Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
For me the biggest problem seems to be supply. If there are more components then alchemy should already be a much better feature.

So Gaia should either:
A) Find a way to increase the amount of components needed (drop rate via daily chance, a common drop from RIGs, buyable from store or whatever works better)
or
B) Change the components needed to things that we have a lot of and can farm a lot of. Like instead of a Sherbert, ask for 1000 dragonflies. Or even ten thousand.

I probably said something someone else already said but there were a lot of posts to scroll through. xP
The Real Ryu Hi
Knights Jester
I believe they're being given out in giftboxes and daily chance.

Huh, you believe? So....has anyone here gotten one that way? Honestly I don't see any point in wiggin' out until we're sure on all the details, right now most of the recipes cost things that are from other RIGS, or use items that haven't been released yet and may well cost a fortune. Thus still making it cost more to make the item than it would to just buy a crud load of them and hope you get lucky.

I'm not one to panic until all the details are available, right now people who own those super rare items can still sell them for the outrageous price they believe they are entitled to, and now people who got "fail" items are making some gold too, because the recipes use those as ingredients.

Yes, I got a formula from a blue giftbox yesterday.

Unbeatable Vampire

18,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Tussies
The Real Ryu Hi
Knights Jester
I believe they're being given out in giftboxes and daily chance.

Huh, you believe? So....has anyone here gotten one that way? Honestly I don't see any point in wiggin' out until we're sure on all the details, right now most of the recipes cost things that are from other RIGS, or use items that haven't been released yet and may well cost a fortune. Thus still making it cost more to make the item than it would to just buy a crud load of them and hope you get lucky.

I'm not one to panic until all the details are available, right now people who own those super rare items can still sell them for the outrageous price they believe they are entitled to, and now people who got "fail" items are making some gold too, because the recipes use those as ingredients.

Yes, I got a formula from a blue giftbox yesterday.

Okay then, but what does it take to make the item you got a formula for; Probably something from another RIG....thus making it next to impossible to make the item, right? I mean let's take the Chestnut Princess Locks as an example here (assuming you have level seven alchemy to begin with), it takes two Flaxen Princess Locks and two of the red ones, there aren't even that many of the Flaxen ones on the marketplace (there is one listing). Thus making that formula useless. Many of them are this way right now, requiring items that don't exist anymore, that came from RIGs, or come from some mysterious random source, so I'm not too worried about people going and making hundreds of them, because it's just not possible for them to do that.

Unbeatable Vampire

18,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Yilanti Midnight
For me the biggest problem seems to be supply. If there are more components then alchemy should already be a much better feature.

So Gaia should either:
A) Find a way to increase the amount of components needed (drop rate via daily chance, a common drop from RIGs, buyable from store or whatever works better)
or
B) Change the components needed to things that we have a lot of and can farm a lot of. Like instead of a Sherbert, ask for 1000 dragonflies. Or even ten thousand.

I probably said something someone else already said but there were a lot of posts to scroll through. xP

Now this is a good idea, they can make it outrageous as they want, but this way it's not asking us to use RIG items to make it.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Okay, so... here goes.

I was willing to give the whole alchemy thing a little leeway at first. It's a brand new feature, so I figured there were obviously going to be some kinks to work out. But after looking things over and reading quite a few posts in quite a few threads, I've got to say that alchemy, in its present state, was badly executed. I would've loved to have been able to participate in this brand new feature. I would've loved to make small-end items like the Aspiring Alchemist badge over and over again just to get my skill levels up to graduate to a higher level. However, this simply isn't an option for me. Why?

Ingredient availability.

Some ingredients are easily attainable. Like the summer tops we get all the time in the Daily Chance. Goldfish can be bought in the gold shops. Goldfish drops, well... you can either wait 2 weeks for your goldfish to go kaput or you can buy a goldfish drop in the Marketplace for relatively cheap. Other ingredients... not so much. This is an ingredient for an item that costs 70,000 gold to craft. Now... why on earth would I pay 10,000,000 for the ingredient when the item I actually desire is 9,930,000 gold less? That's incredibly off-putting. Had the ingredients to make an item I truly desired more readily available, I'd have happily plunked down 70k to try and craft it. And with a failure possible, it's safe to say I'd be willing to pay that 70k more than once to try and successfully create that item.

But not now. Until special ingredients are much, much more readily available, I can't even fathom giving alchemy a shot.

Feisty Fairy

15,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Object of Affection 150
just like the person above said, ingredient availability, =/ im alrdy finding that the items i want to make, i cant even find the any listing of the ingredient.... love the new items though, but i want to be freaking ABLE to get them. just like everyone else. gonk gaia dooo something, u cant just keep alchemy thing as it is

Khaleesi

Bleeding Apocalypse
Okay, so... here goes.

I was willing to give the whole alchemy thing a little leeway at first. It's a brand new feature, so I figured there were obviously going to be some kinks to work out. But after looking things over and reading quite a few posts in quite a few threads, I've got to say that alchemy, in its present state, was badly executed. I would've loved to have been able to participate in this brand new feature. I would've loved to make small-end items like the Aspiring Alchemist badge over and over again just to get my skill levels up to graduate to a higher level. However, this simply isn't an option for me. Why?

Ingredient availability.

Some ingredients are easily attainable. Like the summer tops we get all the time in the Daily Chance. Goldfish can be bought in the gold shops. Goldfish drops, well... you can either wait 2 weeks for your goldfish to go kaput or you can buy a goldfish drop in the Marketplace for relatively cheap. Other ingredients... not so much. This is an ingredient for an item that costs 70,000 gold to craft. Now... why on earth would I pay 10,000,000 for the ingredient when the item I actually desire is 9,930,000 gold less? That's incredibly off-putting. Had the ingredients to make an item I truly desired more readily available, I'd have happily plunked down 70k to try and craft it. And with a failure possible, it's safe to say I'd be willing to pay that 70k more than once to try and successfully create that item.

But not now. Until special ingredients are much, much more readily available, I can't even fathom giving alchemy a shot.

Not only that, but often the quantity of said items is ridiculous. It's like they have no concept of how many of the items actually exist.

Invisible Hunter

Knights Jester
sug chan
I've tried so hard to get some awesome RID items but I have never been successful sadly enough. I can't say that I really feel bad for the people who think it'll be easy crafting more of these items because it still gives you a RIG it doesn't give you a guaranteed item, am I correct in thinking this or am I not? So there for they are not getting another item they're getting another CHANCE to get the desired item.
I only quoted this part because I didn't read most of your post (I apologize; I'm really tired right now), and I can give an answer to this one.
It gives you formulas to create actual RIG items, aside from RIGs on their own.
Example 1
Example 2

It's perfectly fine that you didn't read it all or quote it all; no offense whatsoever!

And yes I knew about this, but you must think then how much of each item it's still going to require you to get just to make such RIG items for sure. I can't say that I'm pleased to see that they have the actual item so you don't have to waste AS much time effort and money to get it through crafting a RIG it's self but it's not any better in my opinion.

Beloved Humorist

So is there any actual logic to that alchemy crap or is a really horrible idea for a gold sink?

Khaleesi

Button has been added for supporters. It's located at the bottom of the first post. Be sure to check it out =) !
Angel in a Bottle
Button has been added for supporters. It's located at the bottom of the first post. Be sure to check it out =) !

Added!

Anxious Elder

8,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Angel in a Bottle

Not only that, but often the quantity of said items is ridiculous. It's like they have no concept of how many of the items actually exist.

Well, that's the root of half the problem.
They don't.

Some say this feature was meant to be a gold sink to lower inflation, but at the moment, it seems to be working in reverse, everything is getting more expensive.
The point I sympathize with the most is that it seems unfair that people who payed for their RIG's and EI's, either solely for the exclusivity, or simply to donate, now have to face their "cool exclusive item" being readily available to anyone who can craft it. (the ingredient prices make this impractical now, but that won't stay the same forever)

Candyy Mann's Sweetheart

Stuffed Waffles

IMO, saving up gold for the actual item is better than spending gold on the ingredients needed to make the item. Waste of gold. . . /:
I have rather mixed views on all this. I'm really excited for the new feature, but agree it wasn't so well thought-out. The thing I disagree with most is the argument against crafting for old items. Yes, their value will depreciate a little, but if the ingredients are still crazy expensive, it probably won't affect it too much. Also, things like the Pale Marionette were so rare and expensive that there was no way in hell a normal user would get one without selling just about every item they owned (and then some) only to find that it still wasn't enough and that the only two or three listings were already gone.

As for the poor people who paid for their stuff...if such things were meant to be "donations" in the first place, then what's the bother in the item's value dropping? A donation is meant to be made with no thought of profit in return. Anyone who actually bought things to donate shouldn't care about this. And isn't it more unfair to have items which are available to people who are willing to spend real-world money while denying the same item to non-cash users? I'd have no problem with this as far as items that can be bought with either gold or Gaiabucks, but as for items only available for paying members, I think this levels the playing field just a tad in that respect.

As a whole, however, I agree with the petition. Mainly in the way that the recipes, ingredients, and such are currently being handled. I actually don't think valuable items (MCs, items from GICs, etc.) should be used at all for ingredients. Things from the shops, items won from games perhaps, and things found around the site or in Daily Chances seems a great idea; turn unwanted or otherwise useless items into something you like or that you might actually be able to sell. However...I think it's insane to have recipes require already expensive items. I wouldn't mind if they demanded very large amounts of materials gathered in the way I mentioned, it would still be better than having to use just one item worth hundreds of thousands of gold.

Anyway...I'm interested in seeing how things progress.

Benevolent Humorist

10,940 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
This is one of the best, if not the best, arguments about the new alchemy feature I've seen. I have to thank you for interjecting some sanity and logic, as threads whining and screaming obscenities aren't going to solve anything.

I genuinely like the idea of an alchemy feature. I was very excited to see the announcement. However, being able to craft items that came from RIGs and cash shop items that I spent actual, real world money on to support the site comes as a nasty blow. I know other users who missed out might want these items, but there's always questing. Being able to craft them now completely disregards those past donations. And the fact that most of the recipes require items that are far more expensive than what you're even trying to create is ridiculous. I couldn't help but think, going through the recipe lists, 'Who thought that would be a good idea?'

I love that there are new items, and cool recolors. I would be very happy to work on alchemy to gain those, but not at the moment. I really do hope Gaia is listening to what people have been saying, and change this around a bit. We managed to get cigarette items back (my what a fun few days that was), but they have somewhat of a history of ignoring vast complaints. Time will tell, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff