• Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Pink Plaid
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid
Ontario, Canada > rest of the world

Ah, and here we thought you were against arrogance.~
What are you talking about? I'm just stating facts.

Even if those are facts, this is not the point of this topic. The question wasn't if Ontario or Canada were better than US, so don't try to be rude at the expense of this topic.

Even though I believe I agree with you, I can't help but feel you live there. Typical home patriotism. My place is pretty bad and I'm not afraid to admit it.

8,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
Pink Plaid
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid

There's a difference between facts and opinions. You are stating your opinion. Opinions vary and so therefore they are not facts. Facts are objective. Opinions are subjective.

Example of a fact: Canada is a country that is geographically above the United States of America.

Example of an Opinion: Canada is the best place in the world.

Can you tell the difference or do you need special help?

Clean Raider

Nurse Kipsie
Florida!

We're not all insane. It's just the media saying that to make California look good.
*eye twitch and drools from mouth*
We're totally sane!
Your argument is very convincing.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Wow. This is way better than when I posted polls like this in the chatterbox. (In my defense, I couldn't post a whole tournament on LD)

When I posted there, it was just people voting for California, Florida, and New York because of the name. Now I don't anything against those states at all, and I think it would be awesome to live in most of the parts of them, but I hate it when people vote for California because of the name and because they think it's utopia there just because of Hollywood, without realizing that you probably can't even buy a house there with your money.

And now over here, the poll is pretty even, with more posts than votes (unlike CB, where I had a 40 vote thread with 3 posts explaining their vote once) and I appreciate that, that's why I posted this final poll in LD.
Not Georgia.

Adorable Fisher

Don't move to the rural parts of New York state. Its hickville USA and no better than rural parts of Southern states in terms of open-mindedness. Also, don't count on getting a job in rural New York unless you know somebody and medical care? Can you say crap? The taxes are also some of the highest in the country for absolutely no reason, causing many retirees to have to give up their houses due to decreased income on retirement even when they own their homes. Its so beautiful, but goddamn. This is especially true around the Catskills. I think the only reason to live in New York (and this could be contested, everybody's got their own opinion call me bitter) is New York City if you like it and perhaps Buffalo. Many of the people living in Albany are ex-New Yorkers (meaning New York City) and love living in Albany because its not New York City and the rest of the population are immigrants (its true), but Albany is a sucky place. Troy is a good place to live if you want to get stabbed. The Catskills is also a great place to live if you want to get speared by hitting a deer with your car at night (this almost happened to me so many times, no joke). The Catskills are notoriously haunted due to being one of the first settlements in the U.S, so everybody has a good ghost story. The towns are small with not much commercialization and it takes you like thirty minutes to get anywhere and two hours to get to the nearest city in any direction.

Honestly, Rhode Island is a great place to live. Its so beautiful and surrounded by ocean (on two sides). There's many places to visit like Bristol and Newport and so many lovely museums. There's Waterplace Park in the heart of Providence, which is a lovely park that surrounds the river running through the city (in Summer there's Water Fire where they light wood catchers along the river and let you go out in gondolas to explore and there's food and fire dancers, etc and there's music performances in the park during the day). There's a giant mall right next to that park, and near the mall there is an open air ice skating rink. There's Roger Williams' Park and Zoo with a giant botanical garden and butterfly preserve. I can't express to you how gorgeous Roger Williams Park is. There's historical mansions on the East side of Providence, with placards telling you about famous people who used to live there. Thayer street is a bustling street full of trendy cafes and there's a wonderful historic movie theater called the Avon on it that shows independent and foreign films. Naragansett Beach is beautiful and iconic. In the fall, you can go to the many farms and orchards in Rhode Island and go apple picking that will become a must do activity for your future family every year. Rhode Island boasts the most pretty leaf colors during the fall with so many species of trees and foliage, so beautiful that its become a running joke for Rhode Islanders about New Yorkers coming over to go "leaf peeping" in our beautiful state. Rhode Island has a high population of Italians, so our Italian restaurants and bakeries are to die for and authentic. Rhode Island, especially Providence on the East side, has an eccentric and unique art scene. Unfortunately, Rhode Island has had one of the worst problems with unemployment, but if you have a specific degree then you might be in luck. The last time I lived there, which was 2008, unemployment was among the highest in the country if not the highest in the country at on the high side of 14%. Of course, that was during the recent recession so things are definitely better. Just secure your job before moving there. Benefits include some of the best healthcare providers, hospitals (including one of the best children's hospitals), and mid-line housing costs. The average three bedroom house in a college neighborhood (meaning a good neighborhood) is $180,000. Speaking of colleges, Providence is very much a leafy college city with Brown University, RISD, and others in the city center. This means there are many events to attend if you're into it and many fun clubs to go to with events like bubble and laser parties. Providence is also convenient to Boston and New York City, which are both a relatively short train ride away. The weather is pretty mild in the summer except for a couple of weeks in the height of summer but the Winters are oh my god. There can be so much snow or little snow but its breakingly cold from about November to April. However, the beautiful and mild Autumn in Rhode Island makes up for this in my opinion, with clear crisp air, clear light blue skies, and rustly orange, gold, deep red, and even pink leaves. There are also so many woods to hike if you're into that. Crime rates are eh. There's crime just like any other place, so like, definitely lock your door and you might want to put your car in your locked garage. College students can be vandals, so you might get your car keyed (a long thin scratch line on your car's paint job the length of your car) if you live in a college neighborhood or your fence kicked in. Rhode Island is very Democrat. People are so friendly. If you're in an elevator you will be talked to with a big friendly smile. People talk to you on buses (not always welcome). If you frequent a non-chain restaurant you will quickly become family and they'll memorize your order. I'd say the only downside to Rhode Island is some of the accents, like the Cranston accent that sounds like the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. My biggest motivation for not moving back to Rhode Island is the idea of having to suffer through another Cardi's Furntiture Store commercial for that reason. Since Rhode Island is so small, there is a great sense of community like we're all living in one big city but its a state. Everything is so close by, like you could go to for a day trip to Newport or go see the Air Show (a once a year event) near Bristol, too, regardless of where you live in the state.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid

There's a difference between facts and opinions. You are stating your opinion. Opinions vary and so therefore they are not facts. Facts are objective. Opinions are subjective.

Example of a fact: Canada is a country that is geographically above the United States of America.

Example of an Opinion: Canada is the best place in the world.

Can you tell the difference or do you need special help?

Eh, I believe it can be a fact. You don't have to ask a man if he liked freezing his balls, melting his balls, or overpaying his balls, and that's why sites like Gallup make those lists.
It really depends on the type of living you're interested in.

I was born in DC and lived in MD all my life. I stayed temporarily in Illinois temporarily for college and also lived in PA for 4 months while doing a summer job in photography.

Of all the places I have been, Illinois and PA are probably my favorite, I like living a life of solititude and greatly value my time and space. PA (Bethlehem in particular) was largely rural and my closest neighbor was a half mile away. There were no nice shopping outlets (not that i cared much), but there were two beautiful German Shepherds that loved following me for my morning jog.

Illinois (particularly Chicago suburbs) is best described as the idyllic American neighborhood. The people there can be warm and friendly and many stores are walking or biking distance from the neighborhoods. But for whatever reason, I can't shake off the feeling that there is always something sinister lying underneath the surface. But that's probably because Carrie and Halloween all take place in Illinois lol.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
MarigoldMari
Don't move to the rural parts of New York state. Its hickville USA and no better than rural parts of Southern states in terms of open-mindedness. Also, don't count on getting a job in rural New York unless you know somebody and medical care? Can you say crap? The taxes are also some of the highest in the country for absolutely no reason, causing many retirees to have to give up their houses due to decreased income on retirement even when they own their homes. Its so beautiful, but goddamn. This is especially true around the Catskills. I think the only reason to live in New York (and this could be contested, everybody's got their own opinion call me bitter) is New York City if you like it and perhaps Buffalo. Many of the people living in Albany are ex-New Yorkers (meaning New York City) and love living in Albany because its not New York City and the rest of the population are immigrants (its true), but Albany is a sucky place. Troy is a good place to live if you want to get stabbed. The Catskills is also a great place to live if you want to get speared by hitting a deer with your car at night (this almost happened to me so many times, no joke). The Catskills are notoriously haunted due to being one of the first settlements in the U.S, so everybody has a good ghost story. The towns are small with not much commercialization and it takes you like thirty minutes to get anywhere and two hours to get to the nearest city in any direction.

Honestly, Rhode Island is a great place to live. Its so beautiful and surrounded by ocean (on two sides). There's many places to visit like Bristol and Newport and so many lovely museums. There's Waterplace Park in the heart of Providence, which is a lovely park that surrounds the river running through the city (in Summer there's Water Fire where they light wood catchers along the river and let you go out in gondolas to explore and there's food and fire dancers, etc and there's music performances in the park during the day). There's a giant mall right next to that park, and near the mall there is an open air ice skating rink. There's Roger Williams' Park and Zoo with a giant botanical garden and butterfly preserve. I can't express to you how gorgeous Roger Williams Park is. There's historical mansions on the East side of Providence, with placards telling you about famous people who used to live there. Thayer street is a bustling street full of trendy cafes and there's a wonderful historic movie theater called the Avon on it that shows independent and foreign films. Naragansett Beach is beautiful and iconic. In the fall, you can go to the many farms and orchards in Rhode Island and go apple picking that will become a must do activity for your future family every year. Rhode Island boasts the most pretty leaf colors during the fall with so many species of trees and foliage, so beautiful that its become a running joke for Rhode Islanders about New Yorkers coming over to go "leaf peeping" in our beautiful state. Rhode Island has a high population of Italians, so our Italian restaurants and bakeries are to die for and authentic. Rhode Island, especially Providence on the East side, has an eccentric and unique art scene. Unfortunately, Rhode Island has had one of the worst problems with unemployment, but if you have a specific degree then you might be in luck. The last time I lived there, which was 2008, unemployment was among the highest in the country if not the highest in the country at on the high side of 14%. Of course, that was during the recent recession so things are definitely better. Just secure your job before moving there. Benefits include some of the best healthcare providers, hospitals (including one of the best children's hospitals), and mid-line housing costs. The average three bedroom house in a college neighborhood (meaning a good neighborhood) is $180,000. Speaking of colleges, Providence is very much a leafy college city with Brown University, RISD, and others in the city center. This means there are many events to attend if you're into it and many fun clubs to go to with events like bubble and laser parties. Providence is also convenient to Boston and New York City, which are both a relatively short train ride away. The weather is pretty mild in the summer except for a couple of weeks in the height of summer but the Winters are oh my god. There can be so much snow or little snow but its breakingly cold from about November to April. However, the beautiful and mild Autumn in Rhode Island makes up for this in my opinion, with clear crisp air, clear light blue skies, and rustly orange, gold, deep red, and even pink leaves. There are also so many woods to hike if you're into that. Crime rates are eh. There's crime just like any other place, so like, definitely lock your door and you might want to put your car in your locked garage. College students can be vandals, so you might get your car keyed (a long thin scratch line on your car's paint job the length of your car) if you live in a college neighborhood or your fence kicked in. Rhode Island is very Democrat. People are so friendly. If you're in an elevator you will be talked to with a big friendly smile. People talk to you on buses (not always welcome). If you frequent a non-chain restaurant you will quickly become family and they'll memorize your order. I'd say the only downside to Rhode Island is some of the accents, like the Cranston accent that sounds like the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. My biggest motivation for not moving back to Rhode Island is the idea of having to suffer through another Cardi's Furntiture Store commercial for that reason. Since Rhode Island is so small, there is a great sense of community like we're all living in one big city but its a state. Everything is so close by, like you could go to for a day trip to Newport or go see the Air Show (a once a year event) near Bristol, too, regardless of where you live in the state.

Pro tip: Your post looks like a mess. In order to bring your point across more successfully, I suggest separating the text into about 4-5 paragraphs at some point in order to prevent tl;dr. Making some more important sentences bold or changing the text size somewhere wouldn't hurt either.

Adorable Fisher

Adyman182

Pro tip: Your post looks like a mess. In order to bring your point across more successfully, I suggest separating the text into about 4-5 paragraphs at some point in order to prevent tl;dr. Making some more important sentences bold or changing the text size somewhere wouldn't hurt either.
I didn't take time out of my day to post stuff about the U.S for you in order to get a condescending critique, you a**.

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
Adyman182
Pink Plaid
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid

Even if those are facts, this is not the point of this topic. The question wasn't if Ontario or Canada were better than US, so don't try to be rude at the expense of this topic.

Even though I believe I agree with you, I can't help but feel you live there. Typical home patriotism. My place is pretty bad and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Buddy, don't ******** tell me what to do. I do what I want. talk2hand

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
MarigoldMari
Adyman182

I didn't take time out of my day to post stuff about the U.S for you in order to get a condescending critique, you a**.

Wow! I was just posting a pro tip. It's not critique....you a**. rofl Thank you for your opinion and facts but I think that goes without saying, I don't need to thank every post here. It's an argument. You contributed to an argument and people can disagree with you, dislike you and even insult you. I didn't do any of those three in my post. I'm not sure what you expected on the forum here, though. neutral
MarigoldMari
Adyman182

Dude, your post is like ******** unreadable. The only reason why he cared to even mention it was because he doesn't want the effort you put into writing it to be for nothing because people will TL;DR.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Pink Plaid
Adyman182
Pink Plaid
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid

Buddy, don't ******** tell me what to do. I do what I want. talk2hand

I'm not telling you do what you want, but don't go around saying your opinion and stating that it is a fact, unless you can prove it. And don't post stuff off topic. If you think you can do what you want here, there are some rules here that you need to read. Maybe posting an off-topic post isn't breaking any rules, but why do you have to be an a*****e to anyone that responded, and is taking the thread seriously? Are you joking? Because I definitively see some trolling here. And I'm not your buddy, friend. stare

Enduring Phantom

Ohio is the best. Everything is normal, people have no accent, and if some world ending s**t were to go down I'm pretty sure we're the last place that would be hit. No oceans, no underground volcanoes, no fault lines, no murderous haunted hotels or houses featured in books/movies, nothing.

Plus the prices of houses/cars/bills/etc. are decent, the people keep to themselves, and everything is just kind of nice if you don't mind the wild card that is the weather. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff