Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
BBC News
Carrot-top, copper-top, ginger-nut, ginger minger, bluey (among Australians), Duracell, Ronald McDonald, Simply Red, Queen Elizabeth. And so on for hours and hours of the typical redhead's life. No wonder some gloss over their hair colour as "auburn" and "strawberry blonde" and even "titian".

These are common names that red-headed people can expect to hear in the UK, and (thus far) less commonly, the USA. Trust me, there are more, and most of them vulgar. Can these be considered insults? Or is this just another stereotype, as in the case of "dumb blondes" or "boring brunettes"?

However, my big question is this, is there such a thing as redhead discrimination? Or even racism? First, we need to know what theses definitions entail:
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry:
dis·crim·i·na·tion Listen to the pronunciation of discrimination
Pronunciation:
dis-ˌkri-mə-ˈnā-shən
Function:
noun
Date:

1 a: the act of discriminating b: the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently2: the quality or power of finely distinguishing3 a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b: prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>

Main Entry:
rac·ism Listen to the pronunciation of racism
Pronunciation:
ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-
Function:
noun
Date:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist Listen to the pronunciation of racist -sist also -shist noun or adjective

Keeping these definitions in mind, I kindly invite you to read through these news reports and other interesting sites I have found on the internet about redheads.

There was a case on a waitress receiving sexual harassment and abuse because of her red hair- Redhead Waitress

Another on a family forced to move across the country due to hate crimes because of their red hair- Redhead Family

A case of a man being beaten for his red hair- Man stabbed for "being Ginger"

Also, a source on red headed children being more likely to be targeted by bullies- Redhead Bullies

Red is the Color of Power - This has a note of how red hair was was treated as being marked by Satan.

Wendy's Protest - A protest against Wendy's for the portrayal of redheads.

Now, I myself am a red head, perhaps not a vibrant red that stands out, but it is more red than blonde. While I live in the United States, I have not been picked on or bullied because of my hair color, if anything, most people liked it. Then I became acquainted with a (now friend) guy from the U.K. over the internet, and one of the first things he told me after seeing a picture was "My God, you're a ginger!" Thus, I was introduced to this form of teasing of red heads, but upon further research, I was shocked at some of these cases of violence simply because they had red hair. However, from what I understand, no legal group actively defends red head abuse as a form of "racism" or "discrimination" if you will.

Okay, here are your questions ladies and gentlemen.

-How do you view bullying and name-calling of people with red hair?
-Could this become (or be) a form of bigotry?
-Have you had personal experience of such discrimination towards red heads?
-What are your views of the cases I have presented? Is one more notable than the other?
-There is plenty of evidence this discrimination exists in the U.K., have there been any notable cases in other countries?
-Should there be a racial equality group to monitor hate crimes and harassment towards red heads?
-Are the negative and/or positive stereotypes of redheads a factor in this? How do you think so?
-Is this even an issue?

Note: This is my first thread in the ED, if something is against the forum rules, please kindly inform me and I will make the necessary changes.
Hey! There is no redhead discrimination, and you better stop saying there is - or I'm going to beat you like a redheaded stepchild!
Ginger's don't have souls!
בס''ד

It's because you can't see the blood on their red heads.
why do people hate gingers?

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
I would have expected answers like these to be in the GD, not here in the ED. stare
Taliah
I would have expected answers like these to be in the GD, not here in the ED. stare

Were joking, chill.

Everyone get picked one.

Fats.

Blacks.

Whites.

etc.

What the hell makes red head's so special?
Red hair is attractive, I say.
The Epic Emperor Greg
Taliah

Were joking, chill.

Everyone get picked one.

Fats.

Blacks.

Whites.

etc.

What would suck is if you were an overweight mixed race redhead.
Vamanos
The Epic Emperor Greg
Taliah

Were joking, chill.

Everyone get picked one.

Fats.

Blacks.

Whites.

etc.

What would suck is if you were an overweight mixed race redhead.

and you were gay.
My post will be a serious one...

Quote:
-How do you view bullying and name-calling of people with red hair?
-Could this become (or be) a form of bigotry?
-Have you had personal experience of such discrimintation towards red heads?
-What are your views of the cases I have presented? Is one more notable than the other?
-There is plenty of evidence this discrimination exsists in the U.K., have there been any notable cases in other countries?
-Should there be a racial equality group to monitor hate crimes and harassment towards red heads?

Technically attitudes towards people with different haircolours is practically on the same level as racism...it's discriminating against someone because they look 'different'. Sure, it's not as serious as racism (though judging by those stories, it could be some day). I think jokes about hair colour are fine, they can be harmless but when they escalate into things like attacks and discrimination it becomes a problem.
Personally, I have experienced name calling because of my hair colour. When I was younger I had bright blonde hair but when I reached my teens, it started to darken and I ended up having ash blonde then strawberry blonde hair. People called me ginger anyway, and it was used as an insult. I had a friend who had orange-ginger hair and when people who didn't like her were ranting about her, they would say stuff like 'ginger b***h'. When they rant about other people, they never said 'blonde b***h' or 'brunette b***h', etc.
I don't get the ginger thing anymore, mainly because my hair is kinda strawberry blonde, as in it's mid-dark blonde with copper bits when the light shines on it, and it the copper is fading. But I have blonde highlights, anyway, so my hair is like light blonde.

Man, I can't help thinking about Catherine Tate and 'gingers for justice'.
But yeah...as a blonde I seem to get less stick than I did back when people thought I was ginger and you know how many blonde jokes/stereotypes there are out there. In fact, it's better because my stupidity seems to be justified by my hair colour, haha.
Why is it, that 90% of the topics in the ED, were episodes of South Park?

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
The Epic Emperor Greg

Nothing really, I was simply saying that red heads seem to be in this circle of discrimination, albeit far less widely known than say, African-American discrimination.

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Ms Bulma Briefs
Why is it, that 90% of the topics in the ED, were episodes of South Park?

I haven't seen that episode, but now that you mention it, I would kind of like to see it for the sake of research.

A small tangent, then back to topic. South Park deals with many societal issues, whether to poke fun at them or for a more enlightening purpose, that is unknown only to the creators. Okay, back to topic.
Yes, beat those Fire Crotches senseless!!!mwahahaha twisted

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces