Welcome to Gaia! ::

Corpius's Husband

Dianda Panda

Heh, sure. Truth be told I've had two offers I'm really excited for, and one's the sort of noir horror from here, and another is a politically based one. Neither I'm very experienced for, and it's a little intimidating. Something less intense would give me breathers, and I get the feeling I'm going to be wanting that.

A few questions first - what style music? And if you say rap or hip hop or RnB, I'm leaving right now. .__. sorry, I respect the origins of the music, and I do have a few songs I like from the genres but mostly I just find it intolerable.
And I'm a little concerned about the styles coming together. There are only a few international sounds I'm familiar with. I mean, no, I know music from all over. But like, a collection of styles in one song.
Reading through the description I instantly thought of Paul Simon [who is one of my all time favorite artists. So I could be thinking of him just cuz I'll probably be drawing inspiration from him], specifically the Graceland CD where he worked with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. If you don't know who I'm talking about - don't worry. It's pretty old, the CD came out in '86 and it's rare I find someone my age who knows Paul Simon. A link, one of my personal favorites. It's a bad recording, I know, but the lyrics are amazing so do try to overlook it. ^^;

And all the characters would know each other, but the writers don't know any other characters. Do you think the profiles will be enough of a back story? How long was the band together before they split up?
DoV-gnilkrad

Alright! Here is a fairly detailed map of Manhattan. For the sake of simplicity, let's stick to Manhattan. Since there's so many areas and probably most of them won't really be important I'm going to just cover (very briefly) the ones we'll probably use. We probably won't end up going north of the Upper East Side, because south is older. But for the most part navigating Manhattan is just like using latitude and longitude coordinates. It's very square. Streets run east-west across the width of the island, avenues run north-south. 12th avenue is super far west, for example, and 1st avenue is pretty much the furthest east you can get. The line that marks Houston Street is ~about where the city stops being a grid organized by numbered streets and avenues and turns into a jumbled up mess of diagonals and loops and s**t. As for neighborhoods:

Upper East Side - Richest of the rich. Central Park views, huge apartments, wide streets, fancy a** s**t. Along the park itself you have mostly government embassies and big apartment buildings, but the streets off the park also have short, private, fancy townhouses. A lot of those are medical practices, though. Lots of trees in the streets here.

Hell's Kitchen - bad area. I had a friend who lived here once. No trees ever, lol. Kind of feels industrial. She found out the guy on the other side of the hall was part of a prostitution ring. Could be much worse, though.

Stuyvesant town - pretty solidly middle class. Stuyvesant Town itself is a huge brown brick apartment complex that runs from 20th street down to 14th street. Gets fancier and fancier as you walk towards Gramercy. Not a whole lot of graffiti around here.

ABC (Alphabet City) - it's called this because it's technically a part of the grid but it's east of 1st avenue, so they use letters. If you were walking east you'd first hit 1st avenue, then avenue A, B, C. Mostly middle class, kind of has a quirky feel to it, with its murals and flea markets.

East Village - I think we will be here a lot. Rather bohemian and grungy and lived-in, but not really run down. Has St Marks, which is a short stretch of street open until 4 AM every night and is mostly restaurants. College kids like to hang out here a lot. You get lots of people on acid. Starting to get to the older parts of the city, it looks a little different because the buildings don't get very tall and it's not as square as the rest of Manhattan, but the streets are still concrete.

Bowery, Chinatown, Lower East Side - Not on the grid anymore. Older part of the City. Bowery, at least up closer to the east village, is rather pretty. The streets are sometimes cobblestone and kinda wide in some places. It is older though, so it can look kinda grungy. Chinatown.... looks like Chinatown. Shorter buildings, more graffiti, more litter. Lower East Side is honorary Chinatown in some places, kinda gross at times... but it has some pretty corners. Basically this whole area of the city is crowded, disorganized and older looking.

The southern most tip of Manhattan is the super tall buildings, corporate stuff. You know. Probably won't end up down there a lot.

Phew! And that's all I got. I'll post the starter now.

Also I meant the bros-bros kind, not the brothers-bros kind.
DoV-gnilkrad
Dianda Panda

Heh, sure. Truth be told I've had two offers I'm really excited for, and one's the sort of noir horror from here, and another is a politically based one. Neither I'm very experienced for, and it's a little intimidating. Something less intense would give me breathers, and I get the feeling I'm going to be wanting that.

A few questions first - what style music? And if you say rap or hip hop or RnB, I'm leaving right now. .__. sorry, I respect the origins of the music, and I do have a few songs I like from the genres but mostly I just find it intolerable.
And I'm a little concerned about the styles coming together. There are only a few international sounds I'm familiar with. I mean, no, I know music from all over. But like, a collection of styles in one song.
Reading through the description I instantly thought of Paul Simon [who is one of my all time favorite artists. So I could be thinking of him just cuz I'll probably be drawing inspiration from him], specifically the Graceland CD where he worked with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. If you don't know who I'm talking about - don't worry. It's pretty old, the CD came out in '86 and it's rare I find someone my age who knows Paul Simon. A link, one of my personal favorites. It's a bad recording, I know, but the lyrics are amazing so do try to overlook it. ^^;

And all the characters would know each other, but the writers don't know any other characters. Do you think the profiles will be enough of a back story? How long was the band together before they split up?

They can play anything, pop, rock, RnB. There is a rapper in the group tho. Maybe I should add that in the story.

And they have been together for one year before they split up.

Anyway, I do have to go, but I'll be back in 20 or 30 minutes.

Corpius's Husband

Mundane Egg

Alright, alright. I think I got this. -bookmarks as a reference page-

Ok. =3 awesomesauce, yo.
Okay, it's up here!

edit;
DoV-gnilkrad

whoops, forgot to quote

Corpius's Husband

Mundane Egg

Just to be thick here: do you want me to bring my character into the market, or just find the notes, or ya know? I got most of a post but I wasn't sure how fast you wanted me to take this/where to end up.
DoV-gnilkrad

I figured they'd come into the market. It seemed like the fastest way to get interaction going, if your character had already found the notes and started doing a little amateur exploring. RP is just a game of interaction after all.

Tipsy Gekko

Here's a bump for the thread... a gift from the angel of the battlefield~ And also, I'm just popping in to say 'Hello!'.

So... hello! >.>;

Corpius's Husband

Hello ^^
I ran out to get foods but I'm working on a PM now.
THEN Mundane's RP.
Then another PM.
Then probably yours, and a cycle will start. And somewhere along the way I do want to eat the food I got and start thinking of a profile for another. @.@
Oh gods. I suddenly have s**t I need to do. It's been a while since that happened in terms of role plays.

Tipsy Gekko

DoV-gnilkrad

Hehe, I sort of have the same thing going on.
    I'm working on a roleplay response and a starter, and occasionally responding to your PM a little at a time.
    What food did you get? Seems like a lame question but, I'm hungry.
    A little too lazy to go downstairs and grab some food though. xD;;
    Maybe if I listen to the delicious tales of foodstuffs I might be convinced to hunt down some prey find some tasty noms.

Corpius's Husband

colonel valkyrie

Subway. It's Om-nom-nomable.

And this totally reminds me of a scene from a book.

First person has a French accent, the second and Indian, and they are starving to death on a life boat.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

"Let's hear your story," he said, panting.
"Once upon a time there was a banana and it grew. It grew until it was large, firm, yellow and fragrant. Then if tell to the ground and someone came upon it and ate it."
He stopped rowing. "What a beautiful story!"
"Thank you."
"I have tears in my eyes."
"I have another element," I said.
"What is it?"
"The banana fell tot he ground and someone came upon it and ate it = and afterwards that person felt better."
"It takes the breath away!" he exclaimed.

It's actually a brilliant and hilarious book.

Tipsy Gekko

DoV-gnilkrad

Subway? Mmm, I haven't had that in quite some time. My favorite of all time is the chicken teriyaki. But you know what my favorite foodstuffs is? Carne asada fries. *o* That's the way to my heart: carne asada fries. They simply cry out "San Diego!". You can't even get it in Mexico. I'm going to miss it so when I go~

Whut. o.O I'm going to have to pick up that book sometime, and figure out what the heck happened that led up to that scene! xD

What sort of book is it, though? I've never heard of it honestly, but I'm always willing to check out another read if it interests me. ^^
Hello Vince,
Just in case you, yourself, are insane, I thought I’d offer you another group roleplay.
The link is here and it’s called The Ulimate Heist.
Obviously, it’s about thieves, and with your interest in criminal psychology, I thought that you might be interested, even though you already seem to have a full plate. XD
Plus, I’m not sure that there is still a position open that suits your fancy, but there’s no harm in asking. ^^

Anyways, if not, I may also be interested in doing a one-on-one with you sometime.
I’m not majoring in psychology, but I do have a lot of interest in it, in fact, I have a character that I regularly roleplay at different intervals of his life- during most of which he is quite insane.

Ooh ooh ooh! I have a joke!

A neutron walked into a bar and asked, "How much for a drink?"
The bartender replied, "For you, no charge."

Har har har!

On another note, thank you for bringing intelligence into Barton.

Corpius's Husband

Marked Prowler

o.o
Oh hi dar.
Um... Yeah. ,__, my plate is getting full. I should probably put that up on the first post.
Hnm. I'm not sure how I feel about the role play. It comes across as Skull & Bones Society meets Oceans 11. Which for some reason makes me weary because I love secret societies, and I loved Oceans 11. But I've never been to big on actioney type ... like .... Mission Impossibly feely stuff. And this also gives off that feeling. I don't know. Logic is telling me I would enjoy it but my brow is quirking suspiciously on it's own.
I think I'm going to lurk and read posts - once you guys actually start posting - for a while before I decide.

And ... ya know, this is going to come across as just down right mean but please understand I've had a long, long history of bad experiences with people playing characters who are "insane." Pop culture has put put a certain image in our head and the overwhelming majority of people who play "insane" characters adapt that image. Something closer to the joker, where the character isn't .... very real. They come across as lacking any symptoms, playing up the behaviors and not having real motivation for anything, and always being "evil."
But the word itself makes me skittish. "Insane." I have a copy of the DSM-IV. There is very little in there I could call "insane," and the majority of interesting disorders to me wouldn't fall under that. I would just call them.... broken. A little bit. There personality disorders specifically. I can't call them insane because what they are conflicts with how everyone uses the word insane. Someone did MPD/DID or BPD or PTSD or OCD isn't foaming at the mouth, nefarious and psychotic. But I have never met an RPer who hadn't tried to play them as such [aside from the OCD which always comes across as lovable, don't cha thinks?]
And the ideas of non linear thought and not being able to make connections, or repeating an action expecting a different out come are ideas I personally have a hard time wrapping my mind around. I understand psychosis - not nearly as well as some, and right now I am focusing more on criminology then abnormal psychology - but I can't see it from their view. Not the way I can a serial killer - who I would very rarely call insane. And when I do understand it, it's hard to apply it to a fully developed mind. They always seem retarded, which isn't a fair or well justified assumption. The things I can empathies with, the personality disorders ... their like serial killers. Something off, wrong. It may never be fixed. But it's not Crazy.
I've just never met a role player who can... do it well. I haven't met very many college students in psych and sociology classes who could explain it well, or understand it themselves. For some of the disorders this includes me.

I doubt I'd be intresd in playing an insane character with you. With anyone. Or a plot revolving around madness. It's an academic interest, but not something I could respect when translated into a game. A forum of entertainment.

But I am curious - because for all my cynicism you may be the exception ---- insane how?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff