Welcome to Gaia! ::

des solo
Hey I'm in a split dilemma- I want to go to a college where the art instruction is strong, but I also want to major in one of the sciences. These are schools look awesome- this forum is really helpful and I've looked through a few.

However as art focused colleges, I'm not seeing anything else really offered but art classes. My mom made a point that it's a sort of silly to major in art since it's largely talent based, and I've heard when applying for jobs they look at your portfolio- not your school. But I'm still looking for good instructors, especially in animation or special effects.

By any chance does anyone know if any schools have a strong art program but offer the sciences as well?

If you want to major in science, you should not go to a school that specializes in art. There are many academic colleges that have a strong art program. Just note that a lot of academic colleges have shitty art programs. I have a friend at Goucher who complained to me that she's making elementary school level arts and crafts projects for her art class, for example.

Just note that getting a job in the art world is a lot easier when you go to an art school because they have a lot of connections.

Additionally, there are plenty of art colleges that are affiliated with nearby academic schools and allow you to take courses there or even a dual degree program. There's RISD/Brown, and MICA/Goucher/Johns Hopkins/etc. Those are the two I know off the top of my head, but chances are there are others that offer this as well.

Dapper Shapeshifter

Dolly Dahlia
des solo
Hey I'm in a split dilemma- I want to go to a college where the art instruction is strong, but I also want to major in one of the sciences. These are schools look awesome- this forum is really helpful and I've looked through a few.

However as art focused colleges, I'm not seeing anything else really offered but art classes. My mom made a point that it's a sort of silly to major in art since it's largely talent based, and I've heard when applying for jobs they look at your portfolio- not your school. But I'm still looking for good instructors, especially in animation or special effects.

By any chance does anyone know if any schools have a strong art program but offer the sciences as well?

If you want to major in science, you should not go to a school that specializes in art. There are many academic colleges that have a strong art program. Just note that a lot of academic colleges have shitty art programs. I have a friend at Goucher who complained to me that she's making elementary school level arts and crafts projects for her art class, for example.

Just note that getting a job in the art world is a lot easier when you go to an art school because they have a lot of connections.

Additionally, there are plenty of art colleges that are affiliated with nearby academic schools and allow you to take courses there or even a dual degree program. There's RISD/Brown, and MICA/Goucher/Johns Hopkins/etc. Those are the two I know off the top of my head, but chances are there are others that offer this as well.

Thanks a lot! I was wondering if there was any programs that allowed you to attend two colleges at once, and it's great to see that there's a way. I just feel that if I get normal studio art classes, I'll seriously miss out, especially when art is my passion.

Leaf

the relevantest.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
heart off to first page

Leaf

[******** yeah time to bump stuff
            Time to get some spam s**t off the front page.
ahhh this is an awesome thread! What a great resource. But SVA's not on here?

I just got accepted there, as well as Emily Carr.

Leaf

y u no first?
Kisaragi-Valentine
As horrifying as the OCAD building is...

Has anyone just nixed going there simply because of the -extremely- petty war of who's cooler than who?

I had a portfolio interview there when I was applying to universities (about 4 years ago, now), and even among the highschoolers applying there, the atmosphere was so volitile!

I was accepted with scholarships, but ended up turning down the offer to attend a slightly less cut-throat school. (which, by the way, ended up being a -fantastic- studio art program)

I agree, there's a little who's better then who, but now's the best time to go since our self-esteem as a school is being cut down by the possibility of being renamed the University of Imagination.

That cut throat attitude are from the high school students trying to get in. Once you actually get there every one is friendly and drugged up on sleep deprivation and caffeine.
Helloooo
Im planning to go to art school this year (2012-2013) and Im currently a senior in high school.
I've applied to SAIC, Otis, LCAD, and Pratt, and i've gotten into all of them except Pratt which I haven't heard back from yet. I'm mainly interested in digital art/animation/illustration but graphic design/web design/etc interests me as well...

SAIC is currently my favorite school. if anyone has information about what life is like there that would be great! I've never lived in a big city before either.. how is that? D: is it safe...? D;

Im mainly worried about costs... LCAD gave me $5,500 per year scholarship and it seems to be the more reasonably priced art school so far. I havent heard back from other schools for scholarships/grants yet

as for my portfolio.. its kind of different from your regular art portfolio..? Im not really sure. I put in lots of digital illustration stuff... most of them are kinda old actually..gah
if anyone is interested here is only the digital portion of my entire portfolio (not my traditional stuff)
click (blog post)
I did NOT put the second to last picture in my portfolio... i just stuck that in there :I im also very beginner at graphic design >____< eep i mainly just put those in there to add some variety...
oh god i feel so self conscious posting that >.< gahh

anyway this is a wonderful topic and i enjoy reading all the posts :'D yay art school!

Original Lunatic

*drags thread back to first page*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas