Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Welcome

Here is my answer to craving a quick, simplistic role play without forfeiting quality. This is a walk-in literate RP thread, which means if your posts are of little substance they will probably be ignored. I can not stress that enough. Don't post unless you're confident in your writing skills. Spelling/grammar errors are not a big deal, but one-liners and final fantasy character rip offs will be deleted. On that note, this thread will rely highly on your ability to improvise and go with the flow. When crazy scenarios are thrown at you, you will be expected to be able to cope, adapt, and survive.

Here are the guidelines to follow:

Your characters cannot have powers. Everyone is human in the midst of a terrible zombie outbreak.

Your characters must be realistic. Military background is okay, but please, no Rambo characters who can slap a zombie with their d**k from a mile away...that's just not fun to read. I want to see character development, I want to see struggle, I want to see your characters be surprised and scared but overcome these obstacles...oh wait, you already know this BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL SEASONED WRITERS, RIGHT?!

Minimal post formats please. I like character references, and pictures in your posts are okay, but small ones, we don't need all the frill and stretched pages. See my own posts for an example of what is acceptable.

There will be a few types of zombie:

Note that survivors refer to zombies as the "undone". See the quoted section at the bottom of this post for an explanation.

1.) The normal infected, who are the slow moving, stupid, drooling kind that everyone's familiar with.

2.) The lurkers, who are thinner, stealthier and smarter due a mutation in the virus. They are as strong and fast as a typical athletic human. They can and will climb things to get to you, and also manipulate their environment to try to get to you. This includes things like making noise to attract hoards on purpose, setting primitive traps, and making primitive tools to use against you. Lurkers are rare loners and usually will not team up with one another.

3.) The berserkers, who are big, strong, and generally pissed off. These hulks will do anything for flesh, but they don't think much before they act. Utilize this.

4.) The spitters, who are a lot like lurkers except they spit some acidic phlegm that burns the flesh. They aim for the eyes. Eeew.

5.) The clickers (YUP, totally stole this from The Last Of Us, all credit goes to them, I just love the idea), who are blind but have extremely good hearing and make a creepy clicking sound used for echolocation, like bats. You can hold still up against a larger object in order to avoid detection, but if you're standing out in the open and they "click", they'll be able to distinguish what you are based on your shape. These zombies have to have been infected for at least 1 month before fully developing this ability.

6.) The screamers, who usually come before a hoard. They run ahead and scream when they see you, attracting more infected. These guys really suck.

7.) The impostors, who usually consist of women or children. These zombies are smart enough to realize that they can appeal to your good nature by crying or acting generally pathetic and helpless. If you fail to realize that they're zombies and attempt to help them, they will take advantage of your kindness and attack once they've lured you in. These zombies are also the only ones who can speak, but they can only say a few words like help, please, I'm lost, mommy, etc. No fully formed sentences though.

FEEL FREE TO RUN IDEAS FOR NEW TYPES OF ZOMBIES BY ME, I'D LOVE TO HEAR AND ADD THEM!.

I don't want profiles. I want to learn your character as we go, it's much more interesting that way!

This story will start with everyone's characters in a fictional town called Dodger in the Northeastern part of America. It has an inner city that is a lot like NYC, but it's not very big, just outside it are the suburbs and then of course the country. I like this map because it offers writers with three types of setting to choose from. Remember, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE BUILDING THIS STORY! Feel free to create or destroy the environment around you. I have been vague about the location and specifics of Dodger for a reason.

The virus, depending on the strand you catch, has different effects as outlined above. It can be caught by fluid exchange only; so blood splashing in the eyes, the saliva in a zombies bite, making out with a zombie, etc.

You will know that someone is infected when their eyes start turning yellow and their pupils become fully dilated. Once your character has been bit, they have 24 hours left before they're lost to the infection. Your character should become increasingly aggressive as the infection progresses. As of now there is no cure or vaccine, but perhaps as the story goes on we will discover ways to stunt the progress of the infection.

All OOC should stay in the OOC thread!!!

Please understand that I am a slow poster. Some days I'll be quicker than others -- I will respond whenever I can, but I promise I will try to make each post worth the wait!

Liquid Lights and I are the mods of this thread. I really don't plan to be doing much policing here unless someone upsets someone or something.

"Day One" takes place the night of June 22nd, 2019
The outbreak has been in full swing for about 2 years.
Here is the state of things upon your characters entrance:

The Story Thus Far

The old world had fallen away to dust beneath the edge of the very weapons her countries had made to protect the people that lived in them. Man had fallen on his own sword. Nations had rained their atomic fire upon themselves and into the heart of every major city in the world. In vain hope that the mass outbreaks would be culled with the doomed populations of massed infected wiped out in a single, flashing moment of utter all-encompassing self-destruction... The Undoing came to be so named by the few that were left when the fallout swept into the air... What infected remained were The Undone -- more savage and horrifying than any that came before them. The people left alive became accustomed to starvation... The trees withered and died. The rain fell like acid and burned the crops and poisoned the water. Ash fell from every sky... And the sun refused to shine.

Those who survived were cursed with the misfortune of living in what remained of the world before.

Dodger gets very cold at night and never really raises above 70 degrees during the day.

If you have any questions feel free to ask in the OOC thread, others might be wondering the same thing. I encourage you to introduce yourself there upon entry!

User Image

arrow Location: Outside North Dodger

Dead men sing off key. No sense of melody or dynamics.

Doesn’t stop them from singing. Every day, sing sing sing. No need for lyrics. Accompanied only by shuffling. It’s ******** tiresome. But they are useless if they can’t sing.

its his security system. If the tune ever changes, he’s got company. The dead he can handle. No horde will ever corner him. he’s got a system.

Survivors he won’t deal with. Too unpredictable. Too clever. Too deceitful.

Too hungry. Unfortunately, he’s hungry too. If he doesn’t go on a run for supplies today he won’t get good sleep.

if he doesn’t get good sleep he won’t be alert.

…and if he isn’t alert, he’ll get eaten.

He peers out over the ledge of his makeshift treehouse, which was really more of a human-size sleeping pod suspended between two suburban houses. The surrounding area was full of modifications and storage pods full of weapons or supplies.

corpses sauntered around aimlessly. all along the block some were chained to trees and lampposts. A few had bells stapled to their skulls.

He hasn’t seen another living soul in months, but that fear is still as real as it ever was.

Devoted Bachelorette

User Image
      Lost in Deadland
      xxxxxSιяєиα Aяɢoxxxx
                  々Ilthinkltheylarelscared . . .
                                  xxᴏɧlѡεℓℓ.

The air was still. On a normal day it would be somewhat peaceful, but instead it was eery. Sirena walked quietly through the streets of Dodger, unsure of how to get out or where to go. She was not originally from Dodger, so trying to escape from the undone was harder than she anticipated. It was a big, confusing puzzle that never seemed to end.

Abruptly, Sirena stopped in her tracks when she heard a low grumble. An instant panic filled her stomach until she realized that the growing roar was actually coming from her stomach. She scowled and reached into her cargo pants pocket. She had a old, brick-like biscuit left from her original food supply which she was lucky to find untouched in a shelter. The food was old and not satisfying, but it was food none the less.

Hurrying along, she ducked behind a comparatively small building that read DODGER CITY HALL. She pushed herself against the chilled building and slide down to the dying grass, then began to tear her biscuit proportionally. She had to save some for another time. Survival was her number one goal right now...

xx

Psst.!! Psst!!
                Watch your back!!

If you need to know . . .

↪「ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ • East side of the City Hall building in Dodger
                                  ↪「ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs • Everything is dead...
                                  ↪「ᴏᴏᴄ • ...」
((Posting from phone, apologies for lack of picture - will put one up ))

She peeked around the corner, her grey eyes flickering towards the car whose alarm was giving off a deafening blare. Renée sighed deeply and shook her head, counting to three, she tossed her book bag over the small wall and jumped over after it. Running past the car and it's blaring alarm, Renée shifted her bag over both shoulders and tugged at the gun tucked into her jeans.

Once she made it past the car and through the next ally, she tossed her bag behind a small hidden grove and maneuvered herself behind it, closing the heavy metal that hid said grove. Pushing her bag in front of her, Renée crawled for what seemed minutes upon minutes - the sound of her adrenaline pumping through her veins making her feel jittery. Once she found the entrance to her hidden sanctuary, she dug out the key to the door and pushed it open.

Shoving her bag into the room, Renée heaved herself through and closed the heavy door with a soft 'thud', and locked it accordingly. Sighing deeply, Renée pushed her bag to the side and headed towards the make shift kitchen and took a bottle of water from the pantry - drinking it's contents within moments.

Had her father not been such a "end of the world/apocalypse can happen at any time" man, she wouldn't have been so lucky to have such a safe space from the out side world and it's current inhabitants - humans and zombies alike.

Renée didn't bother to even take a glance over at her bookbag, she just slid into her bed and stared at the concrete ceiling. The sound of the blaring alarm outside was distant and muffled, but it bothered her greatly. She noticed that the zombies were barely attracted to trivial noises now a days, most of them had started to realize such noises rarely resulted in food - a few of them would scuffle by but lose interest fast and move on to some unfortunate sole. Either way, Renée wasn't stupid enough to go by any loud noises and she sure as hell wasn't going to bother with trying to play any sort of hero. Renée learned the hard way that it was just all trouble.. and rarely ever worth it.

User Image

Phoebe sits cross legged in a tree just outside of North Dodger, Binoculars in her gloved hands, a sucker stick between her lips, scoping the neighborhood for anything or anyone who might be useful. She adjusts the candy treat with her tongue, curiously honing in on a part of the neighborhood she hadn't yet explored.

It's a quaint little suburban part of town. Or it was, from what she remembers. There are flags everywhere, tattered and torn, unruly lawns overgrown and unkempt, dead crawling all over everything. Feral dogs run through the streets, fighting for scraps.

One of them runs past a zombie chained to a tree, and another with bells tied around it's neck and legs.

Bingo

Modified zombies ~ this means a survivor. Either they're well equipped and alive, or they'd died and had a stash of goodies waiting to be picked through.

Pulling the sucker from her candied lips, she breaths in deep through her nose, lowering the binoculars with her other hand. Another living person could just as easily be the best or the worst possible thing to happen to her. She'd done her fair share of killing to get the things she needed. She understood the stakes, and so did anyone else still alive after two years of this nightmare.

But to be well stocked is to survive, and to have a second set of eyes and ears is to flourish. So Phoebe kicks her boot clad feet and falls gracefully out of the tree, removing her binoculars and tucking them into her backpack.

==================================================

"Psycho Killer!
                                                Qu'est-ce que c'est
                                                Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far, better
                                                Run run run run run run run AWAYYYYYYYYYY!!!
                                                "

The shopping cart careens down the street noisily, a boom box strapped to it and screaming Psycho Killer by Talking Heads. The street is on a natural slope, which is where she got the idea to do this crazy s**t, and as the cart gains momentum, infected are paying it quite a lot of attention.

"You start a conversation you can't even finish it!
                                                You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything!
                                                When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
                                                Say something once, why say it again?!
                                                "

Such a terrible song, she won't miss that track at all. Phoebe watches the biters begin to circle the cart -- providing the perfect distraction while she sneaks behind the house with the belled and chained zombies. The pods come into view, but she isn't aware of their supply-rich centers. She wonders if they're traps of some kind...or bait for strangers like herself? For now, she avoids them.

User Image

arrow Location:

He’s laying on his back resting when a strange ruckus breaks out down below.

It’s the Talking Heads, and they’re sailing down the hill in a shopping cart. He feels like he’s dreaming at first.

But it can’t be a dream. He shakes it off, and hops quickly onto one of the roofs behind him.

Silently, he scans the mirrors. All around the roof, he has a network of mirrors allowing him to see the blind spots right under both houses without having to peek out and see. Like many of his tediously laid traps and rigs, they were vulnerable only to the living. They could be easily shot.

What he does see is what appears to be a commando-dressed amazon woman sneaking behind the houses. He doesn’t think. He has a protocol for this. His eyes held glued to the mirrors, his hand reaching to an open box. It drew out a .45 caliber sidearm and held it calmly.

“Hey, you.” He projects his voice but does not yell.

“What are you doing down there?” he asks, flatly.

it’s not the most strategically advanced protocol.

Skilled Seeker

User Image

Brendon had woken up that morning, awaken from the same dream that haunted him most nights, at the same time in the morning as normal. He quickly rose from bed, his Shotgun close by, leaning against the bed. He made his way to his bathroom, and took a long look in the mirror. The dark circles under his eyes were clearly visible. He didn't get much rest these days, just trying to stay alive. He was alone, having lost everyone right after the breakout. He had managed to somehow survive in his apartment. Many a supply run, and close calls, that was for sure. he wasn't a fighter. He had learned to handle some guns, but was definitely no marksman. He was a singer, for goodness sake...Not that it had much meaning anymore. He kept singing, quietly to himself when he could, or to a group if he knew they were in no danger. Sure, he had lightened a spirit or two while surviving, but it was mainly to keep him sane. Something to pass the time, something to work on.

He finished semi grooming himself and went to the small table in his living area to take a look at his map. Not that he really needed it. He knew every building with a twelve city block by heart. He needed to to keep on his toes, and stay alive. As he glanced over the map, he took a look outside, the window being huge. He was staying in a nice apartment, located right in the middle of Dodger. He saw the sun and began singing to himself...

"Sun in the sky,

You know how I feel...

User Image

“Hey, you. What are you doing down there?”

!

Phoebe turns on a dime, and there he is. She draws a colt of her own, but she sees that he isn't pointing...so neither does she.

They stare at each other for a moment.

"You're alive."

She says this matter-of-factly, tilting her head just a tad.

"I wasn't quite expecting that. I was here to raid your grave."

She sounds foreign, British maybe, and she isn't so hard on the eyes either. Her instinct is to be disappointed that he's a man. Men are fickle whores, and women in this world have become a commodity. She isn't too keen on becoming just another chained up thing in his backyard, so she begins slowly backing away.

"I'll try to come back when you're dead, aye?"

User Image
C H A R L O T T E
F R E E M A N
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"Balls, balls, balls," was her whispered mantra as she pushed her legs faster, feeling like she was flying over the cracked pavement. She had been prying at a vending machine in a shelled out school when she had heard the unmistakable click clack that signaled the arrival of a clicker. Just her luck. Charlotte hadn't wanted to abandon her precious find so she had started to work faster, finally wrenching off the front plate of the vending machine. She had only put in a few handfuls of granola bars and Twinkies into her backpack when she heard the click clack click much more distinctly. The clicker rounded the corner at the end of the hallway, swinging its head back and forth to finally settle in her general direction. There was nothing to block its echolocation from picking her out.

Which was why Charlotte was now sprinting as quickly as she could through the back alleys of northern Dodger, a stitch in her side starting to form. She could hear a passel of the undone behind her, slowly making their way closer and closer. They never had to worry about stitches or breathing. A dumpster positioned below a fire escape became her saving grace.

Scrambling up the old and rusty ladder, the young woman finally swung herself up onto the roof of what appeared to be an apartment building. A quick survey deemed that there were no immediate threats and that the horde of undone below wouldn't be able to reach her. She prayed that there wasn't a lurker in the pack.

That prayer went out the window when a car alarm started up just down the street.

"Balls," she muttered, raking her dirty fingers through her equally dirty and snarled hair. A small, dark figure darted out from the shadows and leaped over the squawking car, disappearing into an alleyway. Was that the car alarm culprit? With carefully timed runs and jumps, Charlotte started her way over the rooftops to where the person had disappeared.

Skilled Seeker

User Image

Brendon had prepped everything he needed, and was soon heading out. He began to lock up the place behind him, having an intricate system for getting in and out of his heavily modified home. Only the roof was the way to reach him, and it was best that way. Undone had no ways of making it up there, so his only real threat in his home was other survivors. Unlike most, he had not adapted a "Shoot on Sight" Policy like most others have when it came to other survivors. He didn't want to become a monster like the undone roaming around.

He made his way out, and now, he found himself heading out a bit farther north than usual. Not much was really left near him, so his treks were becoming longer and longer. He had come up with the idea of a second safehouse, but deemed it too dangerous for the time being. As he moved through the alleys, avoiding threats when he could, in the distance, he heard what sounded like a car alarm. He usually didn't like the idea of following loud noises, as the Undone would be doing the same, but he may find some of what he is looking for. He heads off with a jog, hoping to not run into a horde.
    User Image

tab She'd been walking for a while now, having had to ditch the car due to running out of gas. It wasn't safe to worry about the little things. She took what she could carry and continued forward, that was that. That was life these days. It had been an exhausting evening to get here, and she was still bitter over her recent loss. Her hand still shook slightly but she was regaining her nerves. She couldn't afford to let her guard down.

tab Keeping as quiet as she could traveling on foot, she crept into the city of Dodge in search of supplies and temporary shelter so she might hash out a new plan of action. She was hungry as her stomach gave a growl, but she hadn't had enough time to grab much food in her hasty escape. Her body was covered in bruises and scratches, but she wasn't infected. It was mostly from the crash.

tab She carried a pistol, a shot gun, and a machete on her along with extra ammo and a satchel filled with some essentials including a med kit with various needed supplies and pain killers, few water bottles, flash light with new batteries, food (box of granola bars, a bag of nuts, package of crackers, and two cans of beans), and a lighter. A half empty water canteen was also upon her as she traveled. Hence why she was in the process of finding a place to hunker down so she could settle short term and gather more supplies.

tab There were plenty of infected undone wandering around the city, but they were easy enough to avoid. She was more worried about running into lurkers or screamers. Screamers were the reason she was in this little predicament and she couldn't shake the feeling that some of the undone had managed to track and follow her even this far. With her pistol drawn and at ready, she continued to move forward into the city taking note of the layout and any good opportunities for shelter.

User Image

arrow Location:

“I intend to stay alive for a long time” He replies automatically. He’d hardly been socially adept before the Undoing, and since then he rarely speaks to anyone that doesn’t reply in moans. His filter is basically nonexistent.

This woman gives him pause for many reasons.
                                                      She’s dangerous because she’s alive.
                                                      She’s also dangerous because she’s a woman.
                                                      She’s also dangerous because she’s attractive.

Then theres the big question of whether or not she represents more survivors.

All of this swims through his brain for a long moment, as he sorts through the thoughts patiently.

“Hold on a moment.” He said. “I don’t want you to go back and report my position to your group so that you can come back and ******** all my s**t up.”

He needs to find out more about this woman and see what kind of threat she really represents.

The girl rubbed her temples as she listened intently as the car alarm slowly started to die out. A small, relieved smile spread over her face for a few moments, disappearing as fast as it came. Cracking her eye open, Renée glanced over at the door that led back to the outside world. A sigh spilled from her lips as she flipped onto her stomach and stared at the door for a while.

After some time, she found herself getting fidgety and she was all out of cigarettes, laying there was just making her more irritated. Finally, after much debating - and her personal resolve to having a strict schedule as to when she would go out - Renée slipped on her black sweater and her fingerless gloves, pushing her gun back into her jeans and her various hidden knives.

Renée walked to a separate room and checked in on some cameras that were littered through out the city (mainly in places that she'd been able to reach so far), after being assured that no attention had been attracted to the car alarm, she pulled on her hood and opened the heavy door, shutting it right behind her.

The light shinning in from the end of the small tunnel was blinding. Flipping on her sunglasses, Renée heaved herself through the hidden grove and pulled the heavy metal back in place. Once satisfied, Renée dusted herself off and headed the opposite way she'd come previously.

There was a store near the middle of the city that still had random odds and ends - but also an extensive cigarette locker. Renée moved efficiently and without noise, all those years in track and other after school hobbies, she was light on her feet and efficient in maneuvering around objects.

She got to the end of the alleyway and jumped onto a small fire escape and ran towards the fifth floor of the building and ran to the balcony that was adjacent to the building next door's room. Once she reached the stairs inside the building, she ran right through the front doors and down the street, dodging several walking corpse.

After about five minutes, Renée was at the backdoor of the store in mind. Smiling to herself, she opened the door slowly and slid into the darkness of the room.. it didn't take long to get what she'd gone for and headed back the way she came.

Sighing heavily before climbing back down the fire escapse, Renée glanced around - she felt odd.. something was coming.

Devoted Bachelorette

User Image
        Lost in Deadland
        xxxxxSιяєиα Aяɢoxxxx
                    々Ilthinkltheylarelscared . . .
                                    xxᴏɧlѡεℓℓ.

There may have been a total of two minutes of silence before a car alarm went off. It was a bit away, but Sirena still knew she could be in big trouble. She quickly jumped up, stuffed her food in her pocket and fled down the road, staying close to the wall. She wasn't exactly sure where she was heading, but as long as the alarm was growing more distant then it was the right way for her.

When the shattering noise became a whisper is when Sirena finally slowed. She tried her best not to huff too long, even though the mild running made her more exhausted than before. I just wanna sleep. Just for five minutes. She whined to herself. AS much as she wanted to take shelter in some alley way or abandon room, she knew that was the perfect time for an undone to come and get her. It was the thought and image of those rotting corpses tearing into her living flesh that kept going.

After a few blocks, Sirena noticed the buildings thinning down. Rundown business offices turned into forgotten suburban homes. She carefully peered around each street, examining the streets carefully with her sunken, deprived hazel eyes. This place was oddly familiar and in a way it scared Sirena.

She stopped next to a bus stop bench and tried to gather her sense of direction. She certainly felt her age at a time like this. How the hell was a strangling twenty year old girl supposed to get around a city like Dodger?

xx

Psst.!! Psst!!
                  Watch your back!!

If you need to know . . .

↪「ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ • Some sort of suburban neighborhood
                                    ↪「ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs • What I would do for a safe place to sleep...
                                    ↪「ᴏᴏᴄ • ...」

User Image

Location: Outside North Dodger

“I intend to stay alive for a long time”

"Mmm, don't we all..."

She smiles like she pities him for the thought.

Hold on a moment. I don’t want you to go back and report my position to your group so that you can come back and ******** all my s**t up.

Thin red brows lift with the corners of her lips, and she actually laughs, quietly.

"My group? Far as I know there's two living things in Dodger. You, and I."

Mid-sentence, her eyes come off the man above her and land on an undone that's slowly making it's way towards her. A spitter, in fact. Phoebe swears softly, giving the stranger above a snarky little index finger.

"Bare with me, love."

Sheathing her gun reluctantly, she pulls the lid off a nearby garbage can. The spitter is a good 20 feet away, and it's shoulders are dipping back while it gathers up a foul, toxic lougie into it's pulsing throat. Phoebe is all too familiar with the body language of these things. She tugs the dangling crowbar from it's place at her hip with her free hand, favoring it over the colt for it's silent delivery, and she approaches the monster with her makeshift shield.

"Atta boy...go on, preach..."

The thing gurgles something awful, then spits a misty spray of acid that would do a number on her eyes, but instead lands all over the garbage can lid. A negligible amount gets onto her clothing, these things have pretty good aim actually and go for the eyes every time, so when he's finished emptying his throat on her, Phoebe darts forward as the monster recoils and delivers a deadly blow to it's head with her crowbar.

She twists, then yanks the bar out of the undead's skull, tossing the garbage can lid on top of the motionless corpse. With a lazy swing of her arm, she looks back to the stranger above, shaking the blood from her weapon.

"There is no group, MacGyver. Just yours truly."

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff