Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Elindranyth
Starrii
I think that planning should begin earlier, and that publicity really is needed. Because this is a user-run thing, there should also be more users involved, people think this is only for the elitist. You guys should have started the process around January, instead of March (though I know that not everyone is on 24/7, starting earlier can balance out the time more), and there should be a hiring thread that gets more then 10 people as staff (maybe 25?).

Also, encourage user-participation. With a simple, 'Post, talk, have fun or friends!' people will be more inclined to enjoy the ball. (: Also, host more contests, bumping contest, best dressed, official lottos, that sort of thing. It will make it much more interesting. ^-^

Planning a ball sounds fun. xD

Otherwise, this ball was a success. I just ask that the subforum isn't in the GeeDeeCee next time, because it's bringing the GeeDeeCee too many new faces. >__<''
The people involved weren't handpicked by anyone. Every single host found their way to the guild on their own, applied to be a host, and then once hosts were chosen, it was up to them to pick their co-hosts. They were specifically asked to pick co-hosts first from people in the guild, preferably those who had applied to be hosts but weren't chosen. Regardless of what many people want to believe, it had nothing to do with elitism. Even if more people were involved, those people calling the hosts elitists would still be doing so.

As far as publicity, there's only so much you can do, and we did it. Nearly every person involved in the ball had a banner for it in their sig, linking people to the guild where anyone could offer to help. It was a public guild so ANYONE was more than welcome to offer up suggestions, apply to be a host, whatever.

We had our thread in the Exchange where we sold what little items were donated, and where we held the mod underpants auction with what the mods donated to us.

We had a thread in the R&C forum where myself and one other person auctioned off art & a profile, and this thread also had a link to the public guild.

We don't have anything like the user ads anymore, and we can't just go making topics about it in other forums without getting in trouble for spamming. And I know we did make other threads about it in places where we were allowed to. I know a few times people tried to make discussions in the GCD as a way to try to get more people to know about it, and that is where alot of the users involved came from, but you really have to be careful when doing stuff like that because it doesn't take much to turn a thread into an advertisment that is only suited to the Chatterbox forum.

There really isn't much more that we could have done. If we had more users involved, then that would have been more people with it in their sig, but in order to get more users involved, they have to know its going on.

Yes, planning could have started sooner, but that's something that hopefully won't happen again next year. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was a last minute thing, when Leyna did her best to pull it together in 3 months after she realized that no one else was stepping up to host this thing and she didn't want to see it die.

@Masterdark: the hosts have no control over what other topics are started in the forum. I personally think that the "Oldbie Only" threads were stupid, but there isn't anything that any of us could do to stop them.

(: That sounds interesting. I wasn't saying it's elitist, since I understand it's not, it's just that people think so. Hm, is it possible to make it much more user-involved? Such as make a public chat thread in Chatterbox and such, because seriously, a lot of poeple don't like the Guilds at all and aren't familiar with the guild. x3
Yea, the ball went over great this year even if it's my first one. The rooms were great and everyone was in a good mood. For alot of new players though they didn't exactly get the whole roleplay the ball thing wink

Hmmmm... Suggestions for next year *Thinks really hard* whee

Well, I guess we should keep the rooms we had this year, or at least the same idea just different hosts (I wanna host a room!) But maybe have like an explanation thread, too many new players didn't get it...

So yeah, thats what I came up with. sweatdrop
Maybe you could have a small plot associated with each room?
(The user would make it, not an admin. They could make it whatever they want. It can defy the laws of physics, but not logic)
The last part is copyright the drama teacher in my school XP
what exactaly is the ball and its purpose

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
Yusukeman
Starrii
I think that planning should begin earlier, and that publicity really is needed. Because this is a user-run thing, there should also be more users involved, people think this is only for the elitist. You guys should have started the process around January, instead of March (though I know that not everyone is on 24/7, starting earlier can balance out the time more), and there should be a hiring thread that gets more then 10 people as staff (maybe 25?).

No one else took up the ball so Leyna decided to take it up herself.
There would have been NO BALL if she didnt decide to do it (starting in March).

The ball was in no way elitest, being that it every aspect of it was open to ANYONE regardless of join date.

Examples...

System Virus- Host of the Artificial room joined 08/14/2005
Astera_Renata- Host of the Muesum of Atlantis joined 03/29/2006
PliR- co-host joined 12/21/06

The whole argument that that organization of the ball was for elitests only is completely without merit.

As for the 03 and 04 only topics....Thats what those users decide to make and was in no way made by the ball organizers.
I've seen a yaoi guild thread, you dont see me complaining about how it shouldn't be there, being that I dont read or like yaoi. Complaints about 03/04 only threads is very much like someone complaining that the seniors only bingo night is unfair to those who arent seniors.

I in no way said that this ball was eltitist! gonk

I simply said that people think. If I thought it, would I be saying 'people'?

Naughty Rabbit

yukikat27
what exactaly is the ball and its purpose
I made a FAQ post in my sticky.

here's a link -> http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=28071745#1225394637

Naughty Rabbit

Starrii
Yusukeman
Starrii

The ball was in no way elitest, being that it every aspect of it was open to ANYONE regardless of join date.

Examples...

The whole argument that that organization of the ball was for elitests only is completely without merit.

As for the 03 and 04 only topics....Thats what those users decide to make and was in no way made by the ball organizers.
I've seen a yaoi guild thread, you dont see me complaining about how it shouldn't be there, being that I dont read or like yaoi. Complaints about 03/04 only threads is very much like someone complaining that the seniors only bingo night is unfair to those who arent seniors.

I don't think it was directed at -you- but the -people- thinking that. sweatdrop No worries 3nodding
Shinobu_Teiin
Maybe you could have a small plot associated with each room?
(The user would make it, not an admin. They could make it whatever they want. It can defy the laws of physics, but not logic)
The last part is copyright the drama teacher in my school XP

Each host was in charge of their own room and any plot that went along with it. The only central plot involved the different elemental rooms and the central room.

Besides.....Anything the users made wouldn't be made into canon material for the gaia storyline. For example... The admins gave us a choice on what the NPC could be. I for one and many others wanted the Von Helsons because we havent seen them in a loooonngg time, and showing them again would spark up unknown drama. However, the gaia admins said that wasnt possible because the Von Helsons are dead.

We could have potentially picked Gambino, Gino, Ian, etc....But we decided to go with the random COW.

If you have any interesting ideas for a plot, feel free to join next ball's planning and get involved. This is made by users like you biggrin

Leyna
Starrii

I don't think it was directed at -you- but the -people- thinking that. sweatdrop No worries 3nodding

correct.
Besides the contests and chats, little else was going on. And the contests were rather shaky and poorly put together: next time I'd advise to have more reliable people in charge with the individual rooms. And perhaps arrange more activities...I'm not very creative, but a suggestion box ahead of time may be more successful xD

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
Leyna
Starrii
Yusukeman
Starrii

Examples...

Sorry. x/ I'm kinda in an argument, and I guess I wasn't thinking straight. xP

:3 I'd love to help with next year, if there be need. xD
-Bzzt-

I suggest that System Virus get up off her lazy humanoid bottom next time and create a plot worth following, and that people are actually aware exists.

--Terminate Message--

8,925 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
i never got to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naughty Rabbit

Starrii
Leyna
Starrii
Yusukeman
Starrii

Examples...

Sorry. x/ I'm kinda in an argument, and I guess I wasn't thinking straight. xP

:3 I'd love to help with next year, if there be need. xD
I have a few people who've asked and i'm composing a list of people who want to be notified for next year's planning. Shall i add ya to it? whee
I thought it was a really great time. You guys did a great job for running this, being only modest users and not almighty mods rofl

Next year, it'd be cool to have a sort of date registration thing a month or so beforehand, so everybody could find partners to 'accompany' them to the ball. There were a lot of emo, angsty girls hanging about because nobody would dance with them xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff