welp im out!
peace!
goodluck in the real world

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Wow, people are really burning Gaia for this. I mean like brutally. They kind of deserve it. Instead of pushing out so many GC ads (which by the way I HATE. if anyone knows how to disable that let me know)

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
welp im out!
peace!

take care farewell and hold on to your items in the event that gaia comes back from this and your items are worth tons of gold

Not a Bear's Husband

Golden Rogue

18,490 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
I guess what gets at me is the question of what changed? I mean here's roughly the sequence of events

a) they develop zOMG; new and fun lots of seasonal events blah blah blah
b) time wears on; for whatever business reasons they aren't going to do anything more with zomg; but they announce they'll keep it up as is and call it "permanent maintenance" or something like that.
c) zomg goes along static as it always had been.
d) zomg goes along static as always.
e) staff panics "OMG! there's something horribly wrong with zOMG we've got to fix it or the whole world is going to blow up!"
f) "Ma'am, we're sorry, but the patient died on the operating table."

I'd just like to know wth happened between stage d and stage e. Why was zOMG able to cruise along for all these years with this critical problem in it's foundations, but NOW it's become an issue?

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose
Artistz
welp im out!
peace!

take care farewell and hold on to your items in the event that gaia comes back from this and your items are worth tons of gold

yeah ill keep them just in case

i kind of deep down hope gaia does not die while i'm away but at the same time, maybe it should
farewell 3nodding

Magic Seeker

12,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Lady Primrose
I feel like offering a prize to whoever can come up with the best counter-argument to my post

So wow and amaze me and you might win something awesome

I love and adore zg, but I'll give it a shot. o 3 o;;

From the start, not a lot of GaiaOnline's members play zg and, in the State of zOMG!, it reportedly did not reach the desired goals. Money is hinted to be a factor with the question, "If it's not bringing in enough money, why not completely get rid of it?", so it wouldn't be as farfetched to say that the players weren't able to support the game financially. The fact that it remained so long in beta mode can be taken as proof that the zg community wasn't large enough or strong enough to sway decisions. It is true that zg has a very loyal player base and the loss of the game will have an impact over GaiaOnline as a whole, however, due to the hyperinflation, many people had left and tried other means of earning gold. Not to mention, the "40-60% of the people who said the only reason they stayed on Gaia for zOMG!" aren't all regular players, but some can be those that log in in their spare time or for memory's sake.
The player base itself was small, combined with the "great migration" due to the inflation, there were not many players left. In fact, players might have gradually left long ago. So, the decrease of gaians from the loss of zg will not cause a big of a dent.
It wasn't GaiaOnline taking shortcuts, rather it was the over-reaching and the assumption that the majority of gaians would be regular players that landed them in such a harsh position.

...Did I do good? ;v;

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
SimonEimon
I guess what gets at me is the question of what changed? I mean here's roughly the sequence of events

a) they develop zOMG; new and fun lots of seasonal events blah blah blah
b) time wears on; for whatever business reasons they aren't going to do anything more with zomg; but they announce they'll keep it up as is and call it "permanent maintenance" or something like that.
c) zomg goes along static as it always had been.
d) zomg goes along static as always.
e) staff panics "OMG! there's something horribly wrong with zOMG we've got to fix it or the whole world is going to blow up!"
f) "Ma'am, we're sorry, but the patient died on the operating table."

I'd just like to know wth happened between stage d and stage e. Why was zOMG able to cruise along for all these years with this critical problem in it's foundations, but NOW it's become a problem?

The issue is, that with all MMOs data corruption occurs, maintenance has to be handled carefully and server resets must occur while bugs are fixed and the game is patched. then there are data leakages that have to be sealed off for lack of a better word. All in all it was a miracle that zOMG! lasted as long as it did because all of these problems together piling up should have made it unplayable after a short period. Gaia simply wanted to milk the cash cow as long as they could before calling it quits. They essentially let the game get to the breaking point before pulling it for a maintenance block (which was simply a farce to allow them time to break the news the best way possible) In all honesty though I doubt they imagined the outcry would be this bad

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
If we have the resources I think now's the time to use this:
User Image

15,515 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Fanciulla
To be honest, I kind of called this immediately after they said they were going to take zOMG down for "maintenance". Let's face it, zOMG didn't make enough money for Gaia, especially not compared to all of the stuff they've been pushing out in the Cash Shops. It's kind of like they tried to quietly remove zOMG without creating too much uproar before completely pulling the plug. I doubt they ever had any intention of bringing it back.

Did you ever have an old toy that may have been falling apart that you really loved n' junk, then your mom or whoever decided to take it away from you one day, insisting that they were going to fix it or clean it? And then you never saw it again? Yeah. That's basically what happened, if that makes any sense.
lol yes this makes sense that's what they did to us shame shame on you gaia

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
xFyex
Lady Primrose
I feel like offering a prize to whoever can come up with the best counter-argument to my post

So wow and amaze me and you might win something awesome

I love and adore zg, but I'll give it a shot. o 3 o;;

From the start, not a lot of GaiaOnline's members play zg and, in the State of zOMG!, it reportedly did not reach the desired goals. Money is hinted to be a factor with the question, "If it's not bringing in enough money, why not completely get rid of it?", so it wouldn't be as farfetched to say that the players weren't able to support the game financially. The fact that it remained so long in beta mode can be taken as proof that the zg community wasn't large enough or strong enough to sway decisions. It is true that zg has a very loyal player base and the loss of the game will have an impact over GaiaOnline as a whole, however, due to the hyperinflation, many people had left and tried other means of earning gold. Not to mention, the "40-60% of the people who said the only reason they stayed on Gaia for zOMG!" aren't all regular player, but rather those that log in in their spare time or for memory's sake.
The player base itself was small, combined with the "great migration" due to the inflation, there were not many players left. In fact, players might have gradually left long ago. So, the decrease of gaians from the loss of zg will not cause a big of a dent.
It wasn't GaiaOnline taking shortcuts, rather it was the over-reaching and the assumption that the majority of gaians would be regular players that landed them in such a harsh position.

...Did I do good? ;v;

Ill highlight your points that i disagree with first then the ones i agree with after.
1. Many Games Never Make It Past Beta.
This doesn't make the games good or bad, or that they don't make money (netting red in any fiscal quarter for that department) Simply that they make marginal returns to maintain the current version but cannot afford to reinvest into another version of the game yet.
2. The admin mentioned that all funds that Gaia receives as a result of their GC sales, of zOMG! and other money making ventures all go into a giant pool for Gaia Interactive itself. Which means to say that they were never in the red simply not allocating the funding properly to ensure a more longer lasting supply of revenue from its members
3.that 40-60% was in terms of how many people will leave of those that said the only reason they stayed was for zOMG! not the actual number of people on the site itself who stayed because of the game. So that point is invalid
4. The revenues lost in the resulting shutdown of zOMG! may not have a large enough affect on Gaia Interactive as a whole but remember that every little bit stacks up eventually and it is always better to be in the black than in the red fiscally
5. As for the population, I can see it going 1 or 2 ways. Mass Exodus or zOMG! players leaving. It can either be big or small which is why the amount of people who stayed for zOMG! was at 40-60% in terms of who of those users would leave.

I do agree on this though(the bit about overreaching): 'It wasn't GaiaOnline taking shortcuts, rather it was the over-reaching and the assumption that the majority of gaians would be regular players that landed them in such a harsh position.'

I like your argument but a lot of it has several counterpoints that run contradictory to your statements

Smitten Hoarder

17,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Love Machine 150
i think deep down we all knew this was gonna happen sooner or later, with the general apathy of gaia toward its members
what really angers me is how they lied to us and faked interest in the game, when they were gonna take it down anyway

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Nyebe
i think deep down we all knew this was gonna happen sooner or later, with the general apathy of gaia toward its members
what really angers me is how they lied to us and faked interest in the game, when they were gonna take it down anyway

I was one of the few thinking it would be good news i guess.

MeIanite's Princess

Illuminated Demigod

I truly believed they were going to do maintenance on zOMG and in a few moths it would be back with more events and updates. I thought it would be like the old days again where zOMG was packed on every server constantly. I thought I'd finally be able to kill Kamila and meet new friends. Earlier when I clicked on the announcement the last thing I expected was for them to say they got rid of it; forever. I thought the announcement would say "maintenance is running smoothly and it will be back by Christmas".
Boy was I shocked...

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Sunset Illu
I truly believed they were going to do maintenance on zOMG and in a few moths it would be back with more events and updates. I thought it would be like the old days again where zOMG was packed on every server constantly. I thought I'd finally be able to kill Kamila and meet new friends. Earlier when I clicked on the announcement the last thing I expected was for them to say they got rid of it; forever. I thought the announcement would say "maintenance is running smoothly and it will be back by Christmas".
Boy was I shocked...

Yeah I was shocked too. I really wish they hadn't dropped zOMG! like this.

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Lady Primrose

I really don't feel like tracking down all the articles and info, but I do remember the admins had given us an insight as to how much zOMG costs. They initially thought hey this is gonna be a cool MMO and they had a full team of devs, artists, and coders working on. I would say 10 or more people this was way back when it first was released and then they revealed that between server costs and staff costs and everything else in the background that zOMG was costing them upwards of 2 million a month. I find that highly sketchy, but hey that's what the admins had told us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff