Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just a small town girl...

Living in a lonely world 0.40425531914894 40.4% [ 57 ]
He to the midnight train going any-PONPON WEIWEI 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 18 ]
I thought this poll was going to relate to the topic 0.063829787234043 6.4% [ 9 ]
Why do this for the gold? You don't even get that much 0.042553191489362 4.3% [ 6 ]
GIRL CHARACTERS SUCK (lookie here relation to the topic) 0.028368794326241 2.8% [ 4 ]
BOY CHARACTERS SUCK 0.021276595744681 2.1% [ 3 ]
EVERY CHARACTER SUCKS IF THEY'RE WRITTEN POORLY 0.19148936170213 19.1% [ 27 ]
I am apathetic to everything. 0.12056737588652 12.1% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 141 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Demonic Vampire

I Shall Grant You NoMercy
Prince Siegfried
I Shall Give You NoMercy
Well gee, thats not sexist at all. neutral
Sorry to breck it to you hon, but guys can fall into the SAME categorys that you listed as well.
Now stop acting like every single female on the planet is stupid and horrible and that men are the only important, strong, human beings.
Also, I can name TEN strong, amazing female characters on the top of my head. So sorry... WRONG there again.
You dont seem very bright though, so Ill stop here, but you need to get your mind out of the 1950s gutter, hmmmm? And cut that sexist behavor out too, you're embrasssing all actual females here.
rolleyes
Prince Siegfried
Okay this is what I see when I look at female characters. And I will do my best to keep my thoughts organized. please excuse my bad spelling Im dyslexic and spell check can only do so much

Female characters are generic
Whale male characters range from a great number of personalitys, backgrounds, and quirks female characters seem to fall into a few categories.

The Merry Sue, An average school girl who is unpopular with boys, not especially smart, clumsy, may be nerdy, and usually spends her time chasing after or oogoling boys. She is just a representation of how the average teen girl views her self.
Strong and sexy: often use large weapons, often has large breasts, always scantily clad, usually a dominatrix like attitude. not much else to be said here
the mega b***hshe is always a supporting character to an immature male. her job is just to be the lecturing b***h and or to keep in line the lead male. in other words needs protected)
The moe eye candy: she is just there to get her skirt blown up. She is usually VERY stupid. almost retarded seeming. She often dose not know to keep her clothes on or if she dose she always finds a way to loose them. She takes moe to the extreme. She often gets hurt by the enemy and I can even picture her tossing herself in the way of an attack ment for the main male.

there are one or two more that I dont feel like getting into right now I may edit and add them later). But you get my point

The point is that it is very rare to find a female character with any real depth and what is really the worst part is that this often happens with minoritys that they are portrayed in just a few stereotypical ways. But since when, I ask you, is female a minority.

It just saddens me that so many characters can be put into just 4 categories. I would make a better character than any of those fake overused personalitys and I am pretty boring,

You ask why I hate female characters, Its because the people who write them dont even like them. They dont even have a sole or a real personality. Were are the light yagamis or Ls of the female world, were are the Xerxes Breaks .or the Seshomarus

I am not saying that I hate all female characters but I do hate most of them

the point is not that only female characters are generic, I can name many male characters that are. And I hate them. The point is that Few female characters are not generic. I do not hate good female characters, I just like to see some good writing, back stories, trying situations that they can overcome and grow. These are just generalizations about generic female characters. I have a pretty big problem with anything I can predict before it happens. If for example I see a pattern in a story line than the series if dead for me. Yes some men fit loosely into the same categories but not so tightly or so commonly. Because men don't always have to be portrayed as week, naked, or both.

Also sweet heart, I don't think I ever said sexist. I just think they're unlikable.

Have you actually SEEN actual anime that wasn't made in the late 80s? neutral
There's TON of amazing female characters, (and a lot of them are from mainstream stuff mind you,) so I'm just going to guess that you barley watch any recent stuff, or completly look over it for...whatever reason. Just go to the "best female anime character" thread that's on here, (should be on page 1 or 2) and you'll see a bunch that arn't ANYTHING like you described.
So sorry babe, you're wrong there.
But it's okay. I'm nice and I'll forgive you. 4laugh

look these are just generalizations as I said. And as I have said SO many times I don't hate them all. I like Winry from Full metal alchemist even if she could be put into the category of typical screamy character.She just has a kind of charm, I like Alice from Pandora Hearts even though one could say she is just another example of another unintelligent female who acts like a child and needs to be watched like one. I like Kagome from inuyasha even though she may be a bit of a Merry Sue. The stuff I cant stand it's when I start to watch what should be a really cool anime and idk..... Like Gantz and the girls who is like (oh can I be your pet) or clannad were all the girls act like 4 year olds, Or high school of the dead, Witch I was so excited for because I love zombies and than It's just full of girls with skirts that get pushed up at every opportunity and really stupid chicks with exaggeratedly Hugh boobs. And how about Death Note, with misa being like (oh light you can use me abuse me cut my life span in half and date other girls as long as you love me).

I am not saying that Cool female chatacters don't exist. What I am really saying is that I is not uncommon for me to drop an anime that should be cool just because the female characters are that frustrating.

Demonic Vampire

Knitters
Prince Siegfried
EDITED
Okay this is what I see when I look at female characters. And I will do my best to keep my thoughts organized. please excuse my bad spelling I'm dyslexic and spell check can only do so much

Female characters are generic
Whale male characters range from a great number of personalitys, backgrounds, and quirks female characters seem to fall into a few categories.

The Merry Sue, An average school girl who is unpopular with boys, not especially smart, clumsy, may be nerdy, and usually spends her time chasing after or oogoling boys. She is just a representation of how the average teen girl views her self.
Strong and sexy: often use large weapons, often has large breasts, always scantily clad, usually a dominatrix like attitude. not much else to be said here
the mega b***hshe is always a supporting character to an immature male. her job is just to be the lecturing b***h and or to keep in line the lead male. (in other words needs protected)
The moe eye candy: she is just there to get her skirt blown up. She is usually VERY stupid. almost retarded seeming. She often dose not know to keep her clothes on or if she dose she always finds a way to loose them. She takes moe to the extreme. She often gets hurt by the enemy and I can even picture her tossing herself in the way of an attack ment for the main male.
(in other words needs protected) <<<this belongs down here

there are one or two more that I don't feel like getting into right now (I may edit and add them later). But you get my point

Edit: I am just going to reiterate that I don't hate all female characters that I just hater the ones that are weak, stupid, nude, have unrealistic proportions. And I simply have trouble being fanatical over characters who are uncomplex, have no decent back stories, have no character development through out the series, or are only there to further the plot or agenda of another character.

The point is that it is very rare to find a female character with any real depth and what is really the worst part is that this often happens with minority's that they are portrayed in just a few stereotypical ways. But since when, I ask you, is female a minority.

It just saddens me that so many characters can be put into just 4 categories. I would make a better character than any of those fake overused personality's and I am pretty boring,

You ask why I hate female characters, It's because the people who write them don't even like them. They don't even have a sole or a real personality. Were are the light yagami's or L's of the female world, were are the Xerxes Break's .or the Seshomaru's

I am not saying that I hate all female characters but I do hate most of them

I kind of agree with you actually. I don`t understand why people are getting so hung up on your post. In a lot of animes that I have watched they usually fall under these categories.

But it I think if you looked a little bit harder you`d see that there are actually many well written female leads. Sailor Moon for example, may be a Mary Sue, but she has always been what the teenage girl could relate to. I also thought a Mary Sue was generally a fanficition term but I could be wrong. :O Whinry from FMA also holds a special place in my heart.

I understand though, I have seen MANY annoying female leads.

Yes I know that good female characters exist too, I like a few ^_^. I also like Whinry even though she is a little bit of the type who screams and lectures but she also has a down to earth charm. And I like Sailor Uranus a little better than sailor moon. Even though he name isn't very flattering lol but I guess someone had to be Uranus. And as for marry sue, I really have no idea were it cam from, I started hearing a lot it when every one started using the term to describe Bella Swan.
Prince Siegfried

Yes I know that good female characters exist too, I like a few ^_^. I also like Whinry even though she is a little bit of the type who screams and lectures but she also has a down to earth charm. And I like Sailor Uranus a little better than sailor moon. Even though he name isn't very flattering lol but I guess someone had to be Uranus. And as for marry sue, I really have no idea were it cam from, I started hearing a lot it when every one started using the term to describe Bella Swan.

Mary Sue is a term that originated from a horribly written Star Trek fanfiction that someone wrote. Basically it was a fanfic about a girl named Mary Sue who was "perfect" and all the men wanted her.

The term is now used to described characters who seem two dimensional personality wise and seem to have no flaws and are perfect at everything. Though people tend to misuse the term to describe annoying characters who do have flaws-- I guess because they fail at character analysis. It can also be used for male characters as well, but the term gets changed to "Gary Stu."

Demonic Vampire

Kitsuko Chii
Prince Siegfried

Mary Sue is a term that originated from a horribly written Star Trek fanfiction that someone wrote. Basically it was a fanfic about a girl named Mary Sue who was "perfect" and all the men wanted her.

The term is now used to described characters who seem two dimensional personality wise and seem to have no flaws and are perfect at everything. Though people tend to misuse the term to describe annoying characters who do have flaws-- I guess because they fail at character analysis. It can also be used for male characters as well, but the term gets changed to "Gary Stu."

That is really funny. I bet whoever wrote that fan fiction felt really bad that an internet term got named for there poor writing.
like others have said, it's a result of jealousy, shipping, and unrealistic expectations.
a girl character is wimpy and clingy? "annoying whiny b***h."
a male character is wimpy and clingy? "awww, he's so cute. poor baby, let me hug you. awww."

i always find myself liking the female characters that everyone else typically hates. it's a cruel world.

ヽ(´ー`)┌

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
For me. Its how useful the girl is and her personality and what she does.

For example I hated Lenalee from D Gray Man for the first half of the series. I thought she was annoying, stupid and I hated how she treated allen. That has more to do with the part in Mirandas arc where she hits him on the face when he tried to save the akuma and after when they went on the next mission together.

But in the asia arc where they are on the ship, she took on a level 3 akuma by herself and from there I loved her character. She became amazing.

Now I don't always hate the main girl. Sometimes I love them more than the main character. And sometimes I don't. I'm not gonna hate a girl character just cause I want to pair 2 of the boys together. But thats just me.

Good example. I love pairing yukiteru and akise from future diary together but I still adore yuno. She's my baby, gotta love her insanity.

But it all goes back to if I get a vibe and immediately the characters personality turns me off then I hate them. This goes for boys and girls. They can turn me around later but it doesn't happen often. 4laugh

rofl
There is also the fact that sometimes the female characters are given those traits that folks hate to set them up to grow and evolve past those issues or for some sort of big heroic moment as well. It depends on the series itself. Nodoka Miyazaki started off as a stereotypical shy girl that doesn't bring herself to talk to others. Akamatsu wrote her character that way to show her grow past that and be able to interact with others and be more honest with herself. I just finished Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls, and Juubei Yagyuu is a stereotypical moeblob with her mannerisms, including giving nicknames to others and being somewhat clumsy. That was used for the final episode when

(SPOILERS)

*She found out that she was an incomplete version of the more warrior version of herself that is awaken through a pact kiss with the lead character, Muneakira. She was told that Muneakira has released his true power of being a master general and that the incomplete version will be gone once another pact kiss is done. This was used later when complete Juubei found out that parts of the her incomplete version of herself still was around. This gave complete Juubei the chance to get a power upgrade with the two versions merged together and winning the final fight. By doing this manner of writing, it gave the complete Juubei the opportunity to understand how important things like friendship and love.*

Gh0r's Partner

Space Hunter

36,175 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Winter Warrior 50
yoiplait
like others have said, it's a result of jealousy, shipping, and unrealistic expectations.
a male character is wimpy and clingy? "awww, he's so cute. poor baby, let me hug you. awww."

i always find myself liking the female characters that everyone else typically hates. it's a cruel world.

ヽ(´ー`)┌

One of my favorite male characters is a total wimp, but he's just so adorable. If I see female characters like that, I think the same thing. "Oh, poor baby. Someone needs some self-confidence." I don't think they're annoying, whiny bitches. o:
Icy Rundas
yoiplait

ヽ(´ー`)┌

One of my favorite male characters is a total wimp, but he's just so adorable. If I see female characters like that, I think the same thing. "Oh, poor baby. Someone needs some self-confidence." I don't think they're annoying, whiny bitches. o:

ah, and who might that be? :0 i'm getting an idea, but i could be wayyyy off

but yeah, that's how people should be thinking.. crying
Maudragauda
Why do we hate female characters? More specifically why do female fans hate them (this is not a generalization, I am fully aware of the fans who don't do this (Gold Star for you), I am addressing the ones that do)?

Guess what: most anime is made for males. The characters are made to satisfy male preferences -> it isn't really intended for female viewers, they tend to dislike them. This is the same reason why male viewers find shoujo/josei manga characters generally unappealing ("Whoa, what a w***e", "damn, that guy is d**k" ).

Maudragauda
So why exactly is it mostly females? I see more female hatred than I do of male characters.
I understand that some characters personalities can be ridiculous and stupid, but are they worth gnashing your teeth and frothing at the mouth venomously?

Again: most anime/manga is made for males. Therefore there are usually more female characters in the cast than male characters, and they are more diverse characters than males, therefore there is a much bigger chance that someone will find a character that is antipathetic for him/her. Main characters are most of the times simple, self-insert characters or some boring clichéd ones, not worthy of mention -> people don't really care about them. Male side characters aren't too diverse either, they are often made likeable, in the end they are usually black or white characters, who usually fully support or fully oppose the main cast.

Maudragauda
Now, I'm well aware people have different views, and of course we all can't like everything or every character in a series, but why does it seem that hating female character is like a go to thing? It almost makes me think that people LOOK for reasons to hate that character.

It's just you. People hate male characters too.

Maudragauda
So I guess I'm trying to find the pathology behind it? Where does it start? Is it just an internet thing? Or is there something deeper behind jabbing and hating on a character so badly?
And usually I noticed some people have the same explanation for that hate.
"She's a b***h" What makes her a b***h?
"She's annoying" What makes her annoying?
"She's a slut/whore/skank" YOU GET THE FREAKING POINT!
Rarely do I see people giving explanation to their reason, just saying "(insert insult)" but never "(insert insult and explanation as to why)"

What exactly makes them want to hate them and sometimes so vehemently?

There is a thing called "taste". Different people like different things and dislike different things. It's that simple. Sometimes you can't explain why you like a certain character. The more intelligent people can express their views better and can explain why they like what they like or why they hate things they hate. It's a basic instinct that you want to protect, what you like. Some people do that more vehemently, and again intelligence makes you realize that there is no point arguing with other peoples tastes since everyone is different. Hating is just as stupid as defending the said FICTIONAL character. Stupidity, lack of tolerance and laziness usually result in unsubstantiated responses. Or it could be a group of trolls.

Maudragauda
I swear sometimes the way I've seen people react to female characters here, it makes me wonder if the character magically popped out of a TV/Computer Screen, killed their beloved pet, and then peed on their couch and everything they love.

Also since I'm probably going to get comments like "This is just how it's been and how it always will be", my question is WHY THOUGH? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY NOW AND FOREVER?

It's in the human nature.

Maudragauda
or "People hate things just because and that's how people are" my answer and question to you again is WHY THOUGH? Explain it to me, because I'm truly curious and I hope to have my thirst quenched I guess.

So there's my question and answer: WHY? JUST WHY?
WHY DO THEY HATE THEM SO MUCH? AND SOMETIMES IN SUCH A DRAMATIC AND OVER THE TOP FASHIONS?

Silly underage little boys and girls can't control their feelings and tend to blow the top just like you did now.

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Haonwell
Maudragauda
Why do we hate female characters? More specifically why do female fans hate them (this is not a generalization, I am fully aware of the fans who don't do this (Gold Star for you), I am addressing the ones that do)?

Guess what: most anime is made for males. The characters are made to satisfy male preferences -> it isn't really intended for female viewers, they tend to dislike them. This is the same reason why male viewers find shoujo/josei manga characters generally unappealing ("Whoa, what a w***e", "damn, that guy is d**k" ).

Maudragauda
So why exactly is it mostly females? I see more female hatred than I do of male characters.
I understand that some characters personalities can be ridiculous and stupid, but are they worth gnashing your teeth and frothing at the mouth venomously?

Again: most anime/manga is made for males. Therefore there are usually more female characters in the cast than male characters, and they are more diverse characters than males, therefore there is a much bigger chance that someone will find a character that is antipathetic for him/her. Main characters are most of the times simple, self-insert characters or some boring clichéd ones, not worthy of mention -> people don't really care about them. Male side characters aren't too diverse either, they are often made likeable, in the end they are usually black or white characters, who usually fully support or fully oppose the main cast.

Maudragauda
Now, I'm well aware people have different views, and of course we all can't like everything or every character in a series, but why does it seem that hating female character is like a go to thing? It almost makes me think that people LOOK for reasons to hate that character.

It's just you. People hate male characters too.

Maudragauda
So I guess I'm trying to find the pathology behind it? Where does it start? Is it just an internet thing? Or is there something deeper behind jabbing and hating on a character so badly?
And usually I noticed some people have the same explanation for that hate.
"She's a b***h" What makes her a b***h?
"She's annoying" What makes her annoying?
"She's a slut/whore/skank" YOU GET THE FREAKING POINT!
Rarely do I see people giving explanation to their reason, just saying "(insert insult)" but never "(insert insult and explanation as to why)"

What exactly makes them want to hate them and sometimes so vehemently?

There is a thing called "taste". Different people like different things and dislike different things. It's that simple. Sometimes you can't explain why you like a certain character. The more intelligent people can express their views better and can explain why they like what they like or why they hate things they hate. It's a basic instinct that you want to protect, what you like. Some people do that more vehemently, and again intelligence makes you realize that there is no point arguing with other peoples tastes since everyone is different. Hating is just as stupid as defending the said FICTIONAL character. Stupidity, lack of tolerance and laziness usually result in unsubstantiated responses. Or it could be a group of trolls.

Maudragauda
I swear sometimes the way I've seen people react to female characters here, it makes me wonder if the character magically popped out of a TV/Computer Screen, killed their beloved pet, and then peed on their couch and everything they love.

Also since I'm probably going to get comments like "This is just how it's been and how it always will be", my question is WHY THOUGH? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY NOW AND FOREVER?

It's in the human nature.

Maudragauda
or "People hate things just because and that's how people are" my answer and question to you again is WHY THOUGH? Explain it to me, because I'm truly curious and I hope to have my thirst quenched I guess.

So there's my question and answer: WHY? JUST WHY?
WHY DO THEY HATE THEM SO MUCH? AND SOMETIMES IN SUCH A DRAMATIC AND OVER THE TOP FASHIONS?

Silly underage little boys and girls can't control their feelings and tend to blow the top just like you did now.

I am well aware people have different tastes. It's just what I've noticed is how female characters do get more openly expressed disdain. Male characters do get hate, but not nearly as much from what I've noticed. I understand people having different preferences and tastes, that I can understand.
But its the unnecessary vitriolic hatred I don't understand when it comes to them.

I'm also aware how a lot of male oriented anime's are basically self inserted power fantasies.
And no it's not just me.
I am aware that people hate male characters, I never said they didn't. What I said is that people tend to be more open about female character's than male character's.
I've seen more threads talk about how much they dislike female character "x" than male character "y".
From what I can see now from this thread is that it comes from jealousy, expectations gone awry, shipping issues, and preferences.

The last part of my post you quoted was done to mock how people react when they describe their hatred in over the top fashion, it was supposed to come off as over the top.

Gh0r's Partner

Space Hunter

36,175 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Winter Warrior 50
yoiplait
Icy Rundas
yoiplait

ヽ(´ー`)┌

ah, and who might that be? :0 i'm getting an idea, but i could be wayyyy off

but yeah, that's how people should be thinking.. crying

Syrus Truesdale from Yugioh GX~

Familiar Dabbler

User ImageSimply put: the standers are higher for female characters than they are for males. If they're too strong, they get accused of being Mary-sues, but if they're not strong enough, fans call the work "sexist." It's sad and stupid, but true.
Tsundere Lori
Really depends on the person and on the series.

Particularly with female fans hating female characters are probably because they are so upset that a so-called "hot" guy is dating a "useless clumsy" chick instead with another "hot" guy. Or that they love to become attention whores and b***h about female characters because that female character is so much embarrassing that they are "ruining" the whole series.

I am going to throw the "jealously" card, because they are so jealous that another female is interrupting their wonderful daydream with their dream boy and that the female doesn't deserve her romantic interests because she does not fulfil her requirements for dating one.

Not like I care though, I never had any hateful emotions towards fictional characters any more and I actually end up loving a female character that ends up as an "annoying b***h" to the eyes of a possible Shojo fan/hater/whatever.

I find it hilarious that in FMA and FMAB and the FMA manga, people hate Winry just cuz she married Ed in the end. They say stupid things like, "She stole Edo!!!"

No...That's what Hiromu Arakawa wanted. She MADE the two get together in the end of the manga (and Brotherhood anime).
Roseflower52
User ImageSimply put: the standers are higher for female characters than they are for males. If they're too strong, they get accused of being Mary-sues, but if they're not strong enough, fans call the work "sexist." It's sad and stupid, but true.

Wow...So if I have a few female characters in my future book that just happen to be a little stronger than the others, they're mary sues, even if they have flaws and wants and likes and dislikes? Some characters are stronger than others. Some of mine are weaker than others, but even the weaker ones get their shining points.

It IS stupid. You're right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces