14,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
Penn Almasy
Anakha the Silver
Penn Almasy
Anakha the Silver
I'm waiting on everyone in here to turn on Lanzer when he can't pull off the miracles you guys want. Sure, he'll be able to fix some things, but there are other things that can't be fixed at this point without shutting down the site, nuking our gold and inventories, etc.

So please guys, keep your hopes realistic?
The happiness comes from finally having someone who at least we KNOW gives a s**t about this site taking control of the helm again.

Yes, there are probably some hopes and dreams that are, at least as of right now, pretty unfeasible (e.g. rezzing zOMG! in a safe form). But it's baby steps towards a long recovery.
I wish I had faith in the masses not turning on him. Because I guarantee you that when he can't deliver on the miracles people want, they will.

This isn't Tumblr or a *chan. The masses can also be convinced to not freak out and lash at a man who has a very loaded plate in front of him.
Tumblr isn't that much different from Gaia and you're damn deluded if you think it is. People are people. If you think they can be convinced, then look at how they still worship TekTek despite being told that Tekton did illegal things and that's why he was told to take TekTek down. But nope, still big bad greedy Gaia's fault that someone did something illegal.

OG Noob

10,775 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • OTP 200
  • Team Jacob 100
lanzer
Penn Almasy
Holy s**t, Lanzer's back? eek

Wow. There is some hope for this site yet.

If I wanted him to fix anything, I'd have him look at the economy first. He'd have to somehow undo literal years of damage to the economy and find a way to safely drain a lot of the billions floating around until numbers get back to normal. Then I'd do a looooot of price-fixing in the shops to reflect this loss of gold. Finally, I'd like him to just...get rid of the gold gens and make shops like Dernier*Cri matter again.

Ghost of War
May I suggest that you all resurrect Johnny Gambino somehow (or turn him back from diedrich)?

Nah. Johnny should stay dead, but I do agree on Diedrich being stamped out of existence.

No s**t! I'm really back!

Yes the horrible state of the economy is one of our top priorities. We have to do a lot to get things back to the way they were. We can do it, but it will be a lot of work. I'll share with you all some ideas that we have once we get them more thought out. We're also transitioning away from gold gens. Hard to imagine it existing.

Thank you.

On Christmas 2 years ago, literally days before the inflation, I purchased 200 dollars worth of Gaia Cash only to have the market inflate and leave me poor... Like seriously, I was poor as hell right after spending 200 dollars worth of Gaia Cash.

Now I'm not poor, I hope you can fix the market inflation but do it without making all of us poor <3

Tsunova's Other Half

Skilled Streaker

All I want is my sushi errors crying

Mind-boggling Shapeshifter

i wish we could bring back gaia cinemas but I know that's a pipe dream 'cause of copywrite issues
oh sigh i miss cinemas so much crying

Alien Duck

Slutty_Eddie
lanzer
My heart is really in having a great guild system. It still baffles me how we never reached the level that I wanted to be with guilds.
The guild system failed because of three reasons.

1. The good guilds just duplicated the forums with less people, which having a lot of people is the whole point of a forum system. The C&T regular guild, for example, was just an extension of our hangout thread. Most of the active guilds currently are basically just regular hang outs, which mostly duplicate other hang outs.

2. The unique guilds were very difficult to find. For example, I was browsing for German speaking guilds last month, because my goal is to learn Deutsch by 2020. I was unable to find an active one in an hour of searching, even though there are many advertised.

3. The whole guild system is harder than using a forum anyways. There are many more steps in checking a guild compared to checking the forums.

TL;DR: So you have a guild system that is hard to get people to join, hard to get people to participate, and didn't add value to what gaia already has.

That's why I was suggesting going to a reddit-style multi-view, so the guilds would be different than the forums and there would be some added value to guilds. IMHO, I think everything should be that style, but i think maybe a hybrid system would work, too.

Guilds were a part of Gaia that I most enjoyed back between about 2009-2012. I spent at least half, maybe more, of my time on Gaia in guilds. I helped run the LD reg guild for a few years and my experience was that it was only useful when the forum was very active. At the high point, back in like 2010 or so, there were so many active threads and casual posters that a reg guild made a great place for people that posted often to get to know each other on a more personal level. The LD had "support threads" that were like hang out threads, but for a very specific topic, like pregnancy, trans issues, disabilities, etc. The guild offered somewhere for people that posted in the wide variety the forum covered to hang out without derailing every forum thread into a chat thread between regs. And there were other specific issue Guilds that grew out of the forum, as well. Years ago I was in active guilds for responsible drug use and polyamory that came from the LD community.

I don't even post in LD anymore, because it's so dead and what's left is often spammy. I just stick to ED and the News forum now, which are still barely dragging along. LD is basically a useless forum now. Good discussion threads get moved to even more dead subforums when they finally come along. I think the reason a lot of guilds have died is just that the forums aren't healthy. You need a big, active community to foster these smaller, more specific communities. The point of guilds is to get people together with a specific interest, whether it's for one of the forums, a hobby, etc, but doing that requires a large amount of those people to actually be active on Gaia. They require at least a few people that are really dedicated to keeping up recruiting and keeping the members interested, but the big thing is that they rely on a large, active userbase to actually recruit from.

I think the reason guilds died is entirely because Gaia itself started hemorrhaging users. Guilds just exist in a way that they're always going to be the first thing that suffers when the userbase shrinks. If Gaia can't even maintain enough users to keep their subforums mildly active, hoping to keep Guilds active is an impossibility. I like the format Gaia uses, with forums and guilds. I don't think that's what they need to change. They need to rollback to when Gaia was actually active enough to support guilds and try to go in the right direction this time. Personally, I don't like Reddit and find it more unwieldy than Gaia's format. I think a big change like that could end up backfiring with the people that have actually stuck around because they like Gaia's format and hoped the site would just get back on track. I think they should focus on the changes that originally started losing members, not try to go in an entirely different direction with the site. Consolidating the forums and culling subforums might actually be more helpful than division right now. With the small userbase, I think they need to focus more on facilitating growth of active discussion, rather than dividing up and creating more dead/low reply discussions. Subforums are already killing forums like LD, so I don't think a Reddit style splicing up would be helpful.

Dedicated Rogue

18,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
God, it's good to hear Lanzer is back. I stuck to lurking once management had changed hands, when the economy started tanking. Yet I always managed to keep coming back, occasionally buying an item or two, waiting out the crazy storm that has been the last couple of years.

I know things aren't going to be exactly like they were in my heyday back between 09-12, but maybe this revival of Gaia will be what saves it. All of my friends have moved on from here, I barely talk to any of them anymore, but maybe there'll be a new wave of people to talk to soon enough. Though it may be a bit weird now that I'm not some snarky, sarcastic teen, and am now a grown 23-year-old person with a full-time job. Probably one of the older users who still managed to stick it out.

I'm very thankful Lanzer is back. Hearing he came back put the spark back in me to return and continue my charity. I know it'll take time for him and his staff to change/fix/sort out things, but I have a lot of faith and I'm happy to be patient. heart

Mind-boggling Shapeshifter

Serenith

I'm very thankful Lanzer is back. Hearing he came back put the spark back in me to return and continue my charity. I know it'll take time for him and his staff to change/fix/sort out things, but I have a lot of faith and I'm happy to be patient. heart

Me too I haven't donated to gaia as much as I've been donating now (since lanzer came back) in a VERY long time.
Rementa
Serenith

Me too I haven't donated to gaia as much as I've been donating now (since lanzer came back) in a VERY long time.

It definitely makes me feel more comfortable about it!

Unholy Knight

10,575 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Serenith
Rementa
Serenith

It definitely makes me feel more comfortable about it!
Same here!

Unholy Knight

10,575 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
lanzer

I want the ability to tip guild posts for reasons. lol

User Image

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
lanzer
My heart is really in having a great guild system. It still baffles me how we never reached the level that I wanted to be with guilds. I have to be honest that we will be focusing on some of the more major features first, such as improvements to forums, but it is my wish to have a guild system that is even more popular and enjoyable than the forum itself.

Thank you for this, Lanzer! This in an investment in the most devoted, charitable and community-oriented members of your site, and making the Guild forums more functional and re-invigorating the community through improvements to the economy (which disproportionately impact newer users in addition to being disheartening to all of us) will only increase activity in places where we build long term ties. I'd be so excited to see us having up to date forums, let alone a more enjoyable Guild system as you've described.

I've been a longterm, active user of the Guild system and while I've seen Guilds come and go (particularly when features such as Booty Grab or zOMG! have disappeared or become redundant), I know that they're a large part of the reason people stay - close-knit subgroups are almost always the reason I've seen people stay active long term. As fun as dressing up is, without specific areas to share common interests, Gaia just isn't the same. I can see things improving through allowing us to tip and subscribe to threads (Just to get that instant sense of connection to the Guild) alone. I'm not sure if I should drop this here, but Nenanah has put together a petition for a Guild Update that has a number of suggestions and comments throughout, here.

I've been tentative about hoping for these types of changes based on the past several years and was considering leaving, but you've been very open and spoken directly and honestly about the things that concern the most devoted Gaians, so something about this has helped put me at ease.

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
lanzer
No s**t! I'm really back!

Yes the horrible state of the economy is one of our top priorities. We have to do a lot to get things back to the way they were. We can do it, but it will be a lot of work. I'll share with you all some ideas that we have once we get them more thought out. We're also transitioning away from gold gens. Hard to imagine it existing.

*punches air*

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
Katulain
lanzer
We're also transitioning away from gold gens. Hard to imagine it existing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
lanzer

My philosophy is this - as a member of Gaia staff, we need to proof to all Gaians that we're focus on bringing you all great features, creative events, and a fun place that you would like to call home. And we would ask for your monetary support if you deem that our efforts are worth supporting. We're not at that point yet, and I hope that in 2017 we can proof to you that we are a team who see your interest and enjoyment comes before everything else.

I'm sorry to spam you with Notices, but bless you for this. We've been terribly disengaged from Gaia's higher ups these past several years and you've been very honest with us, which I appreciate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff