Welcome to Gaia! ::

No Texas schools =[ Darnnit

Romantic Vampire

7,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
I wonder if some of you know Philippine-based schools for art that are affordable for the common mass. I shifted from my Fine Arts course into I.T. because of my parents so I'm thinking maybe there are Art seminars somewhere that I can join while still study I.T. Help? Anybody..?

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
I'm interested in drawing comics and manga one day.... where could I go for that? Should I take illustration and figure drawing courses, or what? o.o

And I need A LOT of help building a portfolio, especially when I plan on going to art school next year. I don't have anything particularly decent to put in it yet, a lof of pencil on computer paper drawings, a couple virtual peices, and that's it...

Any tips on portfolio building? That's the part of the application process that scares me the most...

I'm considering Kendal College of Art and Design, by the way. Are there any other good art schools in Michigan?

Newbie Gaian

Random link to possibly add to your school information list:

http://www.aicad.org A list of all the accredited art schools in the United States (With a few out of the states) with full information/statistic sheets containing population/drop outs/price/etc along with what degrees they offer as well (May not be 100% up to date to this year in regard to numbers, but still useful)

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Designl ★★★★✩
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MIAD website
Stronger programs: Industrial Design, Drawing, Printmaking, Illustration, Animation is small ut growing
What they want in a portfolio: Basics, Examples of figure, form, lighting, observation - but also creativity, examples of sketchbooks and so on.
Simple statistics/information: http://www.aicad.org/profiles/MIAD_profile.pdf
General comments: Small school population (600-800) - great for class sizes, focused and personal attention with staff and great community for developing personal skills and directing your own goals with excellent support from the faculty.
Pro: Class sizes, first year focuses on foundations which covered everything from 2D to 3D elements of art, great community and competition from classmates, great faculty and school resources.
Con: School may be too small for some, without knowing what you want, some may feel lost or unguided, Or the first year may seem like a waste of time for those who want to start their major right away.
Anything else: So far I've been guided by some great faculty and have made some really great connections with fellow classmates, I've learned a lot so far about what I want to do with not only myself but my art, and how I can direct and control how that grows.

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Claire Voyant

Thanks for contributing! Definitely a useful link. I think I'll temporarily keep the link in the first post rather than in the second because I'm trying not to disturb electricapples too much blaugh

IRL Genius

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Would Devry University be a good choice to partake in a Multimedia design and development degree? I got accepted into the school and am scheduled to enroll in the summer, but unfortunately I'm a bit iffy due to all the bad reviews behind the school. I want to inevitably become a game artist. What are everyone's views on it?

Rich Ladykiller

Miku_Ayawei
Would Devry University be a good choice to partake in a Multimedia design and development degree? I got accepted into the school and am scheduled to enroll in the summer, but unfortunately I'm a bit iffy due to all the bad reviews behind the school. I want to inevitably become a game artist. What are everyone's views on it?
DeVry is for profit, I believe. I'd avoid it if you could.

IRL Genius

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kaeth

All, if not most of those art schools listed on the first page, in fact most art schools are for profit, so what would be your justification for them?

Rich Ladykiller

Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth

All, if not most of those art schools listed on the first page, in fact most art schools are for profit, so what would be your justification for them?
No... they're not.

IRL Genius

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kaeth
Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth

No... they're not.

Yeah they are, all the art institutes are for profit, and I even researched the academy of art, its for profit. The art institute in LA is $518 per credit.

Fashionable Lunatic

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth
Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth

No... they're not.

Yeah they are, all the art institutes are for profit, and I even researched the academy of art, its for profit. The art institute in LA is $518 per credit.
User ImageUser Image

......... The Art Institutes are bad schools, and is fairly common knowledge in the AD that they are for profit/just want your money and don't care about you. The Art Institute of Chicago on the first page, however, is NOT part of the AI's you're talking about. Completely different school, it just has a similar name.

Rich Ladykiller

Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth
Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth

No... they're not.

Yeah, the Art Institutes (AIs) are for profit, with the exception of the Art Institute of Boston and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (listed as Art Institute of Chicago on the first page) - they are different, independent, non-profit institutions. (By the way, no AIs are listed on the first page.)

Just because the AIs are for profit, though, and there are a lot of them, doesn't mean all art schools are for profit. The AIs are notorious for being of middling quality; they're hardly proper art schools. Real art schools are generally nonprofit, with the notable exception being SCAD.

In general, "nonprofit" doesn't mean that the school won't charge you for taking classes at the school. Every school does this - how else could they run? It just means that they're not trying to make money off the school; they're not a subsidiary of a company.

IRL Genius

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
link freak131
User ImageUser Image

......... The Art Institutes are bad schools, and is fairly common knowledge in the AD that they are for profit/just want your money and don't care about you. The Art Institute of Chicago on the first page, however, is NOT part of the AI's you're talking about. Completely different school, it just has a similar name.

Ah I see, thank you for the info, but may I ask what you think of going to Devry U for pursuing in an art degree?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff