Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Codger

keiiii
Annie Felis
Man, who downvotes these topics? They're useful.

People who want to post art shops/ requests in AD, probably rofl

Or people who just don't like whomever started the resource topic. My inspiration/art exercises topic has gotten downvoted a bunch, and things like Fansub's life drawing topic or Zhevra's digital painting topic get downvoted too. Sometimes I think people like mashing that </3 button just to be little douchebags.

Aged Codger

Pulchritudinous Sin
QinniH
Pulchritudinous Sin
QinniH
I see my school tharrrr *whoot* 8D. sheridan ftw! xD;;. great guides though; i would suggest putting Gobelins here, but they're like...professional artist art-school lol.
a bit of their portfolio stuff

it's crazyyy. i really want to go there after i graduate sheridan, but....urghh it's in france and you have to speak fluent french D:

Another Sheridan person! surprised HI.

And yeah, I have considered Gobelins a few times, but I usually encountered two problems: That I've never noticed anyone from France in the AD (who would be able to contribute) and I'm unable to translate anything on the Gobelins website xd and yeah, having to speak fluent french as well. But I'll definitely link to it in the first post!

hi
i used google chrome which automatically put it through google translate

i can try to fill it out a little, even if i've never been to >.<:

Name of School Gobelins l'ecole de L'image★★★★✩
Paris, France

http://www.gobelins.fr/
Stronger programs: 2d and 3d Animation, design and production - animation.
requirements:
- Ages 18-25
- Hold at least a BA or general technology.
- fluent enough in french: must have Test Evaluation of the French PICC (level 3 or equivalent)
portfolio requirements include:a hand-drawn animation exercise, on site.
Example of accepted portfolio(s)/pieces:n/a
Simple statistics/information: Has affiliation with great animation schools and industry studios such as Cal-arts, Pixar, etc. Program has been running for over 30 years.
General comments: All the people that come out are absolutely amazing. they focus a lot on hand-drawn, 2d animation as well.
Pro: amazing school, amazingly talented students.
Con: french-fluency is a requirement. must have industry experience.
Anything else:

i wanna go *sob*

Edited in 2 days later 'cause I'm slow like that. cool
Thanks for the info!

Oh , just saw this post , if there's anything else you would want to translate in the site , you could ask me , I speak and read French fluently.

[ Trying to be somewhat helpful ]

I'm so glad you made this post , it has literally saved my life ! I'm surprised we even have " Art school " In Canada. [ Because we don't even have some in my province ]

Leaf

QinniH

Anything else:

i wanna go *sob*

this is the saddest, cutest thing to ever happen on gaia ever. heart
carolita
Pulchritudinous Sin
QinniH
Pulchritudinous Sin
QinniH
I see my school tharrrr *whoot* 8D. sheridan ftw! xD;;. great guides though; i would suggest putting Gobelins here, but they're like...professional artist art-school lol.
a bit of their portfolio stuff

it's crazyyy. i really want to go there after i graduate sheridan, but....urghh it's in france and you have to speak fluent french D:

Another Sheridan person! surprised HI.

And yeah, I have considered Gobelins a few times, but I usually encountered two problems: That I've never noticed anyone from France in the AD (who would be able to contribute) and I'm unable to translate anything on the Gobelins website xd and yeah, having to speak fluent french as well. But I'll definitely link to it in the first post!

hi
i used google chrome which automatically put it through google translate

i can try to fill it out a little, even if i've never been to >.<:

Name of School Gobelins l'ecole de L'image★★★★✩
Paris, France

http://www.gobelins.fr/
Stronger programs: 2d and 3d Animation, design and production - animation.
requirements:
- Ages 18-25
- Hold at least a BA or general technology.
- fluent enough in french: must have Test Evaluation of the French PICC (level 3 or equivalent)
portfolio requirements include:a hand-drawn animation exercise, on site.
Example of accepted portfolio(s)/pieces:n/a
Simple statistics/information: Has affiliation with great animation schools and industry studios such as Cal-arts, Pixar, etc. Program has been running for over 30 years.
General comments: All the people that come out are absolutely amazing. they focus a lot on hand-drawn, 2d animation as well.
Pro: amazing school, amazingly talented students.
Con: french-fluency is a requirement. must have industry experience.
Anything else:

i wanna go *sob*

Edited in 2 days later 'cause I'm slow like that. cool
Thanks for the info!

Oh , just saw this post , if there's anything else you would want to translate in the site , you could ask me , I speak and read French fluently.

[ Trying to be somewhat helpful ]

I'm so glad you made this post , it has literally saved my life ! I'm surprised we even have " Art school " In Canada. [ Because we don't even have some in my province ]

Last I checked there were a few different art schools in Canada.... it just depends what you want to do as to where you look (and what your price point is) Though I can no longer attest for the Uof W's theatre and film being top notch since it's now changed drastically from when I was there.

ALSO oddly enough it wasn't until I went to Mount Royal in Calgary that I discovered design for theatre and film is not a college course like every other design course in Canada... it's a University only course and a lot of them are not listed as such and it's a hunt to find them. So seriously search everywhere because at the time Mount Royal sent their design students after 2 years to learn at a different University for the actual design after they 'learned construction'. And the University they were sending to when I looked it up at the time (Athabasca I think) and it was nowhere NEAR University of Winnipeg in the standings (U of W at the time was top 5 in Canada... top 10 in North America and that was including the Royal Conservatory for Theatre and all the Major art schools that have theatre and film courses)and I didn't need to learn how to swing a hammer for two years (farm girl that was not rubbing me the right way... and seriously the prof at MR said I would have to learn how to swing a hammer even though I knew how to build an entire house to code)
Nessane

Last I checked there were a few different art schools in Canada.... it just depends what you want to do as to where you look (and what your price point is) Though I can no longer attest for the Uof W's theatre and film being top notch since it's now changed drastically from when I was there.

ALSO oddly enough it wasn't until I went to Mount Royal in Calgary that I discovered design for theatre and film is not a college course like every other design course in Canada... it's a University only course and a lot of them are not listed as such and it's a hunt to find them. So seriously search everywhere because at the time Mount Royal sent their design students after 2 years to learn at a different University for the actual design after they 'learned construction'. And the University they were sending to when I looked it up at the time (Athabasca I think) and it was nowhere NEAR University of Winnipeg in the standings (U of W at the time was top 5 in Canada... top 10 in North America and that was including the Royal Conservatory for Theatre and all the Major art schools that have theatre and film courses)and I didn't need to learn how to swing a hammer for two years (farm girl that was not rubbing me the right way... and seriously the prof at MR said I would have to learn how to swing a hammer even though I knew how to build an entire house to code)

Actually I live in Quebec, which made my ' search for art school ' much more difficult , being the "Francophones who want to keep their culture so badly" , we have a entirely different education system. Thus , I did not know that I could apply to Uni yet , since we have cegep, which is kind of like an extensive 2 years pre-college courses [ Sometimes 3 years]. Most obviously, I searched for schools in my province , and found no ' Art School major' , only Uni which the Design course as an option and the U requires the cegep years [ And apparently no portfolio? ].

I'm just pretty damn confused because of Quebec's system compared to the rest of Canada because of the French to English translations.[ so please bear with me if I sound very ignorant]. Now that I know better , I did search for outside my province , and I did find some pretty decent schools I could go to, even then I'm pretty worried about how they are in reality , since can't just pop there to visit the schools. Canada ,why must you be so big ?

The north side seems to be more Art college populated.Hmm

Also , quick question , in most accepted portfolio's I saw , there was a majority of traditional media rather than digital , why ? Is it acceptable to submit digitally drawn artwork , if so , by what ratio ?

Also, some portfolios requirement demand a sketchbook, typically, how many pages must a sketchbook have ? And would it be okay to make a ' collage of sketches' for a sketchbook ?

Yes I'm a total noob.

Newbie Gaian

Miku_Ayawei
Kaeth
I'm sorry that what I said insulted you, but my intent was not to offend. You stated most art schools were for profit - which isn't true - so I tried to explain why that wasn't the case. There's absolutely no reason to get sensitive about that.

I know hardworking people are likely to do well wherever they happen to be, and it's clear to me that you've done a lot of research and have the skill and motivation to succeed. I just don't want anyone to get scammed.

Ah I see, sorry for the misunderstanding then. I'm going through a tough time with my decisions honestly. I don't want to be scammed but at the same time I can't keep playing safe either. As much as the school has a bad reputation, as link freak stated, I do want to give them a chance to redeem that reputation. Hopefully I'll find a job soon and maybe if Devry isn't cut out for me, I will transfer out to another art school. Thank you for your concern and advice~

The issue with a lot of those schools is the lack of ability to even fund the cost of it.

Examples like Phoenix, or AI - there have been many cases of students graduating and having the degree not uphold it's value - in terms of not being able to get a job decent enough with said degree to even pay it off.

Also, the bigger concern (In my opinion, this will depend on what you're seeking in school.) Is most of those for profit schools are non accredited. Which ultimately makes your credits worthless if you ever desire to transfer to another school. I'd honestly - if you could, seek a community college if you can (Again, I read in a previous post your options were limited.) But they usually don't cost too much - and at the very least - so long as they too are accredited you can knock out general credits like english, math, etc at a fraction of the cost - and transfer into a larger university.

I guess ultimately it's your choice - but I don't think it's wise to feel like you're cornered and stuck with one option. You may just come out to regret it later on. Sadly, education isn't free here - trust me, poor as hell here - but in this shitty economy and with bachelors degree sometimes not being enough anymore - this is an important investment.

Start looking up your resources for financial aid, pull up everything you can suck dry in terms of money, Fafsa, grants, scholarships, loans, even.

If you're making this choice because you've TRULY looked at other options and this is TRULY what you want - and not some "We'll see how it goes" then, wonderful, and I hope it works. But it's important to choose a school because you like it's message, how it serves you, and the community and learning you can get from it. NOT because it's "Nearby/cheap/"The only option" etc etc.

Either way, I wish you luck - and hope you find out what you want, if you're going to be spending the money, at least be doing something you're happy with.

/End rant

- This is one of the most resourceful topics that I've subscribed to. -
- Pulchritudinous Sin, thank you! -

Aged Codger

Still bumping to remove all the misplaced s**t off the front page.

Aged Codger

Bumping again, and adding something to the topic: if a school advertises on TV, you want no part of it. Good schools let you come to them. Scam schools spend money on commercials.
Does anyone have any reviews for UK Universities?

Thread dragging~

Beloved Dabbler

carolita

Also , quick question , in most accepted portfolio's I saw , there was a majority of traditional media rather than digital , why ? Is it acceptable to submit digitally drawn artwork , if so , by what ratio ?

Also, some portfolios requirement demand a sketchbook, typically, how many pages must a sketchbook have ? And would it be okay to make a ' collage of sketches' for a sketchbook ?

Yes I'm a total noob.

Definitely try to have more traditional media and only a few pieces of digital work (if any). They want to make sure you know the basics, otherwise there's nothing to build upon. 3nodding

As far as a sketchbook, I'm guessing they want to see your process as an artist, which would include quick little sketches, different stages of completion, etc... whereas the portfolio is more finished work. I'm sure you could always ask them for their specific idea of a sketchbook.

Beloved Dabbler

Aureilias

Thread dragging~

Don't know much about the rest of the schools, but right now I'm applying to the graduate program at the Glasgow School of Art. DEFINITELY check them out!! I'm working in animation, but their more traditional fields have a very good history and reputation.

Beloved Dabbler

Also, I don't know if anyone's interested, but there are also some bigger Universities that have programs. For example, at the University of Southern California, there's the Roski School of Fine Arts and also the School of Cinematic Arts, which houses the animation department. Just putting it out there in case anyone wanted more info on being an artist at a larger university, feel free to ask ninja
Archaelin
Aureilias

Thread dragging~

Don't know much about the rest of the schools, but right now I'm applying to the graduate program at the Glasgow School of Art. DEFINITELY check them out!! I'm working in animation, but their more traditional fields have a very good history and reputation.

Lol, Looking for something a little closer to home but it probably would've helped to say that though XD
I'll check out their website anyway but I'm literally on the other side of the country.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff