Homosexuality:
Homosexuality and the Bible
Soteriology:
25 Reasons Why Salvation is Permanent for Christians
Abortion:
Abortion discussin

Information Links:

Evolution/Creationism:
The Talk. Origins Archive: A very well reputed and well credentialed source of objective information about evolutionary theory, particularly in contrast with Creationism.
Anwsers in Genesis: A site that explains how Genesis can be understood in terms of Creationism and how it could tie into scientific advances.
Evolution Facts: A pro-Creation site that analyzes the theory of Evolution.

Common Arguments and refutations: It does not progress a discussion to use information that has already been analyzed, or to use arguments that have already been refuted.

Petrified Hammer: Argument can be found immediately upon clicking the link.
Petrified Hammer Refuted

General Religion:
Religious Tolerance: Provides information on many different religions, with the intent to inform what each sect believes.
Catholic Answers: A Catholic apologetics site dedicated to explaining Catholic doctrine, and verifying the validity of the Catholic faith.
Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics: CRTA is committed to providing Biblically sound online resources, and also to the doctrine known as Calvinism.
Monergism.com: An Internet-based ministry, which was designed to equip Christians in the truth by making available the finest classic articles and resources of historical orthodoxy.
BibleGateway: A vast resource that enables quick Bible verse lookup in many different translation options.
Hardcore Christian Music: A site for hard rock Christian music.

Sexual Orientation:
Straight Pride : A website that provides the standpoint and opinions of those opposed to gay marriage.
American Psychological Association : A site set up by the American Psychological Association that provides analysis and responses to many questions regarding homosexuality in order to allow better understanding.
American Psychiatric Association: Provides a detailed analysis of findings surrounding attempts to change an individual's sexual orientation.
APA: Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth: A collection of information developed by various prestigious organizations that provides analysis of homosexuality.

If you would like anything added or changed here, please let me know!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm
Can we also have a linklist of outside information relevant to the more common discussion topics around here?

For example, we can have a link to TalkOrigins that everyone should read before they try to argue against evolution.  

Sinner

Ablazed
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:57 am
Sinner
Can we also have a linklist of outside information relevant to the more common discussion topics around here?

For example, we can have a link to TalkOrigins that everyone should read before they try to argue against evolution.

Good suggestion. I've added four that came to mind right away. Any others you think I should link to?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:09 am
May I suggest evolution-facts.org and straighpride.com?  

Death T-2

Dapper Dabbler

21,900 Points
  • Advent Attendee 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Mark Twain 100

OFF TEH DEEP END

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:41 pm
Hardcore Christian Music  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:32 pm
The Bible Gateway is a good site to look up bible verses.  

Teh Watery
Crew

7,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100

Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:15 pm
Death T-2

On this note, for the anti-evolution sites, could we get links to the TalkOrigins page that refutes these arguments easily available so that people know better than to try to use them?

After all, the point is to give them useful sources, not ones that have already been refuted.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:32 pm
Sinner
Death T-2

On this note, for the anti-evolution sites, could we get links to the TalkOrigins page that refutes these arguments easily available so that people know better than to try to use them?

After all, the point is to give them useful sources, not ones that have already been refuted.

Sounds like a good idea, but it's just a lot of work. sweatdrop That would require searching through many of the arguments on the sites provided, and then systematically finding the specific argument that refutes them. Yes, it is probably a good thing to do, as it's more progressive to avoid starting with an argument that has already been refutued. But to be blunt, I do not want to spend the time to do it. If someone else would volunteer, that'd be great.  

Ablazed
Captain

Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:41 pm
Ablazed
Sounds like a good idea, but it's just a lot of work. sweatdrop That would require searching through many of the arguments on the sites provided, and then systematically finding the specific argument that refutes them. Yes, it is probably a good thing to do, as it's more progressive to avoid starting with an argument that has already been refutued. But to be blunt, I do not want to spend the time to do it. If someone else would volunteer, that'd be great.

Hell, I'll do it. Or at least, some of it. And I'm sure there are others (probably M&R regulars) who can get the rest done.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:49 pm
Sinner
Ablazed

Hell, I'll do it. Or at least, some of it. And I'm sure there are others (probably M&R regulars) who can get the rest done.

heart

Alrighty, and I'll try and recruit some people from the DYBIM thread.  

Ablazed
Captain

Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:49 pm
Also, it couldn't hurt to add this to the homosexuality section.

After all, it's the American Psychological Association. Who is better qualified to talk about homosexuality than them?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:55 pm
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CC/CC130.html
Petrified Hammer Refuted.

Honestly, I would not say that EvolutionFacts examines the Theory of Evolution. It's just another site that hoists up a false Straw Man of Evolution and then proceeds to argue using discredited rehashes of popular Creationist claptrap. Saying that it examines the Theory of Evolution is not being truthful. I may sound biased, but I think it's just being objective.  

Vryko Lakas

Wheezing Gekko

Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:00 pm
Vryko Lakas
I may sound biased, but I think it's just being objective.

Although I totally agree, it's unlikely that the failings of the Creationist websites will cause them to be discredited. I mean, this is a Christian guild. Most people here think that being "objective" means citing Genesis.

Which is why I think we should just put refutations after the incorrect sites. It's not as good as just getting rid of them, but at least it's something.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:04 pm
Sinner
Also, it couldn't hurt to add this to the homosexuality section.

After all, it's the American Psychological Association. Who is better qualified to talk about homosexuality than them?

Don't forget the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics*.
http://www.psych.org/psych_pract/copptherapyaddendum83100.cfm
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbc/publications/justthefacts.html

*Not to be confused with the "American College of Pediatrics," a 'college' with apparently only one staff member, set up specifically to promote the sort of bunk that the AAP and both APAs debunked. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/07/31/beliefs_drive_research_agenda_of_new_think_tanks/  

Vryko Lakas

Wheezing Gekko

Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:07 pm
Vryko Lakas
Don't forget the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics*.
http://www.psych.org/psych_pract/copptherapyaddendum83100.cfm
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbc/publications/justthefacts.html

The one time I get lazy and guess, I get it wrong.

Gadmmit.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces