Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just a small town girl...

Living in a lonely world 0.40425531914894 40.4% [ 57 ]
He to the midnight train going any-PONPON WEIWEI 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 18 ]
I thought this poll was going to relate to the topic 0.063829787234043 6.4% [ 9 ]
Why do this for the gold? You don't even get that much 0.042553191489362 4.3% [ 6 ]
GIRL CHARACTERS SUCK (lookie here relation to the topic) 0.028368794326241 2.8% [ 4 ]
BOY CHARACTERS SUCK 0.021276595744681 2.1% [ 3 ]
EVERY CHARACTER SUCKS IF THEY'RE WRITTEN POORLY 0.19148936170213 19.1% [ 27 ]
I am apathetic to everything. 0.12056737588652 12.1% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 141 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Although I myself am guilty of saying and playing off "If it exists, it is hated on the internet", but I myself have begun to wonder about something that I've noticed occurs far too often here and on other media forums (but I will not address those other forums just this one). Upon retrospect, maybe I should have addressed those threads more seriously, because they did take notice to a trend that's been going on for what's probably been years.

Why do we hate female characters? More specifically why do female fans hate them (this is not a generalization, I am fully aware of the fans who don't do this (Gold Star for you), I am addressing the ones that do)? I know this is the internet and vitriolic acid spews like the Niagara Falls on a summer storm, but my curiosity has finally gotten the best of me much to my disdain but this monkey on my back is not going to leave until I do this, so bear with me.

So why exactly is it mostly females? I see more female hatred than I do of male characters.
I understand that some characters personalities can be ridiculous and stupid, but are they worth gnashing your teeth and frothing at the mouth venomously?

Now, I'm well aware people have different views, and of course we all can't like everything or every character in a series, but why does it seem that hating female character is like a go to thing? It almost makes me think that people LOOK for reasons to hate that character.

So I guess I'm trying to find the pathology behind it? Where does it start? Is it just an internet thing? Or is there something deeper behind jabbing and hating on a character so badly?
And usually I noticed some people have the same explanation for that hate.
"She's a b***h" What makes her a b***h?
"She's annoying" What makes her annoying?
"She's a slut/whore/skank" YOU GET THE FREAKING POINT!
Rarely do I see people giving explanation to their reason, just saying "(insert insult)" but never "(insert insult and explanation as to why)"

What exactly makes them want to hate them and sometimes so vehemently?

I swear sometimes the way I've seen people react to female characters here, it makes me wonder if the character magically popped out of a TV/Computer Screen, killed their beloved pet, and then peed on their couch and everything they love.

Also since I'm probably going to get comments like "This is just how it's been and how it always will be", my question is WHY THOUGH? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY NOW AND FOREVER?

or "People hate things just because and that's how people are" my answer and question to you again is WHY THOUGH? Explain it to me, because I'm truly curious and I hope to have my thirst quenched I guess.

So there's my question and answer: WHY? JUST WHY?
WHY DO THEY HATE THEM SO MUCH? AND SOMETIMES IN SUCH A DRAMATIC AND OVER THE TOP FASHIONS?

Demonic Vampire

okay I'm about to write a really really long explanation of why I do so just hold on a while

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
TheBlueDanubeSchiff
Quote:
AMC a s**t

As long as newfags are unchecked the tremendous faggotry in this forum will continue to exist.

That's pretty sad, even sadder that I almost agree.
Makes me wonder if a new set of rules and regulations should be made, not to tell them that they can't hate but to not go rabid either, but that might cause more problems fix.

Golden Spark

Really depends on the person and on the series.

Particularly with female fans hating female characters are probably because they are so upset that a so-called "hot" guy is dating a "useless clumsy" chick instead with another "hot" guy. Or that they love to become attention whores and b***h about female characters because that female character is so much embarrassing that they are "ruining" the whole series.

I am going to throw the "jealously" card, because they are so jealous that another female is interrupting their wonderful daydream with their dream boy and that the female doesn't deserve her romantic interests because she does not fulfil her requirements for dating one.

Not like I care though, I never had any hateful emotions towards fictional characters any more and I actually end up loving a female character that ends up as an "annoying b***h" to the eyes of a possible Shojo fan/hater/whatever.

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

My theory is, is that the root of all of this hate is jealously. Go on any ANIME GURLZ SUUUCK!!1!1 fourm and youll see about 90 percent of the posters are female. I think, deep down, theree insanely jeloues of the character for being pretty, big breasted, cute, getting the guy, etc.

I know some female characters are generally annoying, but not every single one is. So when someone says I DONT LEIK ANY FEMALE ANIMZ CHARACTERS!1!1! I cant help but roll my eyes. rolleyes
Most of this petty hate comes from slut-shaming, hardcore, weeaboos though, so I go on my way, knowing that they will grow out of it someday and carry on with my life.

Liberal Smoker

5,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
We females will take any chance we can to larp mean girls.
Even imaginary mean girls.

Dapper Informer

There are many, many reasons why female characters are hated.

1. Over-identification
Some female watchers like to self-insert. If female character doesn't do what they think they should do, then they're bad. There's also the fact that, if said character reacts in a realistic manner in hard situations, they hate them. People hate faults that they see in themselves the most. Indecisiveness, panic, depression, etc. But if they don't have enough faults, they're a "Mary Sue."

2. Jealousy
As it's been mentioned before, some female fans are jealous of female characters that are close to the male character. They don't "deserve them" or some variation.

3. Shipping
If there's one thing this fandom does, it's ship. Especially between two males. If a female character gets in the way of one of these pairings: "b***h."

4. Unrealistic Standards (Ties into over-identification)
There are, somehow, hundreds of teeny-tiny standards that a female character must adhere too. They get mad too often? b***h.
Sad too often? Cry-baby weakling.
Conflicts about love? Whore.

Many female fans can't find a happy medium. If she's too strong/love MARY SUE MARY SUE MARY SUE. If she's too weak s**t CHARACTER s**t CHARACTER s**t CHARACTER.

Also, I think that people are naturally suited to cater more and be more lenient to the opposite gender.

If a girl's controlling, she's a b***h. Guy's controlling, oh baby.
Guys can't stand to see sparkly men shirtless, and most girls hate panty shots.

I had a friend IRL who, when a guy friend would tease her in a certain way, she'd laugh and be totally okay with it, but if I tried to joke, I'd get yelled at.

AND THEN

Japanese standards for women are noticeably different from western standards. See Yamato Nadeshiko. Strong, independent women aren't necessarily what is wanted. Beautiful, meek, modest and obedient women are pretty much seen as ideal.

TL; DR: Women are hated because they're women. I like most female characters, to be honest. It's very rare when I can't stand one.

Fashionable Dabbler

I'd also have to play the jealousy card, because the 'useless clumsy girl' still gets the guy and neither useless nor clumsy ever works for them in RL. Or because the bitchy character is still pretty and may not get the main male lead, but will land a guy regardless, and that never works for them either. cat_stare

Demonic Vampire

EDITED
Okay this is what I see when I look at female characters. And I will do my best to keep my thoughts organized. please excuse my bad spelling I'm dyslexic and spell check can only do so much

Female characters are generic
Whale male characters range from a great number of personalitys, backgrounds, and quirks female characters seem to fall into a few categories.

The Merry Sue, An average school girl who is unpopular with boys, not especially smart, clumsy, may be nerdy, and usually spends her time chasing after or oogoling boys. She is just a representation of how the average teen girl views her self.
Strong and sexy: often use large weapons, often has large breasts, always scantily clad, usually a dominatrix like attitude. not much else to be said here
the mega b***hshe is always a supporting character to an immature male. her job is just to be the lecturing b***h and or to keep in line the lead male. (in other words needs protected)
The moe eye candy: she is just there to get her skirt blown up. She is usually VERY stupid. almost retarded seeming. She often dose not know to keep her clothes on or if she dose she always finds a way to loose them. She takes moe to the extreme. She often gets hurt by the enemy and I can even picture her tossing herself in the way of an attack ment for the main male.
(in other words needs protected) <<<this belongs down here

there are one or two more that I don't feel like getting into right now (I may edit and add them later). But you get my point

Edit: I am just going to reiterate that I don't hate all female characters that I just hater the ones that are weak, stupid, nude, have unrealistic proportions. And I simply have trouble being fanatical over characters who are uncomplex, have no decent back stories, have no character development through out the series, or are only there to further the plot or agenda of another character.

The point is that it is very rare to find a female character with any real depth and what is really the worst part is that this often happens with minority's that they are portrayed in just a few stereotypical ways. But since when, I ask you, is female a minority.

It just saddens me that so many characters can be put into just 4 categories. I would make a better character than any of those fake overused personality's and I am pretty boring,

You ask why I hate female characters, It's because the people who write them don't even like them. They don't even have a sole or a real personality. Were are the light yagami's or L's of the female world, were are the Xerxes Break's .or the Seshomaru's

I am not saying that I hate all female characters but I do hate most of them
i agree with some of the last few posts , most of the time its jelosy. like how some girls i talk to, they talk about how hot "jhon doe-san" is and it makes me feel bad by contrast.

but really is because male characters can be total bastards and get away with it because it defines them. like shou tucker from fma, i don't see anyone bad mouthing him.

i guess it really is because the female character in a major media form is so fragile that they can't be to much of one thing in fear of the feminazis or some womens rights group. also most anime girls are directed to be appealing to male fans for obvious reasons. but really its because of a double standard that most female characters can be hated because most male fans won't get uptight when people talk bad about them. but when male characters that have alot of female fans get talked bad about they get defended by a fury of fan girls getting uptight about it when it is not needed.
To that someone who tried to label female characters in group....you do know you can do the same with the male characters? You can have characters like the loud braggart, the cold and aloof character, the shameless pervert, honor and tradition, and so forth. If you're going to label female characters, it's only fair you do the same with male characters.

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

Well gee, thats not sexist at all. neutral
Sorry to breck it to you hon, but guys can fall into the SAME categorys that you listed as well.
Now stop acting like every single female on the planet is stupid and horrible and that men are the only important, strong, human beings.
Also, I can name TEN strong, amazing female characters on the top of my head. So sorry... WRONG there again.
You dont seem very bright though, so Ill stop here, but you need to get your mind out of the 1950s gutter, hmmmm? And cut that sexist behavor out too, you're embrasssing all actual females here.
rolleyes
Prince Siegfried
Okay this is what I see when I look at female characters. And I will do my best to keep my thoughts organized. please excuse my bad spelling Im dyslexic and spell check can only do so much

Female characters are generic
Whale male characters range from a great number of personalitys, backgrounds, and quirks female characters seem to fall into a few categories.

The Merry Sue, An average school girl who is unpopular with boys, not especially smart, clumsy, may be nerdy, and usually spends her time chasing after or oogoling boys. She is just a representation of how the average teen girl views her self.
Strong and sexy: often use large weapons, often has large breasts, always scantily clad, usually a dominatrix like attitude. not much else to be said here
the mega b***hshe is always a supporting character to an immature male. her job is just to be the lecturing b***h and or to keep in line the lead male. in other words needs protected)
The moe eye candy: she is just there to get her skirt blown up. She is usually VERY stupid. almost retarded seeming. She often dose not know to keep her clothes on or if she dose she always finds a way to loose them. She takes moe to the extreme. She often gets hurt by the enemy and I can even picture her tossing herself in the way of an attack ment for the main male.

there are one or two more that I dont feel like getting into right now I may edit and add them later). But you get my point

The point is that it is very rare to find a female character with any real depth and what is really the worst part is that this often happens with minoritys that they are portrayed in just a few stereotypical ways. But since when, I ask you, is female a minority.

It just saddens me that so many characters can be put into just 4 categories. I would make a better character than any of those fake overused personalitys and I am pretty boring,

You ask why I hate female characters, Its because the people who write them dont even like them. They dont even have a sole or a real personality. Were are the light yagamis or Ls of the female world, were are the Xerxes Breaks .or the Seshomarus

I am not saying that I hate all female characters but I do hate most of them

Dangerous Visionary

(saves her space)

The TLDR version shall be: Because we are trained to hate on other females. Since being female is a damn if you do damn if you don't battle.

Edit: I'm probably gonna to end up on the second page but yeah I'll get back to this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff