Utah 0.0084745762711864 0.8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 118 ]
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 >

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
I love the US and always wanted to move there, and I wonder where would I and where should I choose to live if I had the choice to choose where I'd move in within US, so here's something I did because I'm just that much a USA enthusiast, and that much of a stat nerd. Poll choices explained below.

Please read: Before voting, make sure beauty isn't the only thing taken into consideration, you need to make sure you can afford it, and if you can adjust to the weather, taxes, and other factors that come into play, which means that it isn't about tourism, but rather living, so I would ask people that never lived in US not to vote. Vote only if you're knowledgeable enough about the topic. I hope you understood me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(The 6 states in the poll are there for a reason, as voted by Gaia community last year by doing some multiple polls featuring all states across the forums.

(Numbers represent the number of votes advantage before this poll)

California 6
Colorado 4
Florida 8
Minnesota* 0
New Hampshire* 0
New York 4
Tennessee 4
Utah* 0
Vermont* 1
Washington 0

Those votes don't count now, as I want some new votes and them to count only. So I do want one poll to decide the definitive best state to live in as voted by Gaia community.

*additionally featured, explained below

4 states added because of the constant top rankings in official magazine/website polls, surveys, and analysis (redemption FTW):

Utah
Minnesota
Vermont
New Hampshire
)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some factors I usually count on when determining the best place:

1. Income
2. Taxes
3, Weather
4. (Un) employment rate
5. Housing prices
6. Popularity of the place, largest cities
7. Crime rates
8. Culture
9. Lakes, rivers and seas (oceans)
10. People
11. Politics (Republican, Democratic)
12. Nature and landscape

Make sure you know at least something distinctive about every state listed, and pretty much every state in general, before voting.

You don't have to choose only the states from the poll, you can post any US State that you think is the best in the comments.

Explaining your vote is really appreciated.

Vote and post, 'muricans wink

S m u s h a's Husband

Proxy Fatcat

Pennsylvania

Aged Girl

Florida!

We're not all insane. It's just the media saying that to make California look good.
*eye twitch and drools from mouth*
We're totally sane!

Timid Lunatic

User Image

Massachusetts.

User Image

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
Ontario, Canada > rest of the world

8,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
NORTH CAROLINA heart

8,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
Pink Plaid

Ah, and here we thought you were against arrogance.~

Partying Prophet

Voted Washingon.

1. Income
Washington state has the highest minimum wage in the country, with more tech jobs than a lot of places it's pretty easy to get on your feet here. Amazon, Google, Nintendo, Microsoft, Boeing and a metric ******** ton of start ups.

2. Taxes
Property taxes in King Country are not that great, but Snohomish's are a lot better and it doesn't really matter if you don't own property. Sales tax is pretty high, 10% now I think? But overall miiiiiles better than anywhere in Cali.

3, Weather
The weather in western Washington where Seattle is is awful. The temperature never really gets too bad, but be prepared for constant grey skies and drizzle. I have definitely gotten seasonal depression living here. Eastern Washington is a bit more crazy. Crazy cold in the winter, crazy hot in the summer. Very extreme over there.

4. (Un) employment rate
Washing State is sitting at 6.1% and the Seattle area is sitting at 4.0%

5. Housing prices
On the rise currently, my boyfriend bought his 3 bedroom house for about 150k

6. Popularity of the place, largest cities
Bellevue was voted the 13th best place to live in the country, though it can be pretty expensive there you can live in Redmond or Kirkland and still have easy access to that city and it's all only 15 mins away from Seattle. I live in Edmonds up north, which is much cheaper.

7. Crime rates
Of course the safest places are the small towns, but Kenmore, Mountlake Terrace and lake Forrest park are relatively safe without sacrificing city access or price. If you're rich try mercer Island or Medina.

8. Culture
The Gorge is a seriously MINDBLOWING venue. With events like Freaknight, Paradiso, Hempfest, Folklife, Bumbershoot, Capitol hill Block party, Pride, there's a lot going on

9. Lakes, rivers and seas (oceans)
No sandy beaches unless you want to live in the boonies. The Puget Sound is rocky and cold, but gorgeous for kayaking etc. There's Greenlake in north Seattle, Skagit River, Snohomish River...with a rainforest on the peninsula there is no shortage of water here.

10. People
I love the people here but if you're the type of person who likes to make small talk with strangers, look elsewhere. The Seattle freeze is real and people like to keep to themselves unless they have an obvious thing in common or are participating in something together first. People here can be known for being passive aggressive, but as a bonus they will almost never be actually aggressive. You don't need to worry about getting a brick through your window like in some east coast cities. People here are open minded and in the Seattle area, wont really yell at you just for looking weird. very live and let live

11. Politics (Republican, Democratic)
Heavily liberal in western washington, more conservative in eastern washington. You've probably heard the news of weed legalization, and people here reflect that point of view. Seattle was recently voted as the most safe and friendly city to LGBT people.

12. Nature and landscape
Coniferous trees, moss, greenery somewhere all the time. Even in really populated areas there are trees everywhere. There's the Hoh rainforest on the peninsula which you should definitely Google. It's not hard to find a place to live near a little trail that runs by some creek or river, or out to a lake or the sounds. Really just a gorgeous as ******** place to live.

Tipsy Fatcat

Chatty Millionaire

6,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
save yourself the headache and disappointment and do not move to america... at least not the USA

Hellraiser

Cookz Monster
canada

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
ComplainingKittens
Pink Plaid

Ah, and here we thought you were against arrogance.~
What are you talking about? I'm just stating facts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff