Welcome to Gaia! ::

Toxic Fox

AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
isn't DA:O the original? I thought it was...
my cousin has it and said it wasn't all that good. I'm a big fan of customization, and he said it was really lacking.
I thought there was another one, guess not. It is awkward for a game to be called origins when there is not another game in the series before so I was guessing there had to have been a regular Dragon Age. It is true that customization is a little restricted, but it was the freedom I had with the plot and with party selection that was what got me liking it. I also liked the quests in The Fade.
I have and read the strategy guide, and I do agree the plot flexibility is interesting, but overall it doesn't really interest me. I much prefer Oblivion to DA:O.
Other than customization is there anything about Oblivion that stands out in particular? I did not get to play it-I was planning on borrowing it from my brother, but did not get to.
it's completely open-world, so as soon as you exit the tutorial area, the entire world is fair game. also, there's no real class limitations, so any character can use any skill, regardless of chosen class. plays more like a shooter/action game because of the mechanics. toggle between 1st and 3rd person play.
I am going to have to talk to my brother about borrowing it then-when I saw him play he was not very good about showing how flexible the game was. He just wanted to have the character be tough. One of the drawbacks of a lot of RPGs is how rigid the character system seems to be-I remember in the first RPG series (might and magic) I really played a lot that it was annoying how restricted the characters seemed to be in terms of abilities (the magic part bugged me in particular). The use of magic is one of the things that I like best (I almost always select a mage class for my main character in any game) and there has to be some flexibility and creativity in the magic system-DA:O was quite creative however inflexible.
in Oblivion, they do magic based off of 6 schools. destruction (damage spells), illusion (charm, invisibility, etc.), mysticism (soul trap, life detection, etc), alteration (defensive spells, open lock), restoration (healing, buffs), and conjuration (summoning). every character has access to all 6, and only the level of the specific skill limits what you can cast. even a warrior can cast everything.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
I have and read the strategy guide, and I do agree the plot flexibility is interesting, but overall it doesn't really interest me. I much prefer Oblivion to DA:O.
Other than customization is there anything about Oblivion that stands out in particular? I did not get to play it-I was planning on borrowing it from my brother, but did not get to.
it's completely open-world, so as soon as you exit the tutorial area, the entire world is fair game. also, there's no real class limitations, so any character can use any skill, regardless of chosen class. plays more like a shooter/action game because of the mechanics. toggle between 1st and 3rd person play.
I am going to have to talk to my brother about borrowing it then-when I saw him play he was not very good about showing how flexible the game was. He just wanted to have the character be tough. One of the drawbacks of a lot of RPGs is how rigid the character system seems to be-I remember in the first RPG series (might and magic) I really played a lot that it was annoying how restricted the characters seemed to be in terms of abilities (the magic part bugged me in particular). The use of magic is one of the things that I like best (I almost always select a mage class for my main character in any game) and there has to be some flexibility and creativity in the magic system-DA:O was quite creative however inflexible.
in Oblivion, they do magic based off of 6 schools. destruction (damage spells), illusion (charm, invisibility, etc.), mysticism (soul trap, life detection, etc), alteration (defensive spells, open lock), restoration (healing, buffs), and conjuration (summoning). every character has access to all 6, and only the level of the specific skill limits what you can cast. even a warrior can cast everything.
Sounds cool, do you have to learn the spells in a sequence or is it any order within your skill level? DA: O is strict about the order you can use new spells and skills in, since you seem to learn them in steps, as you might know, though it is not nearly as rigid as a lot of other games-Diablo II, Dungeon Siege II, and King's Bounty: Armored Princess come to mind as being particularly rigid.

Toxic Fox

AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
Sounds cool, do you have to learn the spells in a sequence or is it any order within your skill level? DA: O is strict about the order you can use new spells and skills in, since you seem to learn them in steps, as you might know, though it is not nearly as rigid as a lot of other games-Diablo II, Dungeon Siege II, and King's Bounty: Armored Princess come to mind as being particularly rigid.
they have levels of proficiency for each spell type that limit how powerful of a spell you can cast, but generally speaking, you buy different spells, and even learn to make your own after a certain point. Oblivion has basic spell effects that only really differ in magnitude.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
they have levels of proficiency for each spell type that limit how powerful of a spell you can cast, but generally speaking, you buy different spells, and even learn to make your own after a certain point. Oblivion has basic spell effects that only really differ in magnitude.
Are the spell mixtures possible only within schools or can you create mixed spell types? I am thinking something like an illusion spell with a damage spell-that does something like damage and slow enemies down simultaneously. The closest I know to that in games I have played is when you merely use a spell as a combo from one or two players you control and of course item enchantments that cause the items to have magic effects. The change in skills from transforming in the fade was what I liked a lot in DA: O, since the different skills you can use in an alternate form really made a difference-the spirit spells I especially liked and I found switching between forms quickly to take advantage of ability changes to be useful from time to time.

Toxic Fox

AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
Are the spell mixtures possible only within schools or can you create mixed spell types? I am thinking something like an illusion spell with a damage spell-that does something like damage and slow enemies down simultaneously. The closest I know to that in games I have played is when you merely use a spell as a combo from one or two players you control and of course item enchantments that cause the items to have magic effects. The change in skills from transforming in the fade was what I liked a lot in DA: O, since the different skills you can use in an alternate form really made a difference-the spirit spells I especially liked and I found switching between forms quickly to take advantage of ability changes to be useful from time to time.
spells can be mixed across schools, but there's no slowing spell like you described. one of my favorite custom spells involves an invisibility spell mixed with a summon creature spell. you vanish, then a creature becomes the decoy while you set up for an attack or flee. not very many harmful spells aside from direct damage though.

High-functioning Nerd

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
spells can be mixed across schools, but there's no slowing spell like you described. one of my favorite custom spells involves an invisibility spell mixed with a summon creature spell. you vanish, then a creature becomes the decoy while you set up for an attack or flee. not very many harmful spells aside from direct damage though.
That spell sounds very useful though I can see some some alternate uses from the two you described-using it as a way to regenerate health/mana without leaving and if you can control the creature and have some sort of trap set out where you can trick enemies into while sacrificing the summon might be useful. It might be even better if there were some sort of possession spell to use on enemies with the invisibility-get one of your enemies to kill its own while you stand by. I am shocked the game does not have a slow spell-it is a very common spell in other games. Is there at least some sort of weakness spell related to it?

Toxic Fox

AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
AliKat1988
Fractured_Unity
That spell sounds very useful though I can see some some alternate uses from the two you described-using it as a way to regenerate health/mana without leaving and if you can control the creature and have some sort of trap set out where you can trick enemies into while sacrificing the summon might be useful. It might be even better if there were some sort of possession spell to use on enemies with the invisibility-get one of your enemies to kill its own while you stand by. I am shocked the game does not have a slow spell-it is a very common spell in other games. Is there at least some sort of weakness spell related to it?
spells like that wouldn't work with the real-time nature of the game. and there are no possession spells either. but yes, there are weakness spells. summons only follow you and get aggression towards enemies.

Toxic Fox

*posts pointlessly*

Toxic Fox

Toxic Fox

Toxic Fox

Toxic Fox

Toxic Fox

Toxic Fox

*waits for his best friend to come back, knowing she probably won't*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items