Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just a small town girl...

Living in a lonely world 0.40425531914894 40.4% [ 57 ]
He to the midnight train going any-PONPON WEIWEI 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 18 ]
I thought this poll was going to relate to the topic 0.063829787234043 6.4% [ 9 ]
Why do this for the gold? You don't even get that much 0.042553191489362 4.3% [ 6 ]
GIRL CHARACTERS SUCK (lookie here relation to the topic) 0.028368794326241 2.8% [ 4 ]
BOY CHARACTERS SUCK 0.021276595744681 2.1% [ 3 ]
EVERY CHARACTER SUCKS IF THEY'RE WRITTEN POORLY 0.19148936170213 19.1% [ 27 ]
I am apathetic to everything. 0.12056737588652 12.1% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 141 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

arawn513
The reason that I would give is that girls are jealous of the female characters. Based on the huge amount of self insert and author avatar fanfiction out there I cannot think of any other explanation.

^ I'm hoping this isn't being used as "all girls", because some of us aren't like that. I hate guys who hate girls in general because of those few obsessed fangirls and their yaoi pairings.

In fact, I prefer many female characters, and, like everyone else, it just feels sexist when people make the girl the weak, annoying character in a series and such. I can't say there's a girl in particular I hate, unless you count animes I hate all-together. You could say I'm more understanding for the characters and why they act that way, instead of seeing them as crybaby and going "What a wimp!" instead of continuing to learn about them to find out how they saw their entire village burned down in front of their eyes. I mean, come on, put yourself in the characters shoes. If you experience what they do...

If there's one anime that I could say that had amazing female characters, I'd have to say Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Yes, it's a short series. But the characters are more developed than many other animes with over 400 episodes. The girls aren't whiny and useless (Well, Madoka kind of is but when you see someone's HEAD BITTEN OFF... I think she kind of has a reason to be disturbed and whiny.)

I know there's some girls who seem really annoying because they're obsessed with something (I'm looking at you, Yuno.) but I think it's justified if there's good reason for it, such as Yuno being in love with Yukki, and also insane at the same time because of living in a cage a lot of her childhood. I mean, if you were in your situation and someone was there for you and made you happy.. How far would you go to be with them again, and be happy again?

As for yaoi shipping, I admit I used to like it, but I would never hate another character because they ruined a ship or anything. In fact, I hate yaoi now, because I think it's stupid. I prefer canon pairings.

Just my two cents. inb4 guys go "LOL IF YOU HATE YAOI AND YOU'RE A GIRL ON THE INTERNET YOU MUST BE A GUY" good lord, they think we're annoying...
Because most female anime fans are socially outcast manchildren with personal vendettas against the pretty girls at their schools due to your run of the mill b***h-bullying and/or their closer relationships with the school's handsome guys.
Basically "I hate myself so I'll love/hate this 2D character who can't do anything to harm me"

And I guess the Japanese are pretty sexist.

Devoted Miko

I can kind of sympathize with a small percentage of the female character hating that is so prominent these days.
I too get sick and tired of steriotypical, idiotic, big-breasted, and altogether annoying female characters. Who isn't going to get annoyed with them at some point?
I can't deal with people hating on fully rounded female characters with actual inteligence and a non-mary-sue backstory.

3,650 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Absolutely Graceless
arawn513
The reason that I would give is that girls are jealous of the female characters. Based on the huge amount of self insert and author avatar fanfiction out there I cannot think of any other explanation.

^ I'm hoping this isn't being used as "all girls", because some of us aren't like that. I hate guys who hate girls in general because of those few obsessed fangirls and their yaoi pairings.

In fact, I prefer many female characters, and, like everyone else, it just feels sexist when people make the girl the weak, annoying character in a series and such. I can't say there's a girl in particular I hate, unless you count animes I hate all-together. You could say I'm more understanding for the characters and why they act that way, instead of seeing them as crybaby and going "What a wimp!" instead of continuing to learn about them to find out how they saw their entire village burned down in front of their eyes. I mean, come on, put yourself in the characters shoes. If you experience what they do...

If there's one anime that I could say that had amazing female characters, I'd have to say Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Yes, it's a short series. But the characters are more developed than many other animes with over 400 episodes. The girls aren't whiny and useless (Well, Madoka kind of is but when you see someone's HEAD BITTEN OFF... I think she kind of has a reason to be disturbed and whiny.)

I know there's some girls who seem really annoying because they're obsessed with something (I'm looking at you, Yuno.) but I think it's justified if there's good reason for it, such as Yuno being in love with Yukki, and also insane at the same time because of living in a cage a lot of her childhood. I mean, if you were in your situation and someone was there for you and made you happy.. How far would you go to be with them again, and be happy again?

As for yaoi shipping, I admit I used to like it, but I would never hate another character because they ruined a ship or anything. In fact, I hate yaoi now, because I think it's stupid. I prefer canon pairings.

Just my two cents. inb4 guys go "LOL IF YOU HATE YAOI AND YOU'RE A GIRL ON THE INTERNET YOU MUST BE A GUY" good lord, they think we're annoying...

I am not trying to hate on female fans in general. I simply mean that the ones who tend to be most vocal in hating female characters tend to be of this type, either from jealousy or because they disturb the favorite pairing of the person in question. My response was purely involving the topic of this discussion. I understand that there are exceptions and that not all girl fans are like that.

Cute Punk

A lot of the ones I hate are the meek, shy girls who obviously have crushes and don't act upon on or are too determined when they'll fail obviously. It feels like a cheap shot to make you feel sorry for them and I hate that in characters.

I just can't stand glasses on girls in anime either, I don't understand why but it's one of my biggest hate factors. If they have glasses, don't care how kickass they are I won't like them.

I also hate b***h characters who beat up on their potential love interests. I can tolerate yanderes but most tsunderes I don't care for. Alice from Pandora Hearts is one of my least favorites. She beats Oz all the time and I just want to punt her. I don't care about how sad her past is, for me it's just a way to cover up her bitchy side.

Also, this kinda falls in the glasses thing but I hate moe girls. I just can't stand them.

I prefer the neutral, kinda just there girls who don't really show emotion or yanderes. I ADORE yanderes. For me it's just I hate characters who I feel like need an excuse to be a b***h or are 'too cute' to be considered anything but pure. Give me a raw pyschopath like Yuno from Mirai Nikki who doesn't hide she's batshit insane or Mei Misaki from Another who shows little emotion at all but is genuinely a sweet character. I'll take them over the other types. =w=

Edited because of a big thing I forgot to add: I don't hate females getting in the way of my yaoi unless it's a big ship like my Germany x North Italy from Hetalia which thankfully there is no females who get in the way but I'm chill. If a chick did interupt my GerIta though I'd be a grump but that's the only pairing I defend in terms of cockblocking from females.

Invisible Genius

4,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Absolutely Graceless

The Love that Lasts the Longest...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Say something new!
I have nothing left...
I can't face the DARK without you!

Meh, I think that makes you a badass. > razz
There's nothing left to lose..!
The fight never ends!!
I can't face the DARK without you!

...Is the One that can never be.
I agree that a significant portion of the antipathy toward female characters probably stems from a sense of jealousy and/or anger at the ways in which a character might be positioned to interfere with a favored pairing.

However, I suspect that it also simply easier to "hate" on a female character. For every conceivable classification of female that I can imagine, there is a corresponding negative stereotype. Is the character cute, sweet-natured, adorably clumsy, generous of soul? Then her detractors will call her 'weak', 'stupid', and 'naive'. (e.g. Honda Tohru.) Is the character rash, headstrong, or outspoken? Then her detractors will call her a 'b***h'. (e.g. Korra, albeit, not from an anime.) Is the male lead in love with her? Well, goddamn, isn't she a conniving whore? It's simply too easy to locate a negative stereotype for a female character that makes you uncomfortable for any reason, and most media consumers will never feel the need to think beyond their first, instinctive reaction.

I was initially shocked at the level of animosity female consumers tend to have toward other females in media, but it seems to be a fairly common phenomenon. I mean, just look at the controversy surrounding female celebrities and their bodies. Realistically, they probably look better than most ordinary women, but the layperson certainly loves to hate on any perceived aberration from the ideal. (Whatever the idea is supposed to be. Damned if I know, sometimes.)

Dapper Cat

I used to have hatred for female characters, but I mellowed out once I got older.

Now I'm either indifferent towards them or I like them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff