Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you like the new idea? (Chapter 2 Restart)

Sounds like fun! 0.34358974358974 34.4% [ 134 ]
Interesting... 0.27692307692308 27.7% [ 108 ]
I'm indifferent. 0.11282051282051 11.3% [ 44 ]
How could you even think of that?! 0.1 10.0% [ 39 ]
Obligatory Pollwhore Option. 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 65 ]
Total Votes:[ 390 ]
< 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 65 66 67 > >>

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
elffromspace
User Image

It's true that people shouldn't be *forced* to use all types of rings, but every player should be exposed to them all. Right now everyone pretty well ignores the training portion. Even if they DO read it, it just doesn't sink IN. The use of the non attack rings just doesn't make sense till you've played more. There is no training later in the game to remind people of things if they missed them the first time. Spreading them out around the minibosses is a way to give the advice at times when it might be more useful.

I agree that the minibosses are too grueling. Often they're not as much of a challenge as an enterprise in luck and endurance. And they come as too much of a surprise! OMGWTF is appropriate the way he is, a challenge for noobs, but he can be beaten with spotty ringsets. Kat's... to have the third miniboss be so hard that experienced players had to die several times before figuring out a strategy... it's a bit much for new players who still won't have anything like a selection of rings! Last account I only had 8 rings total when I got up to Kat's and they weren't remotely the rings I needed. Not to mention Duneslam which is impossible if you're lagging. All the buffs in the world don't do a lick of good if you let the mob of castles catch up with you.

The idea of letting the minibosses train people and balancing them slightly so that certain strategies worked best on certain bosses would help in two ways. It would reduce frustration for first time players who just can't beat that boss, if they were to die once, and then try to follow the suggested strategy and find that beating the boss wasn't too hard. But it would also make the minibosses play a little more varied which would make em more fun for people to replay and to try NOT following the recommended strategies.

And on the shallow sea.... tonight I got together with some friends and found that they'd never beat EB. They've played the first half of the sea literally DOZENS of times each, but every time the crew fizzes out and no-one wants to stay that long to fight EB. I think people who like the grind of EB are just snobs. People who've fought their way through the sea time and again should be able to pick up a session part way in so that they can get a crew of people who might only have a 1 hour to spare. Just FIGHTING EB is enough of a lagfest and a challenge. There really isn't a point in making people repeat the grueling trek there every time they want to fight, once they prove themselves. I really don't get why people love to argue for the gruel as though it's a challenge. If someone really is bad enough that the sea is a big challenge for them, they'll just die on EB anyway. Seriously, what's the big deal?
The trick is exposing them without forcing or rail-roading. Lets face it, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, as the saying goes.

To be fair, the minibosses are fairly easy.. if you have access to powerups, and a reasonable DPS attack set. Which not everyone has. Take those away, and yeah, they're not very friendly places.

Strategies would be nice, but lets not have them revolve around rings. Duneslam for example, while the normal strategy revolves around ranged rings, fact of the matter is, you can melee him, then run and recover for a bit, then return to meleeing. A hit and run works just as well. It's all about how you move.

I wouldn't be so quick to call them snobs. They have a point in that he -is- a fairly major boss, and shouldn't be a quick little battle. I just happen to be one of the ones that feel that perhaps Qix has gone a little overboard in making it not a quick battle.

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Lol i say the storyline needs a lot of modification xd
EmperorZensekai

I think the transition between each zone needs a bit more fleshing out. Going from Bass'ken Lake to Old Aqueduct, for example, seems more like something that you're expected to understand. Same with OA to Gold Beach.

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Yes that, and all of the NPC are well....relatively flat and useless xD... None of them actually fight rofl
I have been soundly rebuffed! haha. There were some changes I was not aware of because I hadn't played in a bitsy.

I think mostly what I dislike about "weight" is that's all it does, and I never notice it. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe if they scaled to a maximum value...? I really think the reason the bosses scale is to keep them from being pitifully easy when overleveled, disgustingly hard when underleveled, and giving people the option to be "walked" through quests. That may speak to balance in the core of the game... Which is, perhaps, a different beast all together. That and the coding issues, I've never taken any number of people into Duneslam, since I beat everything except otami and SS before the change.

In any case, I appreciate your well thought out posts, your critical thinking concerning balance, gameplay, and new mechanics. I hope to see more of your threads in the future!

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
B-B-B-BeanCup
I have been soundly rebuffed! haha. There were some changes I was not aware of because I hadn't played in a bitsy.

I think mostly what I dislike about "weight" is that's all it does, and I never notice it. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe if they scaled to a maximum value...? I really think the reason the bosses scale is to keep them from being pitifully easy when overleveled, disgustingly hard when underleveled, and giving people the option to be "walked" through quests. That may speak to balance in the core of the game... Which is, perhaps, a different beast all together. That and the coding issues, I've never taken any number of people into Duneslam, since I beat everything except otami and SS before the change.

In any case, I appreciate your well thought out posts, your critical thinking concerning balance, gameplay, and new mechanics. I hope to see more of your threads in the future!
Yeah. My theory was if we made weight useful, even slightly, it might be a better system. Kinda like upgrading it from sleds which only work on ice, to wheels which work in more places.

As for scaling well... they've never really been overly successful in scaling, except with say the Endboss scenarios.

@Zen and Regorund: Yes, a bit more direction in the early game would be nice. I'd also kinda like to see the Sea Lab encounter altered. A lot of people complain it's too wordy, but at the same time, I like the level of plot there. Maybe a Sea-Lab-Library with the G'hi and Animated plot points in it? Completely optional, but the plot is still there.

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
yes, one huge a** info dump like that is ridiculous. They don't even do that in games like Zelda rofl

Never ending monologue #1 and #2 need to be cut or something rofl

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Bump this worthy thread!

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Regorund
EmperorZensekai

I think the transition between each zone needs a bit more fleshing out. Going from Bass'ken Lake to Old Aqueduct, for example, seems more like something that you're expected to understand. Same with OA to Gold Beach.

Qixter was working on this I know but it was put on hold until the mini events could be completed. Small staff you know...
Jesus Christ you still write too much! Anyway by reading the tl;dr section, I'm gonna have to agree
dawdafafawfwafgwagfea talk2hand

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
A Faker
Jesus Christ you still write too much! Anyway by reading the tl;dr section, I'm gonna have to agree
xd

I'm going to try cutting down on the wordiness of some of the sections, probably today. It won't be much of an improvement though.

Sensual Soul

Qixter was working on this I know but it was put on hold until the mini events could be completed. Small staff you know...
Yes, I recall him mentioning it in one of my earlier threads.

EmperorZensekai
yes, one huge a** info dump like that is ridiculous. They don't even do that in games like Zelda rofl

Never ending monologue #1 and #2 need to be cut or something rofl
All the plot is condensed down into the final boss encounter ._.;

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Legit Bump.

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
never ending monologue is not an exaggeration xD.... that thing is soooooooo sadly long.....
I'm certain they could cut that in half too, it is very easy to reword it to be more precise.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
EmperorZensekai
never ending monologue is not an exaggeration xD.... that thing is soooooooo sadly long.....
I'm certain they could cut that in half too, it is very easy to reword it to be more precise.
I need to try and reword my posts to be more precise.

Problem is, people invariably take things the wrong way when you try to be precise. I found this out the hard way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff