Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should Blonde be banned?

Yes, people suffer discrimination because of it 0.032110091743119 3.2% [ 7 ]
No, the word is not bad only how it can be used 0.49082568807339 49.1% [ 107 ]
Gaia should bann all Slurs and Slangs they hurt people 0.041284403669725 4.1% [ 9 ]
Gaia should take it case by case and use their judgement based on how the word is used 0.11009174311927 11.0% [ 24 ]
Wha? 0.3256880733945 32.6% [ 71 ]
Total Votes:[ 218 ]
1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 >

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
-= Due to a few people that with to make it out this is a "mock" petition, let me clarify. it is not. the basis for this petition is that if one slur is banned, we should then do it equally to all slurs. Why is it ok to use one slur or phrase and not to use another? Whose pain and hurt emotions are greater? Who has a bigger right to say they have the bigger offense visited upon them because of a slur on gaia? Which slur is acceptable and which is not? Why should some have the privilege to get things banned but others arent? Who doles out this privilege? With that, this petition. There is a very real prejudice in many forms all over the world against blonde...so why is that not as important as someone else's perceived racism? =-

-=Please read both the first and second posts before replying=-

Ok, as you see my avi is blond. I have several family members that are blonde.
And due to some here making disparaging comments like "dumb blonde", "ditzy blonde", "bimbo blonde" etc....I feel the word should be banned.
Due to its negative connotations, it has now become a slur against any
that have such hair color.
Blonde discrimination:
What is it? it is the perception and perpetuation of the "dumb blonde", "ditzy blonde" sexual "blonde" stereotype. It is the behavior that some visit upon those that are blonde haired, either by genetics or by choice(dye). It is the "jokes" in media and everyday life all over the world of the "blonde jokes".
To denote someone as "being blonde" when not refering to a hair color, is to denote them as being low of intelligence.
examples of this are, "she was blonde in all ways but hair color", "she/he was acting like a true blonde", or "I was having a blonde moment". Of course the "blonde jokes" which all entertain the ideal of the "dumb blonde".
Examples of the blonde stereotype are often quite apparent. look at almost any media and you can find examples of the "stereotype" blonde. Look in neigh any joke book and you will find a "blonde joke".
In the work place it can be more extreme. The perception of blonde being of low intelligence can actually (and has in some cases) detrimine a persons ability to "move up the ladder" or to be taken seriously.
In schools a child is often treated differently. a girl may be seen as more sexual, of lower intelligence or both "the bimbo blonde".

Unfortunatly it is not often taken seriously. after all it is "just a hair color". except for some it is
more then that. It is part of who they are.
We do not expect people to change their skin color. We frown on "racial slurs" yet accept the
"blonde" stereotype with nothing more then a smirk or a WTF?
Examples of Blonde prejudice are:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23906497-2,00.html

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=504810

http://www.bullying.co.uk/feed_item.aspx?feed_id=844

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=24&art_id=vn20041124035214167C871988

to just list a few.

We will denounce slurs against a persons color, or race or even religion. But blindly scoff at the
idea of blonde perjudice. Is that fair?
There -are- ethnicities that have a high propensity for blonde as well
This can have a double edge effect. Their is the belief that the "supreme race" is blonde and blue eyed. A stereotype in itself. Some viewing it as benificial some seeing it as a burden laid on them from others perceptions.
The other steroetype is the "dumb blonde" race. The old perception of the "tall, blonde blue eyed swedish bimbo".
This facet, makes it also applicable under a "racial slur".

The argument posed by some is that it is not a slur.
The definition of a slur is:
Quote:

A slur:
tr.v. slurred, slur·ring, slurs
1. To pronounce indistinctly.
2. To talk about disparagingly or insultingly.
3. To pass over lightly or carelessly; treat without due consideration.
4. Music
a. To glide over (a series of notes) smoothly without a break.
b. To mark with a slur.
5. Printing To blur or smear.
n.
1. A disparaging remark; an aspersion.
2. A slurred utterance or sound.
3. Music
a. A curved line connecting notes on a score to indicate that they are to be played or sung legato.
b. A passage played or sung in this manner.
4. Printing A smeared or blurred impression.

To speak disparagingly or to insult. Isnt saying to someone "you are acting like a true blonde" to denote an act that is "dumb" not an insult? isnt that saying that simply to be a blonde means you are ditzy or dumb? -that- is a slur.
There is no "vilifying word" to it such as dumb or ditzy..the word itself is understood to denote someone of low intelligence.
That makes it a slur.
When used in the context to denote hair color, no. it is not a slur then. But when you use the word to insult someones intelligence or give the perception they are dumb or ditzy or sexual then yes, it is a slur.
There are movements on this site to ban "slurs". They say this is because they offend certain groups of people. That is logical to say.
But why should only those of certain skin color or ethnicity be privilaged enough to get content banned? Isnt that a form of racism? To say that only if you have a certain color or ethnicity are you able to take deep offence and get material removed to keep yourself from being offended?
We all should have the exact same right and ability to get material (slurs, stereotypes etc) removed.
To say someone isnt hurt because of blonde jokes is just the same as dismissing someone
who takes offence due to a joke made at the cost of their race.

With that, and according to some threads,...if only ONE or SOME people take offense to a word or term, it is a slur...then I move to have Gaia remove the word blonde.
Hopefully this will cut down on people making "Blondes" a joke or insinuating that they are lacking of intelligence...

I propose that Gaia instead use the term "golden" to denote the hair color. this can be "light golden, dark golden, ash, etc"
This is to keep the stereotype of the "dumb blonde" to a minimum.

I hope you will sign to keep the stereotype from propagating that blondes have low IQ, or questionable morals or are "bimbos"

Those that have signed:

Ame no Yanagi
Phoenix_Bliss
O_- CHEESE CAKE -_O
c_kitty16
iKnighty
Astaisia
Frozen Fireballs
Rosalina Thorne

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Now, because there are some that will have a knee jerk reaction to that original post...
Let me explain...
There is a thread, where it keeps being stated, that if SOME or ONE takes offense to a term then it is a slur.
a slur that therefore, a whole community must acknowledge as such and ban to keep some from being offended.
This argument shows that if -anyone- takes offense to a word..or even a handful take offense...that it becomes a slur, a derogatory term and there for Gaia should ban it.
With that logic, I have made this petition.
One that is backed up by a fair argument about how people can make a term a derogatory term by the -usage- of it.
There are provable sources to back up how "blonde" has been used derogatorily. There are examples of the -stereotype- of some "blondes". There are people that will tell "blonde jokes" because of a supposed lack of intelligence "blondes" have.
Yet we have no movement at the present time(till now wink ) to keep such a -stereotype- from being stopped.

Now, we all know you can say someone is a "blonde" without any offense meant or said.....
we know you can take the word "blonde" and make it out with just that ONE word that someone is "dumb".
because of -context-.
Does this mean we should now ban the word Blonde because there are those that take offense to it? because some think it means a "dumb person" or "bimbo"?
Even when it is proven that not -all- blondes take offense?

and yes, being blonde can be racial. So, with that, it can be argued it -is- a racial slur.
As the Aryans believe very much in "blonde hair and blue eyed".(now if you want to get technical that couldnt possibly be aryan because of their country of origin but that is another topic)

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
ill sign!!

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Thank you and spread the word 3nodding heart
I'll sign D;

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
O_- CHEESE CAKE -_O
I'll sign D;

thankies very much..pass the word along ^.^
Would you please illustrate for us under what part of the terms of service the word Blond is being ignored, where other slurs involving hair color are being addressed?

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
TeaDidikai
Would you please illustrate for us under what part of the terms of service the word Blond is being ignored, where other slurs involving hair color are being addressed?

they arent being addressed. that is the problem.
But no other hair color has the "dumb" association in the way "Blonde" does.
Nights_Sweet_Embrace
TeaDidikai

they arent being addressed. that is the problem.
The problem with your petition is it's not a "racial or ethnic" slur. Blonde is a physical property that is easily changed with dye, whereas being Roma or African is mostly based on region, skin color, and culture. You have no grounds, and I'm betting this petition is more or less just trolling against Tea's.
Nights_Sweet_Embrace
This isn't the case actually.
Waaaait a second. Just because you find the word offensive it is such, but when a good chunk of the Rroma are offended by the word "Gypsy," it isn't a slur unless EVERYONE is offended?

...What? neutral
BlueRoseTorn
Waaaait a second. Just because you find the word offensive it is such, but when a good chunk of the Rroma are offended by the word "Gypsy," it isn't a slur unless EVERYONE is offended?

...What? neutral
She's likely a troll, leave her alone.

Friendly Friend

7,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
I would agree that the term "blonde" has become an insult in itself, but I must also point out that, while not as oftenly-used, other hair colors have their own derogatory meanings associated with them.

I've known many brunettes (including myself) often shunned by school mates or co-workers because "Brunettes are just dorks." We may be considered "nerds" or "the smart ones" (I don't know about other brunettes, but my grades suck), but more often than not, brunettes are dissed for being "ugly bookworms".

3 states, countless schools, from gradeschool to college, and even into the workplace, myself and many other brunettes I know (male or female) have dealt with this stereotypical view, much as blondes must deal with "blonde jokes".

And, while I'm not a natural redhead (though I did dye my hair that color for a while), I've made friends with many, and am related to a few. I've seen firsthand the degradation of redheads as being the "redheaded stepchild", or "stupid and ditzy because their brains got fried, just like their hair". I never could understand the reason for thinking a redhead was a redhead because their "brain caught fire whenever they tried to think." I have two very good friends with bright red hair who get teased all the time because of it, but they are very intelligent, diligent, hard-working people, and I get angry whenever someone teases them.

As I've said, I agree that blondes are subject to much social criticism, but understand that blondes are not alone in this degradation.

Mad Cynic's Significant Otter

Star-Crossed Warrior

31,900 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Survivor 150
Psh. I'm a blonde who has heard waaaaaay too many blonde jokes, but if you want to ban the term because it hurts feelings, then it makes blondes sound even more dumb. It's something you can laugh off or even use as an excuse - any time I do something dumb, I can pass it off as a 'blonde moment'.

So don't be so pathetically sensitive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces