• Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose

i think half of gaia is quitting tonight
and i was just going to take a break until i saw this
i usually get on for months and get off for more months so i guess ill leave eventually too
my childhood ruined i guess
i guess we should have known and some people did know or felt it

Yeah tbh I kind of feel like just logging for the night, or forever right now....
I'm really just staying on at this point to get peoples opinions and read all of the outcry

same here, trying to see peoples opinions as well

guess what? another gaia cash announcement:

Gaia cash

uuuuuuugghhhhh

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose

i usually get on for months and get off for more months so i guess ill leave eventually too

Yeah tbh I kind of feel like just logging for the night, or forever right now....
I'm really just staying on at this point to get peoples opinions and read all of the outcry

Gaia cash

uuuuuuugghhhhh

Yeah i saw that and almost hoped they had retracted the statement before seeing it was a gaia cash advertisement....then i just wanted to shake my screen until it died

Conservative Sex Symbol

To be honest, I kind of called this immediately after they said they were going to take zOMG down for "maintenance". Let's face it, zOMG didn't make enough money for Gaia, especially not compared to all of the stuff they've been pushing out in the Cash Shops. It's kind of like they tried to quietly remove zOMG without creating too much uproar before completely pulling the plug. I doubt they ever had any intention of bringing it back.

Did you ever have an old toy that may have been falling apart that you really loved n' junk, then your mom or whoever decided to take it away from you one day, insisting that they were going to fix it or clean it? And then you never saw it again? Yeah. That's basically what happened, if that makes any sense.

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Fanciulla
To be honest, I kind of called this immediately after they said they were going to take zOMG down for "maintenance". Let's face it, zOMG didn't make enough money for Gaia, especially not compared to all of the stuff they've been pushing out in the Cash Shops. It's kind of like they tried to quietly remove zOMG without creating too much uproar before completely pulling the plug. I doubt they ever had any intention of bringing it back.

Did you ever have an old toy that may have been falling apart that you really loved n' junk, then your mom or whoever decided to take it away from you one day, insisting that they were going to fix it or clean it? And then you never saw it again? Yeah. That's basically what happened, if that makes any sense.

that makes sense
its like loosing an old game that just sat around the house waiting for you to play it sad

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose

Gaia cash

uuuuuuugghhhhh

Yeah i saw that and almost hoped they had retracted the statement before seeing it was a gaia cash advertisement....then i just wanted to shake my screen until it died

i want to shake my screen as well, must not cry gonk

Conservative Sex Symbol

Stay strong, friends. </3

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Fanciulla

I love that you put this into your argument because I actually have a response to that. The fact is that they weren't losing money on the game period. And if you recall the admin on Ask The Staff mentioned that resources which were received through any means were all directly put into Gaia Interactive, including zOMG! Which means to say that while they did not reallocate money into the game they could have just as easily allocated money from other money earning venues towards the MMO itself. They even go so far as to mention that it is essentially a pool of money that is drawn from and sent to various departments of the company itself. So all of the money was in one single pool. You ever try to get a specific drop of water out of a well that you really really want? No, because there is no specific drop from a pool or well until you draw from it. The point I am making is that despite the fact that the game wasn't earning a large sum, they were in fact in the black fiscally for the time and cost of the game itself. If they weren't making money off of it then it would have been pulled much sooner considering how expensive and taxing it would be to manage a game for such a small community (compared to ESO or something like Tera, ArcheAge)

EDIT: I was never given toys as a child. So can't say that I honestly had a toy that my mother cared about much less cared enough about to throw away because it was broken. Even if I had she would have just tossed it and told me she did.

EDIT2: As a side note the whole premise of this response is made with the idea that although the game brought in marginal returns to the company, had they invested earlier than now and built the game up better it would have had longer term revenues for them which they would have easily made back through GC purchases like they normally would have.

Anxious Fairy

I SERIOUSLY hope that this choice of theirs cripples the gaia population critically.
Maybe I'm being to sensitive and mean about it but I don't like what gaia has become.

I started on gaia in about late 2008 and I've taken a few big breaks from it so I've definitely seen gaia change. The constant cash announcements are so annoying. But basically I don't think they're ever going to turn gaia back into the lovely community and website that it used to be unless something catastrophic happens (even then they probably won't fix every new problem). I hope this is just the catastrophic event that does it. If everyone leaves or even takes enough of a hiatus to drastically lower the number of players at any given time then I think gaia will rethink their actions.

This post was a lot of word vomit and I don't think I said exactly what I wanted but I'm slightly furious and super sad right now over all this and it's hard to collect my thoughts. emotion_donotwant

Angelic Hunter

8,800 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
Artistz
Fanciulla

that makes sense
its like loosing an old game that just sat around the house waiting for you to play it sad

So let me get this straight. Due to the fact that you no longer have anyone left who knows how to fix zOMG! and the people who did got moved you have come to the conclusion that it would be in the best interests of Gaia Online to shut down zOMG! entirely? On face value zOMG! does not generate enough income to pay for proper maintenance as you have stated. However zOMG! also generates a Ghost Income. Yes, a Ghost Income. A large portion of Galians not only like to by the power-ups for zOMG! but like to look cool when they play it. So what do they do? They go and spend more money to look cool on zOMG! because everywhere else, in the loner's option, is irrelevant. Since they only buy the cool items to look cool on zOMG! and not elsewhere this creates an Income that is unable to be monitored. A Ghost Income if you will. Since the removal of zOMG! includes the removal of said Ghost Income, Gaia Online losses profits all around. Gaia Online is already dyeing slowly. The death of zOMG! will cause countless Galians to leave and never come back causing profits to plummet. I am speaking in terms of money as it is a required factor in keeping Gaia Online on the internet and enjoyable to the public as the profits are used for such things. Get the guys back from Gaia Social and give us something we can REALLY enjoy.

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
shade904
Artistz
Fanciulla

that makes sense

So let me get this straight. Due to the fact that you no longer have anyone left who knows how to fix zOMG! and the people who did got moved you have come to the conclusion that it would be in the best interests of Gaia Online to shut down zOMG! entirely? On face value zOMG! does not generate enough income to pay for proper maintenance as you have stated. However zOMG! also generates a Ghost Income. Yes, a Ghost Income. A large portion of Galians not only like to by the power-ups for zOMG! but like to look cool when they play it. So what do they do? They go and spend more money to look cool on zOMG! because everywhere else, in the loner's option, is irrelevant. Since they only buy the cool items to look cool on zOMG! and not elsewhere this creates an Income that is unable to be monitored. A Ghost Income if you will. Since the removal of zOMG! includes the removal of said Ghost Income, Gaia Online losses profits all around. Gaia Online is already dyeing slowly. The death of zOMG! will cause countless Galians to leave and never come back causing profits to plummet. I am speaking in terms of money as it is a required factor in keeping Gaia Online on the internet and enjoyable to the public as the profits are used for such things. Get the guys back from Gaia Social and give us something we can REALLY enjoy.

^ this
you are so right

O.G. Shapeshifter

29,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
so why and what will keep uses here on Gaia anymore?
no good games to play
all the items are over priced in the market place
Gaia has lost the fan base without ZOMG

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
shade904
Artistz
Fanciulla

that makes sense

That was another good point I was going to lead into, thank you.

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
bronxbigred
so why and what will keep uses here on Gaia anymore?
no good games to play
all the items are over priced in the market place
Gaia has lost the fan base without ZOMG

i myself am leaving after tonight
maybe ill get back on after a 4-5 months to find the site dead

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Shade made a very good point and for that I will tip him. Imagine the amount of GC they sell per month as a result of users wanting their characters to look awesome. Now imagine the incentive for the users to buy GC once zOMG! is gone, thereby removing the satisfaction of flaunting well made avatars.

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
I kind of wish they would bring back classic gaia...They had a really good thing going. Look back years ago when they were pushing for the 100k mark on online pop at a time. Not it barely ever touches 30k

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff