DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 am
Night Terrors – 246 words

When Kaalnia finally soothed the kid and put her to bed, Kaalnia found herself in a pensive mood, too pensive even for reading the funeary scrolls. This was a more personal kind of pensiveness, a reaching of her mind into the past.

She'd described her recurring nightmare to Yitzah, and that had dug up all the old fears and uncertainties. She'd thought that she was done with Ruelash and that hellish battle, that she had moved on, but now she knew that she hadn't. The nightmare had been weakened and battered, but it had not been beaten. It still lurked, beneath the surface, waiting for a chance to strike again.

Well, crap. What had she expected? Scars stayed with you, and that one would stay with her for the rest of her life. She put Popper's bubble in her hand and rolled it around in her palm. ”Yeah, I'll never be rid of it.” she said to the little fish, ”But I can keep it tame, right? I can keep it from blindsiding me, right?” Popper never had an answer, but that was fine. Kaalnia already had one.

”Yeah. It's not so bad.” she told herself, ”But you know, I'm going to have to kick his a** someday. Then it'll be pretty damn weak.” And, hey, maybe that b*****d would have nightmares of her...

Wouldn't that be nice.

In the meantime, still agitated, she started a round of spear dances, hoping to dance herself to bed...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm
I Saw Your Girl and I liked it – words
Pt 1 Pt 2

So. Yelena had someone for her.

About damn time Kaalnia thought appreciatively, as she lazed against the branch. The Hybrid had been gorgeous and she should have had people lining up at her door or whatever they had in Zena for entryways. More, she should have had a line of suitors leading right down the mountain. Kaa would have been one of them, just for the hell of it and to keep the rabble out of the way. She wasn't really suitor material, honestly, but she could be fun none the less.

She digressed.

Idly, she tapped a leaf, letting some of the trapped rainwater in its middle drip to the ground.

The point was, that Yelena had someone, and Kaalnia, well, she approved. Kiyelt seemed a nice enough guy and if Yelena was into that Kaalnia wished her well. Both of them well.

It was a shame she couldn't find anybody for herself, though... Life was kind of lonely when she didn't have anybody to make her eyes shine like Kiyelts did. Kaa kind of envied that.

But, ah well. Someone was out there for her, and they would be where she would least expect them to be. She'd find them eventually, if they existed, and that was good enough for her.

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:12 pm
New Friends – 143 words; Kaalnia, Iroia, and Votzhem

It had been a nice little surprise to meet the leaf earthling, even if she wasn't interested in Kaalnia, and, Kaalnia thought, it had been a nice distraction for Votzhem. Poor guy: he just had no luck. She knew that the right girl was out there for him – she was sure she'd met a few. He didn't seem like he should be having bad luck... she'd have to talk to him about it, maybe. Not now. He was sensitive after breakups, and who wouldn't be?

But... She smiled at the reminder, and at her full stomach and satiated feelings... Today had helped him a lot. She could see it in his step, in the way his feelers perked up. Yes, he'd be okay. And then she'd talk to him about why the girls might be leaving him in the dirt.

Only then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 am
To Undo, to Redo, to Be – Class Quest Response - 426 words

Warrior.

That was what she was now. The Elder had said so, and other had agreed and so, that was what she was. She stared at the spear that leaned against her wall, and at the talisman that hung off of it. What did that mean, to be a warrior? Did that mean that she would die like the others? That wouldn't be so bad, as dying went. The seven warriors had been heroes, dying for their tribe against those who would have conquered them. It was better than dying a coward, against some ruffian at a tournament – an event that still haunted Kaalnia's dreams, though she denied it. It was better than falling off of a tree and breaking one's neck while fooling around. It was better than living as Dyakida did, unable to fight or go anywhere without another person to guide you. There were many reasons that Kaalnia would want to die a hero.

Was that the only way to be a warrior? To fight and die for her tribe? Honestly, heroism aside, Kaalnia did not want to die. She did not want to even be badly hurt. She wanted to live. Did that mean that she wasn't a warrior? Did that make her a coward? Why did she worry so much about being a coward? What did she care what others thought?

Votzhem would never think her a coward – he'd said so himself. Pahana would never think that of Kaalnia, she was too kind. And she hadn't even fought to gain this rank – she had worked for her tribe. Was that another way to be a warrior, to do well by your tribe? To take charge of a difficult task? It seemed odd, then, that it would be called warrior. A warrior, from the word itself, was someone that made and fought in wars.

Fighter I may be. thought Kaalnia, Warrior I am not. She hated wars – especially this one. This one had not been fun or good in any way.

“Kaalnia!” came Pahana's voice, startling her and calling her outside. Kaalnia shivered, shedding some of her worries.

“Coming!” she said, taking a deep breath and closing her eyes for a moment to gather herself. Warrior or not, she was Kaalnia, and Pahana needed her help... likely to keep an eye on Ujana for her, a task Kaalnia was happy to undertake. She stood, shaking out her limbs. “On my way!” she said, stomping out her door, for all intents and purposes her usual Kaalnia self.

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 am
The Heart's Truth – 1371 Words; Baby Solo

“Hey, Mother...” Kaalnia said with a sense of false familiarity as she laid her hands against the tree's enormous trunk. Even Kaalnia could not be completely informal to her goddess, but she figured that the tree had brought her into the world to be energetic and a little flippant, so she owed Aisha some measure of that back. “I bet you're wondering why I'm here, am I right? I mean, I you probably don't get sisters coming up all the time to you just to talk... There's too many of us for that, I'm thinking. They always want something out of you, right? A baby, serious reassurance, or something. When they just want to talk, they turn to another sister first. I know – sometimes I am that sister.” she patted the wizened wrinkles of Aisha's bark, “Its kind of an obstacle course to get to you, Mother – all these traditions and rites and questions... constant questions. I get it – you're our mother and our goddess and we love you and, yeah, there's a lot of us now and nobody wants to stress you out or anything with the little stuff in our lives... I mean, I'm betting you'd want to hear it all – that's what mothers do – but I get what the guards are doing. They want to protect you, and hey, that's great! Every year we can all gather around and talk to you, and that's kind of nice.”

Kaalnia could feel a presence – great and beautiful – listening to her through the bark. It was something that wrapped around her mind, warm and familiar and patient. Aisha knew she had a point somewhere in all of this, though Aisha, of course, also didn't want her to rush to it.

“Anyway, you know me: I'm that sister who won't settle down. I flirt with any lady I meet, no matter what they are, and I don't think I'll ever find... you know... 'that one' lady for me. I'm just not exclusive, you know? And I don't want to be. The idea's just so limiting. For them, too, you know?”

Aisha was amused – she understood. She understood both Kaalnia's boundless arrogance and her equally boundless kindness.

“Heh. Yeah.” Kaalnia said, grinning. She understood herself more than people realized she did. “I mean, I am living with someone...”

The tree was intrigued.

“Not like... living, living, you know? I'm not exclusive to her too. But she needed a place to stay with her kid, and... yeah. I wanted to help, and she's pretty and the kid's cute...”

Aisha's presence stroked the image in Kaalnia's mind... of Pahana, the leaf earthling and Ujana, her daughter. A silent, wordless question filtered into her head, like rainwater making its way through the canopy.

“Nah.” said Kaalnia, shrugging dismissively. “I like her, you know? But she's not my lover or anything, no more than anybody else, right? I mean... If she wants me, I'm not gonna stop her, and I'm happy to let her stay with me and help her with her kid and be her friend and all, but I don't think I...” she hesitated, struggling to work words around the concept offered to her by the tree. “I don't love her in that way.”

Aisha understood. The presence receded from the image, returning to passive listening again.

“But, uh... That kinda brings me to what I want to talk to you about. I didn't tell the guards nothing – just that they were gorgeous... which they were. Didn't impress them much... doesn't usually... but eventually they accepted that what I had to say was private and let me pass. Guess they've gotten used to me, watching funerals and all, huh.” Kaalnia sighed, “Damn. Got distracted there... Thats not what I'm here to talk about either...”

Her mother approved of whatever she chose to do in life, Aisha reassured her, her presence seeming to stroke her hair softly. Aisha just wished she would choose a happier hobby, that was all. Now. She wanted to know Kaalnia's reason for coming to her today. Not that she minded, of course, that Kaalnia had come, but she was... curious... now. What had brought this Alkidike, so devoted to her sisters, back to her mother's boughs?

“Right.” Kaalnia felt sidetracked. It would be so easy to let that be the end of it and not mention her idea to the goddess. She swallowed and closed her eyes, her face – temporarily – very serious. “So... I said that I wouldn't find 'that' one special lady for me, right? No set mate, no set wife... you know? And I meant it, I mean, I'm kind of everybody's and I like it that way. But... one day, while I was taking care of Pahana's girl... sweetest little kiddo, you know? I just had this... Well I guess it was a revelation. That I could have a 'one', someone I could be devoted too in that kind of way. I kind of realized that it didn't have to be a mate.” She smiled, a little shyly, “You know, I've never thought about kids of my own before. But I looked around me and I saw all these sisters my age – and younger – with daughters and sons of their own and all? And I looked at myself and realized I've been obsessing over death. And I sort of... got to thinking about life too... Never thought I'd be the mothery sort, you know... but hey. I'm full of surprises.” Kaalnia laughed, but it was a nervous laugh.

“I kinda got to wondering what it would be like having a little version of me around.” she admitted, “And... if I did... she'd be my girl, my one and only. Like... I'd be devoted to her, because she'd be my kid. Maybe I'd still have girlfriends, but my heart would be hers, and I'd raise her up really well and all, and I'd get to be proud of something I did... in that special way mothers seem to get... And I think...” Her confidence and ego was failing her, as if she wasn't entirely sure. And she wasn't – this was a new idea, something fresh and completely out of the blue. “I think I'd like that. So, um...” It was something she wasn't sure she should ask for. But, being Kaalnia, she was going to do it anyway.

“I guess that's why I'm here. I'm... pleading for you to give me a little girl of my own. I mean, maybe I'm not the most responsible sister ever, but you know I'd love her and give her a good home and a good life and make sure she had lots of friends and, maybe someday, a good mate. I'd always be a fun mom too...” she continued. She was definitely babbling now, but she could feel Aisha's listening become more intense, more focused. “I wouldn't be too strict on her, not like my ma's, and I'd let her go her own path and be happy and...” she swallowed, “I'd be her friend too, you know? Not just some big tall mama, but her friend. And she could count on me. You... you know she could...” Kaalnia fell silent.

“This was a crazy idea...” she murmured, her enthusiasm deflating slightly. She stood up, slumping, her forehead against the trunk, oddly tired from her impassioned plea. “You're gonna think I'm irresponsible or something. Lots of people do. And I am, a little, but I'm a good person. You're probably not going to grant me a kid, but I hope you can see that... at least...” Kaalnia moved as if to walk away, her hand lifting reluctantly from the trunk.

Wait. Aisha told her, a touch of conciousness spectrally stroking her shoulder. Aisha had heard her plea, and would think about it. Please do not be saddened.

Kaalnia smiled weakly, a little drained from the effort of baring her soul and desires. “Allright.” she said, “That's all I can really ask, right? Thanks for...” she wiped stray tears from her eyes. “Thank's for thinking about it anyway.”

Aisha would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:50 am
Fight in the Marketplace – Versatile Prompt - 127 words

Kaalnia returned home exhausted and troubled, a little carved mammu in her hands – a gift from Dyakida. Kiki was not home from her training yet, likely at a friends' home, and so Kaalnia set the figurine on a table and lay down for some well earned rest.

Friends... What of Kiki's friends. Were they like the young lout from the Market? Would her Kiki, the blossom of her heart and the love of her life, grow up to be like that worthless example of Alkidikehood?

She covered her eyes with an arm and grimaced. It hurt to even think of Kiki as such a thoughtless, heartless person. Kaalnia would do anything in her power to stop her daughter from becoming anything like that. Anything at all.

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 am
A Gift of Love – 1325 Words; Baby Solo

Kaalnia relaxed outside, her smooth skin soaking up the suns rays that seeped through Chibale's splotchy canopy. Kaa had always loved the sun, and it's warming rays did good things for her.

“Hoy! Kaa!”

Kaalnia looked up, grinning at the Alkidike warrior that approached her and giving her a little, playful wave. “Hoy yourself, Kirjani!” she called out, “What's got a smile on your face? Good night with a lovely lady?” Kaalnia winked, and the warrior laughed. Kirjani wasn't the most serious Alkidike but a smile on her face this early in the day was unusual and not unwelcome.

“Nah... well, maybe!” Kirjani smirked, her eyes glittering as she stood next to Kaalnia, “So, I heard this rumor that you went to Aisha and pled for a lotus. Is there any truth to it?”

Kaalnia nodded, smiling shyly – an oddity for her. “Y-yeah.” she said, sitting up a little, “I pled for one.”

“Wow.” said Kirjani, her eyebrows raising incredulously, “How did that go? Did you just say 'So I woke up today and I want a kid' or 'So theres this lady I like but she's not interested, so I want a kid?'” Kirjani shook her head, “I mean, you're impulsive, Kaa, but I never thought you were kid impulsive.”

Kaalnia pursed her lips in a pout. Kirjani didn't believe her – nobody believed her when she told them. Leaves and shoots, she could barely believe it herself. “Nah, I actually gave it some thought, you know? I went to Aisha and pled for one all on my lonesome. Bared my heart and soul to our Mother, and all...” she trailed off, biting her lip.

And I have no idea if it worked.

It was a good bet that it hadn't worked, that Aisha had mulled it over and denied her motherhood. It had been a long time since the plea, and no news, and that was fine. Kaalnia understood. Kaa knew she wasn't the most responsible Alkidike in the tribe. Certainly, if Kaalnia had the power to grant babies to other people, she wouldn't give a kid to any old womanizing slob. And that was what Kaalnia was – a womanizing slob, and a loser to boot - she'd completely flubbed most of the fights she'd been in, after all. The Alkidikes were warriors, and that meant that Aisha wanted the strongest to breed and raise children, right? Surely, that meant she had been refused.

But her resolve to have that child, that love-of-her-life, still stood. Being refused was okay – she could plead again later. Roots, maybe she could get a daughter through sheer persistence – wouldn't that be something?

“Rot.” cursed Kirjani, “I just lost a bet. Now I owe a shiny beetle necklace to my sister.”

“Huh?” Kaalnia blinked, realizing she had been spacing out, “What was the bet?”

“Wooo... wow.” Kirjani continued, as if she hadn't heard, “I guess that new lotus on Aisha's branches really is yours, and that guard wasn't pulling my leg...”

Kaalnia stared at Kirjani for a long moment. “What... did you say?”

“Congratulations, Kaa!” Kirjani laughed, slapping Kaalnia's shoulder in a mixed gesture of congratulation and haste, “You're a mother... Well, you will be soon! Oh wow, wait 'til I tell the others. Nobody will believe me.”

“Y-you mean...” the expression on Kaalnia's face was the most vulnerable one she had ever worn. The curves of her face were softened by her widened eyes and half-open mouth. Her heart raced in her chest, singing its own song, as if it had already known and was shouting an 'I told you so' into her bloodstream.

“I mean, get your butt to Aisha, Kas, and pick up your lotus.”

Kaalnia scrambled to her feet, nearly tripping over herself as she stumbled inside and grabbed her spear. She returned outside and, in a fit of intense gratitutde, gave Kirjani a massive, bone-crunching hug – a typical hug for Kaalnia, backed by very un-typical tears. “Thank you.” she sniffled out, “Thank you so much, Kirjani, you have... you have no idea...”

“Trust me, Kaa...” she said, accepting the hug. Her voice was odd, a little hollow almost. “Trust me, I do.” she pushed Kaalnia away gently and playfully, all smiles again, “Now get going!”

Kaalnia didn't need to be told a third time. She raced through the Isles, which was not an advisable action while carrying a spear, but she didn't care. She wanted to see her lotus. She wanted to thank Aisha a thousand times. Kirjani had better not have been putting her on, because Kaalnia was so happy she thought she might burst.

By the time she reached Aisha's guarded roots, Kaalnia was flushed and gasping for breath, her feet aching from her run over the uneven ground of the Isles. She pointed, gaspingly mute, at the tree. The guard knew her and grinned. “So it's true, huh.” she said. Kaalnia nodded, leaning against her knees as she caught her breath, “Well, I guess I'd better show you, huh.”

Kaalnia allowed herself to be led by her arm to the boughs of the tree they all called Mother, feeling Aisha's presence surrounding her with a warm sense of welcome. She followed the guard's pointing finger to one of the thick, gnarled branches, and found herself overcome with emotion, tears stinging her eyes as an enormous smile stretched across her face.

There, on it's own twig, glowing slightly in the sun, was a soft pink lotus. It was large and perfectly formed, plump with the vitality it held within it as it gently swayed in the sea breeze. Kaalnia reached for it – she had to stand on the tips of her toes to do so – and gently stroked the soft petals with the tips of her fingers. In that moment, if she had had any doubts about the origins of the lotus, they were gone. This was her lotus, her child, and she knew it as surely as she knew her own name.

“It'll bloom soon.” said the guard, smiling at her, “So you should stay here for a while.”

“Yeah.” Kaalnia said, drawing back and looking at her lotus with a expression equally soft on her face, “That's what I'm going to do.”

~~~

The blooming of her lotus had been peaceful, all things going according to plan. Kaalnia had been a little anxious as – the mystic assured her – all mothers were. But the little baby girl inside was removed from the unfurling petals, swaddled with richly colored blankets, and handed to Kaalnia.

Kaalnia stared in wonder at the beautiful creature in her arms, caressing her happy little face and dinky little antennae. “Hello there!” she cooed, cuddling the newborn to her, “I'm your mommy. Your other mommy. Hello!” A little hand worked it's way free of the swaddling and pushed at her face, it's black eyes staring at her with joy and love. Kaalnia stared back with the same. “What should I name you, hmm? I should name you something fun to say. How about?” her mind lit on a name, “How about Kiki? But that's short, isn't it?” the baby watched her mouth with wonder, “I've gotta give you a longer name, right? One that can shorten to Kiki.” the hand found her mouth, poking and playing at it awkwardly. Kaalnia moved so that the hand was on her cheek again. “How about Kiunyki? It's a great name.” The baby wiggled, and Kaalnia took it as a sign of approval. She lifted the newly named child closer to her face, her grin beatific. “We're going to do wonderful things together, you know.” she cooed, “And I promise to be the best mommy ever. I promise it, yes I do!” The baby laughed, and Kaalnia laughed. She kissed her child's face, and all was right with the world.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:00 pm
The Bandit Cloth – 2063 words; Solo

The thrown spear hit it's mark and the large beast collapsed almost instantly – a nearly flawless kill. “Aww yeah!” Kaalnia crowed, half posing in boastful self-appreciation though there was no one around to see her as she pulled her spear free from her kill, “Kiki's getting grilled steaks tonight!” she cleaned her spear off and assessed it, “Really good steaks, too... Kaa, lady, you've seriously outdone yourself!” She said to herself, gathering up her prey with a big grin. She was delighted that her daughter no longer needed to eat soft foods – she was a real girl now, with proper teeth and an appetite to match her mother's. Ever since she had been weaned, Kaalnia found it a delight to have her daughter try her teeth on her own favorite foods. Fruit, of course, but also steak. Tasty, rare, well-grilled steak. Fortunately, though Kiunyki was picky enough to be endlessly entertaining to her mother, her mother was also picky. Kaalnia looked and acted like she could eat anything but the truth was that she was choosy about what she put into what she considered her fabulous body. There were some things that Kaalnia refused to eat, like sour fruits or bitter greens. No thank you!

Fortunately, she and Kiki liked the same things for the most part; and tonight, that thing would be steak! Kaalnia hummed happily as she hefted the beast onto her shoulder, looking forward to the upcoming dinner. Admittedly, though, Kaalnia was not the best cook. She was better than some, but that wasn't hard – her Sisters could burn soup. With embers. “No way to burn steaks, right?” she asked the dead animal sheepishly.

“Don't be so sure.” Kaalnia turned, startled at the answer. For a moment, she thought that the dead animal had spoken, or it's spirit, or something – but no, it was just an earthling. He was clearly of mixed ancestry, Shifter and Leaf by the looks of him: his skin was permanently frozen in nighttime white, and he had dark hair and green eyes that peered unreadably at her. He leaned idly against a tree, a string of daggers sheathed at his belt. He looked incredibly familiar, though Kaalnia could not place him.

“Yeah?” she said, grinning at him, “I thought that was just how you cooked them, right? Get 'em all charred on the outside? If that's the way they're supposed to be cooked, then it can't be burning them, right?”

He uncrossed his arms and uncoiled gracefully from his languid pose. “Honestly? You can burn just about anything if you cook it wrong. I once knew someone who reduced anything they attempted to cook into ash. And then they put it in water and called it soup. Worse, they called it cooking.” he smiled at her, something more cool and appraising than her own smile. “It was terrible.”

“Ahahaha...” Kaalnia laughed, sheepishly, “Yeah, I know some Sisters like that. Or how about the ones that throw everything into a pot and boil it until it's dead and slop?”

The man laughed. “Awful.”

“Haha, yeah.” She adjusted the beast's weight on her shoulders, “Well, heres hoping my daughter likes slightly burnt meat!”

“You would have to catch another one of those, then.” he said mildly.

“Why's that?” Kaalnia asked, cocking her hips quizzically, “Something wrong with this critter?” It was unlikely that it was a pet or livestock of some kind – this sort of animal made for a terrible pet and was too wild to be kept for food. It was a hunting beast and there was no mistaking it. But, it could be sick, and Kaalnia was not feeding her daughter sick beast meat... that was just gross.

“Well.” He drew a dagger and idly played with it. “It's going to be ours soon, so you won't be able to bring it home for your daughter.”

“What?” Kaalnia raised an eyebrow at him, “You're not...” she suddenly became aware of other shapes moving around her: people, she realized, hiding in the shadows of the trees. Bioluminescent light glinted on exposed blades and the sharp crystal elements of weapons. Her friendly smile faltered, “Hey, hey, hey what is this?” she asked incredulously.

“It's an ambush, Alkidike.” he said, running a fingernail along the blade. Kaalnia could see the bandits clearly now, their eyes hostile. “Hand over the carcass and whatever else you have on you of value. I'm sure a capable warrior such as yourself can catch another beast... though...” his eyes rested hungrily on her brightly colored weapon, “It may be a little difficult without your spear – we'll be taking that too – but I'm sure...” the last word was given almost oily emphasis, “you will manage.” he sucked in an appreciative breath before turning away from the spear, “Mmm, it is a gorgeous piece of work. Fine craftsmanship. Anyway...” His eyes returned to her face, “If you don't resist us, we'll let you be on your merry way, a little lighter for our trouble.” he smiled invitingly at her, “What do you say?”

“Well, you're right about that.” Kaalnia said, her gaze hardening as she shifted her grip on said spear, “It's a gorgeous weapon, made by the best – and equally gorgeous – weaponcrafter of the tribe. I was really lucky to get it done... and it's mine. It's not yours. So...” she tilted her head insolently, “You'll just have to get your own.”

The man sighed. “This isn't how this works, Alkidike.” he said, with an air of mild frustration. The bloodlust in the air intensified, and Kaalnia felt her body tense, readying itself for a fight. “We will take it. We will take everything that you have on you. We are giving you a chance to do this peacefully because you helped our troop before, with the funeral, but don't try our patience, Alkidike, or we will also take your life.”

“Nothing trying about it.” she said lightly, letting the carcass fall to the ground as she settled into a battle stance, her spear ready, “You're not getting anything off me, so if it's a fight you want...”

“Ah well.” the man interrupted her, drawing another dagger with a smooth motion, “I had so hoped you would be reasonable.” he gestured, throwing a dagger at her that she easily dodged, “Attack!” he shouted and, after a moment of tense silence, the bandits rushed at her, surrounding her on all directions.

“Oops!” Kaalnia exclaimed, well this was a predicament!

But it was also one she could handle.

She spun her spear around with a loud whoop, dodging their attacks and striking at their legs and abdomens with both the head and butt of the spear. She moved out of her dance strike, thrusting forward into the group and feeling the give of flesh before ripping it back and twisting it to strike out with the butt again.

The bandits were experienced and they knew how to fight alongside their fellows. These were no mere bandit troop – they were a family, and they fought like one too, perfectly in unison. But Kaalnia fought with her training and with the sheer exultation of battle, free of worrying about anybody but herself and with her mother's presence ever beside her.

She drew on that presence, Aisha's life force flowing through her and letting her dodge, with delicious grace, the arrows and blades flung at her by her foes. Empowered by her Mother's eternal vigor, she twisted and darted among them, managing to get away with, mainly, only a few minor injuries even as she stuck and bashed and twisted. Somewhere in the chaos, she counted – eight bandits attacking her, far less than the countless she had thought surrounded her. Eight was better than infinite, and certainly better than twenty, but she really would have preferred five, or two.

She could feel something untoward sizzling even in the shallow flesh wounds that barely bled. Poison was on their weapons – she would have to win quickly or not at all. Thoughts of Kiunyki flashed through her head and she knew that she had to get out of this alive. She would get out of this alive – she would go home to her daughter and make those steaks, and she would not burn them, damn these bandits to their roots! She struck out at the bandits again, her attacks more determined and aggressive now, more willing to draw blood. She kicked and punched and bashed and stabbed, a whirlwind of energy and battle, fighting with near-reckless abandon.

Finally – though it took her a moment to realize it – she stood in the middle of the silent woods (as silent as anything could be in Jahuar anyway.) She looked over the clearing, panting and assessing – four people down, some bleeding, but they were breathing. Two – including the man – were nowhere to be found. And one...

She tensed, blood spattered, as a twig cracked nearby. She spun around suddenly, her spear brandished and ready to meet the new threat, before lowering – it was a child, grubby and wide eyed.

“It's okay.” he said, “Cousin Amir and Kefreet went away 'cause you're too tough for them.” he said, his light voice both giggly and full of awe. He peered out over the others, curiously, and Kaalnia was suddenly glad that they were still breathing.

“They're alive.” she said, giving the kid a smile, “So... They're really gone?”

“Yep! Really gone. Amir said something about ambushing you later, but I don't think he will. He doesn't do that twice if it's just one person.” said the boy matter of factly, his expression trusting, “Only for caravans and merchants – it's worth it then, he says. And you're too tough for him anyway.” he scoffed, “I told him you were, and he wouldn't listen...”

“Oh.” It was a little unnerving to listen to this small child – another leaf-shifter mix – talk about banditry so normally and innocently, but she supposed it was not her place to judge. After all, she talked about flowers and being born from a tree, and of war and warriors, so she supposed she was odd too. “I guess I'll be going...” she said, reaching down to pick up her beast carcass.

“Wait.” he said, running over to her. There was something in his hand, a dirty, ratty bandana that Kaalnia recognized – it was the bandana from the funeral. “I wanna give this to you.”

“Are you sure?” she said, “It was your brother's right?”

“Mmhmm, and you said I should do something special with it, something he would have wanted, so I'm giving it to you... Uh, well... you said you had a daughter, right?” he said, a little shyly.

“Yeah, I do... Younger than you, by a good bit.” she said, holding out her hand tentatively. Her wounds were burning, and she was all too aware that poison could be secreted in such an item as a handkerchief. She needed to deal with what she had in her body already, not get more.

“I want her to have it! That's what I want to do with it.” he shoved the bandana into her hand.

“Uh.” she took the handkerchief, since it appeared she would have no choice but to do so, feeling it carefully for any hidden surprises – there were none. “Why?”

“I... I just do...” he cringed, looking behind him as if he had heard something scolding or calling. Kaalnia only heard the sounds of the jungle, the chirps of the insects and the screams of the beasts. “I have to go.” he gave her a smile, “Please just take it and give it to her! It's what my brother would have wanted! Honest!” And, before she could say anything more, he ran into the forest, disappearing expertly into the shadows.

Kaalnia watched after him for a few moments, but he was gone. “Well.” she said, fingering the present before putting it somewhere safe, “Okay then.” and with that, she headed home, very aware of just how exhausted she was and praying that there were no further excitements to be had along the way...

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:41 pm
What Will My Daughter Be? – 951 Words; Solo

Kaalnia sat beside her daughter's sleeping mat in the dimly-lit section of their home tree, knotting her hands gently in the dredlocks of her daughter's hair as the young girl breathed gently in her sleep. Kiunyki slept peacefully, even as her pet illo clattered restlessly in it's box. Kaalnia put a hand on it's box to still it, wanting Kiunyki to remain asleep.

She loved Kiunyki more than she had loved any other woman, in a stronger, deeper, and more lasting way. Everything had changed when she had brought Kiunyki home and into her life. Kiki was her heart, her breath, and her life – Kaalnia bend over backwards and do thirteen backflips (metaphorically, of course, Kaalnia could probably only manage two at most) if it would make her daughter happy. Though Kaalnia didn't exactly spoil her daughter, her happiness was tantamount.

She supposed it was fortunate for Kiunyki that the girl liked to earn her keep – her daughter was so far from the entitled brats raised by some of the other sister's she knew (few, to be sure, but there were enough to note), and Kaalnia was proud of that fact. Kaalnia herself had had to work hard for everything she had had. Her mother's had been strict and not particularly relenting. She agreed that working for what one had was good for a child, but she was happy to make it a little easier on her daughter. There was no harm in that, was there? There was no harm in giving her daughter what she wanted?

Kaalnia stroked Kiunyki's head, untangling her hands gently from her hair. What, then, did her daughter want? What would make her happy? Kaalnia found herself at a loss. When Kiki was younger, sweets and presents - and most of all, time with Kaalnia - would do the trick (unlike many women, her daughter found Kaalnia's personality entertaining and fun.) But Kiki was growing up... shoots and leaves, she was old enough now to start her training as a warrior! The idea filled Kaalnia with a strange and loving pride, and made her want to weep a little bit, crying both bitter tears of sorrow and sweet tears of joy for her daughters youth.

Kiunyki was growing up fast, both too fast and at just the right speed, and her desires were changing at the same dual pace. What would she want? What would she want in a year or two, when she started to enter the ranks of the tribe's warriors? What, Kaalnia wondered, would keep her baby girl happy in the times to come?

This raised a tough question. Kiunyki would change, her little girl would grow into a woman, and then what? What sort of woman would she be? Of course, she was an Alkidike, she would be a warrior, but what sort of warrior would she be? Would her Kiki be proud and fierce, a vibrant cry for blood on the wind like some of her Sisters? Would she be a hunter, preferring animal to Earthling prey? Or would she be a quieter voice, a pacifist, seeking resolution without bloodshed?

What weapon would she choose? The dual blade, swift and slicing? The spear, long and traditional? The bow, careful and skillful? And her path – the fierce Amazon, the brilliant Sacred Heart, or the mobile Guardian?

And what would she be other than a warrior – for all Alkidikes had many aspects to themselves. A dancer, perhaps, like her mother? An artisan like Dyakida? A farmer, a gatherer, a merchant?

And who would her daughter fall in love with? A woman? A man? Nobody? Surely with Kaalnia's passion behind her, Kiunyki would fall for someone, but maybe she would fall in love with a cause or an ideal instead.

The possibilities were endless.

Kaalnia sighed with adoration and cupped her freed hand to her daughter's cheek, stroking the soft yellow-green skin there as if she could feel the limitless potential within. Her daughter could, almost literally, be anything, anything at all, anything that she ever wanted to be. It was Kaalnia's job to help her, and she would, no matter what that particular anything turned out to be. She would love her regardless, and be proud of her regardless, even if that anything turned out to be a pain in Kaalnia's a**.

That was just the way of things. There was nothing that her Kiunyki could do to change the soul-deep love that Kaalnia felt for her. This would never change, not even if Kiki grew up to become a monster... or a bandit. Kaalnia let her hand drop to the tatty clothen kerchief that her daughter wore on her arm. Yes – a bandit, like the kerchief's previous owner. It was one path among many to follow and, though Kaalnia disagreed wholeheartedly with it and likely would be upset if her daughter started murdering and robbing people, she would still be proud, in a way, that her girl had found her own path. Even then, Kaalnia would be behind her, supporting her in whatever way she could, whether that meant advising her, aiding her, or bodily carrying her home.

That was just what mother's did, or at least what they were supposed to do. It was certainly what Kaalnia intended to do, a silent promise she sealed with a light kiss to Kiunyki's forehead.

“Well.” she whispered, barely audible even to herself, “Off to tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.”

And with that, she stood, careful not to make the tree's wood creak under her feet as she stepped away from Kiki's bed. She smiled stealthily, retreating down the curving stairs to her last few errands before bed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:51 am
Torn Apart – 190 Words; Meta Response

Kaalnia nursed her wounds, but the pain inside would not ease, though it was less now than it had been before. She had stood with her people, against her people, for the sake of her daughter. She could still see the fire in Kiki's eyes, and as her mother, did not dare to quash it completely. It would be a tragic mistake.

But what could she do? Kaalnia knew she couldn't change Kiki's mind – they were mother and daughter, after all. When they got an idea in their head, it stuck like a burr, the sort of thing you couldn't get out without serious tools. Like pliers.

She had saved her daughter from exile, but she knew she had to keep an eye on her, otherwise she would get herself a boat and find her way to the island of exile with her own two hands... maybe blade training would do the trick. It'd keep her mind and body active, and it would keep her alive when she ran away, because she totally would. That was her daughter, through and through. Kaalnia just had to resign herself to it.

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 am
Endless White – 984 Words; Solo

One moment had been relief, and the next, whiteness and movement, an endless tumble in a suffocating void that threatened to crush her into nothingness. This was far worse than the fight she had just survived. Ruelash, after all, had agency, a murderous will she could combat. This, however, was nature's own fury and she was powerless against it. But before she could think thoughts of death amidst the crashing and immense loudness of it all, it rolled away from her, leaving her gasping in the snow. She stared up at the sky, addled.

This was, she realized sluggishly, not where she had been. It was hard to say, though – she felt so weak and woozy. I could be back home in my tree, with Kiki, my menk, and a nice lady friend she thought, giddy with exhaustion and blood loss, And I wouldn't know it. She wanted to giggle at the thought, though she was too tired to manage more than a hoarse cough. It hurt to cough.

Something must be broken. she thought, rolling over just enough to lever herself into an upright position, Probably a rib. She'd never broken a rib before. That was new.

She wrapped herself in the coat she was thankful she'd brought, the blood and tears in the fur and leather lessening it's effectiveness somewhat as she sat there, trying to herd all of her thoughts together. She wasn't quite sure what had happened after the fight with Ruelash, but, as she herded her rationality back to her adrenaline-shaken form, she knew she at least needed to find shelter before night fell and froze her antennae and other bits off.

She stood shakily. Her body felt numb and her limbs stiff, but she managed to pull herself into a standing position and then, that accomplished, to drag herself forward through the snow and stones. If she kept to a wall, she might be able to find a cave. Of course, the cave might be inhabited... the thought – and the memories of fighting beasts with Votzhem on their long, forced journey together – almost made her giggle again. She really wasn't in any shape to be fighting.

She knew exactly what she needed though, and that knowledge kept her going forward. First, shelter. And then, some rest. And then, something warm and filling to boost her up. And then she could be terrified.

Darkness fell fast in the mountains, and Kaalnia fumbled in the deepening twilight as her tired and numb limbs moved awkwardly along. She was faintly aware that, on the pristine white snow, she was leaving a bright red trail. She was faintly aware that her life was, indeed, ebbing away and that hope was slim. But mostly, she was tired.

Finally, her body could push forward no longer. She leaned on a rock, half-collapsing against the cliff face as she turned her face to the sky. She wasn't afraid of the cold, or of predators, or even that she would never see her daughter again. She was just tired. So tired.

“Hoy, Bos!” Kaalnia was dimly aware of a presence behind her. She looked, idly towards it, but her halfhearted movements didn't reveal it to her vision. Two presences she registered, her antennae twitching, Two people. “It ain't a critter after all!” Hopefully, she roused, turning around further to witness... two earthlings.

“Different kind of critter, Ahim.” their companion poked her. Kaalnia looked at the stick with dull amusement. She didn't feel it at all. “That's an Alkidike.” their face twisted into something grotesque.

“I can see that, Bos.” They were ice earthlings by the look of it, garbed in furs and trophies. That, and their bearing, were very familiar to Kaalnia. Bandits a part of her mind supplied, a part that was somehow un-chilled and un-drained. Be wary. Easier said than done. Wariness required her have the energy to move. “We're pretty lucky about that, eh?”

“I don't see how. Alkidike are the worst sort of critter.” their companion said, “They aren't worth dinner, but they think they should rule the world.” The earthling's flung spittle turned to ice on the stone just short of Kaalnia's face. “Disgusting bug women.”

“Yeah, but what if we brought her to camp, Bos? I'm sure the other's would be happy to see an Alkidike given the 'guest treatment'.” Kaalnia couldn't begin to imagine what they might mean by that.

“You mean...?”

“Yeah. I mean, think about it. We've all lost something to 'em, so for taking revenge, this one makes for a good catch.”

The other one deliberated as Kaalnia watched, exhausted. If she had had more energy, she would have hated how much she was at their mercy, but right now they were her only hope. Otherwise, if she slept it would, truly be forever. And if I did she thought, almost drunkenly, Would I never see home, or would I make it there in dreams, or... “Allright.” the Earthling said, finally, “We'll take her.”

The other one laughed as they picked Kaalnia up off of the bloodstained snow. “Eeee! This will be fun!” they said. Somehow, Kaalnia doubted it.

~~~~

Kaalnia came to tied to a post, her hands and legs bound with tight, rough rope. She barely remembered being brought to the camp, or being tied up, or having gruel that tasted approximately like mud forced down her throat. She did, however, know that this was a bandit camp, that she was it's prisoner, and that she was somehow alive. It wasn't the kind of alive she had been hoping for, but with life and meager food came enough hope to make her smile. So she smiled, even as the bandits made her life hell...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 am
Endless Red – 1700 Words; Solo

They taunted her and spat at her, the bandit's hatred and glee palpable in the freezing air with every passing, endless day. Kaalnia was not disheartened: she taunted them right back. After all, what had she to lose? She'd researched death and the afterlife so much that the hereafter was like an old friend – one she didn't particularly want to meet, but one that she wasn't afraid to meet head on, Kaalnia style. It was through her 'friend' that she taunted the bandits, because they were cowards, truer ones than she had ever been.

Sometimes they tried to get her back, like the one prodding her with a sharp stick. “We're going to kill ye, ye know. It's gonna hurt real bad.” Another jab. “You'll see.”

“Well, you haven't killed me yet!” Kaalnia fired back.

“Soon 'nuff.” they said, their grin predatory. Sharp.

Kaalnia smiled back, tiredly but still with a little of her usual energy. “Sure, sure... say, where do you think you go when you die? Hmm?”

“We go to 'chi, bugwoman. You go nowhere.” They turned to leave, “Don't care where you go, so long as you're dead. Your Sisters killed my brothers, so I ain't picky, so long as it's painful...”

“You're wrong. Well, mostly.” Kaalnia said easily, “See, you do go to Bergchi, but you don't stop there. Do you know where you go? After that?”

“Don't care.”

“But you do.” Otherwise the bandit wouldn't have answered at all. Kaalnia knew she had them because, honestly, everyone cared a little. “She judges ya. Didn't know that, did ya? Well it's in her priest's texts, and you probably can't read, so it's totally understandable that you didn't know that. But yah! You either go to the land of Endless Spring – lichen everywhere, fruit, hot springs... nice place. Or, you know, you go to the Pit of Icicles. That's where she throws all the people she ain't too happy with.” Kaalnia babbled on. Of course, this was one version of the afterlife, among many, and some of the ones surrounding Bergchi were just You die, she welcomes you, nothing else. But Kaalnia really wanted to mess with them a little. What else could she do?

“Guess I'm going to her spring fields then.” they snorted, “'cause I'm gonna kill you, and avenge my brothers. See ya la...”

“Wrong!” Kaalnia interrupted, “See, you're a bandit, right? I can tell. You bandits have a way about you. Well, Bergchi don't much like people that prey on their own kind...”

“Bergchi favors the strong, bug. And that ain't y...”

“Bergchi doesn't favor the coward.” she said, her voice tauntingly singsong, ”Only a coward picks on their own. So...” she shifted in her bounds, “Guess it's pokey icicles for you for eternity. Yow... Ow!” Kaalnia made a yelp of her own as the bandit slapped her hard, twice, in the face.

“I ain't no coward, bug.” they snarled, showing their ill-cared-for teeth, “And you'll see that soon enough.”

“You all keep making promises to kill me.” she said after they left, snickering at their shadow as she spat out blood from a minor cut on the inside of her cheek, “Maybe one of you should actually try for once.”

-----

She soon learned why they kept her alive. The bandits untied her from the tent support that had been her home for so long, and shoved her, staggering, out into the open space between the tents. It was cold, but clear, and she could see others too. Not bandits. They were hollow-eyed with fright and hunger, shivering in the cold. All of them were earthlings, and Kaalnia was somehow relieved not to see any familiar faces among them, even as misgiving grew in her heart.

“All right, now we have our fun. Wondered what we was going to do with ya, did ye?” a bandit walked along the line of prisoners, “Wondered why we was keeping you alive, when we killed everyone around you?” a youngling, a part of the group, cried, “Well aside from you.” they said, as a concession, “We've other reasons for you. You're a lucky little b*****d, that's for sure. But the rest of you...” the bandit grinned, “Get to give us some entertainment.”

They pointed to two of the prisoners and those two were shoved into the empty space, which looked suspiciously, Kaalnia thought, like an arena ring. Their bounds were cut. “You two're going to fight to the death. The survivor gets to live another day, maybe.” Weapons were thrown into the ring, and the prisoners picked them up, numbly, before turning to the bandit.

“Please...” they said, “We are mother and son, don't make us do this... spare us...”

An arrow streaked from behind the circle of bandits, striking one of them – the son – in the chest. He fell, bleeding, his life fading even as his mother screamed.

“You don't fight, you die anyway, and we'll make it last a while.” another prisoner was sent forward.

Kaalnia watched, numbly, as the woman picked up her weapon and they began, gingerly at first, to fight. She shivered as the bandits cheered, horrified by the wrongness of it all... but unable to look away.

Yep she thought darkly, Definitely the spikey icicle pit for them.

-----

At some point, it was her turn. Kaalnia didn't want to hurt these people – these prisoners likely more innocent than she, but she also knew that she owed it to them to give them a quick death by her blades instead of a long death at the weapons of the laughing bandits.

”Mother Aisha, give me strength and make sure that their souls go where they're supposed to go...”
she whispered as she picked up the weapon offered. It was a crappy weapon, but it was a weapon. She contemplated, for a moment, using it on the bandits, but she had seen what had happened to the others that had tried that. Death had not been fast, and their screams still rang in her ears... probably in everyone's ears. Five prisoners were pitted against her, and she could see in their eyes that they had no issue with fighting her. She was an Alkidike, so recently an enemy, as bad as the bandits.

Kaalnia felt the weakness in her belly, born of untreated wounds, crushing snow, and thin gruel, and she called on her Mother's power to help her. For, though she did not fear death, though death was an old friend, she would not go to it easily. For her daughter's sake, she could not. As the prisoners came for her, vengeance and desperation in their eyes, and as Aisha's energy warmed her limbs, Kaalnia whispered an apology before leaping towards them with her weapon.

”I'm sorry...”

-----

Apparently, they liked to see her fight. That was, Kaalnia thought, probably the only reason they hadn't killed her yet. She danced on the battlefield – it was her style, not something she could help – and apparently the bandits found it amusing. They trotted her out again and again, and she had to kill for them. This was what they wanted – humiliation, servitude. She would fight for their amusement, and they would kill her at their leisure. They wanted to break her pride, but she was more annoyed than broken. She knew Aisha's energy was not meant to be used this way, to slaughter the innocent, but she wanted to return home, and this was the only way.

Or was it?

She wondered this as she faced down a young woman, barely a prentice. They were an earthling, and very pretty behind their grime. By the way they held their dagger, they were clearly not a warrior, and they were afraid. So afraid. The others had charged at her with desperate vengeance in their hearts. Kaalnia had been defending herself with them. Not this one – she'd fallen down at the first step, quivering with terror as Kaalnia approached. With her, maybe there was another way than bloody mercy.

The bandits cheered for blood and Kaalnia could hear them making bets. Would she, the vicious alkidike, take her time with the murder, or do her in quickly? Would the woman – girl really – pull a trick from her sleeve and kill the Alkidike? That would be an option the bandits could get behind, a metaphor for what they felt should happen to the tribe after the war.

Kaalnia had another option, and everyone would lose their bet. “Get up.” she whispered, “And run the first chance you get, stick anything that gets in your way with the sharp end of your dagger there, and keep running until no one is following you. Got it?”

She couldn't tell if the girl did get it. She needed to trust that she did.

Aisha willingly gave her daughter strength and Kaalnia began to do a dance, twirling distractedly in an almost comic display of aggression. She sought out a weak link in the crowd, the positions of the archers. The archers, though, were drunk. They had not needed to do their job since the first set of fights – all of the prisoners had gotten the message.

Mid dance, she struck at a boozy bandit in the front, Aisha's fury tearing into them like the roots of the great tree. She struck another and another, opening a path. The crowd boiled with chaos, and out of the corner of her eye, Kaalnia saw the girl run. She managed to track her as far as the gate until she was distracted by the bandit's grabbing for her. She fought, cutting at them with the dull iron of the sword blade until she was disarmed and until her weakened body was no longer a match for them.

----

“You made the wrong choice there, bug.” the bandits sneered. Her bounds were tight, and she knew that they would make her life a hell. She didn't know if the girl had made it out, or whether she was still alive, but Kaalnia also knew that she had done the right thing. A warrior, after all, was nothing without mercy.

Let them make her life hell. Let them tear her flesh and rend her hair. Let them torture her and kill her. She'd fought them well.

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:31 am
Barter and Haggle – Versatile Prompt - 152 words

Kaalnia couldn't wait to try on one of her outfits outside of the stall. The next time they stayed in a settlement, Kaalnia brought it out. Alkidikes were not always welcome, to be sure, but she didn't care. Kaa didn't care about a lot of things lately.

She showed off her purchases to the ladies at the fire, dancing and twirling as someone gave her a beat to dance to. She felt at home in movement, the moves of the dance, wild and free, were exactly what she'd always hoped to feel.

She never really felt that she missed her calling – she was a spearwoman, after all – but sometimes she wished she had someone to dance with. That night, though, she did, and got to take a lovely lady back to their place too! All in fun.

Life was, after all, fun, and you only got to live it once.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:12 am
Movement is a Victory – 165 words
Pt 1 Pt 2

Later, after her long journey around the granary, she pet the Raoti by the fire. It had stayed with her, and apparently trusted her enough to stroke it and hug it. Maybe it was lonely too. “I'll name you Pinpin.” it huffed, and she laughed, “Hey, it's better than Popper. Not as good as Kiunyki, though, I'll give ya that.” she sighed, “Sometimes, I can sure pick 'em...” her thoughts drifted to her daughter. Where was she? Was she all right? Kaalnia had no way to know yet, no way to find out. “I gotta believe she's okay, Pinpin.” she said, petting the fluffy creature, “She's my kid, you know? She's gotta be.” And she would be, Kaa was sure. If Kaa was okay, through all the mess that had stalked her life, then Kiki could handle this. Kiki could handle everything. “I just want to be sure, though.” she said. Ah well. Someday, she would know Kiunyki's fate. Someday, it would all be clear....  

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 am
Remembering the Past – Versatile Prompt - 852 words

Why was she not sad that her daughter had left for Yaeli? Why was she not crying, or searching for her, or setting out to drag her bodily back to Chibale? People kept asking Kaalnia this, as if this was what a mother was supposed to do. As if she had failed to protect her child from the terrible fate of exile. As if her obligation to her daughter meant crossing desert and ocean and strange and dangerous lands to find her. Some dared to say that her unwillingness to do so meant that she had not deserved to be granted a daughter by Aisha, that she was a lazy coward like she had always been. Kaalnia just smiled and laughed.

They did not understand, and she could not fault them that. She would do anything for her daughter, forget desert and danger, she would walk through fire and through pits full of monsters and thorns if Kiki needed her to. But Kaalnia also had disappeared in an avalanche, had been held captive by bandits, had been injured and scarred and nursed back to health, and had been assumed dead. What would she have wanted her daughter to do about it? Curl up in a little ball and cry? Become a perfect obedient little warrior? Of course not! What her daughter had decided to do, in response to that, had been to take action and follow her heart. Even though Kaalnia disagreed with where she had decided to go, who she had decided to go to, and how her daughter felt about Kaa's views on it, Kaalnia was still proud.

If that was where she went, if that was what made her happy, then so be it. She was happy. That was what any mother wanted for her daughter – happiness. The other people, the sisters who chided her, they did not understand - Exile was not the worst fate that could happen to her daughter. That was something else entirely.

Kaalnia had a long memory, and had led, thus far, an interesting life. War and death and pain stuck like burrs in her mind, unshakable and unforgettable. Nor did she want to. They were what had forged her, after all, sprouted her up from the shallow Alkidike kid of before into something beyond her wildest dreams: she was indefatigable, a warrior full of will and joy and energy. That was something she had never thought she could be on that fateful day of the tournament, when the iceling had nearly killed her.

They had thought her a coward, a weak link in the tribe. She had cracked under the force of battle, and had been abandoned to her fate. She had had friends, yes. Plenty of them. They had supported her and they had worried over her. But even they wondered if she would survive the nightmares that plagued her, or if she would walk into the hungry jungle and die.

Fighting had once been fun, like a dance with blades. It had been a game, just a trial between Sisters. All in fun. That day, though, as her blood stained the arena's sand, and as the iceling had stabbed her with murder gleaming in his feral eyes, she had seen what fighting truly was. Fighting was the act of harming another. She knew it should not be taken lightly.

That tournament had started her on the long and winding road that had brought her here, to who she was now. Kaalnia had been broken, repaired, and broken again by war, so why was it that she felt so complete now? Had it been raising Kiunyki that had done it? Had the bandits, in their cruelty, somehow fixed her instead of breaking her? Had it been Votzhem's constant companionship and kindness that had done it? Had it been Pinpin, her Raoti? Or had she simply grown strong?

Kiunyki, in leaving Chibale, Andile, and Jahuar itself, had shown that same sort of strength. Instead of breaking, she had bent and adapted. She had traveled across Tendaji, following her heart. Her road was different, and Kaalnia respected that. She had done what she could to change Kiki's mind about the Extremists, but in the end, there was only one person who could change Kiki's mind – Kiki herself. If Kaalnia's will had not been enough to convince her, then Kiki would deal with the consequences of her actions and that was that. As long as Kiki was alive, well, and truly believed that this was what she wanted to do, Kaalnia would not stand in her way. She had no right to.

Consequences, both good and bad, were everything to Kaalnia. They were what made you into who you were. You made your decisions, and you dealt with what resulted. As long as you had no regrets, all was well. As a consequence of her decisions, Kaalnia was strong. She was happy. She appreciated life as it was lived, and, whatever new world-shaking event it threw her way, she knew she was ready for it. Kiki would just have to be ready, too.

◈ Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff