Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
May 2008 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:14 am
User Image

Hello everyone! Thank you all for stopping by to read this month's issue of The Blessed Be News! I'd like to remind everyone that we're always looking for more writers for the newspaper. Having more writers means that the newspaper will be even bigger and have more fun and interesting information for our readers. It is a paying job! If you're interested, please check out this thread to pick up an application and to see who all is currently on the staff. Thank you!

----------

What's new in the May 2008 issue?
- We've started the "Member of the Month" back up, again. xd
- We also brought back the "Game Room" section, which was previously seen in the February 2008 issue.
- A Beltane article.
- A Samhain article.

----------

Coming in June 2008:
- A Litha article.
- A Yule article.
- Hopefully many, many new sections if we can get some more writers!

----------

Some of you may notice, but we had to re-use the Beltane and Samhain articles from the October 2007 issue. The two writers that normally write the Sabbat articles have been MIA since the first week of April. Unfortunetly, I (dark_angel_32189) didn't realize until just yesterday that neither article had been turned in. So, with it being such short notice, I decided to use the old articles. However, I did put in new recipes and new activities in each article, so those are new!

----------

Table of Contents:
- Introduction (you are here)
- Letter to the Editors
- Guild Happenings
- Members Section
- Animal Totems
- Beltane
- Book Review
- Crytsals and Gemstones
- The Elements
- The Herb Garden
- Kitchen Witches
- Meditation
- Mythical Creatures
- Samhain
- Spells
- The Game Room
- Classifieds

- Feedback thread  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 am
User Image

Do you have a question for one of our newspaper editors (it can be about the newspaper, something you read in the newspaper, about the guild... about anything really)? Or maybe you want to leave some feedback but wanted to leave it anonymously so that only the editors knew it was you who said it?

If you have a question (on any subject) that you'd like to ask, please send a PM to Blessed_Scribe. Our current editor is dark_angel_32189 and our co-editors are Kareena80, koudelkaW, and WelkingPath. You can also choose to have the questions answered by a certain editor if you'd like. Also, in your PM please specify whether or not you want us to post your question or comment anonymously. If you don't specify this then your username will be published along with your comment/question.

We look forward to reading/answering all of your questions/comments!

P.S. Just like anything else with the newspaper... if you send in a question and it gets published, you will receive some free gold!  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 am
User Image

To start things off, I'd like to fill you all in one everything that happened in April 2008! whee

- April 3rd: Congratulations to too2sweet and SwirlingDark for winning our April guild lotto drawing. Congratulations to too2sweet for winning the avatar contest.

- April 5th: The April newsletter is now up for you all to read!

- April 8th: Our two year anniversary party started!

- April 21st: The Two year anniversary scrapbook is now up! It includes a list of who won what as well as list with links to all of the party games, contests, and other party threads!

***VERY IMPORTANT
- April 25th: dark_angel_32189 (Maggie) has officially resigned as the guild's captain. You can go to this thread to read more about it.

Our new guild captain is JVCA (Jess). I ask that you all be patient with her as she gets settled into her new position. She's going to make a great guild captain!
***VERY IMPORTANT

- April 26th: The winner for our copy cat contest is blackfadedvelvet!

The winner for our works of fiction contest is New Moon by Amethyst Lavenlight!

The winner for our avatar contest is too2sweet!

The winner for our poetry contest is The Devil's Embrace by Lucifer Kiss!

----------

Coming in May:
- We'll try to get a small Beltane/Samhain celebration going within the next couple of days, so be on the look out for that!

That's really all that we have planned for May at the moment, but you never know what ideas we might come up with between now and then. ninja

----------

Alright, now it's time to fill you all in on new/exciting stuff in the guild! whee

Why not jump in on one of our major discussions in The Main Forum? Some of the more "popular" threads at the moment seem to include (but are certainly not limited to):
- What's wrong with a hippopotomas?
- Divinity of Jesus (not really Wicca-related, but still interesting none-the-less!)
- Thought Provoking Questions
- Male Witches

----------

Or why not join in one of our classes in The Academy? Here's a list of some of our new classes/guides that you might want to check out:
- Making Sigils
- Scrying
- Incense Making  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 pm
User Image

We had quite a few very lovely people join us during the month of April. Please be sure to make them all feel welcome!

Bromisto, Uchiha Reika, x Haruhi in Wonderland x, Morganlefae66, The Gothic One, pearberrie, Kihiki, Sunaminot, Jypsi Lady, Scherzo-d, Kurisu Shiro, The 19th Lord of Salem, Chichiri_luvr, Phoeona, Bloody Ocean Romantic, torak317, llama_chic_452, Kyou Nitsune, musik6-13-05, Tassy Dreams, N E O N Transvestite, Miss Organism, moonbabyxo, crazed_kitty09, MusicSavvy04, princessgothic2010, JeanMorgan, Midnight_Margaritas, Katharina27, Iron Bess, x0Taste0the0Rainbow0x, Cucumbercake, Magic little Daya, parite, ForbidenNightmare, and xxasianartistxx

----------

May Birthdays:
May 1st - - Fleur_de_Nuit, beckyrose_123, Kihiki and L e C a s s
May 3rd - - Sylvanius
May 6th - - Pillow666 and wizardly_warlock
May 7th - - Zero God Of Destruction
May 9th - - Aurellion and riverflow692
May 10th - - Twilit Nocturne, amayayumi and Wynter Sparrow
May 11th - - Celes582
May 12th - - casper2004
May 17th - - devilchild911us and xaznbbyd0ll
May 19th - - Ffion87
May 20th - - Carmacao
May 21st - - HERR KROGEN and LifelessSong
May 22nd - - Godzilla`
May 24th - - amethystrain24, llama_chic_452 and lilunseen13
May 27th - - azrielsangel
May 29th - - aceschatname3
May 30th - - TheCrazy_writer and NiennaSayyadina
May 31th - - Wiccan_Chick89

----------

User Image

If you can recall, back in the February 2008 issue we had said that we'd be featuring a "Member of the Month" and have since then not had one. I apologize for that. sweatdrop

Each month we will choose one lucky member to be our 'Member of the Month'! This lucky person will be interviewed for the newspaper and given some sort of prize!

May's 'Member of the Month' is Faeryselene! She may be fairly new to the guild (almost a member of two months to be exact), but she's contributed a lot in the guild discussions.

User Image

Here's a little message from Faeryselene:

Quote:
Hello :3
I’m not too sure what I should say but here it goes…

I live on the coast near the redwoods. It’s very beautiful and I enjoy living here, although I plan to travel in the near future.

I have a wide variety of hobbies and interests, of which I will name a few. Photography would be one, as well as ecology and science. Lately I’ve been very busy working on a project with the help of the forestry service and have been given a full-paid trip to an international science competition in Atlanta this May. I enjoy learning in general, especially about culture and mythology.

I work for an herbalist, and I am generally weird and random. I have a particular liking…erm, obsession…with cats. I’ve considered myself pagan for about three years, although I’ve had what you may consider being pagan beliefs for as long as I can remember. I consider myself to be very spiritual rather than very religious. I don’t recall what initially sparked my interest in Wicca as a pre-teen, although when I began studying into it further I think it was mostly the nature based, Goddess and God, balanced, and witchcraft aspects that appealed to me, witchcraft being spiritual and not just a way to obtain “power”. I studied Wicca as well as other belief systems for quite a while before I saw that it suited what I believed, and while I may not end up identifying myself as Wiccan for the rest of my life (as I am open to change), I can’t imaging myself being anything other than a pagan witch...if I would have to label, anyway.

I'm currently learning more about the Celts, and their interactions with the Romans.

And here's her interview:

Blessed_Scribe: If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Faeryselene: Oh I don’t mind. I’m sixteen.

Blessed_Scribe: How do you feel about casting spells on other people, with or without their permission/knowledge?
Faeryselene: I personally feel that casting spells on people without their permission is, in most cases, unethical and a bad idea. One, it’s not a good idea (or moral) to try to directly tamper with other peoples lives, especially if we intend it for our own personal benefit. Secondly, in many instances, it would be an unnecessary draw of energy from ourselves, in the process of trying to “improve” other people in our eyes or manipulating them without permission, I feel that we would be taking away from our own personal power and self-improvement. Unless both parties understand the situation from both sides, and are aware of the magic, I doubt that it would work as well in any positive way intended, simply because of the will of many people working against each other.

I do think that there are special cases for performing magic on others without permission. For example, if you suddenly feel that a loved one is in danger, especially for a good reason, and have no way to contact them at that time, it would be acceptable (and probably best) to perform a protection ritual if that’s what you’re called to do. I do think that this should be left to people who are more experienced and aware of their magic, not beginners. In that case, a simple prayer could be best.

As for actually having permission, like I’ve stated above, this is fine if the main people involved understand the situation and each other clearly and what the magic is intended to accomplish. Another reason why this is better is because the person that the spell is being performed for will be open to the change, resulting in better effectiveness. As for the person who is performing the spell, I think that it would be advisable to save it for the right occasions, not just giving out spells for anyone who wants it.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you think that inexperienced people should attempt a seance on their own? Why or why not?
Faeryselene: Definitely not. On a lighter note, in many cases, the inexperienced person probably won’t know what they’re doing or understand why they’re doing it. Example: some teenagers trying to perform a séance because they think it’s cool or exciting or they’re just trying to talk to their dead grandma or something like that (ahem, I have unfortunately witnessed this before). There will be other people who take a more serious approach who will read and learn a good deal about séances, the dead, necromancy, etc, which is the first step. I do think that it’s important to have attended séances in the past and I think it would be best to have an experienced mentor or guide of some sort at first, somebody that you can trust, maybe clergy or a high priest/priestess. A few reasons for being cautionary: it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to upset the dead, anything lurking in the astral plane, needs to be approached with some degree of respect. Secondly, I do think that there could be negative entities that you need to learn how to protect your self from properly. I can’t say much else on this, as I am not an expert in this subject.

Blessed_Scribe: Have you ever astral projected willingly or attempted to? If yes, would you mind telling me about one of your experiences?
Faeryselene: I have attempted to astral project willingly, but have never accomplished this. I have only astral projected unwillingly. There are only two instances that I remember clearly. In one of them, I was pulled out of my body while I was sleeping. The other was drug related. I’ll talk about the first one. I had been sleeping for maybe about a half hour to an hour, I’m not sure. I woke up, I noticed that my body wasn’t moving, but I was. There were beautiful colors all around me and I was confused. I went to the other side of the room slowly before being pulled back. As if something was trying to protect me. Nothing very extravagant.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you know what your totem animal is? If so, how did you come to find it?
Faeryselene: I have a few spirit guides that come to me as animals, and I guess you could also call them totem animals. I have many animals that I feel a connection to, although I’ll just talk about a couple. Since I was very young, I’ve always felt drawn to manatees and whales. I liked them as a little kid, and by the time I was 7 I started reading books on them and my grandma randomly sent me a manatee doll (which I still have). Looking back it was like I was abnormally fascinated with them, as well as other sea creatures such as sea lions. I think that this was heavily influenced by the different coastal areas I grew up in. Not too long ago, my mom told me a story about how when I was two years old, we were near the everglades looking out on the water which could be seen well by the full moon. There was a manatee in the distance and it came very close to us, staying for a few moments. They’re usually very shy animals in the wild. Every time I see whales or watch videos of them, I think that they’re very beautiful. I like narwhales because they remind me of unicorns. Besides sea creatures, I also have a connection with cats, which I relate with Bast, one of my patrons. I’m pretty much obsessed to tell the truth, and I always have been.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you find the term "Witch" offensive? Why or why not?
Faeryselene: Not at all. I identify myself as a witch and combined with my beliefs, it is a positive thing. It is a path, a responsibility, a commitment. It is something beautiful to me. If somebody called me a witch in a derogatory way, I might find it upsetting or annoying because of their ignorance, although I would tend to ignore it. I’m proud of who I am, even if I don’t try to scream it out.

Do you believe in Astrology? Why or why not?
Faeryselene: Yes, in many ways I do. I have met many people who fit the traits of their astrological sign…almost to a tee. I have been able to figure out the time of year somebody is born or their zodiac sign by their personality traits. But I have also met other people who don’t fit their birth sign so well. Because of personal life experiences, everything can vary. I think that the relationships between the positions of stars and planets have many influences, on each other, on the Earth, and on us as individuals, and studying them can give us insight to these energies. Horoscopes are fun, but I don’t think they’re very reliable when summed up for the masses.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you believe in "ghosts"? Have you ever had any "encounters" and if so, would you mind telling me about one of your experiences?
Faeryselene: I have no clear, direct experiences with ghosts that I can remember well. I’ve been told by family that I would see “ghosts” when I was very young, but I don’t recall anything very significant myself. All of my memories on them are vague. I do, however, sense entities at times, although I wouldn’t call them ghosts. As for believing in ghosts myself, I see it as a possibility, although I find it unlikely that our spirit would be stuck lurking around in the physical world after death. As far as I can figure, the image and energy of a person can “copy” itself to an area and play over again. Not the spirit of the person itself, but a representation and the emotions/feelings of that person during that life can stick around. Maybe, in a way, this “copy” takes on a life of its own. That’s only a theory though.

----------

We have a lot of very talented, creative members in the guild. This is their spotlight!

Want your artwork (drawings, poetry, photography, etc) to be featured here? Then, contact Blessed_Scribe for more details. You will receive payment for any of your artwork that is published in the newspaper.

User Image
Spring maiden in Ostara by Bridget_Cross

User Image
By Bridget_Cross

User Image
The Goddess by Bridget_Cross  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:01 pm
User Image

Animal Totems - The Lion
Written by WelkingPath

User Image

The Lion is a powerful and fearless animal, and deserves the right to be called King of the Jungle. But this hard outer shell is not to be confused with the calm clarity that it holds inside. When Lion appears in one’s life, one should let go of all anger towards others, a certain situation, or oneself.

Lions are often seen relaxing on the open Savannahs of Africa. The way they relax with the expectation to not be bothered by humans or other animals of the plains shows us how fearlessness can be easily associated with this animal. When a Lion walks with you, he is telling you that you can learn this fearlessness only if you are relaxed enough to do so.

The Lion is a unique cat since it lives in groups called prides. This demonstrates that those who hold the Lion as their totem should listen to others’ points of view, and keep an open mind.

Lion people will surely learn a lot about communities and the role they play in them while the Lion is at their side. These people certainly have potential to be great leaders, however they must keep their jealous tendencies under control and learn the delicate art of patience.

The Lion is without doubt able to defend himself when threatened. But they shy away from confrontation as much as possible. This illustrates that one must move out of difficult situations with grace and efficiency.

The Lion is an amazing creature. One must have patience to learn all of its secrets that deal with pride, leadership, nobility, fearlessness and strength.

May you Blessed Be

----------

Sources:
http://www.sayahda.com/cyc.html
http://www.petrix.com/dreams/animals.html  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:05 pm
User Image

Sabbats - Beltane
Written by dark_angel_32189

User Image

As you all know, during the month of May in the Northern Hemisphere we celebrate Beltane! So we have some basic information, a Beltane related recipe, and a Beltane related activity for you all to enjoy!

----------

Beltane is most commonly known as May Day to non-pagans. Other names for Beltane include Roodmas, Bealtaine, Whitsun or Old Bhealltainn, Bealtinne, Samhradh and La Baal Tinne, Rudemas, Walburga, Walpurgisnacht, Walpurgis Eve, Celtic Summer, Giamonios, Tana's Day - La Giornata di Tana , Floralia, The Great Rite, Cetshamain, and May Eve.

Beltane is one of the Greater Sabbats and is a fertility festival. It is the time that the Goddess and the God come together to conceive. It is a great time for weddings or to renew your vows. The most common ritual performed on Beltane is what's known as The Great Rite, the sacred union between a man and woman. It's also the perfect time to start new gardens.

"Beltane is the time of year when we celebrate new life, fertility and the earth's ripe abundance in all its forms. It is a time of pure joy, bliss, and playfulness" (link).

Traditional activities of Beltane include, but are not limited to, blowing horns, gathering flowers, creating and dancing around the May Pole, decorating your homes and yourselves with fresh flower garlands, stringing up greenery around your homes and places of work, sending flowers to loved ones, planting new gardens, cleaning out the cupboards and general spring cleaning, plaiting and weaving straw, creating things with wicker, and making baskets and fabrics.

Symbols of Beltane include the May pole, crossroads, eggs, butterchurns and chalices. Flowers that are representative of Beltane include roses, bluebells, marigolds, daisies, primroses, violets and lilac. Colors that are associated with Beltane are white, red, and dark green. Stones that represent Beltane are sapphires, bloodstones, emeralds, orange carnelians, and rose quartz.

----------

Sources:
The Pagan Web
Wicca . com
Pagan's Path
Witchy Way

----------

Beltane Recipe

Strawberry Crisp

Ingredients:
1 c Uncooked Oatmeal
1 c All purpose Flour
1 c Brown Sugar
1/4 c Chopped Walnuts
1/2 c Butter or margarine
1/2 c Sugar
3 c Sliced fresh or frozen Strawberry

Directions:
Mix together oatmeal, flour and brown sugar. Add nuts. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. In another bowl, mix strawberries and white sugar together. Grease an 8" square pan. Spread half the crumb mixture on bottom. Cover with strawberries. Spread remaining crumb mixture over top. Bake at 350 deg F oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or topping.

----------

Beltane Activity

House Happy Charm

This is a small sachet pillow stuffed with good things, an excellent gift when people newly in love move in together. All the while you're assembling it, focus on their hopes, dreams and your bright wishes for their hearth.

Make a small pillow (I usually do a 5x5 square) from an interesting material. Leave one end open for stuffing.

Gather, mix, and empower the following herbs:
- Sage and Sandlewood for blessing and protection.
- Lavendar for domestic tranquility
- Rose petals to honor their love.
- Vervain for bright witchery.
- A couple drops of cinnamon oil.
- Stuff the pillow and sew the open end shut.

Decorate as desired.

In sacred space, dedicate it under the auspices of the Lord and the Lady.

If you're blessing your friends home for them, include the pillow in the ritual. If they're doing their own home blessing, offer it as a house warming gift.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 pm
User Image

Book Review - Trancing the Witch's Wheel: A Guide to Magickal Mediation
By too2sweet

User Image

TITLE: Trancing The Witch’s Wheel: A Guide to Magickal Meditation
AUTHOR: Yasmine Galenorn
PAGES: 218 pages
YEAR PUBLISHED: 1997

SYNOPSIS (from the inside cover):
This is your chance to step onto the path of self-discovery and personal transformation through the simple, yet powerful guided visualizations of Trancing the Witch’s Wheel. Let go of the stress and anxiety of the day-to-day world and find your way back to the center, the divine spark, at the center of us all. Tap into the ultimate power source - nature itself - and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul.

Embrace the wind, feel the gentle presence of the gods, and experience the vital energy of the seasons and Sabbats through a complete set of uniquely Pagan guided meditations. Stand and watch as the Sun King is reborn at Yule, cross the barren lava fields with Pele, and learn how to shape-shift like Gwion in his flight from Cerridwen. Trancing the Witch’s Wheel reveals exciting techniques that transform meditation into powerful journeys into Pagan magic, myth and spirituality.

Let this comprehensive guide to the art of applied imagination, visualization, and meditation take you to new levels of understanding and experience. Learn how to improve your powers of concentration and focus. Discover your inner-self and your personal connection to the elements, the wheel of the year, and the gods. Stimulate your creativity and elevate your consciousness through a stimulating blend of mysticism and practicality.

REVIEW: For beginners to advanced practitioners, this book is for everyone. It is divided into 4 parts - with Part One appropriately titled: Basics of Meditation. This section helps you with some general exercises and also helps you with grounding and centering. Part Two contains meditations for connecting with the Elements, Part Three focuses on the Sabbats and Part Four has several Goddess meditations as well as a meditation to the Underworld. Each meditation is presented with “guidelines for use”, giving us an idea of when it would be appropriate to perform the meditation, as well as some correspondences for incense, candles, oils, crystal or other tools that you may feel called to use during the meditation. At the end of each meditation there is also a section on “suggested exercises” that will help you gain deeper insights from your journeys. Most of these meditations can be done by solitary practitioners, although there are a couple that require an actual guide. I do think that you could possibly modify those just slightly for solitary use and still achieve the same results. I think that Trancing the Witch’s Wheel is a great book for anyone who looking to form a deeper connection to life or if you are just looking for way to improve your meditation practice in general.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Yasmine Galenorn has written several books on witchcraft over the years. Currently she has turned her knowledge and talent to writing fiction with a “magickal” bent. For more information on Yasmine Galenorn and her books you can check out: http://www.galenorn.com/

If you'd like to discuss this book or this book review, please go to this thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:07 pm
User Image

Crystals and Gemstones - Moonstone
Written by Ciele Fu

User Image

FOUND IN: India, Sri Lanka, Australia
COLORS: Pinkish whites and greys
CORRESPONDENCES: Heart & Third Eye Chakras, Moon, Water
KEYWORDS: Calming, femininity, change, intuition

Moonstone, as one might guess, is a stone of the moon, and represents the feminine archetype - water, emotions, intuition, and almost anything else you might associate. The Romans believed it was created from moonlight, while women in Arab countries stitched it into their clothing as they tried for children, and in India it is supposed to bring sweet dreams as a sacred stone. In many places it is a traditional gift for or between lovers.

Moonstone is associated with many cycles of nature, and can attune you to the phases of the moon, the tides, the seasons. Its power and effectiveness are said to wax and wane with the moon; in theory, it is most powerful (and appropriate) for use during the full moon. In this aspect, it allows you to accept and embrace change. The moon will always shift from new to full and back again, the leaves will fall and be replaced, so why not enjoy the view?

Keep it on you if you wish to enhance your intuition or empathy, or stimulate your creativity and imagination. It aids the functioning of the female reproductive organs. It encourages regular periods, fertility, and lessens the effects of PMS and cramping, perhaps even calming a menopausal woman on occasion. It is extremely stabilizing on the emotions, and encourages emotional attachment of the positive kind, allowing you to relax and enjoy real love.

-----------

Sources:
The Crystal Bible - Judy Hall
The Essential Crystal Handbook - Simon and Sue Lilly
http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/dictionary/moonstone.html  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:08 pm
User Image

Elements - The Elemental Qualities (Part II)
Written by Starlock

Last time we talked about the two active qualities of the Four Elements: hot and dry. Remember when we're talking about qualities, each element has two and their meaning goes beyond the literal. Now it's time to look at the other pair of contraries: the passive qualities of moist and dry.

Of Moist and Dry: The Passive Qualities

Aristotle
Moist is that which, being readily adaptable in shape, is not determinable by any limit of its own; while dry is that which is readily determinable by its own limit, but not readily adaptable in shape.

Unlike the other two qualities, which are active agents of transformation, these two qualities relate to how the substance interfaces with its environment. This is why moist and dry are sometimes called passive qualities.

A thing moist, as indicated by the quote above, readily adapts in shape and has no intrinsic limit. It is, in other words, expansive, moving outward indefinitely until some other force in the environment acts as a boundary. Think back to basic physics when you learned about the different states of matter. The quality of moist is best characterized by the gas state of matter as it fully takes the shape of its container or is limited by a force like gravity. This energy is up and outward.

A thing dry is just the opposite. As Aristotle states, it is determined by an intrinsic limit of its own. It is a contractive force, moving inward upon itself of its own volition and does not expand to fill a space indefinately. Going back to the states of matter, the quality of dry is best characterized by the solid. Solids will keep their shape all on their own unless some other force in the environment makes it do otherwise. Its energy is inwardly self-contained and directs downward.

Let's pull out some keywords again for these two qualities like we did for the last two:
Moist = expansive and outward
Dry = contractive and inward

Next time we'll bring all this stuff about the qualities together by looking at which element has which qualities.

------

Sources:
Oxford's Two Volume Set: The Complete Works of Aristotle. In particular, "On Generation and Corruption."  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 pm
User Image

The Herb Garden - Figs
Written by Choir-Angel

User Image

Many people have fig trees in their yard, and those who don't generally know what one is. Fig trees grow fruit known as figs which are fertilised by small insects crawling into the hollow area inside through the apex and pollinating the small seeds it contains. These fruit resemble plant bulbs and have a brownish purple color, and if they aren't ripe, they will be a greenish color. Figs are also more of an adapted flower, an 'accessory fruit' called a syconium which is best described as an inverted flower. When bitten into, they are very squishy, pink, and seedy. These seeds are edible and soft though, you hardly notice them. Humans have been growing fig trees for around 11,400 years. Growing fig trees predates the earliest evidence of wheat, barley, and legumes by about 1,000 years, and indicates that figs may have been one of the earliest domesticated crops. Figs are a member of the Ficus genus belonging to the Moraceae family. The fig is native to the Turkey and northern India area. Later on, around the 16th century, figs were introduced to the New World by the Spanish and Portuguese. From the West Indies figs spread to the U.S. and by the 20th century had become quite popular. Fig trees can grow over 50 ft in the wild but commercially grown trees are usually kept below 15 ft.

Figs have always been used as a sweetener and is a great tasting fruit, raw or cooked. To add to the figs great taste, it also has several medicinal uses. Figs are a source of iron and help to keep the liver clean and healthy. Figs are also useful to prevent the blocking of veins; in infantile feeding, they provide calcium for children who are allergic to milk, the high fiber has laxative effects; there is a high varied content of mineral salts, and a high fig diet can prevent cancer of the colon and slow down the development of carcinomas. Along with these medicinal uses, figs are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps to control blood pressure. They're also thought of as a fruit that gives strength and energy to long-term patients as they seek to recover. Fig leaves are added to boiling water and used as a steam bath for painful or swollen piles and the leaf decoction is taken as a remedy for diabetes. It is also said that the milky juice of a freshly-broken Fig will remove warts.

Fig is a great herb medicinally, has a lot of history, and tastes delicious. Adding to that, it also has a few magickal uses. The fig is said to aid in enlightenment, is used for luck, is used in love magick, fertility magick, and adds wisdom to foods and beverages. Figs are also used for divination. A little divination use of the fig is, you write a question on a leaf, if the leaf dries slowly then the answer is "yes," if it dries quickly then the answer is "no." Fig wood can be carved into small phallic shapes and carried by women who wish to conceive. They are also used by men to overcome impotency and fresh figs are also eaten for those results. Fig also aids in restful sleep when grown in the bedroom.

Folk Names: Common Fig, Fico, Mhawa, Chagareltin
Planet: Jupiter
Element: Fire

----------

Sources:
http://www.teenwitch.com/trees/fig.html
http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater37/herbs1.htm
http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Specials and Holidays/Figs Origin Uses Recipes.htm
http://www3.unifi.it/ueresgen29/ds1.htm
http://www.planetenjoy.com/information/1113_benefit-and-uses-of-fig-anjeer
"Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" by Scott Cunningham  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 pm
User Image

Recipes - Figs
By Strawberrydaifuku

Poached Figs

Wash and remove the stems from:
1 lb. dried figs

Add:
Cold water to cover well
1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
A piece of lemon rind
(A large piece of ginger root)
Stew the figs, covered, until they are soft. Drain and sweeten the juice with:
Sugar (about 1 cup)

Simmer the syrup until thick. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Replace the figs in the syrup. Cool. Add 1 tablespoon dry sherry. Chill and serve with cream.

----------

Fig Raisin Spice Cake

Ingredients:
* 1 cup chopped fresh figs
* 1 cup raisins
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Boiling water
* 1/2 cup solid shortening
* 1 cup brown sugar, packed
* 2 eggs, beaten

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a standard loaf pan.

Cover figs and raisins with boiling water and let sit to plump for 15 minutes.

Drain thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs.

Add flour mixture, half at a time, to the wet ingredients. Blend until smooth and combined. Fold in figs and raisins.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before slicing to serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:14 pm
User Image

Meditation - Journey to the Underworld
By too2sweet

Beltaine and Samhain are both times when the veils between the earth and the spirit realms are thinnest. These are usually the best times for seeking answers/insights that require assistance from these other realms. While the following meditation is best performed on Samhain (which is perfect for those of you who are in the Southern Hemisphere), it is also appropriate for use during times of stagnation, when you feel that transformation is needed to advance and grow in your life. While it is an excellent tool for helping us get past these blocks, it really shouldn’t be used more often than once a year.

The Underworld is the realm in which our subconscious self exists. It is the realm of death, of hidden truths, of the parts of our psyche we often are unaware of. Journeying into the Underworld and back out again, is to take a journey to the depths of our soul and transform ourselves in the process.

The Underworld is a place of spirits, a place of shadows and silence. A place where our own living souls can journey for brief times to discover hidden knowledge about ourselves and our lives. To understand life, we must also understand death. Death is the ultimate physical transformation, and when we go through cycles of change in our daily lives, we are undergoing forms of death in life. With the assistance of guardian animals, the following meditation will allow you to tap into this transformative realm. I suggest that you read through the meditation first, some of us may not be ready for this journey and that is perfectly fine. You will know when the time is right - it may be now, or it may be several years from now. It only matters that it is the right time for you.

If you feel the need, to use any of the following during your meditation - please feel free to do so. Correspondences…
Flowers: lilies, white carnations, white roses
Incense: kyphi, copal, cedar
Oils: oak moss, cypress, cedar, earth
Crystals: lapis lazuli, bloodstone, jasper
Candles: white, black

Now sit back and relax.

Quote:
Close your eyes and take three deep breaths. You are standing at the entrance to a cavern. It is evening, the twilight is turning to indigo, and the air is a little chilly. You pull your cloak tightly around your shoulders. The cavern is rumored to be filled with treasures, not gold and silver, or gems and jewels in huge trunks, or ancient priceless coins, but the treasure of self-discovery. The rumors say the way is steep and dangerous and you must have very stout boots. It will be dark walking, for the treasure is said to be very far underground, and so you will need a light, a lantern. You also decide to take an animal guide with you. Think of what animal you would like to have at your side. It should be one you are comfortable with, and it can be any size and color that you like. Take a moment to think about this, then call and your animal guide will appear.

PAUSE

When you guide appears, ask for its name. Now you must decide what tools you will need. Do you want a walking stick, or do you feel that you need a weapon to protect yourself? Think about it for a moment and whatever you need will appear at your feet.

PAUSE

Now pick up your gear and take a step into the cave. Your animal guide will go with you. The cavern starts out fairly large and level. It is not easy to see, even with your lantern, and when you look around, shadows seem to loom over you. When you get to the back of the cave there is an opening just big enough for you and your guide to slip through. As you slide between the granite, you can smell moss where it is growing on the north side of the cave. You are now in a long, narrow passage. The floor of the tunnel slopes downward, a gentle grade at first. The passage is only about four feet wide and eight feet high and if your animal guide is too big to fit in here, you find that it can magically shrink, adapting to the cavern’s size

PAUSE

Hold up you lantern and begin your descent into the tunnel. At first your footing is secure, the terrain is fairly smooth, and you find it easy going, but as you continue along, all the time descending, the slope beings to steepen. Now and then a rock juts out of the ground; some are sharp and jagged, some are smooth. Once you find a boulder blocking the passage that is so large that you and your animal guide have to crawl over the top.

PAUSE

The temperature is dropping. It is cold in this granite world, and you shiver as a gust of wind from somewhere far below blows against your skin. It douses the fire in your lantern and instantly darkness shrouds you in a velvet cloud. You stop, trying to rekindle the light, but when you search for the matches, you accidentally drop the lantern and you can hear as it crashes, rolling down the slope in front of you.

PAUSE

Your animal guide says “Stand still for a moment to let your eyes adjust. Then use your other senses to guide you.” As you obey, listen carefully to see if you can hear any noises around you.

PAUSE

After a few minutes, you can make out dim shapes in the darkness, and your animal guide urges you to continue on. If you have a walking stick, it can help you pick out your way. Or you can stretch your arms out and use the sides of the tunnel for balance. You might want to hold onto your animal guide as you walk. The slope beneath your feet has become quite steep and you have to move very carefully in the dark to avoid falling. Rocks clutter the passageway; you could easily turn an ankle if you are not careful. Feel each step before you take it, use your internal sense of guidance to keep yourself from tripping over the loose stones.

PAUSE

Now the walls of the cave feel moist and you can smell a dank, mildewed odor permeating the air. If you touch the granite you can feel the mold growing in slick patches on the stone’s surface. Once you think you feel a centipede or some such insect scuttle away from your questing fingers. Your animal guide encourages you forward. You take another few steps. It is very steep and feels very dangerous, and then your foot touches level stone. You have come to the end of the passage. Stop for a moment to relax and take a few deep breaths.

PAUSE

You think you can hear water in the distance, the sound of a rushing river. You can smell it in the air, the mountain hangs heavy around you. With the help of your animal guide, continue through the now level tunnel until you feel the edges of the passage. It is opening into what seems to be a large cavern. When you cautiously pass through, testing each step before you put full weight on your foot, you suddenly see a blaze of sparkling light. The walls are glowing, and they glitter blue and green and yellow, lighting the cavern with a shimmering glow. The cavern in which you are standing stretches farther than you can see. There appears to be another entrance on the other side directly opposite you. In the center of the cave is a large opening that is filled with water. A huge underground river has broken through to fill this miniature lake. It smells fresh, but it shines with such an obsidian light that you aren’t sure if the water is real. Your animal guide leads you over to the edge. “Do not be afraid” it says. “Do not touch the water, but instead look deep into its surface and pay attention to what you see.” When you lean over the edge and look into the dark shining water, you suddenly see an image of yourself. You are lying in a coffin, dead. Your closest friend is talking about you - delivering a eulogy written of truths about your life and your nature. Listen to what is being said. Listen honestly to the truth that is waiting in your soul.

PAUSE

Now the pool shifts and changes and you see another image shimmer into view. This is an image of how you might become. Not necessarily the ideal you, for there is no perfection in actual life, but how you might realistically, honestly evolve and grow over the next year. Watch and listen to learn what changes you could bring for yourself this coming year.

PAUSE

Once again the pool ripple, only this time you animal guide says “Ask to see what changes you must make in order to create the last image into reality” Lean in close to the pool and ask, then listen…watch…and learn.

PAUSE

Now your animal guide tells you, “This is the river that flows deep into the Underworld. If you have old hurts, old grievances that you are ready to let go, that you have mourned and are now ready to put to rest, then bring them to the surface of your mind and dip your hand into the water. Lift it to your mouth and drink and those memories will fade into the background of your mind and lose their power to hurt and taunt you.” Think carefully about this. If you are not ready to let go of an anguish, nothing in the world will pry it away from you. But if you are truly ready to go on, to move into the next phase of your life, then drink from the from river and let bygones be bygones.

PAUSE

When you have finished, you animal guide says “The exit on the other side of the cavern will lead you out from this place. Remember, you can never go back the same way you came, not from the Underworld. You will never remain the same after a journey to your inner soul. Stagnation has no power here, change is stability and transformation remains the goal in this place. The passage on the other side of the cavern is actually a set of steps carved out of the stone. Your animal guide will remain by the lake until you next call for its help. The steps number twenty in all, and as I count from 20 to 1, you will ascend each step towards waking consciousness. 20...19...18...17...the steps are easy to climb…16…15...you will return to full waking consciousness…14...13...12...11...10...you will be alert and refreshed…9...8...7...6...your eyes are beginning to flutter…5...4...3...2...1...take three deep breaths and when you are ready, you may open your eyes. Fully awake, feeling relaxed and rejuvenated by your journey.

----------

Sources:
Trancing the Witch’s Wheel by Yasmine Galenorn  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:15 pm
User Image

Mythical Creatures - Naga Apalala
Written by Arthela

Naga Apalala was a water dragon who controls rains and rivers. He comes from the Swat River in Pakistan. His job was to prevent evil dragons from creating violent rainstorms and floods. Every year the people under his protection gave in a tribute of grain as thanks for his protect so that their crops were healthy and abundant. After years of being without floods, some people stop giving Apalala their yearly tribute of grain. This angered Apalala so he changed into a poisonous dragon, who terrified the people and destroyed the crops with heavy rains and floods. His shrieks frightened all the farmers, and sent them scurrying home for cover. Eventually Apalala converted to Buddhism and stopped raging against the countryside. He was given one crop every 12 years. Therefore, every 12 years there were heavy rains in the land and Apalala receives the flooded crop as a gift.

Apalala had the upper body of a human. His head was that of a human as well, with his face forever bearing the enraged and anguished expression of a soul betrayed. He does not have wings but was one of the most accomplished of flyers among dragons. His lower body was thin and serpent-like though he did have legs. His lower body was well muscled so he could propel himself through the air and water. His feet were birdlike and possessed claws that shredded the clouds to tatters and released the flooding rains. His tail had a dorsal fin along it, which served as the rudder that steered him through both waters and skies.

----------

Sources:
Dragons by Unknown author
http://sorrel.humboldt.edu/~geog309i/ideas/dragons/naga.html  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm
User Image

Sabbats - Samhain
Written by Choir-Angel

User Image

As you all know, during the month of May in the Southern Hemisphere we celebrate Samhain! So we have some basic information, a Samhain related recipe, and a Samhain related activity for you all to enjoy!

----------

Samhain is most popularly known as Halloween, a time for dressing up, eating a ton of candy and feeling sick for a week. But to the Witch, Samhain is one of the Greater Sabbats and marks the end of the third and final harvest, a time to commune with and remember the dead, and is a celebration of the eternal cycle of reincarnation. Samhain is one of the two "spirit-nights" of the year, the other being Beltane. It is a magickal interval when the thin veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with our deceased loved ones is easy at this time. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.

Samhain has many names, some of which are: Halloween, Shadowfest (Strega), Martinmas or Old Hallowmas (Scottish/Celtic), as well as All Hallows Eve, Day of the Dead, Celtic New Year, and Santos. Samhain marks the end of Summer, and the beginning of Winter. Samhain may be associated with death, but is in no way associated with evil or negativity, for Samhain celebrates the triumph of life over death and is a time to reaffirm our belief in the oneness of all spirits, and to know that physical death is not the final act of existence.

Samhain is no more evil than any other holiday, but we recognize that evil does exist. Our ancestors sought to protect themselves by carving faces into vegetables (turnips/pumpkins/etc) and placing them by their windows or the perimeters of their circle. It was also custom to place candles in windows to guide the earth-walking spirits on their way, and to leave out food for those visiting spirits. Once long ago, Samhain bonfires, called balefires in paganism, were once lit on every hilltop in Britain and Ireland as soon as the sun set on October 30. These fires would serve the purpose of containing the energy of the dead god, warding off evil, ushering in the light of the New Year, purifying the ritual space or home, and being the focus of ritual.

Samhain is known by many as the Witches/Celtic New Year. The reason for the Celts choosing this point of the year rather than Yule is because the sun is at its lowest point on the horizon as measured by the ancient standing stones of Britain and Ireland.

Samhain is the night when the old God dies, and the Crone Goddess mourns for him. The popular image of her as the old Halloween hag stirring her cauldron comes from the Celtic belief that all dead souls return to her cauldron of life, death, and rebirth to await reincarnation.

Symbols of Samhain are gourds, apples, black cats, Jack-O-Lanterns, and besoms. Herbs of Samhain are mugwort, allspice, broom, catnip, Deadly Nightshade, mandrake, oak leaves, sage and straw. Colors of Samhain are black, orange, white, silver, and gold. Also, all black stones, preferably jet or obsidian are representative of Samhain.

----------

Sources:
Wicca . com
Witchyway
Geocitites
Witchyway

----------

Samhain Recipe

Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
1 c Unbleached Flour, Sifted
2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Salt
1/4 t Ground Cinnamon
1/4 c Vegetable Shortening
2/3 c Sugar
1 ea Large Egg
1/2 c Canned, Mashed Pumpkin
2 T Milk

Directions:
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. Cream together shortening and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in egg. Combine pumpkin and milk in small bowl. Add dry ingredients alternately with pumpkin mixture to creamed mixture, stirring well after each addition. Spoon batter into paper-lined 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3rds full.

Bake in 350 degree F. oven 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter and homemade jam.

----------

Samhain Activity

Hazelnut Good Luck Charm

Supplies:
9 hazelnuts (or filberts as they are also called)
black colored twine (hemp is best for the energy)
nut pick

Directions:
Using the nut pick, bore holes in the nuts. Use whole nuts, don't shell them. String them on the twine, making it just long enough to hold the nine nuts with a little bit of space, then tie off in a circle. On the night of Samhain, consecrate it in the fire, passing it back and forth 3 times, and chanting:

"Hazelnuts nine in a ring
By the smoke of the Samhain Fire bring
To those within our humble home
Form over this a protective cone
Guard for a year, I charge thee
And as I will, so mote it be!"

Then hang it up in your home somewhere as an amulet of protection for the coming year. If you want, make several , and after consecrating them give them to other pagan family and friends as a gift, or hang one in every room if you wish.

Nine is the sacred number of the Hazelnut in the Celtic Tree Calender. Save some of the nuts to bury during the Spring Equinox, to attune yourself with the cycle of birth and death.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:17 pm
User Image

Spells - Beltane and Samhain
By too2sweet

BELTANE

Beltane is typically a great time for attracting success and prosperity, and since I have spoken with several people lately who could use a little extra boost, I thought this spell might be a good one to share.

Spell to Find a Job

This spell is for use during the waxing moon. The following is a list of tools that are needed to aid you in your spell working - remember however that if you do not have access to these items, you can also use whatever items you have handy that you feel called to use.

Special Tools:
Green candle to represent job/good luck
Good Luck/Job Oil... (allspice, cinnamon, sage, dill, mix with base oil)
Banishing/Exorcism Oil... (cloves, garlic, basil mixed with base oil)
Black or dark candle to represent obstacles
Small jar to be filled with - nutmeg, Tiger's eye stone, thyme, rune or some other symbol of good fortune and a piece on paper on which you have written the description of your perfect job

Casting the Circle:
Quote:
The East, the Wind…positive forces, I call you in
The South, the Fire…aid this night in my desire
The West, the Water…I conjure my need into matter
The North, the Grove…bring your gifts, I make it so
The Center, the Force…I call you to open your doors

I conjure thee, O circle of Power - that you might be for me a boundary between the world of men and the realm of the mighty spirits. A place of joy, love and trust to contain the power I will raise herein. I have called upon the protectors of the East, South, West and North to aid me in the construction of this circle. In the name of the Horned Lord and Radiant Lady - thus do I conjure thee, great circle of power! This circle is sealed.

Invocation to the God/Goddess:
Quote:
Great Goddess…I ask you to join me tonight, at the waxing of the moon's powers
to assist me in my rite. Tonight, I ask for guidance, for luck, for success in finding a new and better job. Guide me, protect me, help me - I, your priest(ess), ask this of you. So mote it be!

Quote:
Great God…I ask you to join me tonight, at the waxing of the moon's powers
to assist me in my rite. Tonight, I ask for guidance, for luck, for success in finding a new and better job. Guide me, protect me, help me - I, your priest(ess), ask this of you. So mote it be!

The Spell:
Anoint the black candle with banishing/exorcism oil and light the candle while visualizing all of your obstacles falling away

Quote:
Bad luck flees
Obstacles fall
My path is clear
Heed my call!

Anoint the green candle with employment/luck oil

Quote:
Good luck and prosperity
Help me Great Ones
Come to me
Opportunity and rewards I see
As I will, so mote it be!

Meditate on the job you want as you gaze into the candle's flame. Still in the circle, fill your good luck jar with the herbs, stone, note and piece of paper with the fortune rune inscribed on it. Seal the jar with these words:

Quote:
Earth-born stone of brilliant hue
Your energy makes my dreams come true
Hearken to my deep desire
amidst the candle's radiant fire
Herbs of luck, prosperity
heed my call and bring to me
a better job, new opportunity

Shake the jar, seal it with a kiss and place it back on the altar. Ground and center. Thank the God and Goddess. Close the circle

Each morning after (as needed), hold the jar (clearly visualize the job you are seeking) and say:

Quote:
God and Goddess
Hear as I pray
Let good fortune come my way
Send me luck, prosperity

Shake the jar a few times, seal it with a kiss and replace it on the altar.

----------

SAMHAIN

I found this in several different places, and while it may seem more of a blessing, than an actual spell - I really liked it and wanted to share it with everyone.

Samhain Spell

Quote:
Be unafraid of shadows dark
And to their whispers do no not hark
Unfriendly words you do not hear
No worry, trouble, loss or fear
No shadow falls upon your heart
We stand together, though apart.
We stand together, ever winning
All our spells, together spinning
For every end - a new beginning
Wealthy, healthy, happy, free
If this your will - So Mote It Be!

Copyright © Maurice of Coventry Greens,
Samhain, 1994
Please feel free to copy and distribute this
spell as long as credit is given.

The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games