Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
xFyex

The beta was an oversight that the zOMG team had stated in an ATA once. They had said that the game isn't in beta anymore just that they were merely too lazy to take that word off which I find funny if the game is a fully functioning one then why keep the word beta and not just get rid of it. It doesn't take that much time to delete a word from code.

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
azndreams
Lady Primrose

I really don't feel like tracking down all the articles and info, but I do remember the admins had given us an insight as to how much zOMG costs. They initially thought hey this is gonna be a cool MMO and they had a full team of devs, artists, and coders working on. I would say 10 or more people this was way back when it first was released and then they revealed that between server costs and staff costs and everything else in the background that zOMG was costing them upwards of 2 million a month. I find that highly sketchy, but hey that's what the admins had told us.

Well if someone wants to cite the source material for you then I would be happy to go over it and respond. Sounds like BS to me though. Considering anybody who is coming up with an MMO has to look at estimated upkeep cost for staff payroll, servers, maintenance and etc in order to even weigh the risk/gain benefits of attempting a venture such as this. The basic sense of the business is to KNOW what it is going to cost you before you actually go for it. 2million dollar drain every month would have decimated the company realistically considering they werent very large

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
azndreams
xFyex

The beta was an oversight that the zOMG team had stated in an ATA once. They had said that the game isn't in beta anymore just that they were merely too lazy to take that word off which I find funny if the game is a fully functioning one then why keep the word beta and not just get rid of it. It doesn't take that much time to delete a word from code.

Thanks for clarifying but my point does remain valid that some games simply stay in beta for their duration of existence. I actually think i remember hearing about that Beta message thing as well lol not sure

Smitten Hoarder

17,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Love Machine 150
Lady Primrose
Nyebe
i think deep down we all knew this was gonna happen sooner or later, with the general apathy of gaia toward its members
what really angers me is how they lied to us and faked interest in the game, when they were gonna take it down anyway

I was one of the few thinking it would be good news i guess.

me too crying

Greedy Gearhead

11,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Eh, I'm not too affected.

If anything, I can sell what little I had that was valuable from it.

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Lady Primrose

I know some games stay in beta and that's just how the final product is released, but just the word alone confused a lot of people and I'm glad the staff cleared it up yet still so many people used that word as a way to make an argument or say well you see this is why so and so thing because it's still in beta. I just remember I used to be all about the zOMG news and played it daily, but when it went into maintenance mode I stopped stalking the zOMG forums daily like I used to.

Magic Seeker

12,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
azndreams
xFyex

Thanks for the info. c:

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
xFyex

You're welcome.

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
I am just supremely disappointed in what Gaia has become. Im seeing people leave already. In fact 4 of my friends have already messaged me telling me they were quitting neutral

Otherworldly Comrade

19,065 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
This really sucks. I honestly would be fine if they had just left it, bugs and all, instead of taking it down sad

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Lady Primrose

Maybe I was off on my numbers, but I swear in an ATA that an admin themselves stated that it costs around 2million to run zOMG then again that could of been for a whole year and this could of been after 2011. Still I found this nifty thing: Cost Breakdown

Dedicated Gaian

41,975 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I find it very hard to believe they even considered 'fixing' zOMG! Why else would they put the game locations in Towns 2? It's intended as a sop for all the lovers of the game. "Hey, don't worry! We still have zOMG! for you...look it's in Towns now. Of, course you can't actually do anything there, but what the hey? It looks pretty! Right?"

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Aria_Of_The_Shadows
This really sucks. I honestly would be fine if they had just left it, bugs and all, instead of taking it down sad

At this stage in zOMG! they probably had a massive error which was accrued through general malfeasance in handling their servers maintenance and bug patches and without the will or manpower to handle it, they cut the limb off instead of trying to brace it to prevent breaking. The truth is they handled it poorly and someone else could probably do a better job in their sleep than they did. They neglected it and when everything piled up and they didnt want to afford to fix it they figured "eh it will be alright what is the worse that can happen"

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
azndreams
Lady Primrose

Maybe I was off on my numbers, but I swear in an ATA that an admin themselves stated that it costs around 2million to run zOMG then again that could of been for a whole year and this could of been after 2011. Still I found this nifty thing: Cost Breakdown

249,711 which is a number this person drew out of their rear end really. Regardless of how lucrative a profession can be there are always low paid employees in companies. They might earn more than others at the company but their salaries could have been anywhere between much less or much more. Im speaking specifically about the artists and programmers. in any case the claim on this thread is 249,711 is how much per year they pay to maintain the game at an estimate (which is either grossly overestimated or underestimated) We simply cant know how much they make without them releasing that information to the public so we have no REAL way of knowing the numbers unless they tell us. in any case a quarter of a million is nothing to blow your nose at for a game coming from a company this small

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Anyways I am getting offline for the night, or maybe I just won't come back
Love Peace And Most Of All Chicken Grease.

Take care duckies and keep floating :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces