Welcome to Gaia! ::

HeIIoKrissy
Posties The Artificer
What's up with all the irrelevant statistics to answer a simple question?

Can you rape a prostitute?
Yes.
Is it right? No.

EVERYONE GO NOW, THREAD IS OVER.

I stated in the opening comment that this is a simple question, but I brought up these statistics because I'm suggesting that, although the problem is clearly immoral, it is still a prevalent and ignored problem.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I didn't ignore any of it. They're just implications of the answer to the question, that I answered.

Bashful Businesswoman

HeIIoKrissy

So does a prostitute deserve to be raped?

emotion_eyebrow emotion_eyebrow emotion_eyebrow emotion_eyebrow
Was that really a question that needed to be asked.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
HeIIoKrissy
It's a stupid question and it has a simple answer.

A woman, regardless of her circumstances or profession is, in fact, a woman. She should be provided the same legal protection from rape, abuse, and murder as anyone else.

But it completely stumps me how over 80% of women in the prostitution industry have been raped and almost none of them go reported. For the most part, women are afraid of being arrested. But even the ones that do go to the police are laughed at, and are told they deserved it.

So does a prostitute deserve to be raped?

For reference, here are some startling statistics that demonstrate how serious a problem this really is:
* Prostitutes are raped, on the average, eight to ten times per year
* 78% of 55 women who sought help from the Council for Prostitution Alternatives in 1991 reported being raped an average of 16 times a year by pimps, and were raped 33 times a year by johns.
* women in prostitution have a mortality rate 40 times higher than the national average.

It's because a hooker doesn't want to get in trouble and out of the job for being a hooker by going to the cops, another reason why prostitution should be legal and regulated. No, no one ever deserves to be raped, well maybe unless you actually committed a violent sex crime against someone else.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
AmbientAirWays
Perhaps they're just desensitized from anything sexual because they have sex so often. Surely they'll still be upset but I don't think they'd sustain as much trauma as somebody who isn't exposed to that much random sex.

No, just no. It wouldn't be being desensitized from the random sex, but from being forced as a sex slave within the industry by a pimp. Whether you're having a bunch of casual sex for your own pleasure as a "slut", having consensual sex for cash by your own will as a prostitute or only have sex with someone you love, rape is just as traumatizing, humiliating, depowering, violent and harmful. Though as a prostitute, you have to mentally prepare yourself of the high risk of sexual assault every time you go do your job.
Of course they can be raped, and it's sad that we live in a world where people think otherwise.

I read a great comic about how sex workers essentially reverse the power dynamic we're used to. Strippers, for instance, commodity sex but suddenly they have the power because if you want a lap dance of face titties you have to pay. And there's this weird disconnect that this action is for anything other than money, and that some men don't really know how to interact when the power dynamic is reversed. The comic covers it way better than I just did, it's a good read.
Of course. Rape is rape.

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
don't be cheap.

Lavish Loiterer

.....I thought this was going to lead into the shoplifting joke...

but all jokes aside, I don't think anyone deserves to be raped.
Easy...don't be a prostitute in an unregulated area. The problem with prostitution in the US is that a lot of them are forced into it. If you are willingly a prostitute in the US, I really don't have much sympathy.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
well yea
a prostitute gets raped she aint gonna tell the cops is she
you go to the cops your pimps gonna be on your a** an hes gonna leave scars
you go tell HIM and HE sorts it out

course he sees it like stealin yknow hes gone out to get his pay but still
prostitutes dont have lotta options

hell the ones whos allowed to be outside and choose they customers is the lucky ones
lot of em just get locked in a room and gotta open up to whoever comes in
Silly Annie
well yea

hell the ones whos allowed to be outside and choose they customers is the lucky ones

Amazingly, a lot of women choose to prostitute in the US. emotion_facepalm

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Chicken Zombie
Silly Annie
well yea

Amazingly, a lot of women choose to prostitute in the US. emotion_facepalm

well yea
lot of em like it
dont mean they dont get locked into it

you can choose to join a criminal gang
but you leave it you gonna get shot at right

everyone makes stupid decisions
an they pay for it with their a** or their lives or whatever

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image

I hope this is a troll topic, I really do.

User Image

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
apathetic frost165
The serious part of me says yes. The funny part of me says no, you can only rob them

it's not funny. nothing about that is funny.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Lilith_Lilium
AmbientAirWays
Perhaps they're just desensitized from anything sexual because they have sex so often. Surely they'll still be upset but I don't think they'd sustain as much trauma as somebody who isn't exposed to that much random sex.

No, just no. It wouldn't be being desensitized from the random sex, but from being forced as a sex slave within the industry by a pimp. Whether you're having a bunch of casual sex for your own pleasure as a "slut", having consensual sex for cash by your own will as a prostitute or only have sex with someone you love, rape is just as traumatizing, humiliating, depowering, violent and harmful. Though as a prostitute, you have to mentally prepare yourself of the high risk of sexual assault every time you go do your job.

also, the thing about rape that makes it traumatizing is that it's about power, and the removal of a person's agency. not sex. sex isn't traumatizing. rape is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff