because you can simply offer money for their services, get them into a hotel/car/wherever and then end up raping them. They most likely won't go to the police because they are a prostitute and could end up arrested themselves. Then again, I don't know much about prostitution.

Timid Ladykiller

apathetic frost165
The serious part of me says yes. The funny part of me says no, you can only rob them

I might have agreed with you in the past, but from first hand experience it's much more than that. The man that nearly killed my sister yesterday stole over 3000 dollars from her but believe me when I say, that was the least of her worries. The money meant nothing, she was fighting for her life. He strangled her unconscious multiple times, and shoved a 9 mm in her mouth, continuously commenting on how bad he wanted to kill her. He tortured her physically and emotionally for hours before leaving the room.

So now, I would argue that you can't rob a prostitute, since the money is illegal anyway. But you can violate them, rape them, abuse them.

Timid Ladykiller

milkchai

Yes, it's rape and some prostitutes are easy targets because you can simply offer money for their services, get them into a hotel/car/wherever and then end up raping them. They most likely won't go to the police because they are a prostitute and could end up arrested themselves. Then again, I don't know much about prostitution.

Well, I'd say you're exactly right.
Perhaps they're just desensitized from anything sexual because they have sex so often. Surely they'll still be upset but I don't think they'd sustain as much trauma as somebody who isn't exposed to that much random sex.
What's up with all the irrelevant statistics to answer a simple question?

Can you rape a prostitute?
Yes.
Is it right? No.

EVERYONE GO NOW, THREAD IS OVER.

Timid Ladykiller

AmbientAirWays
Perhaps they're just desensitized from anything sexual because they have sex so often. Surely they'll still be upset but I don't think they'd sustain as much trauma as somebody who isn't exposed to that much random sex.

I think that's a good point, and I'm sure that it's a significant reason why many of these instances go unreported. Psychologically, these women are used to being violated-- which is why it makes sense that " 85% of prostitute/clients reported history of sexual abuse in childhood". For some, maybe it stems all the way back to their childhood.

Timid Ladykiller

Posties The Artificer
What's up with all the irrelevant statistics to answer a simple question?

Can you rape a prostitute?
Yes.
Is it right? No.

EVERYONE GO NOW, THREAD IS OVER.

I stated in the opening comment that this is a simple question, but I brought up these statistics because I'm suggesting that, although the problem is clearly immoral, it is still a prevalent and ignored problem.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
HeIIoKrissy
Shark Bacon

What's a "John" ?

A john is a term commonly used for the customers who pay for prostitutes.

Oh, neat. I was rather afraid to be googling prostitution xd

Invisible Humorist

apathetic frost165
The serious part of me says yes. The funny part of me says no, you can only rob them

from GTA, i learned that you can kill them too!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff