Welcome to Gaia! ::

Been trying to grow out my natural hair, though end up dying the whole head every once in
awhile due to the fact that I have a lot of copper tones and it just looks awful. My natural hair colour
is blonde, had been dying it red for ages now I'm just tired.

I actually liked my natural hair colour, but people constantly irritated me calling me Goldy Locks,
and just constantly making fun of me because of my hair-colour (I was in 5th grade and didn't really
know better so I asked my mom if I could dye my hair.) Which funny enough was in a couple of
months ago, the ombre effect. Had it natural ombre when I was a kid because I used to swim every
day and the tips ended up being bleached by the water, so moderately natural ha.

Used to straighten my hair every day also because people would constantly make fun of me due to
having wavy hair also.

Looking back at it, ... people made fun of my hair due to it being blonde and wavy? I have some old
pictures of me when I was a child and my hair was gorgeous.

Hygienic Reveler

br0wneyed-babe
Averiyx
Princezz Brianna
Black women are always taught that their natural hair is ugly and I never understood why. Of course, curly hair doesn't work on EVERYONE, but I think it looks fine. I don't know why they get these odd looking weaves when their natural hair looks much better.

I have naturally curly hair and society tells us that you need straight or Victoria's Secret model beach wave hair to be beautiful, but I disagree. I like wearing it curly and straight.

It's due to several factors, trying to fit the Western aesthetic of beauty, internalized racism, many don't know how to care for their natural hair type, discrimination in the workplace, etc. It's a lot to have on your shoulders, and it starts as soon as you're born. I got teased on the bus home everyday for weeks when I entered the first grade, by girls much older than me, because my hair was nappy. Caused me to get my first relaxer.

(Not singling you out btw, I've seen this kind of question asked before and I wanted to address it)

It's okay! It's good for me to understand because I've never experienced any of it first hand. I don't have African American hair but I do have very curly hair and I got made fun of for the same thing. Why is it so frizzy? Straighten it! You'd look sooo much prettier with straight hair! Curly hair is gross! Sigh. Any hair type can look good if you take care of it and work with it.

True! I have straight, fine hair, and it looked about as bad as anyone else's for the first twenty years of my life XD I found out that layers are a thing after that, and now my hair doesn't look like a second skin. I think everyone goes through some crap like that in school...I always wanted curly hair, if it makes you feel better! And I've always thought black hair was awesome--you can do way more cool things with it than you can with hair like mine.
I love the hell out of my hair. (4C hair type, by the way)
I used to get it relaxed mostly because my parents thought my natural hair was too hard to maintain and my dad preferred straight hair (even though it grew out of my damn head). I transitioned through 2010-2011 and I'll be natural for 2 years in September.
It's actually easier to manage now, I have so many style options to get creative with, I don't use any heat, and my hair defies the laws of gravity, which makes awesome updos possible. And all I've been getting is compliments.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I dont embrace my natural hair because that s**t is too hard for me to deal with. I remember when I tried to go natural and I looked horrible and did a lot of heat damage to my natural hair.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

I always tint my hair to a warmer shade (it's naturally ashy-dark brown and yuck) to go better with my olive-tonned skin.
              But besides that, I looooooove the slight wave my hair has when it dries.
              It's amazing, and I love my hair dearly.

User Image
3.5mil/9.5mil

Kawaii Shapeshifter

10,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
me mow, come embrace it! feel the love! biggrin

Dangerous Duelist

16,700 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
I have started to love my hair.
I was called medusa and made fun of a lot for having unruly curls. Too many people don't know how to tame curly hair, my mother being one of them. So they tried to straighten it constantly. Blow dryers, irons (for clothes!!), flat irons, relaxers. gonk gonk gonk

I've gotten over all that. I shaved my head last year and I've been growing it out since. I stopped blow drying it as much, and it's just lovely now. Sure it's a really short fro right now, but it's cute. It's me. 3A is pretty cool.

In a relationship with ur ddy

The Committee Staff Gatekeeper

Before I thought straight was the way to go, so I would get perms. It took me ....moving out to make this decision to go natural and I love it so far, my hair isnt brittle and breaking off . My only problem is finding a nice curl definer.

Shy Cutie-Pie

6,350 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Timid 100
User Image
♪ ~I'm not exactly fond of my natural colouring... So I dye my hair jet black. As for styling, I just blow dry it after showers with my head turned upside down for volume, straighten the top layers and then braid it or use hair sticks. My hair is down to my tailbone and it's pretty healthy.~ ♪
User Image

Shameless Noob

5,250 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Yep, I do. I've never dyed my hair any other color (ok, part of that is because it costs money that I don't have and it's a lot of upkeep).

I've found it behaves better when I'm nicer to it.
Sakura Parfait
Um I don't remember being taught that the hair on my head is bad and ugly, and I don't know anyone else who did, either.
If you don't have flat or wavy hair, you'll find that people around you pressure you to flatten it. Curly haired women are looked at as if they are lazy or "********" (I hate that word).
I'm okay with my hair. I have good hair days and bad ones but I still love my hair. It's naturally dark brown, wavy/curly and super thick. As a kid it was really, really curly to the point that it grew into a fro. I straighten it sometimes but it's very time consuming so I apply mousse to it instead since it so much faster and easier.
As a kid I really struggled with my hair. Well, when I was young, I had pin straight hair that just feel and I was really happy with that, but once I hit puberty my hair became curly. As an angsty, awkward kid going through puberty who knew nothing about curly hair or how to take care of hair, it was a rough five or six years. I was bullied relentlessly for my "fro" (I do not have "black" hair, I never had a legit fro, my hair was just poofy). Kids would pull my hair and say thing like "I can't believe thats real is that a wig?!".

Through middle school I straightened my hair. Every. Day. My hair was long and thick, so straightening was a huge chore. Being a dumb kid with bad hygiene, this caused my to not wash my hair more than twice a week. Like. Not get it wet, period. So my hair would get greasy and gross, it also was pretty dry. My ends were pretty bad. I remember wearing my hair naturally curly one day after I had been straightening it all year and I was called a "poodle" by everyone, this pretty much cemented me straightening my hair for the rest of the school year.

Luckily by my second year of high school I got my s**t together and came to accept my thick, dark curls for their natural beauty. TBH I think the fact that curly hair became/is trendy really helped me, though. I don't know if I'd be rocking my natural curls if they weren't stylish. It's ironic, the curls that used to get me taunted and bullied are now envied. People who I had been going to school with for years, who apparently forgot my hair was curly (??), asked often "Oh my gosh, do you curl your hair?", "Are those curls natural?", "I'm so jealous, your hair is gorgeous!".

Big Star

10,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Wall Street 200
  • Nerd 50
going to a school where almost every girl straightens her hair and applies 50 gazillion products to make it stay the way they want it, i was at first sucked into this culture and straightened my hair daily. after realizing how much damage i was doing to my hair, i decided i wanted to be different and embrace my natural thick, curly/frizzy hair. a lot of people have complimented my hair and how nice it is that show off my curls. today, my hair is so much healthier and i feel beautiful and confident.
yea i embrace my hair its naturally wavy and thin. i get lazy to straighten it so i use garnier fructise products for when i;m going out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff