Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
Mehhhhh...reading about parents receiving compassion and understanding for killing or trying to kill their autistic children is making me feel pretty sick right now.

Thieving Lunatic

o.o
That's horrible.

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
No kidding. It's a disturbingly common theme among autism "activists", especially groups like Autism Speaks...our parents and families are the poor, suffering martyrs, and we're burdens at best and monsters at worst (in either case, we don't really deserve to live).

Thieving Lunatic

That's really freaky. Like super freaky.

I can't really understand the reasoning behind the mind set. Like how does some one genuinely think that?

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
I suppose if you're only capable of loving a "normal" child, have no desire to learn to accommodate or learn to understand an autistic child, and think the best way to teach an autistic child to be "normal" is to tie them up, deny them attention, and treat them like an animal... Part of being autistic is having trouble communicating the same way neurotypical people do, and these people seem to assume that that makes us all less than human. I think they used to treat deaf people the same way, come to mention it.

Thieving Lunatic

>.<

I sometimes wish I didn't isolate myself so bad. These groups and mindsets smack me in the face out of nowhere. People should just learn some basic empathy? Logic?

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
I don't know. My employer just sent out an "invitation to voluntarily self-identify" form that includes self-identifying as having a disability, including autism, and I am suddenly terrified that if I fill out that form and admit to being autistic, I'll find myself suddenly fired for some artificial reason...but that if I don't fill out that form and they somehow find out I'm autistic, I'll be fired for not admitting it.

Thieving Lunatic

That's a horrible place to be. I didn't even know those sorts of forms were allowed to be handed out at work places.

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
They are, theoretically so that employers can make better accommodations for your disability. That said, the fact that employers aren't allowed to fire you for having a disability doesn't mean that they won't invent a different excuse for the paperwork.

Thieving Lunatic

>.<

I'd think after having worked there for so long, you would be kinda hard to replace at least. They wouldn't fire a long term employee so easily would they?

Voluntary forms are some sort of evil mind games.

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
I don't know. I honestly don't. If parents of autistic children are treated with compassion and understanding for murdering or trying to kill their own children, it's hard not to envision an employer making up an excuse to fire an employee they just learned is autistic.

Thieving Lunatic

I guess that is true. But I mean if your boss is the type of person to do that sort of thing, I'd wanna get out anyways.

Mind you, I've never been in that sort of a situation before. I'm not sure how I would really take it. It's pretty awful.

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
My immediate supervisor is not. My immediate supervisor actually cares (somewhat) about my mental health and understands that sometimes things go on that kind of affect my work. I'm more worried about the people over her head, namely the lab director and the HR department.

Thieving Lunatic

At least you have a good supervisor then. She probably won't try and get you in trouble. And in my experience higher ups tend to not expend the effort to really research people under their employ, until it becomes a money issue.

Dangerous Geek

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
That's why I'm afraid they might find an excuse to fire me if they find out I'm autistic. They won't really know who I am or how productive or competent a worker I am, they'll just know that one word and assume that's all I amount to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff