Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Enabler

Spontaneous Apple power brick failure. Awesome.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
nouveau sereph
Spontaneous Apple power brick failure. Awesome.

April Fools Day from Apple xp
nouveau sereph
[...]control them so they don't proliferate needlessly - there's no reason why a private citizen should be allowed to own an extensive and dangerous firearm collection without jumping through many hoops or having legitimate reasons (farming, sport, etc), for example, and the structure of our gun control laws makes sure that doesn't happen.

I really do wish that this worked here, then maybe it would be worth considering, but it's been borne out repeatedly that when they try increasing the controls here it doesn't actually do anything to the difficulty of criminals to get guns.

The other thing is that "legitimate reason" is really too subjective to government application. In may-issue states for carry permits (like CA), just as a running example (it's not a perfect comparison), it ends up being a de-facto no. The folks in law enforcement are often against any citizens owning or carrying guns, because they (illogically, as above) think that they'll eventually be facing down those guns. The net result is that the only people that can get permits to carry are ex/current law enforcement and personal/political friends of the police. They simply dismiss everyone else as "not really needing it." So now you're at the whim of the sheriff for your local area, rather than the legitimacy of your need/request.

People that have extensive firearm collections are in fact the exact opposite of dangerous. The guy with thousands and thousands of dollars to blow on a hobby? He's not robbing people. It's an easy knee-jerk to think more guns = more danger, but that's not really the case. They don't check the home of guy that knocked off the gas station and find a cache of legally acquired guns.

Same thing with the laws here surrounding "assault riles" (which is to say scary black rifles). If it's got black plastic instead of wood, suddenly the same functional rifle needs extra background checks and you need to be 21 (vs only 18 if it's wood). Something like % 1 of crimes are committed with rifles, it's almost always handguns. So what's the real goal of regulating black plastic on rifles? What criminals is that law that effective against?

Lanackse-Kanvae
I'd probably prefer to own a crossbow or composite bow since the recoil from a rifle could probably do some damage to my shoulder.
Depends on what you get. A heavier gun with a lower caliber will have less felt recoil. Like a .22LR in a big long bull barrel you can barely even feel. Something like .223 in a heavier rifle isn't bad either, probably about on par with the recoil of a crossbow.
Lanackse-Kanvae
Besides which, guns require some serious care and often special ammo to avoid jamming. I live in an area where 80% humidity is considered low (yay for living on a peninsula) and that may not do a gun much favours. I know that chrome suffers a lot in high humidity.
Well, cleaning is really all you need to avoid jamming in a properly built gun. The humidity sucks, I have a similar issue here, you just have to keep it wiped with oil when you put it away. Chrome (usually hard-chrome, which isn't shiny, like on tools) is actually one of the best anti-corrosion finishes. There's lots of finishes out there though to fight corrosion anyway though.
SlackerInside
Same thing with the laws here surrounding "assault riles" (which is to say scary black rifles). If it's got black plastic instead of wood, suddenly the same functional rifle needs extra background checks and you need to be 21 (vs only 18 if it's wood). Something like % 1 of crimes are committed with rifles, it's almost always handguns. So what's the real goal of regulating black plastic on rifles? What criminals is that law that effective against?
The "well regulated militia", or whatever that was called in the second amendment. Not that a bunch of regular people with guns would stand a chance against a SWAT team ...
The20
The "well regulated militia", or whatever that was called in the second amendment. Not that a bunch of regular people with guns would stand a chance against a SWAT team ...
Ehhh, that's getting a bit Ted Nugent-ey. There's some of the premise that has value, but I try to stay away from all that when talking to folks that are either afraid of or don't understand firearms. On the day when more legal gun owners are committing gun crime than criminals with illegally obtained and owned weapons, then that will be a bridge to cross.

In any case, it's not some shadowy g-men that passed that one. It's the Brady campaign group of people who have been convinced that all guns are inherently evil and therefore take any opportunity they can find to erode the ability for law abiding citizens to own guns; regardless of the actual impact on criminal activity.

Talking about the same daydreaming people who put "we ban guns" signs on their stores, as if that's going to deter someone robbing the place.
Heck yeah catblock plus.
Best april fools day EVER.
Wheee, I'm A+ certified! How fun. Now my CV might actually get me somewhere.
try to upgrade HD on netbook. put case back on, snap switch off mobo.

using a dell 1550 held together with duct tape now. anyone know where to get batteries?
......and secure hinges?
Jaydi Blaze

using a dell 1550 held together with duct tape now. anyone know where to get batteries?
......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen
Handymen... Etc... Buddies?

Keeping on topic with above:
Here firearms aren't that much of a problem but I do find it a problem that they are considered 'cool' which I would assume to be by the popularization from games. I have been around firarms since I was 10 and because of that I don't see them as toys. I see them really as tools, very dangerous tools. I unconsciously keep my finger to the side of anything that resembles a firearm, regardless of what it may be. I believe the firearm legislation works well but I believe the old legislation was better, the main difference that I am concerned with was that firearms were registered to people. So that made it easier to track and added an extra layer of protection.

On a lighter note, went deer stalking in the weekend (already had lots of 'you don't look like the hunter type' comments), LOTS of sign but didn't see anything. A couple of stags had just started roaring, a week early but with Easter next weekend it won't be safe to go out due to the tourists and the extra amount of hunters in the area.
Disconsented
Jaydi Blaze

......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen

I got em online for like, $25 total.

just found out a letter I wrote with a check a month or so ago is still sitting on the table, untouched. My $5k debt is now a $15k debt, because mum didn't think it was important enough to mail.

Jesus christ, I sell all of my electronics, all my game systems, run my business into the ground and run my van into ruin to help her, only to have her put a maximum of $25 /month to the bills and then ignore when I ask her for a tiny bit of help mailing a letter to keep our debts down. Now I'm unemployed, have no car, have barely what passes as a laptop, and everything I do gets me nowhere.
Goddamnit. As soon as I get my bills paid...hate to do this but I'm abandoning her. She seems hellbent on driving herself as far into poverty as she can, and dragging anyone else down into it with her. I love her but this is getting rediculous.
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Jaydi Blaze

......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen

just found out a letter I wrote with a check a month or so ago is still sitting on the table, untouched. My $5k debt is now a $15k debt, because mum didn't think it was important enough to mail.

Jesus christ, I sell all of my electronics, all my game systems, run my business into the ground and run my van into ruin to help her, only to have her put a maximum of $25 /month to the bills and then ignore when I ask her for a tiny bit of help mailing a letter to keep our debts down. Now I'm unemployed, have no car, have barely what passes as a laptop, and everything I do gets me nowhere.
Goddamnit. As soon as I get my bills paid...hate to do this but I'm abandoning her. She seems hellbent on driving herself as far into poverty as she can, and dragging anyone else down into it with her. I love her but this is getting rediculous.

That is a very tough decision, thankfully(sorta) I wont have to make that sort of decision. Does she know what she is doing?
Disconsented
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Jaydi Blaze

......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen

That is a very tough decision, thankfully(sorta) I wont have to make that sort of decision. Does she know what she is doing?
She does, but she is too stuckin her ways to change. Instead of attacking one bill she splits all our money equally on all of them so everyone gets mad and the debts are never paid.

Dangerous Trader

Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Jaydi Blaze

......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen

She does, but she is too stuckin her ways to change. Instead of attacking one bill she splits all our money equally on all of them so everyone gets mad and the debts are never paid.
Why is she still in charge of money matters if this is a known concern?
Ryuke Dragon
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Jaydi Blaze

......and secure hinges?

Got any:
Engineering
Tradesmen

bills are in her name.
Yuki the Third
Ryuke Dragon
Yuki the Third
Disconsented
Yuki the Third

bills are in her name.

which places them firmly in the realm of 'not your ******** problem'

get out, get the ******** out, and do it now.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff