< 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 2237 2238 2239 > >> >>> »|

Lonely Soldier

17,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Schizophrenic Duckling
KooHoo-P

Ms. Lindsey Stirling. Johann Sebastian Bach. Franz Joseph Haydn. Just a few of many. But enough of me, how about you?

I honestly don't know any modern day composers other than those who have done soundtracks to video games, movies, or anime that I enjoyed.

Composers such as Yuki Kajiura, Koh Otani, Hans Zimmer, Joseph McNeely, Nobou Uematsu (etc.)

But the classical composers I enjoy would be Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Gounod, Debussy, Chopin, and Rachmaninioff.

Sorry for saying soo many, I just didn't want to leave any out.

So I looked back at your application, and under music you wrote, "When classical instruments is used in modern day music." Do you have any examples of that?

Fairy

Obsessive Bibliophile

KooHoo-P
WOW! I am definitely going to have fun with you. (sorry if that sounded rather crude, I'm just excited because I see alot of potential in our future discussions.)
I wish you the best of luck at your job interview. I'm actually looking for a new job, and I'm kinda looking at the situation in the same way you are. I've worked 4 different jobs in the last 5 years, and with that much experience, a high school diploma, and some college hours, I think I can apply for a job that isn't open to just anybody. I'm not sure where to start though, I don't want to get locked into it and turn it into a career, because I'm currently majoring in physics and I still have endeavors to have a career in said field. But I also would like something that challenges me intellectually and pays at least $9/h.

I agree that it's hard to find intellectual discussions on Gaia, but this site's target demographic isn't the most elegant of populations. No offense to anybody, but with the right connections and the effort put into searching, it's almost inevitable that you'll find like-minded people to chat with.

And yes, I've heard of the Occupy Wallstreet movements, my Dad is semi-involved in them. He gave a speech at a local rally in Richland, WA. But he's back home with me in Omaha, NE. So I think he cut his ties with them. Personally, I don't get into politics. I don't mean to seem ignorant about it, but I'm simply apathetic towards that subject. I know I should pay attention since it's going to affect me as I get older, but I'm much more interesting in focusing on subjects such as science and philosophy. I'll be happy to hear your thoughts about the Occupy movements, it will most likely give me perspective.
Haha, I definitely didn't think the remark crude, although dirty jokes are hilarious. dramallama Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I got distracted by the internetz. Thanks for the luck, same goes to you. I definitely understand not wanting to make a job into a career -- I just need money, yo, not a life direction.

Honestly, I'm so burnt out on academics. That's why I'm pursuing office/administrative work currently, as opposed to diving immediately into finding a teaching position. I want a job where I don't have homework for a while. >_<

Eh, it isn't like-minded people I want to find; if anything, it's the opportunity for lively discussion, which could be fostered by opposing opinions, that I prefer to engage in. Also, literacy; I have to be able to read what you're saying. I do find lots of people to talk to, but oftentimes I'm not interested in the topic or there are too many voices already.

I suspect that you don't need to be present to have cut your ties with a movement. A big problem with Occupy right now is lack of direction coupled with a panicked government. The government [whether at local, state, or federal levels] seems to be freaking out that people are calling upon the right to assembly. At the same time, there are many people who should be supporting the movement -- as it's about preventing corporations from being regulated like people, and about the redistribution of wealth so that the common people have a chance of a better life -- who refuse to do so, out of fear of the propaganda and hyperbole being spread by the media.

I am in support of Occupy, because I fear what the United States will become if we don't make our voices heard. You and I are in our 20s; in fifteen years' time, our generation will be rising to true political power, but we have NO DIRECTION as of yet. "War is bad, and the country is in shambles" seems to be a popular opinion, but no one really knows what to do about it. So some people got together to try and physically show their dislike of the status quo, and now kids are getting maced and ridiculed for doing so.

If I didn't need to work, I would be at an Occupy site -- but then again, if I didn't need to work, I would probably be part of that 1% of people who are receiving the majority of the money. There are trust fund babies who are involved with Occupy, but bigwigs almost universally claim this is a "phase" for those kids.

Bottom line: I'm not exactly sure if I support Occupy as it stands right now, but I agree with the underlying principles. I want and need more information, but elections are coming up fast, and I fully intend on exercising my right to vote.

cylleona's Partner

Interstellar Abomination

KooHoo-P

Hello, I saw that you never finished Madoka Magica due to the earthquake, but it only post-poned the last 2 episodes, you really have to finish it. It's my most favorite anime of all time.

oh hmm, maybe I will sometime. I think I'm just lazy when it comes to watching things, especially when I've stopped for a while.

cylleona's Partner

Interstellar Abomination

Love-Lost Elegy
KooHoo-P

I think being a teacher would be awesome. I've actually given thought to becoming a physics professor as a career choice. It'd be great to help construct the minds of the youth.

That's an interesting reason as to your online shyness. I always figured chatting online would remove the stress of public confrontation. I'm glad you've been able to overcome some of your shyness. There's nothing "wrong" with it though, alot of people think it's cute. And if you're shy, it shows lack of aggression, so some people are actually more likely to want to be your friend. But completely overcoming your shyness will also open new social opportunities, so either way I'm sure people will like you for who you are. mrgreen

I can see people in public. While I can't read minds... ~_~... I still can see the one I'm talking to and be a little more confident in where my words fall.

sometimes I get a weird kind of internet social anxiety, but for a different reason. it's because when you write something online you can't take back what you said, because everyone can see it. I feel like I'd be opening myself up for lots of judging every time I post something.

8,225 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Consumer 100
Reinik

sometimes I get a weird kind of internet social anxiety, but for a different reason. it's because when you write something online you can't take back what you said, because everyone can see it. I feel like I'd be opening myself up for lots of judging every time I post something.

I can understand that.

Obsessive Bibliophile

[pokes thread] So lonely. :C

Lonely Soldier

17,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Lily DArouet

I'm sorry I never wrote a direct reply to your last post. I just didn't know what to say sweatdrop . You're clearly more passionate about the situation and more educated on it than I am. And I just don't really have anything to contribute to that field of a discussion. I'm very sorry, but is there anything else you would like to discuss at the moment? I'll try to get more involved in the Occupy movements, and if not that, then I'll at least try to educate myself more and at least create of foundation of a perspective in that matter.

Original Wolf

I feel like posting this application is very late, but here goes...

APPLICATION:
1. What're you questing for? Right now, the animated item "Sweet Charming Blush" almost there too ^-^
2. Why did you join Gaia? My friend told me about it, so I checked it out. I got hooked very quickly.
3. How long have you been a part of Gaia? Technically, almost 5 years.
4. Did you ever quit? Yes, and I can't go back.
5. Why do you still go on Gaia today? I've drawn closer to the friends I've made. Also, it's kinda fun.
6. What kind of music do you like? Alternative, Classical, Rock, and a litte bit of pop every so often.
7. What kind of anime do you like? I don't really watch much anime... My apologies...
8. Are you in High school, college, or graduate? High school.
9. What instrument do I play? The violin, and the piano.
10. What is my Xbox LIVE Gamertag? I don't have one >.>"
11. What year did I join Gaia on my original account? 2007.

Obsessive Bibliophile

KooHoo-P
Lily DArouet

I'm sorry I never wrote a direct reply to your last post. I just didn't know what to say sweatdrop . You're clearly more passionate about the situation and more educated on it than I am. And I just don't really have anything to contribute to that field of a discussion. I'm very sorry, but is there anything else you would like to discuss at the moment? I'll try to get more involved in the Occupy movements, and if not that, then I'll at least try to educate myself more and at least create of foundation of a perspective in that matter.
It's really okay. smile I wondered if maybe I had somehow polarized myself too much, and you were no longer interested in chatting. >_> Glad to see that isn't the case. And I'll be honest, a lot of what I said was learned while browsing Reddit. In terms of politics and such, that is -- I'm really not very political, just sort of... opinionated, I guess. And honestly, you don't have to get involved -- but it is something that I think people of our age should at least be aware of, so educating yourself on the movement is a great step.

I would be happy to discuss anything, really. ^_^ I gave you a bit of a rant, so how about you give me one in return? You mentioned in your OP that you're pretty passionately opinionated about your favorite anime, would you like to discuss that? Here, I'll throw out a starter question: Do you try to watch it in the original language?

Lonely Soldier

17,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Lily DArouet
KooHoo-P
Lily DArouet

It's really okay. smile I wondered if maybe I had somehow polarized myself too much, and you were no longer interested in chatting. >_> Glad to see that isn't the case. And I'll be honest, a lot of what I said was learned while browsing Reddit. In terms of politics and such, that is -- I'm really not very political, just sort of... opinionated, I guess. And honestly, you don't have to get involved -- but it is something that I think people of our age should at least be aware of, so educating yourself on the movement is a great step.

I would be happy to discuss anything, really. ^_^ I gave you a bit of a rant, so how about you give me one in return? You mentioned in your OP that you're pretty passionately opinionated about your favorite anime, would you like to discuss that? Here, I'll throw out a starter question: Do you try to watch it in the original language?

Thank you for being understanding and working with me on a discussion. mrgreen I completely agree that as adults or teens becoming adults, we should have a personal foundation on which we form our political positions.

Why yes, I do watch animes in their original language with subtitles. Honestly though, I've only watched a few animes, and only enjoyed 3 of them. I try to find an anime with a deep plot, minimal comedy, and lots of drama. Or an anime with alot of culture to it such as Cowboy Bebop. Otherwise I've only enjoyed FMA: Brotherhood and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. The latter of which is almost mindblowing to me in how much philosophical and cultural references were made. The show did an amazing job in making parallels to Goethe's writing, mainly "Faust".

Have you watched any of those animes? If not, what do you look for in anime?

Obsessive Bibliophile

KooHoo-P
Thank you for being understanding and working with me on a discussion. mrgreen I completely agree that as adults or teens becoming adults, we should have a personal foundation on which we form our political positions.

Why yes, I do watch animes in their original language with subtitles. Honestly though, I've only watched a few animes, and only enjoyed 3 of them. I try to find an anime with a deep plot, minimal comedy, and lots of drama. Or an anime with alot of culture to it such as Cowboy Bebop. Otherwise I've only enjoyed FMA: Brotherhood and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. The latter of which is almost mindblowing to me in how much philosophical and cultural references were made. The show did an amazing job in making parallels to Goethe's writing, mainly "Faust".

No problem. ^_^ I'm glad you understood where I was coming from. whee

Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist are both really great. I don't think I've seen Brotherhood [I'm assuming that's a particular set of episodes/series or something], but Roy Mustang... oh man, he's so cool. Same with Spike. The latter anime you mentioned sounds really cool -- I love Marlowe's version of Faustus, so watching something that refers to Goethe would be interesting.

I do enjoy some comedic aspects to anime. My favorite so far is InuYasha -- you can watch it on Hulu for free if you haven't seen it yet. Something about his ears... emotion_bigheart But seriously, I like how the monk is a lech, and the in-jokes [like "SIT, BOY" in the English translation, can't think of the Japanese phrasing] are pretty great. Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon are nostalgic for me, but they aren't my absolute favorites. Where or how do you watch your anime?

Genius

I'm also anti-social and over critical of others! cat_3nodding

Genius

Has anyone watched Death Note? It blew my mind...

Lonely Soldier

17,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Lily DArouet
KooHoo-P

No problem. ^_^ I'm glad you understood where I was coming from. whee

Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist are both really great. I don't think I've seen Brotherhood [I'm assuming that's a particular set of episodes/series or something], but Roy Mustang... oh man, he's so cool. Same with Spike. The latter anime you mentioned sounds really cool -- I love Marlowe's version of Faustus, so watching something that refers to Goethe would be interesting.

I do enjoy some comedic aspects to anime. My favorite so far is InuYasha -- you can watch it on Hulu for free if you haven't seen it yet. Something about his ears... emotion_bigheart But seriously, I like how the monk is a lech, and the in-jokes [like "SIT, BOY" in the English translation, can't think of the Japanese phrasing] are pretty great. Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon are nostalgic for me, but they aren't my absolute favorites. Where or how do you watch your anime?

Brotherhood is basically a re-make of the entire series, but it tries to mirror the manga. I think it was perfect, and makes the 2003 series look like crap. It had a much higher animation budget, and the plot twists, drama, music and action were astonishing. I recommend you check it out.

I have only ever really studied Goethe's version of Faust, I'm looking for an english transcription of his version. Is Marlowe's version the only version you know of?

I used to watch Inuyasha in high school, but now I can barely stand it, I'm sorry to say. The show just dragged on for soo long, and it always seemed to derail itself from the main plot. Maybe I'm just biased because I was annoyed by that particular fan-base. I had a few friends who were die-hard for that show and they were very obnoxious and ignorant. (I apologize if that sounds too judgmental.) Actually, for a comedy anime I did enjoy "Slayers"

And I ******** LOVE Hayao Miyazaki movies (Princess Mononoke), as well as Shinkai Makoto movies. (5cm per second)

I will pretty much only Torrent anime now, it guarantees me the best quality, and I can keep it for myself.

Have you heard of Miyazaki or Makoto?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces