Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should Blonde be banned?

Yes, people suffer discrimination because of it 0.032110091743119 3.2% [ 7 ]
No, the word is not bad only how it can be used 0.49082568807339 49.1% [ 107 ]
Gaia should bann all Slurs and Slangs they hurt people 0.041284403669725 4.1% [ 9 ]
Gaia should take it case by case and use their judgement based on how the word is used 0.11009174311927 11.0% [ 24 ]
Wha? 0.3256880733945 32.6% [ 71 ]
Total Votes:[ 218 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 >

Distinct Noob

so what if I wanna dye my hair blonde?? That doesn't make me dumb.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
GatitaGirl
so what if I wanna dye my hair blonde?? That doesn't make me dumb.

exactly. no one has said it does.
0.o in fact the exact opposite.
it is the misuse and abuse of the term that the petition is against.
The problem with this is that it would lead to massive abuse of the system. If one a** provoked someone into saying a slur that they deserved, the a** wins and the victim is punished. Besides, Gaia has bigger things to worry about then hair colors. I've spoken with many people, and they have never seen blonde discrimination. Also, banning words is a lazy method. People will get around that. bl0nde, blond3, toe head, all could be used as substitutions. Essentially, every word can be used as a slur when put into context.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Raida-Tenba
The problem with this is that it would lead to massive abuse of the system. If one a** provoked someone into saying a slur that they deserved, the a** wins and the victim is punished. Besides, Gaia has bigger things to worry about then hair colors. I've spoken with many people, and they have never seen blonde discrimination. Also, banning words is a lazy method. People will get around that. bl0nde, blond3, toe head, all could be used as substitutions. Essentially, every word can be used as a slur when put into context.

unfortunately it does very much exist so much so that there are law suits going about it, jobs lost over it etc...

But, with that said,
As noted in my previous posts....
we could ban whole slew of words. great big lists of words that offend. Effectively covering almost all bases of slurs and offended people....
but the list would be monstrous and ever growing.
OR
we could allow the moderators and admins to take each report on a case by case study and deal with it then. noting the context and tone of the post being reported and using that to judge if a term or word was actually being used to offend.

the premise though, that is forming through some threads, is that to keep people from being offended, slurs (racial or otherwise) need to be banned. that if they aren't mods/admins cant do anything about their use if they aren't on a list.
Which is not true as shown by the clause in the TOS that has been noted.

Under this premise. the petition.
Because why stop at one slur? or even a handful? why stop? we all should ban words to keep others from being offended.
never mind, that all sorts of innocent words can fall under this heading (such as apple, teapot,celestial,blonde,etc)
there are all sorts of prejudice out there. there are all sorts of people that get offended by all sorts of thing. Some valid, Some perceived.
who gets to judge whose slur is the one to get banned? or the one that is most offensive? or the one that is most valid?
Raida-Tenba

Actually, that would be an insult, and it would have to be used in an insulting manner. An ethnic slur, which is how this mock petition came about, because she wants an ethnic slur to be used on the MMO so she can use it no matter that its a hurtful exonym and stereotype, doesn't need a context. If someone just said n~ I would report them. There is no other context, just that single word is a slur. I am the same way with f~. It is a slur and I find it very offensive.The OP likes to use that word instead of simply saying 'dumplings and gravy', despite the fact that its well-known use as a slur.

Also, the OP seems to be the only one who keeps talking about 'a big list of no-no words'. Ethnic slurs are not allowed on Gaia. I am protected under the ToS. If someone calls me n~ I can report them. She wants to be able to use an ethnic slur simply because ignorance romanticized it, despite the fact it IS an ethnic slur and those of that ethnicity should be protected just as blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Irish, Jews, and any other ethnicity.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Soleil Niore
Raida-Tenba

Actually, that would be an insult, and it would have to be used in an insulting manner. An ethnic slur, which is how this mock petition came about, because she wants an ethnic slur to be used on the MMO so she can use it no matter that its a hurtful exonym and stereotype, doesn't need a context. If someone just said n~ I would report them. There is no other context, just that single word is a slur. I am the same way with f~. It is a slur and I find it very offensive.The OP likes to use that word instead of simply saying 'dumplings and gravy', despite the fact that its well-known use as a slur.

Also, the OP seems to be the only one who keeps talking about 'a big list of no-no words'. Ethnic slurs are not allowed on Gaia. I am protected under the ToS. If someone calls me n~ I can report them. She wants to be able to use an ethnic slur simply because ignorance romanticized it, despite the fact it IS an ethnic slur and those of that ethnicity should be protected just as blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Irish, Jews, and any other ethnicity.

and hair color can be directly tied to a persons ethnicity.
consequently it can be a racial slur.
though a slur doesn't have to be racial to be offensive or damaging.
again this is not a mock petition.
and sorry to break it to you, what makes a slur a slur is context.
apple by itself is not a slur.
apple used to denote a native amarican someone believes has lost contact with their ethnicity and "acts white on the inside" is a slur.
just as to say "someone has blonde hair" is not a slur..
saying "he was acting blonde" to denote someone acting dumb or ditzy -is- a slur.
we have gone over this.
Nights_Sweet_Embrace
and hair color can be directly tied to a persons ethnicity.
consequently it can be a racial slur.

No it cannot. In order for it to be a racial slur it would have to be something that was exclusive to a single race. Since it is not, you can't use that as an example. It CAN be an insult depending on context. You yourself have already admitted that. That means it can be an insult.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
though a slur doesn't have to be racial to be offensive or damaging.

No one said it had to be. however, a hair color is neither a slur NOR an insult.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
again this is not a mock petition.

Yes, it is, since you keep going back to 'according to some' and 'well some want this'. let's not forget your still using the wrong word.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
and sorry to break it to you, what makes a slur a slur is context.

Wrong. N~ is a slur no matter the context. K~ is a slur no matter the context.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
apple by itself is not a slur.
apple used to denote a native amarican someone believes has lost contact with their ethnicity and "acts white on the inside" is a slur.

Hence why I said it would be more accurate to call it an insult, not a slur.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
just as to say "someone has blonde hair" is not a slur..
saying "he was acting blonde" to denote someone acting dumb or ditzy -is- a slur.
we have gone over this.

No, that would make it an insult. Your continued denial of that and attempts to apply the wrong word doesn't make it so.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
yes actually since some ethnicity have a propensity for blonde hair it -can- be a racial slur.
racial slurs are not the only ones that should be banned.
no it is not a mock petition...after all why should only some have the ability to get slurs banned? why are some more important then others? race? isn't that a type of racism? saying that because a person is this or that races gives them the ability to get sites to ban content but if you aren't of a particular race you do not have the ability? so the color of my skin or the genetics in my body keep me from having the right to be offended or get something banned? wow...talk about racism.
every person here no matter their color or race have the same right as you or anyone else. equality of races includes everyone..not just certain colors, races, beliefs etc.
So yes, those that are blonde or have been offended by a blonde slur do have the same right as anyone else.
So, if it ok for some to get things banned..why not ANYONE on this site? because their pain isn't as great or deep or profound?
-that- is a form of racism. demanding special treatment because of race is just as bad as excluding people because of race.

and slur and insult -are- synonymous.
please refer to...
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/slur

and

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O998-slur005.html

and

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slur%20over

I can continue to post links to reference sites that all note..that slur and insult are synonymous( a couple of posts back I posted that and even admitted I had been wrong to say they weren't synonymous)
Nights_Sweet_Embrace
yes actually since some ethnicity have a propensity for blonde hair it -can- be a racial slur.

That would ONLY apply if it was exclusive to a single ethnicity. As it is NOT exclusive, because more than one ethnicity has such a propensity, it is not a racial slur. It is a word denoting the color of one's hair. It can be used as an insult depending on context. You have said so yourself yet you continue to ignore your own words.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
racial slurs are not the only ones that should be banned.

You are still using the incorrect word here. Hair color in and of itself is not an insult. It requires specific context to make it so.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
no it is not a mock petition...after all why should only some have the ability to get slurs banned? why are some more important then others?

Yes it is since a hair color is neither slur nor insult. It requires specific context to become an insult.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
race? isn't that a type of racism? saying that because a person is this or that races gives them the ability to get sites to ban content but if you aren't of a particular race you do not have the ability?

Again, hair color is not exclusive to a single race so you can not use that as a 'racial' justification.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
so the color of my skin or the genetics in my body keep me from having the right to be offended or get something banned? wow...talk about racism.

If someone refers to the color of your skin in a derogatory fashion by all means, report them. however, as I have already stated, hair color is not indicative of a single race and thus cannot be used as a 'racial slur'. The most it can be used as is an insult in specific context.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
every person here no matter their color or race have the same right as you or anyone else. equality of races includes everyone..not just certain colors, races, beliefs etc.

Yes, everyone has the right to not have to deal with ethnic or racial slurs.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
So yes, those that are blonde or have been offended by a blonde slur do have the same right as anyone else.

Again, you are using the wrong word. The context, as YOU have STATED YOURSELF makes it an insult. Hair color in and of itself is neither slur nor insult.

Nights_Sweet_Embrace
So, if it ok for some to get things banned..why not ANYONE on this site? because their pain isn't as great or deep or profound?
-that- is a form of racism. demanding special treatment because of race is just as bad as excluding people because of race.

You clearly do not comprehend what race is do you?

and slur and insult -are- synonymous.
please refer to...
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/slur

and

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O998-slur005.html

and

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slur over

I can continue to post links to reference sites that all note..that slur and insult are synonymous( a couple of posts back I posted that and even admitted I had been wrong to say they weren't synonymous)

I have already addressed this in a previous post where I posted the synonyms for slur.

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
I had no prior knowledge of the meatball faggots. My mistake. I was only aware of the sticks definition other than the slang.

But, what I meant by my post was not that I was trying to parallel the injustices done due to attacking hair color. No, I was attempting to give an example where in news reports about hair color being used as the derogatory term and how they were called insults, rather than slurs.

However, as I've read what else has transpired here, I've seen a quite silly cycle of the same words being repeated over and over. I really would rather not become part of that cycle.

So, I'll be leaving this thread, and hope some kind of reasonable understanding can be made that will put this greivance, as it were, to an end.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
So only people that are offended by racial slurs have the right to get things banned?
sorry that is a form of racism. it saying that only if you are special enough to hold a race that has a slur are you allowed to be offended and get sites to ban content.
sorry that doesn't work.
either it is equal and ALL members have the right to get offensive content banned or then NO one should have the right to get offensive material banned.
Apple by itself it not a slur.
But it becomes a listed racial slur when used in an abusive context.
There are many listed racial slurs that when used in innocent context are no longer slurs.
That is a very simple -fact-.

Blonde used in the incorrect manner... to denote a lack of intelligence -is- a slur.
the courts have ruled on it, governments are moving to ban blonde jokes for the exact reason, jobs have been lost over "blonde "comments about co-workers.

Also, race can be tied to hair color. It is actually one of the key factors when identifying some races. either the color of hair present or lacking.

Quote:
Furthering Race Analysis: The Work of Kidwell and Blank, and Henderson and Harkey

Kidwell and Blank's Work on Race and Hair Type

The first group to raise the issue of possible racial bias based on their own research work were Kidwell and Blank (1990-96). They reported findings in the early 1990’s on the cocaine recovery from ten hair samples (four black hair and six brown) analyzed in their laboratory. The dark hair showed a higher concentration of cocaine. The Kidwell/Blank team applied the term “hair types”, which were de facto the color of the hair. The transition from hair color to hair types might seem trivial or inconsequential at first glance. But, on reflection, it is critical to ask what are the typologies that are implied in this? The major implication associated with this is that hair color is a racial phenotype, and as a consequence hair analysis is “racially biased”. In fact when challenged about his implications of hair analysis as racially biased, Kidwell denied that such an implication was his intent at all. He stated that in reference to his own data “in any case, these results should NOT (emphasis original) be interpreted to imply a racial bias against hair analysis but only that a correction factor or different cut-off levels may be needed for different hair types.”

this is from
http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/journal/mismeasure.html.

I do believe, criminologist and scientists do have a better grasp on it.
They say that yes, hair color is racial.
Some races have a higher propensity to certain hair colors (as well as hair textures). Some races have almost no natural instances of certain hair colors.

Quote:
Racial categorization reflects the process of placing people into distinct groups based on variation in phenotypic physical features of the face and body such as skin color, hair color and texture, eye shape, nose width, and lip fullness.

source:http://www.apa.org/science/psa/maddox.html

As you can see, yes, hair color is and can be directly tied to a persons race.
When Blonde is therefore mis-used as a slur, it does cover the racial aspect as well.
No one race has the privilege over the other to get material banned.
If ONE race can, ALL can.
be they afro-american,afro-european, white, spanish, blue,pink, polka-doted..what ever.
If ONE set of people can get offended over a perceived stereotype, then ALL sets of people can get offended over other stereotypes and offensive connotations and get them banned as well.

and Blonde does fall under the categories.
either by race or just by abuse of the word and stereotype.
it is a slur.
it is damaging,
it is offensive to many.
With that and the belief we need to have a great big list of no-no words to protect people,
Blonde and a whole slew of other slurs need to be banned.

OR

We can allow the moderators and admins to deal with reports on a case by case instance and allow them to do their job.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Taliah
I had no prior knowledge of the meatball faggots. My mistake. I was only aware of the sticks definition other than the slang.

But, what I meant by my post was not that I was trying to parallel the injustices done due to attacking hair color. No, I was attempting to give an example where in news reports about hair color being used as the derogatory term and how they were called insults, rather than slurs.

However, as I've read what else has transpired here, I've seen a quite silly cycle of the same words being repeated over and over. I really would rather not become part of that cycle.

So, I'll be leaving this thread, and hope some kind of reasonable understanding can be made that will put this grievance, as it were, to an end.

indeed instead of focusing on varied offending stereotypes and abuse of words to harm others, it has become a battle of whether it is a slur or insult...when infact it is both one in the same when used in a negative connotation.

As you see, a word that some take as a truly offensive term to others is perfectly innocent.
the difference comes from how it is used. then it becomes a damaging slur.
It is the context the words are used in that makes the difference.
This happens with all sorts of words though, from apple, to celestial, etc. most people have no idea those are racial slurs.
most people use them in an innocent and correct manner.
But take it out of innocent context and it is a damaging slur that truly harms people.
In that..is what I have been saying about "blonde".

with that, it is a slur and under the belief we need to ban slurs to protect people it should be banned.

Eloquent Millionaire

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Astaisia
I sign

thank you it has been noted biggrin
-signs mad -ur color of ur hair lips skin eyes and other things is by ur panents keritain _

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff