Welcome to Gaia! ::

Skilled Seeker

User Image

Brendon found himself trying to get up onto the rooftops. He felt safest there. He found a store, which had a makeshift pile which helped climbers get to the top, made of various torn furniture and just debris. He made his way up it, keeping his shotgun ready at all times. He finally got to the top, and could see a bit more of the city. He noticed a woman about to climb down from a shop not far away. She was looking around. He kept low to the roof, hoping to not be seen. It would be better for him to have the advantage anyways.

He kept his eyes peeled, wondering if he could see signs of any other life. There were plenty of Undone roaming around, but nothing particularly exciting. He posted himself up a bit, so that he could keep his eyes out for anything that may be of value, as well as the strange female from the other rooftop.
User Image
C H A R L O T T E
F R E E M A N
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Charlotte was just starting to get antsy when the metal flap in the alleyway slid to the side and a girl wiggled out. She seemed quick and nimble and was off running before Charlotte could even shout a greeting. Perhaps that was the safer thing, to not say anything at all. Lord knows how crazy people went after their loved ones became drooling ankle-biters. Charlotte realized she was an idiot for trying to find out who this mysterious girl was and turned to leave, hefting her pack higher onto her shoulders.

She only caught a glimpse of the movement in her peripherals. They were like literal ninjas, moving through the shadows of the buildings. They didn't seem to be interested in Charlotte, but the three lurkers moved like sharks towards the direction that the alley girl had run off in. She couldn't have known they were tracking her, but Charlotte still hesitated. It wasn't her problem. If she tried to help this alley girl she might just end up dead herself.

But momma didn't raise no coward. With a sad little self-pity whine, Charlotte sprinted across the rooftops, her hand clutched to her stitched side. Off in the distance she could see a figure drop down onto a fire escape and disappear into a building. Charlotte had closed the distance by the time the figure re-emerged. It was the alley girl. With a deep breath and a silent prayer, Charlotte cupped her hands around her mouth and screamed.

"Lurkers! You've got lurkers on your tail!"

Skilled Seeker

User Image

Brendon saw another woman running across the rooftops. He definitely was not one to go around trying that, that was for sure. She seemed to be going after the first girl he noticed. He could hear her yell out into the air as well.

"Lurkers!", Loud and clear. Now he knew he might be getting into some trouble. He didn't want to end up walking right into a horde, and getting himself killed. He needed to get out of trouble. He stayed in place, still searching for the best way to get out of here. He could not find much to go off of. This area was still foreign to him, and it definitely wasn't helping. He decided to wait on the movements of the two females, before he decided his next move.

Shy Hunter

~*Abby O'Brien*~

We climbed from the ruins
    to see what remained
    And one by one, we felt the sun
    and prepared to start again

User Image
    Well, this was a bust. Not that it was anything new, really, but...

"The disappointment never stops," the woman murmured under her breath. Crawling out from underneath the small impromptu shelter she made with her her tarp and a cinderblock, she rose to her feet, stretching her arms out over her head as green eyes surveyed the area. It was a good survey point, at least, rooftop of course: as her mantra had been ever since early on, height normally equalled an increased chance of survival. Aaand it was warm. A bit muggy. She was sure being so close to a city only helped with that, practically used to it: she was from an Atlanta suburb, after all.

Not to mention...

Shielding her eyes as she looked upwards, she murmured, "Rain..." And indeed, the clouds on the horizon were looking a bit grey-but whether they would actually open up here or just simply pass over, she had no idea. Regardless, it meant little to her. Stay healthy, yes, definitely, but she could handle a little rain. She'd handled worse just when doing her job before this all hit.

With a small groan, she leaned back to pop her back before moving to do her morning routine. Important in a foreign country, important during an apocalypse, one of the best ways to soothe nerves and culture shock. Gathering together some trash-particularly old newspaper and a little bit of wood from a busted-up platform-she made a small pile, working for a while at striking together her flint pieces to encourage a spark. When she finally got a flame, she took out a sock filled with charcoal, carefully pouring some of the water from her bottle to seep through the water, through the sock, and into the old, tarnished cup. Finally she set the cup onto the edge of the fire where it was looking a bit low, pulling out a small ziplock bag of pine needles and dropping them into the cup to brew.

From another small ziplock bag, she pulled a few thin strips of pine bark-the part underneath the brown, chunky part, the part that was white and soft, of course-and carefully dangled it over the flames here and there, letting it toast a little bit before bringing it back to her mouth to take a reluctant bite out of. She couldn't help the face she made; the stuff was edible, but hardly nutrient-plenty, and nourishment did not necessarily mean decent taste or texture. To help counter this, she decided to splurge a bit-not with the cucumber in her pack, that was dinner-but with a bit of wild onion grass in another ziplock. Sitting there in silence, she finally unholstered her trowel, using it to help encourage the cup out of the cinders and closer to her. As she stared at the cup as it and the bitter, Vitamin C-filled pine needle tea slowly cooled off, she shook her head, brushing back the bangs of her red, chin-length bob only for them to fall back over one of her eyes.

"Enough of this," she grumbled. "Starting today, I'm heading for Appalachia."

Hearing a bit of commotion and the shouts of 'lurker', she automatically looked around for said offender-but seeing none of the sort, she then looked off to the side. On one roof, a woman booking it, leaping from rooftop to rooftop. Her eyes turned forwards, and ahead of her she could see a man on another rooftop. She stared at him for a moment-seemed he'd be the higher risk, as the sprinting woman definitely seemed more occupied-and she swore lightly under her breath, glancing back down at the fire before reaching over to grab her hurley stick and climb to her feet. Maybe he was a decent guy, maybe not. But if he did see her, she wasn't about to let him think she was completely helpless and unarmed.

But there was no time to look behind;
    we needed to rebuild
    Braver deeds are still to come,
    and destinies fulfilled

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Inventory: Pine bark (cut into thin strips) and needles, 1 small tin cup, 3 socks (one of which is filled with charcoal), wild onion grass, yaupon holly leaves, small bundle of magnolia leaves, 1 cucumber, moss, 1 piece of blue chalk, 1 kneeling pad, 10 small ziplock bags, 1 small tarp, a length of string, 7 bandaids, 12 Ibuprofin pills, 2 pieces of flint, 1 change of clothes, a half-filled bottle of water, a map of Georgia, a sliotar, a hurley stick, a switchblade, a Marshalltown trowel (Philadelphia style, holstered) and an excavation spade
    Company: Alone-- > Charlotte and Brendon [indirectly]
    User Image
    C H A R L O T T E
    F R E E M A N

She had flirted with danger long enough. If the alley girl hadn't heard her or didn't believe her, that was going to be her own problem. Gasping for breath and ready to just sit down and let the lurkers munch on her eyeballs, Charlotte turned and jogged lightly away only to pull up short as she noticed another human only a short distance away. He had obviously heard her caterwauling. She approached slowly, letting her hands fall to her sides. She wasn't going to reach for any weapons if he wasn't.

"You hear? Lurkers coming," she called lamely, squinting to see the man more clearly. He looked like every other survivor she'd seen. "You might not want to stick around here much longer."

User Image

arrow Location:

“Mine truly, eh?” he says quietly to himself. out loud. He’s already intensely pondering as he says it. She moves like some kind of warrior, cool and efficient.

He is slightly vexed by this woman. She’s strange enough for a person traveling alone, yet oddly calm for one. He feels like he is doubting her unnecessarily because of her looks. The dead don’t care what she looks like, it’s not conspicuous… is it?

After going back and forth for a few moments, he fails to come to any conclusions.

“you know,” he began.

“I was gonna go on a supply run today.” He walked over to the rope ladder, and undid the strap, ready to toss it down.

“Now that you’ve rustled their jimmies I could use two more eyes. And other parts, if it gets tight.” He took a full two seconds before adding, “Like fists and feet. Not your… butt.” and then took another 4 or 5 seconds before adding, “I’m not a raper. I just want help getting supplies.”

The awkward feeling is nostalgic. That’s one thing he doesn’t miss, the stress of having to censor himself. He’s always had a talent for misspeaking.

"Do you always use boomboxes like that or was it just a spur of the moment thing?" He'd been wondering. Boomboxes aren't just lying around everywhere and that was pretty effective.

User Image

Location: Outside North Dodger

She literally lifts a gloved hand to her face and squeezes her temples for a moment. Oh man. This guy had the tact of a bag of rocks.

End of the world or not, you don’t come at a girl with “I’m not a raper.” within the first ten minutes of conversation. Phoebe drags her hand down her face and sighs, watching him toss the rope down in a peace offering.

Smooth talker or not, she can’t deny the buddy system. You were always more likely to survive in numbers, and from the looks of his getup, he knew how to stay alive and could prove to be a useful ally.

He had just mentioned her butt though. And rape. She really wishes she had another option.

Looking around as if a knight in shining armor was going to show up at any second, Phoebe sighs as she finds only half rotted biters...and grabs the rope.

You really ought to work on your sales pitch.

She starts climbing, and adds

"The boom box was improvisation. I found it in a moving van up the street...doesn't look like they made it to their destination, whoever they were."

User Image

arrow Location:

From her reaction he notes that, despite the apocalypse, his effect on living people is the same.

"Well... at least I'm telling the truth." he mutters to himself as he goes to sit down. "Make sure to pull the ladder up behind you." He says, louder.

When she reaches the top, he takes a moment before asking her a question. "Okay, so we want to go towards the city. Do you know the area or are you from elsewhere?"

There was still too high of a chance that she might kill him for it to be safe to carry on. The smart thing would be to feel the situation out a bit more before completely letting his guard down.

User Image

"Do you know the area or are you from elsewhere?"

She pulls the ladder up behind her and nods, having a seat Indian style beside him.

"I moved to Dodger 2 years before the world went to s**t, so that makes 4 years I've been here now. I knew the city better when it was alive...I opeted for the countryside to stay alive. That's where I spend most of my time."

She glances in the direction that she knows the city is in. They aren't all that far from there, actually.

"I haven't been there in a while. What are you low on that you need to go into the city for?"

User Image

arrow Location:

"nails and s**t for building." He replied. "Medical stuff. bandages." Leaning back on his hands, looking up at the sky, he took a long pause. "...Other s**t. I can't remember. I have a list." he looked at her. "Paper and pencils. More food." He was thinking aloud now.

"you know. stuff." In reality he had emergency stores of mostly everything he needed, but those stores could disappear at any moment.

"Do you have a base set up in the countryside?" he asked, glancing at her. "A cool one like mine?"

He was pretty proud of his work. And had never really had the chance to show it to anyone before.

User Image

Everything he mentions needing seems practical, some of it she has stores of herself. Nails, for sure. Medical supplies, her mother had been a nurse. She even has wood to build with, but nothing really that she wants or knows how to build.

She's hesitant to disclose the setup that she has -- but after a moment of consideration, she decides he's harmless enough. It's hard for her to help herself, anyway. She's wanted to brag about this for a while.

"I have a waterfall."

Running fresh water. Now she knows he won't kill her, at least not until she takes him there.

"And a farm. Very small, but there's just me, so it's plenty. All our animals died, though..."

She trails off, then corrects herself.

"My animals, I mean. By our I meant my father and I, but he passed a few months back. Still, there's a garden that's doing well. Potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers...there's even an apple tree."

She examines a worn out patch on her gloves and smiles weakly.

"I can't take credit for any of it, really. He made it all happen, I've just been trying to keep up with it since I lost him. But the nicest thing, to be sure, is the waterfall up the creek."

She looks back to him, eyes narrowing.

"If you're not an a*****e, I'll take you there."

Skilled Seeker

User Image

Brendon saw the woman, approach, and decided to take his chances. She was right, staying around here was going to do no good. He placed his Shotgun in it's sling on his back, keeping his hands down as well. It was nice not to have to immediately fend for himself against another survivor. "Sounds like a good idea to me. Mind if I come with you? People tend to live longer in pairs." He said. He didn't have an exact plan, but she seemed capable of holding her own, and two pairs of eyes were always better than one.

"I came out this way to try and find more supplies. I stay back in Central Dodger. You have a safehouse around here?" He asked, hoping not to push the questions and get on her bad side. He noticed the paint across her face, unsure of what it was for, if it meant anything. He had seen quite a bit of weird s**t from all the places he had sung and shows he had been too in general.

Behind the woman who had approached him, he also noticed what looked like smoke, and was unsure of how a fire would have started anywhere near here, unless it was caused by a Survivor which he had no sight of at the moment. He still kept his focus on the woman in front of him, but he needed to keep on his guard, just in case,
      User Image
      C H A R L O T T E
      F R E E M A N

Charlotte was beyond relieved that this survivor didn't seem like a complete lunatic. He seemed pretty normal but she was not putting even an ounce of trust his way, yet. She had been in a few groups where the men had decided that they no longer needed to treat a woman like she was anything more than a place to get their nut off. She wouldn't put it past this grizzled shotgun-wielding male to be like that. Hefting her backpack a little higher on her shoulders, pained that it wasn't heavier with food, she gripped her side once again as it twinged.

"We can go together if you know how to keep your hands and dangly bits to yourself," she said warily, rolling her ankles lightly to start warming them up for jumping and running again. "And in my experience it doesn't matter how many people you've got. It's what's in here that matters." Grinning, knowing she probably looked a bit maniacal, Charlotte tapped her temple. Other survivors were always hesitant around her warpaint.

"I don't keep a regular spot. I'm a nomad, a wild beast! No one can tame me!" She laughed, then promptly stopped as she heard a scream vaguely in the distance. She swallowed hard, realizing they were wasting time.

"You got a place, man? Lead the way. I just don't want to be horde meat."

Shy Hunter

~*Abby O'Brien*~

We climbed from the ruins
        to see what remained
        And one by one, we felt the sun
        and prepared to start again

User Image
        The redhead eyed the pair for a moment, hand absently reaching up to tuck her bangs back behind her ear-even though they fell right back over her eye again. "s**t," she finally murmured under her breath, finally setting the hurley stick back down and beginning to hurry around camp to get everything packed. Back when all of this first started...she was a bit slow, a bit clumsy, struggled a little to get everything into place. But at this point, by now she practically had this down to a science. Put the kneeling pad away, food stuffs away, roll the tarp up-well actually the tarp business she was already fairly quick at, considering her occupation. All the while she kept glancing towards the pair on the other roof.

People weren't necessarily bad. On the contrary, traveling with people also helped boost your chances of survival. But that all depended on what people you ran with, and these guys...well, she had no idea who these guys were, if they were a part of some party...and no idea on intentions. The redhead was strong, she had been even before all of this happened-again, thanks to her job-but if she were to come across a hostile party with guns or some s**t...yeah, that would be a problem.

Dodger was a bust. This whole damn city... The rumors claimed that there might be some sort of quarantine area here. The rumors were wrong, or at least they were now.

"Time to go, time to go..." she muttered under her breath, but before she could really even consider heading out, she needed to get a decent idea of which route she could possibly take with the least amount of risk. She absolutely hated going into something without a plan.

Holstering her trowel, she gave a glance towards her spade as she began walking along the edges of the building to look down at the streets below, attempting to formulate some sort of getaway, some sort of safe route out of the city for as far as she could see. The spade she would remove last, as she had made sure it helped with keeping the door to the wall access shut.

"Lurker, lurker, norms...ugh, so many of these things..." she murmured under her breath. There weren't nearly these many hanging around last night. She didn't doubt the idea that all the ruckus the other two made up top had probably drawn more towards their location in excess.

But there was no time to look behind;
        we needed to rebuild
        Braver deeds are still to come,
        and destinies fulfilled

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Inventory: Pine bark (cut into thin strips) and needles, 1 small tin cup, 3 socks (one of which is filled with charcoal), wild onion grass, yaupon holly leaves, small bundle of magnolia leaves, 1 cucumber, moss, 1 piece of blue chalk, 1 kneeling pad, 10 small ziplock bags, 1 small tarp, a length of string, 7 bandaids, 12 Ibuprofin pills, 2 pieces of flint, 1 change of clothes, a half-filled bottle of water, a map of Georgia, a sliotar, a hurley stick, a switchblade, a Marshalltown trowel (Philadelphia style, holstered) and an excavation spade
        Company: Alone-- > Charlotte and Brendon [indirectly]
        She heard the shouts of "lurkers" being close. Growling to herself and simultaneously thanking whoever was warning her, Renée jumped into the building from the fire escape and ran through to the front entrance and smiled at the two survivors. "Thanks!!" She yelled running towards her second safe zone.. her father had really been something.

Internally, she fought with herself, that woman put herself in danger by helping her out, the least she could do was return the favor to the woman and her friend. Turning over and looking at the two, she shouted, "I have a safe place we can go until they're gone! You're welcome to come!" Too much ruckus but it was the least she could do.

She saw a red headed woman some ways away and shook her head, she really hoped she wasn't going to regret breaking her own rules. "Hey! You! Redhead!" Renée called over as she slowed her pace, "if you're looking for a safe haven, I have a shelter near by, I offered the other two over there as well. Just follow me if you do!" And with that, Renée was off once more.

She hoped the three survivors would join her, in some place inside her (the place she refused to acknowledge) she hated being alone and she couldn't just leave people for dead.

Turning a corner, she shouted out to the three behind her, "Come on!" And ran down towards another alleyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
        Manage Your Items
        Other Stuff
        Get GCash
        Offers
        Get Items
        More Items
        Where Everyone Hangs Out
        Other Community Areas
        Virtual Spaces
        Fun Stuff